The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #221
oldmanwinters
Overlord

8 minutes of Sonic Mania gameplay:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/123...gameplay-video

Crafty redesign of Green Hill. My favorite part is the tricky hill hop or fall to spring that starts around the 2:15 mark.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #222
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Yeah, now that I see more of it, definitely not into it.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #223
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah, now that I see more of it, definitely not into it.
What's not to love?

View my sketch work!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #224
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Sonic Mania looks fun to me. I would't mind playing it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #225
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Looks good.

I know Sonic is a lighter shade of blue in this game to match his modern classic artwork, but I like how it makes it feel like a continuation of the art style from Knuckles Chaotix. Knuckles had a lighter shade of red in that game. Really does add to the idea that this would've been the next Sonic game had the series continued in this style.

Studiopolis gives me more of a Tempo vibe then a Sonic vibe, both games tackle the same surreal 90s imagery so it's understandable.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #226
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
What's not to love?
Green Hill Zone, for one.
The graphics are ugly.
Nothing about it looks terribly exciting or new to me.

I'm more interested in the other one, even though I hope it doesn't stick with a super serious tone.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #227
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Green Hill Zone, for one.
The graphics are ugly.
Nothing about it looks terribly exciting or new to me.

I'm more interested in the other one, even though I hope it doesn't stick with a super serious tone.
The gameplay and level design is what is really getting me excited.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
Looks good.

I know Sonic is a lighter shade of blue in this game to match his modern classic artwork, but I like how it makes it feel like a continuation of the art style from Knuckles Chaotix. Knuckles had a lighter shade of red in that game. Really does add to the idea that this would've been the next Sonic game had the series continued in this style.

Studiopolis gives me more of a Tempo vibe then a Sonic vibe, both games tackle the same surreal 90s imagery so it's understandable.
http://www.sega-16.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9.gif
The first footage also gave me a very 32X vibe, and I loved it for being a logical progression of that style. Tempo was the one 32X game I never owned but wanted to play, even though the music and gameplay seem underwhelming to me on YouTube. It had some great sprite animation though, and it looks like SonicMania does as well.

View my sketch work!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #228
Turo602
The King of Kings

While I love the new animations in Sonic Mania, why couldn't the game look like this?

I get what they were going for but it's not exactly necessary. Not that I hate the way the game looks now, but the graphics could have definitely been improved and no one would have been angry because the design and gameplay are the important things to preserve here, not the 16 bit graphics. Just like people are digging the new expressiveness of Sonic, they would have totally appreciated some HD visuals.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #229
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

That would have been great. It looks awesome.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #230
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
While I love the new animations in Sonic Mania, why couldn't the game look like this?
Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead already answered that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taxman
All the screens and footage of GHZ are from the playable demo, which was just the first act. GHZ Act 1 is probably the tamest classic level of the lot, but I can't say much more than that until Sega reveals more info on the story and stuff in the future.

The reception for Sonic Mania has been pretty wild, and I'm really happy most people seem to dig it. I realise Saturn-esque retro 2D stuff isn't for everyone but this was the most effective way for our indie sized team to develop a good chunk of fun content in the time frame, rather than something like 4 zones with potentially forgettable HD graphics.

P.S. there are some nice CRT filters in addition to those "highest quality, uncompressed pixels"
For a small development team that probably doesn't even have a dozen people working on it, I think it looks great.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #231
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Christian "The Taxman" Whitehead already answered that:

For a small development team that probably doesn't even have a dozen people working on it, I think it looks great.
Thanks for digging up that quote! Count me among those Saturn-esque aficionados!

View my sketch work!
Old 07-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #232
Turo602
The King of Kings

The fan remake that I showed above was also made by a small group of people. I also don't like how "HD graphics" turned into "potentially forgettable HD graphics" just because he couldn't do it. Honestly, I don't think there's any good excuse other than they're trying to do this quick which already sounds bad.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #233
Mew
Banned

Sonic Mania looks fantastic. I'm sure it will be fun.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #234
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
The fan remake that I showed above was also made by a small group of people. I also don't like how "HD graphics" turned into "potentially forgettable HD graphics" just because he couldn't do it. Honestly, I don't think there's any good excuse other than they're trying to do this quick which already sounds bad.
Fan games also have infinite time and no leash from a bigger company.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #235
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Yeah, but that's kind of my point. There shouldn't be a leash and if a bigger company is behind this thing, then why can't they make it look better than a fan game? I would have accepted if the graphics were like that as a way of recapturing the feeling of playing Sonic on the Genesis but to say that it was done because HD graphics are potentially forgettable and because they could accomplish more in the time it'd take to make 4 zones in HD just doesn't sound good to me considering Sega is behind this. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much digging the game, but it's hard not to be a little disappointed when you know better exist. Like those Unreal Engine 4 videos of Ocarina of Time.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #236
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Exactly. That fan project you showed has been in development for eight years. It's still not even close to being done.

Also his "4 zones with potentially forgettable HD graphics" was a jab at the official Sonic the Hedgehog 4 which, well those games speak for themselves.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #237
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Exactly. That fan project you showed has been in development for eight years. It's still not even close to being done.

Also his "4 zones with potentially forgettable HD graphics" was a jab at the official Sonic the Hedgehog 4 which, well those games speak for themselves.
Which wouldn't take nearly as long if it were backed by Sega.

So my question wasn't answered then? Because I never said why couldn't it look like Sonic The Hedgehog 4, I said why couldn't it look like Sonic 2 HD. One game has 3D visuals the other is a lot more simple by comparison.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #238
ssjup81
Foot Elite

So...what exactly was wrong with Sonic 4? I remember having fun playing through it. The controls worked okay, no problems there. It ran like an old-school Sonic game...so what was the problem?

Anyway, came across this video. Nice easter eggs...

Last edited by ssjup81; 07-29-2016 at 04:14 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #239
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
So...what exactly was wrong with Sonic 4? I remember having fun playing through it. The controls worked okay, no problems there. It ran like an old-school Sonic game...so what was the problem?

Anyway, came across this video. Nice easter eggs...
I enjoyed Sonic The Hedgehog 4 very much. It wasn't a bad game by any means, but it failed miserably at recreating the classic Sonic experience. Something Generations later went on to do correctly and now Sonic Mania even more so.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #240
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was backed by Sega so...yeah.

It's been explained multiple times why they don't have enough time to make hand drawn style graphics. Even with all the money in the world there's only so much you can get done in time when you have less then a handful of people working. Taxman's team is simply to small to work on something like that.

Who knows? Maybe if the game is successful enough they can get a bigger team and tackle a more advanced art style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Well, Sonic 4 controlled adequately at best and had questionable level design at worst. Sonic 4 stirs of a lot of controversy with some fans, but to summarize the game was just mediocre. The game was billed as a sequel to Sonic CD, one of the most popular games in the entire series, and for it to be a mostly forgettable game didn't sit well with some people, neither does the fact that Dimps' own Sonic Advance managed to be a far more faithful game to the classics than Sonic 4 did.

Not to mention the same year as the release of Episode 2 the fan games Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel came out and pretty much toppled Sonic 4 in every category imaginable.

Some people can't stand it, some people don't see anything wrong with it, there never seems to be a middle ground with Sonic 4.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic