The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Who cooks dinners?
I live alone, so I do 2 20.00%
I live with someone, the male (he/him) does 4 40.00%
I live with someone, the female (she/her) does 3 30.00%
I eat out/take out/order something in nearly every night 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #21
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I stopped using my stove because every time I try to make scrambled eggs or fry up some turkey burgers, the darn smoke alarm in my apartment would keep going off, so I only buy stuff that I can heat up in the microwave or toaster oven.
How can you accept a situation like that? Disable the alarm or cover it with a cloth!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #22
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Up until our separation, I always made dinner. When it was my wife's turn, she would just order something for pick-up/delivery
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #23
ABrown
Banned

I don't think I'm reading the poll choices correctly. I live with someone, but I don't live with a male. I live with a female, and she doesn't do the cooking. Like the second choice would be my answer. However, I am not a homosexual male.

Last edited by ABrown; 12-03-2021 at 02:21 PM.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Everyone in the house eats at different times so we all just cook for ourselves. Sometimes I'll still make a big meal for my wife and myself, like last night, but we're generally on different schedules and get hungry at different times so it's just easier for everyone to take care of themselves.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

It seems to be more and more common than the man of the house cooks for the women these days. Assuming people are married or live with a male/female (I don't know how it is with gay couples), it seems the gender norms have changed.

When I grew up as a kid in the 80's and 90's, it was the woman of the house (the mother, usually), who cooked dinner for the whole family. The only time the man would cook is if he lived alone or if the woman was out. Now it seems like the gender norms have changed, or been reversed, now it seems it's more and more common for the male of the household to cook the dinner.

Times have really changed. Male cooks used to only be a thing if they worked in restaurants. I guess Hell's Kitchen with Gordon Ramsay really inspired a generation of men to cook.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

Naaah, my Dad really liked to cook and so he pretty much took it upon himself much of the time. Both my parents cooked but I think my Dad might've done it more often. I remember they'd split some of it if it was like Thanksgiving and we were having people over. They both had different things they were best at but I think my Dad had a bit more range, he was good at making more different types of things. But like, they each had stuff that was "theirs" to make, specifically. My Mom for example had a recipe for meatballs that everyone is still pissed off that nobody got from her before she died, while my Dad could take any cut of steak and prepare it so that it would melt in your mouth. I know he did more cooking on the weekends, since he was home more. But on a Saturday or Sunday, it wasn't uncommon for him to cook breakfast, lunch and dinner just because he felt like it.

He was also a hunter and fisherman, and so we would often have stuff like venison, pheasant, fresh-caught crab and various fish for dinner depending on the season. My mom had no idea how to clean or prepare any of that stuff, so as soon as he got home from a hunting or fishing trip Dad would just go right to work on skinning the deer or de-boning the fish or whatever needed doing, and then we'd have whatever it was for dinner that night or the next.

Those were great times. There were a few times where we had very little money but we still ate like kings since Dad was still bringing home plenty of meat for the table. One Winter we pretty much lived off an entire freezer full of venison for a couple of months when things were really tight. He became a wreck later on but when he still had all his marbles he always did his best to literally put food on the table.

It didn't hurt that Mom was randomly drunk a lot of times. She was a good cook, too though, when she was up for it. But my Dad definitely picked up a good chunk of it over the years. Nobody ever thought it was weird.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #27
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I think those gender norms are more from our grandparents' generation. It all really depends on the household. In ours, it's a team effort. We have a newborn, so whoever has a chance to do a particular task does it (and the other one usually watches or entertains the baby).
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote