The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #161
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Hey, I remember seeing that when JETIX was still just "ABC Family."

Man those were the days....JETIX used to be so badass....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #162
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

After Zeo is kind of when I called it quits on the PR. Cars just didn't seem all that interesting, and the little kid was a little too much. Although Kat was a cutie.

I'm actually trying to find some of the first episodes on YouTube for old times sake. I remember everyone was nuts for this show in elementary school, but I kind of wish my eight year old self had spent more money on X-Men merchandise than MMPR. I tried to catch both shows whenever I could when I was really young.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:16 PM   #163
ZariusTwo
Overlord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYO8n1jQyvc

Found Zeo's finale if it helps...they actually never followed up on the events in this episode.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #164
BigApple3AM
Mad Scientist

I saw the operation overdrive toys at kb/wal-mart. They don't look too hot, I still think that aside from the female rangers, the original toys were the best.

I like the gun thing though, it looks really old school, but kind of cheap looking for the price tag.

Haven't watched a power rangers episode since mighty morphin' but this series looks like a throwback. Maybe I'll try an episode if I catch it on.
BigApple3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #165
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Overdrive is an anniversary season for both PR and Sentai, so yeah, it's more of a throwback. A lot of rumours are circulating that a crossover between several Disney PR team members and Adam from MMPR will be occuring
Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #166
Brodie
Certified Teacher

I loved Adam. Hopefully he'll pull a 'Tommy', and be a ranger.

I've seen the new Override toys, and am holding judgement. Im not too hip to the costumes, though they are better than Mystic force. But I think, compaired to the MMPR, the SPD costumes were the best.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #167
Crazy Davey
New Recruit

Well, I'm a new member to this board, and I'm happy to see I'm not the only PR fan here. Anyone from Rangerboard here?

Anyways, PR and TMNT rock!
Crazy Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:13 PM   #168
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Davey View Post
Well, I'm a new member to this board, and I'm happy to see I'm not the only PR fan here. Anyone from Rangerboard here?

Anyways, PR and TMNT rock!
Right here.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #169
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Just snagged Turbo A Power Ranger Movie...And...Its not that good, compaired to the first one.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:37 PM   #170
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Turbo was godawful, be it series or film. Justin should've been shot immediately. But the Zords were cool.

In Fact, they're showing repeats of Turbo these days on our TV. Yesterday the episode with ERUTAN was on, where Nature, cleverly disguised as ERUTAN, helps the Red Ranger defeat an awful monster. The Zords were there too, but that was about it.I think the writers were really high when they came up with this episode.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #171
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Just snagged Turbo A Power Ranger Movie...And...Its not that good, compaired to the first one.
The first movie is overrated. T:APRM is a true PR movie, it moves the story along in canon, it relied on a budget that's rare in theatrical films today (this forced them to improvise, which a lot of films need to start learning how to do again) and it actually had some pretty good choreography, more so than the mess of the fight scenes in the first film.

Plus the Zord fight was more reallistic, AND you could tell they were piloting a Zord this time.

As for Turbo...that season gets knocked only because of Justin and at least it's first fifteen episodes, but objectivly, it does get a lot better.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #172
Raven
follower of Jesus

just recently got a chance to watch the 1st movie, its been so long that I forgot about how the corny little things they did in that movie (and the show as well).

Heh I couldnt help but move around the next day and make a sound effect for every action I did.

But not all that bad of a movie, not great but fun to watch.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:53 AM   #173
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Justin is a terrible addition, but I have to say the rest isn't bad. The movie runs like a few PR episodes. I didn't mind it, I just didnt like It as much as the first. Though youre right zarius in the sense that its more like a budget based film. (I think The Punisher is more based on a budget as a comic book based film too)
And the costumes arent bad compaired to the later series, I.E. Zeo, Mystic, and such.

But I'm biased to MMPR, and SPD.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #174
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Justin is a terrible addition, but I have to say the rest isn't bad. The movie runs like a few PR episodes. I didn't mind it, I just didnt like It as much as the first. Though youre right zarius in the sense that its more like a budget based film. (I think The Punisher is more based on a budget as a comic book based film too)
And the costumes arent bad compaired to the later series, I.E. Zeo, Mystic, and such.

But I'm biased to MMPR, and SPD.
Well techincally that's entirely Toie's fault the coustumes are getting more and more inconsistent. Overdrive's coustumes look to be the final good ones for a while...
Old 01-01-2007, 07:35 AM   #175
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

The Gekiranger-Suits don't look too bad, if you ask me. Better than Mystic Force, anyways.

The Rangers

The weapons - Nunchucks! They'll be called Teenage Morphin Hero Rangers in the UK and the nunchucks will be replaced with a grappling hook. I can see it coming.

The morphers.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #176
Brodie
Certified Teacher

It doesn't take much to be better than Mystic Force. I find it odd that the Overdrive costumes look a lot like the bootleg PR figures my grandparents would get me at the dollar stores. Not to say thats bad, they just look very similar.

And the ones you posted, Anarky, are odd, just in the fact that the mouth gaurd thing isn't a different color, nor do they have belts. But the shape of the helmets themselves and the visors, those look cool. Very angular, almost like the psycho rangers.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #177
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Now that you mention it... the mouthpieces are a different colour in the picture where the three rangers are posing in front of the landscape but they're the same in all the other pictures.

And I really like the design, it gets the Rangers away from looking like clowns in tight suits, since the helmets have a kind of menacing look to them.

When does Overdrive start to air anyways? I'm willing to give it a chance after I completely skipped Mystic Force.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #178
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

I think I still have the VHS of the Power Rangers movie around somewhere. I kinda feel like watching it to see how well it has aged. Probably not as well as the Ninja Turtles movie, I've got that feeling already. But I remember being a kid and being so excited for that movie, and felt it was like the best thing since Star Wars (easy to impress and hadn't seen many movies back then).
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #179
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

I don't think it's aged too well, if you ask me. But it isn't because of the acting or the Zords, it's just that Jason and Tommy and co. aren't THE Rangers anymore. Nowadays, the Rangers are called Vida, Xander and whatnot and they're wizards and ride on supersonic brooms. They're just different people. And while CGI-Zord-models might make for some neat special effects and better Zord action, I don't feel like PRM had bad Zordfights and all that
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #180
Brodie
Certified Teacher

I just recently found a comic/toy shop in Syracuse that has a heavier emphasis on Japanese toys and such. The had the Japanese Power Ranger toys, specifically Mystic and Overdrive. I find it odd that these figures are so much more simple, yet better than the American ones. They had cool details like folds in the suits, and such, also small holsters for weapons. But very little articulation. They had shoulder joints, and a waist joint.

Tags
power rangers