The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-03-2023, 04:53 PM   #1
Lil G
Stone Warrior

I Want To Contribute To TMNT

Hey! So this is a wild shot in the dark, and I haven't posted on here in years but trust that I'm a regular Technodrome lurker and avid TMNT fan. Some of you may remember me, and to those who do: Hey! I hope life is treating you well!

I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post here. I've had this dream since I was a kid of working on an official TMNT project. No specific medium, just would love to contribute to TMNT at least once in my life. Even something as small as naming a character, or an idea for a plot, would be a dream come true. I don't need my name attached, I just want to contribute.

I'm not sure if this post can actually be a catalyst of any sort for the possibility of it happening, but as time goes by it sits heavy on my heart and I'd like to say I gave it a try.

So, all that being said, if there is anybody who can help me with this please PM me or reply here and thank you for taking the time to read! I hope you have a good day!
Lil G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:27 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only way this could happen in an official capacity is getting to work on the comics. They're currently being published by IDW, so unless you can somehow land a job as a writer/artist on that series, it's very unlikely.

As of now there's no new cartoon in the air and the movies are handled by *Hollywood so there's no other realistic way for a fan to contribute.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:05 PM   #3
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

It's a long shot and the chances of actually getting through are very slim indeed.

I contacted IDW, I contacted Ciero Nielli and I contacted Greg Cipes, but so far, I got no reply back. People who have seen my "The full 80%" comic, asked me why I haven't submitted it to a publisher yet, and I constantly have to remind them that TMNT doesn't belong to me and I would be sued if I released it.

So yeah, I also want to contribute to TMNT, I have ideas for storylines and I can draw, but actually getting there is difficult.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

My honest recommendation? Forget about TMNT for now, without the foot in the door it's just going to be a pipe dream. Try to be more general for now and just focus on being an artist/author of fiction, I'm not saying to completely forget about working on TMNT, I kind of have my own fantasies in that regard but it's not a good idea to make it your immediate goal.

For now, just try to get your own work published or see if you can get a job working on just about any franchise, prove yourself a competent creative and maybe Paramount/IDW will give you the chance to work on TMNT. It's not an impossibility but keep in mind that you should first and foremost be considered an artist/author, not a contributor to TMNT. It's not like you have to work on TMNT for your work to mean anything, you can even take inspiration from TMNT if you want to.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 06:39 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Case in point, all the people who worked on modern versions of TMNT like Ciro Nieli for the 2012 cartoon, Tom Waltz on IDW, or the Rise writers/directors have already been part of the cartoon/comic industry for YEARS. Ciro worked on Teen Titans 2003, Tom Waltz had been writing comics for two decades, etc.

The only way to work on TMNT officially is to be an industry veteran, or just get lucky and become an artist on some IDW comics. It's not like they hire some average joe off the street to work on a cartoon or comic.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:43 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Oh wouldn't many of us. (Having a small hand in some part of a 3D animated project would do it for me.) Few probably actually get there, but maybe you'll be one of them if you've got something to offer and reach the right person. Good luck.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:05 PM   #7
Lil G
Stone Warrior

Thank you everyone who has replied so far! Means the world, all perspectives, advice, and kind words are appreciated!
Old 04-03-2023, 07:16 PM   #8
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya it’s better to create some original work first but I guess you could always try LEGO Ideas. A lot of fan creations have been turned into real sets.

I’d love to create something for Sonic. I’d do it for free I don’t care about royalties or anything. I don’t believe I should own something I’m specifically making for another franchise. I’d be making it for Sega.

I think the Green Hill Zone theme and others (excluding MJ and Crush 40) are actually owned by someone else. Crazy right? It’s why they’re not in the movies. Well there’s the brief jingle and Emerald Hill was only in the teaser.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:20 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also, Lil G I remember when you first started posting here in 2007 when you were a kid.. Surprising to check your profile and see you're 26 now! Everyone grew up and became adults over the last 15 years. You should be "Big G" now.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:40 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I don't think this is Make a Wish.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:48 AM   #11
Dpooly84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, I don't think this is Make a Wish.
Lmfao! Damn killer!
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:19 AM   #12
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

I've worked for IDW coloring TMNT covers for the Image reprints. That was many years in the making getting to that point but what started it all off was coloring covers for Andrew's fan conclusion of the Image run.

Through this I met Frank Fosco who was the original artist for the vol 3 Image comics.

Having that connection enabled me to later on get involved with the IDW TMNT 30th Anniversary and Image reprints. So, it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time, making connections and doing a little go getting.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:20 AM   #13
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Problem is, they’re hiring the wrong kind of people… *cough* Rogen *cough* …to contribute to TMNT. You may have all the right stuff and would be perfect for the job, but it’s more likely that they’ll pick a sack of potatoes over you because they’re that dumb.

But you have the potential to do your own projects that could be ten times better than any “official” project, like this:

Or this:

Old 04-04-2023, 10:04 AM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil G View Post
Hey! So this is a wild shot in the dark, and I haven't posted on here in years but trust that I'm a regular Technodrome lurker and avid TMNT fan. Some of you may remember me, and to those who do: Hey! I hope life is treating you well!

I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post here. I've had this dream since I was a kid of working on an official TMNT project. No specific medium, just would love to contribute to TMNT at least once in my life. Even something as small as naming a character, or an idea for a plot, would be a dream come true. I don't need my name attached, I just want to contribute.

I'm not sure if this post can actually be a catalyst of any sort for the possibility of it happening, but as time goes by it sits heavy on my heart and I'd like to say I gave it a try.

So, all that being said, if there is anybody who can help me with this please PM me or reply here and thank you for taking the time to read! I hope you have a good day!
Good for you, man.

I'm not sure you will find any leads here, but I do think that trying to get a cover done for IDW might be your best bet. Maybe you can ask Bobby in the "ask the editor" thread if he has any advice, but I wouldn't expect much because he's not involved with IDW or TMNT anymore.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
I've worked for IDW coloring TMNT covers for the Image reprints. That was many years in the making getting to that point but what started it all off was coloring covers for Andrew's fan conclusion of the Image run.

Through this I met Frank Fosco who was the original artist for the vol 3 Image comics.

Having that connection enabled me to later on get involved with the IDW TMNT 30th Anniversary and Image reprints. So, it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time, making connections and doing a little go getting.
Dude, your colors were the best thing about that little fan-comic.

And the colors on the Urban Legend covers were just gorgeous. Very easy on the eyes, far from obnoxious, full of mood. I'd love to see you do more coloring work on TMNT.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:04 PM   #15
Lil G
Stone Warrior

I've read and appreciate every single comment and insight. Thank you everyone! CyberCubed, thank you for making me laugh.

While I understand that it's going to be a rocky road, I do have an idea of the route I'm going to take and am going to put in the effort to see my vision through. I will be messaging some of you for more insight! Please feel free to discuss further if any thoughts come to you, as I will have this thread to help guide me along my journey. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2023, 07:39 PM   #16
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Dude, your colors were the best thing about that little fan-comic.

And the colors on the Urban Legend covers were just gorgeous. Very easy on the eyes, far from obnoxious, full of mood. I'd love to see you do more coloring work on TMNT.
Thanks. I'm glad you liked them.

I certainly wouldn't say no if IDW wanted me to do more TMNT stuff but I've wrapped up doing some coloring for Chuck Dixon on a web comic called "Something Big". Funny enough, Frank is also the artist for that as well. I've colored the cover and insert for Andrew's Shredder book yet to be released as well as some Kent Menace promo pin-ups.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:50 PM   #17
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Hey, cartoonistaaron is now drawing box art for NECA's TMNT line.

Anything is possible.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 02:32 AM   #18
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

The thing about TMNT is that they are very trans-media. So rather than focusing on wanting to work on the Turtles, instead maybe focus on pursuing a career in one of the media pipelines that the Turtles exist in. When I worked in the Turtles I did so through a career in video games, which eventually landed me at Nickelodeon for 3 years, and I kinda made the opportunity happen.

Yes it will take you years, but that's usually how dream come true. There likely won't be an easy path to this if you really want it.

Also yes, I just posted
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote