The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #241
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Starting to get annoying on social media. Everyone is really acting like this movie is the first movie in history to be 3 hours.
Really? With famous movies like Dances with Wolves, Titanic, LOTR all clocking over 3 hours, now people have a problem with the times?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #242
Leo656
The Franchise

The industry has been pushing for shorter running times for quite a while, to increase the number of showtimes per day and in turn overall ticket sales.

Aside from that, though, to the media in general super-hero movies "aren't real movies" and thus are "undeserving" of taking up so much real estate. So I'm not surprised that the media is choosing to make a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #243
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So you wanted a character whose name wasn't even in the title of the film to "go over", despite the fact that they were obviously doing a "Death of Superman" pastiche simply by including Doomsday in the first place? Interesting.

The criticism people try and come up with for that movie continues to be some of the worst I've personally ever heard.
Characters acting stupid is bad writing. Regardless if it references some comic or not.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #244
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #245
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
I guess when you have the attention span of a "Flo from Progressive" commercial, three hours is about as daunting as performing open-heart surgery on your favorite dog. Without anesthetic.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #246
Leo656
The Franchise

How is it acting stupid? He's implicitly much more powerful than Wonder Woman (I seriously doubt she could have stopped the World Engine after all), and they'd already spent the previous half hour firmly establishing that this version of Kryptonite doesn't cause immediate crippling death and/or paralysis (which again, is fairly consistent with some, but not all, portrayals). I can easily cite dozens of examples from several different media of Superman "playing through the pain" and shrugging off the effects of Kryptonite - temporarily - through sheer force of will.

A lot of people are like, "OMG dood Kryptonite he shouldn't be able to even move", but that's generally NOT how Kryptonite works. Sometimes yes, mostly No. Again, they'd literally just spent a long time establishing "the rules" of how it worked.

Even weakened by the radiation, he was ultimately the only one powerful enough to drive the spear through Doomsday. Plus, Diana was too busy (barely) keeping him restrained with the lasso. And I've heard people say how "easily" she was handling Doomsday but that's frankly horse sh*t. She was surviving but really only managed to get in all of one good shot.

Finally, from the meta-fictional standpoint, the entire story hinged upon Superman making a heroic sacrifice, because nothing less than that would "prove" that he was actually a Good Guy to everyone who felt otherwise. That was the entire point of the movie.

Zack also loves the movie "Excalibur" and decided to mimic the ending. Which is actually kinda funny.

Anyway, it's like saying he was "stupid" in the comics for not just calling Green Lantern or someone to drop Doomsday into a black hole, rather than for he and Doomsday to punch each other to death. Sure, that's one story they might have written but they didn't. In both cases, they said "How do we kill Superman?" and worked backwards from there.

Frankly, I liked it a lot better than, "They just punched each other really, REALLY hard." For purposes of dramatic effect, it worked a lot better.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #247
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
as someone who saw all 3 LOTR's and All 3 Hobbits in theaters and never left to use the bathroom during those movies I laughed
Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #248
Leo656
The Franchise

I over-indulged a little bit during one of my times seeing Return of the King and juuuuust barely made it through.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #249
Prowler
Emperor

I watched a couple of the LOTR movies(Return of the King and the 1st Hobbit movie, to be more specific) at the cinema. No problems. In fact, the movies didn't feel as long as they actually were, especially not the Hobbit movie.

Then again they're pretty good movies, so when you're so into it and entertained by the movie you're not gonna notice the passage of time. It's like when you start a new Civ or FM save file. Next thing you know, 3-4 hours have passed.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #250
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Well, to be fair the MCU does have a far longer total runtime than the Lord of the Rings.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #251
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well, to be fair the MCU does have a far longer total runtime than the Lord of the Rings.
Well, yeah. There's like 20 films. Lord of the Rings is a trilogy, so of course they are longer
Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #252
AquaParade
Banned

I've noticed I have a sort of hypocritical way of thinking when it comes to running time of entertainment.

For instance, I am really happy that this movie is a lengthy three hours. If they told me it was four hours, I'd be even more excited.

Yet, I roll my eyes so hard when I look on a videogame forum and see post after post of "Hmm thinking of picking this game up, how long is it??". I want to tell them to shut up and enjoy the experience, and if it's great enough, you'll replay it. Don't look to fill your time with 25 hours of pointless gameplay just to say you got your money's worth.

I am a hypocrite. Although I do think there is a difference there that I haven't detected and/or articulated as of yet.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #253
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Russos now have to apologize publicly for Captain Marvel wearing makeup in the trailer:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/09/cap...tSNlyqJF91SNXg
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #254
Vegita-San
Emperor

I really wish crap like this was a joke..

but, this is the insane world we live in.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #255
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
The Russos now have to apologize publicly for Captain Marvel wearing makeup in the trailer:

Typical!

I'm pretty sure in just about ever movie that has a scene of people getting out of bed in the morning, the actress has some makeup applied, and possibly a stylized wig too!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:49 PM   #256
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

I find it interesting that the Russo's inform us that Brie and her team decide on her look and makeup, but then you have Jeremy Renner making fun of his own haircut at every opportunity - clearly not his choice to rock that mohawk.

So, I wonder how all of that comes into play and how they manage the looks of the characters. Maybe it's baked into certain contracts?
Old 04-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #257
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
What's wrong with her wearing make-up? Even in the comics she has made reference to doing so, even telling Chewie at one point that she feels strange and "not herself" for even caring about how she looks. (She was presumably nervous about going on a date, I think, and had little experience using it, but felt it was important enough to do so.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #259
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
What's wrong with her wearing make-up?
Absolutely nothing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #260
AquaParade
Banned

I think it's a fair question to ask the Russo's. It could lead to an interesting answer, it could be story related. Nobody knew.

Maybe the issue is with websites trying to turn it into clickbait? Acting like there may be controversy, but when you click on it, it's really just the matter of personal choice on Brie's part.

I guess I'm sort of missing why that article is even a talking point?

Tags
avengers cuckgame, captain marvel saves day