The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What score would you give TMNT:OOTS out of 10?
10 (EXCELLENT) 3 6.82%
9 (Amazing) 3 6.82%
8 (Great) 12 27.27%
7 (Good) 7 15.91%
6 (Average) 7 15.91%
5 (Mediocre) 8 18.18%
4 (Bad) 2 4.55%
3 (Really Bad) 0 0%
2 (Terrible) 2 4.55%
1 (ABYSMAL) 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

TMNT: Out of the Shadows Review

This is my official review for TMNT: Out of the Shadows. Leave your own thoughts/opinions on the game down below.

So, it's been a while since we had a good TMNT Game with a slew of failed attempts to adapt the TV Show in a respectable and fun manner. 1987 Series had some great titles such as Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist to name just a few but the 2003 Series never had a memorable game that still stood the test of time. Licensed games in general seem to be lacking except for the Arkham franchise (Which this game borrows heavily from) and the recent TMNT Games have been mediocre, even the updated version of Turtles in Time that now doesn't exist.

To kick off this new era of the Turtles, Nickelodeon has done a fantastic job introducing these characters in new ways to the younger generation while also being enjoyable for older fans. So how does the first game for this generation of Turtles fair out? Honestly, it's a love letter to any Ninja Turtles fan. It has all the right elements to create a new awesome experience for Turtles fans, old and new! I will split this review in 3 parts containing Gameplay, Presentation and Extras:

GAMEPLAY: This is the BEST element of the game by far. Red Fly really nailed the mobility and animations of the Turtles in a way that rewards the player for exploring the environments with these Ninja Skills, thus making it fun to just goof about. Aside from that we have a fantastic, expansive and immersive Combat mechanic that really makes work of the Turtles different fighting styles and tactics so it's never repetitive and allows for some EPIC juggles and moves. They really captured the essence of the Turtles and they also added a Stealth mode which isn't anything special but at times it can really make you feel like a Ninja Turtle, as it should. The first full play through of the game will probably take you around 10-12 hours if you do all the challenges, arcade mode and campaign. Then there's a whole level up system that's really well done and a Survival mode which is extremely fun surprisingly. All that plus Bonus content such as Artwork and the Turtles Lair really helps make this feel like a perfect package, with more content than most licensed-retail games!

PRESENTATION: Unfortunately this is the area where the game mostly lacks in. It just feels unpolished and clunky, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this. So no more people saying "But it's only $15 and made by 16 people" - that's not our problem. The game developers bit more than they could chew and that's their fault unless they patch it somehow. There are frequent glitches such as floating enemies and weapons (nothing game breaking but still...) and sometimes the animations can feel stiff. The comic style cutscenes are lazy especially when they could have just used the normal graphics for the cutscenes as they do in few occasions. I like the new look for the Turtles but I don't feel it was quite necessary, especially to people who haven't seen the new cartoon, this is a bad introduction to the designs for them. That's really my only problem with the game, so onto the positives. This game NAILS the style and feel of the new Nickelodeon Cartoon and puts you right into the action. You honestly feel like you're playing the cartoon and that's the best thing about the presentation. The 'Final Blow' cutscenes are amazing and great ways to finish off the EPIC Boss battles. The A.I starts out really stupid but gets better as the game goes on with the Foot Elites and such.

EXTRAS : This is my personal favourite aspect of the game. The amount of nods and homages to previous incarnations and to the newest is sure to give you a lot of Nerdgasms! The banter between the Turtles is AWESOME and this is one part where the developers really did their homework. They captured the characters perfectly and there is constant new conversations between the Turtles that allows for some great homages (Usagi Yojimbo reference FTW!). Right off the bat, you'll be happy with the menu screen and the Turtles HQ as they have some fun interactions that are always new. I love that they used different parts of the Lair as the menu and the Turtles & Splinter are always doing different things like meditating or just working out like Raphael. Arcade Mode is like a whole different game and is just as fun as the campaign if not more so. There are amazing set pieces in each chapter and the entire thing just oozes with Turtle greatness (Donatello's gravity gauntlet is a great example ) Chapter 4 is my absolute favourite, me and my buddies kept on replaying that level online just because of how awesome it was. That's another thing: The Online is FANTASTIC! It's a lot of fun and sure, there are bugs in the game but there are glitches in literally every other game in existence. It doesn't take away from the entire experience, it enhances it. We had to restart Chapter 2 twice but we didn't even bring it up after we finished the game because it was just so darn fun! The checkpoint system works but if you're too annoyed, you at least have to give it credit for being challenging and having Drop-out/Drop-in multiplayer.

My favourite Online Moment was when The Kraang were marching in a line and me and the other Turtles took them out one by one in the line, undetected. Truly Satisfying!

In Conclusion, TMNT: Out of the Shadows is a near-perfect first attempt at adapting the New Ninja Turtles in game form. The fact that it's only 1.7 GB and 16 people individually put out this much effort into a $15 game is truly commendable. This is my favourite TMNT Game so far and I look forward to the future of TMNT Games, it's lookin' pretty bright!

(8.5/10) for 'TMNT: Out of the Shadows'. BOOYAKASHA!

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)

Last edited by MrTMNT2012; 09-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Gave it a 7. If the camera was a bit better, and the controls less clunky/more responsive, I suppose it'd be an 8 or 8.5. I don't like the art they used for the cutscenes, as it's pretty poor and is jarring considering how detailed and badass the rest of the game looks. It doesn't detract from gameplay though, so screw it. It really is a great deal of fun, the graphics are fantastic, there's a ton of nods to TMNT lore old and new, the humor is hilarious, character designs are ill as hell, soundtrack is monstrous, etc. I could go on & on, it's definitely a treat for turtle fans.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

I went 8. I'd go 7 due to the minor issues, but frankly everyone who will play it is gonna be a hardcore TMNT fan and more than happy to overlook them. There's far more depth to the combat system, the training dojo, and the upgrade system than any TMNT game ever made. Tack on the Survival/Challenge mode and the Arcade mode, and you have lots of stuff to mess with. It's essentially two games in one, the Story campaign and the Arcade mode. No, it ain't perfect, but gamers have had slim pickings when it comes to TMNT the last few years and this will more than whet their appetites. It's probably the best TMNT game ever made so far, nostalgia notwithstanding.

It's realistically a 7 with the minor combat lag and lack of a lock-on targeting system, as well as kind of short. But the TMNT games have all been short, and this one has a lot more meat than the rest. Add it all up and throw in a can't-beat-it $15 price point, and there's your 8. I recommend it highly to any Turtle fan.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

I can't really judge it too much since I've only played the demo...but I gave it a 5. It really just felt like one of the TMNT arcade games in 3D to me...
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

I gave it an 8 based on my time with the Demo, enjoying it as I have so far on it's bare-boned version without being able to upgrade or use all the moves and weapons, etc.

I didn't factor in any problems like camera or anything becaue it really isn't "game breaking".
Besides, this is not the first title to release and be flawless with no problems.

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I got to play it for the first time today on my friend`s Xbox. My first complaint is the fact that instead of the whole screen being used they break it down into individual windows for each player making a camera that already sucks all the more annoying. I like the game but good lord, play by yourself. It has a lot of issues but for 15 bucks, what can you really expect.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Mediocre combat, clunky counter system, graphics and surroundings that range from pitch black to retina burning neon blue.

Passable in Single Player. Broken and Abysmal in multiplayer.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

My quick review and first impression.... and yeah... most of you are gonna disagree but I guess I'm too old for these kinds of games anymore.

First all, I honestly see no reason whatsoever for the split screen. Maybe cause I don't play FPS or whatever but the camera is so zoomed in I can't tell where the hell I am and I spent more time trying to figure out where I am and where I'm going than actually kicking ass.

I guess I was expecting something like TMNT Re-Shelled mixed with Double Dragon Neon with the graphics, music and sound cranked to over 9000.

I do like the story and the characters, the voices kinda take time to get used to though and so far it looks like if you lose some of the Turtles you're lost and can't advance any further.

It is my first try, but I do understand it has a bit of a learning curve. The Turtle fan in me will make me keep on playing.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Allio
Foot Elite

*You guys complaining about split screen offline co-op and online multiplayer issues

I don't havefriends coming over, and I was most likely going to play this off line since mostly anyone I know wasn't going to play it

I don't know if I should be happy or sad
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

is the game split screen 4 way when it's online? Cause 2 screens is already bad enough...

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
is the game split screen 4 way when it's online? Cause 2 screens is already bad enough...
I don't think that would make any sense....seeing as there would be 4 different tv screens instead of sharing 1

but I don't know I don't have the game yet XD
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Peanut
Second Gear

Man, is everyone in here on the IGN review scale or what?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Man, is everyone in here on the IGN review scale or what?
I tend not to read other people's reviews. Those were just my honest thoughts.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
Peanut
Second Gear

You were probably one of the few I wasn't referring to, bud.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You were probably one of the few I wasn't referring to, bud.
oh, thanks dude.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
pingclang
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, it splits four ways...four ways.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
Shadowsculptor
Random Punk

An easy solid 8. Its pretty fantastic. MrTMNT your review is spot on. in my opinion people who hate on it usually don't give it enough time. I was kind of sour on it at first but I absolutely love it now. Its deep and engaging. Ive played about 8-10 hours so far, majority of which is arcade and challenge maps. I havnt even completed the story mode, I'm taking my time with that aspect.

Ive played and leveled up my turtles to about level 29 so far. Im ranked number 1 in the sewer challenge map and top 2-5 on the the other challenge maps leaderboards worldwide. Ive learned the fighting. This games fighting mechanics are extremely good. It takes TIME to learn the fighting, once you do, your unstoppable.

There are fundamental issues such as glitches, some collision detection, and the camera is the biggest issue. The cutscenes are COMPLETE junk, but the other aspects of presentation are there. If those things were fixed it would be the perfect TMNT game, and one worth 60 retail. It is a good game, perhaps beneath some camera/controls and budgeting issues that will turn the casual gamer off.

For turtles fans is a dream come true. Just play it to some John Perez, MC Hammer or 9.95 (classic TMNT movie music) via the 360 dash, its friggin awesome. Makes the combat more epic.

Fantastic.
Shadowsculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #18
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

A strong 8, the more I play it the more I like it, It is very fun local co-op. I actually think some of the environment combos are awesome.

I you like TMNT, Batman Arkam series, and old school arcade games, I say go for it.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
A strong 8, the more I play it the more I like it, It is very fun local co-op. I actually think some of the environment combos are awesome.

I you like TMNT, Batman Arkam series, and old school arcade games, I say go for it.
I guess? There's really nothing too old school about it. Double dragon neon did it right. But I'll still give it a few more tries. I just wish they didn't have the stupid split screen and I didn't have to waste time adjusting the camera. I don't know. Maybe the game is just too modern for me.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
I guess? There's really nothing too old school about it. Double dragon neon did it right. But I'll still give it a few more tries. I just wish they didn't have the stupid split screen and I didn't have to waste time adjusting the camera. I don't know. Maybe the game is just too modern for me.
I am an avid old school gamer, and I like it. Have to agree with how they split the screen, could have been better.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)

Last edited by TheBlueTurtle1; 08-30-2013 at 10:00 AM.
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, nick, tmnt, video games