The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-07-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Convergent Evolution with Primates?

Does anyone know of any animals that went through convergent evolution with primates? In case you don't don't know what that means, I'm asking if you are aware of any animal that has evolved to look very similar to primates but are not considered primates themselves. So for example, the Cuscus has a lot of features that makes it very similar to a primate but it is ultimately a marsupial, not a true primate. What I am not looking for are creatures like the Aye-aye, which is about as distantly related from other primates as possible but is still a primate.

So far, the best example I can think of is the Cuscus. Sloths and Koalas are vaguely similar to primates but I'm not sure they count.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Huh, interesting question... So, more like how the fossa looks cat-like but is a type of mongoose, or how hyena are not canines?

Only one with a nearest primate look I can come up with is the Kinkajou. Very primate-like, at least like early primates, but supposedly a relative of raccoons.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:46 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Huh, interesting question... So, more like how the fossa looks cat-like but is a type of mongoose, or how hyena are not canines?

Only one with a nearest primate look I can come up with is the Kinkajou. Very primate-like, at least like early primates, but supposedly a relative of raccoons.
Yeah, the Kinkajou comes really close, the only missing primate features are the thumbs.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:58 AM   #5
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ooh, this IS an interesting topic! I can't think of any off hand, but those are two good examples. I will add something that might also tie in, I just saw an article yesterday in my news feed saying that we may have some animals classified wrong, due to recent discoveries in genetic evolution. Seems there are entire branches of evolutionary development that have been mis-classed due to anatomic similarities, when some members are unrelated genetically.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #6
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Ooh, this IS an interesting topic! I can't think of any off hand, but those are two good examples. I will add something that might also tie in, I just saw an article yesterday in my news feed saying that we may have some animals classified wrong, due to recent discoveries in genetic evolution. Seems there are entire branches of evolutionary development that have been mis-classed due to anatomic similarities, when some members are unrelated genetically.
Yeah, and in the reverse way it's like the hyrax is actually the closest relation to an elephant (scientifically arguing right now) yet both are so dissimilar. And to hippos, it's actually whales and dolphins.