The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Favorite TMNT Single Issue or Story Arc?

When it comes to most any given comic series or character, while people may like a lot of stories, everyone has that one issue or story arc that stands above the rest in their heart.

I figured that would be the same for TMNT, so I thought I would ask, what is your favorite issue/issues of any of the TMNT comics, be they Mirage, Archie, IDW, IDW Adventures, Dreamwave, Daily Comic Strips, etc?

Also, do you have a preferred comic series among them? Main series or Tales of/Universe/spin-off?

For me, while IDW has really been growing on me as of late with my little marathon through the IDW Collection, Mirage holds a special place in my heart (probably because the 1990 movie was my first love of the Franchise, and a lot of why I loved it was adapted from the Mirage books).

I was personally quite partial to the Leonardo, 10, and 11 portion of the story, with the alternation between Leo's fight with the Foot and the rest of the gang enjoying setting up for Christmas, the big surprise of Shredder's return, their battle in April's apartment, and leading to their recovery and soul searching at Casey's family farm. It really works well as a story.

I'm also quite partial to the first issue as a solid complete standalone story, Raphael for a great character introduction in Casey while also developing Raph's character, City at War for being an absolutely amazing end to Volume 1, and Soul's Winter for being a fascinating piece both story-wise and visually speaking.

What about you? Among all of TMNT's comic greatness, what stands at the pinnacle for you?
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Pound for pound, Return to New York (#19-21). It's perfect.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Volume 1, issue 12.
http://www.miragelicensing.com/comic...e01/12/12.html

If I had to pick a single solo issue, that'd be it.

I also really love Dooney's Challenges book a whole lot.

Also "True Stories."
If for no other reason than it's the best possible representation of pretty much everyone in the main cast, April included.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Mirage: Tales Of The TMNT Vol. 2 issues 13/14, "Loops". Kid, teen, adult, & senior Leonardo are all plucked from their points in time to carry out a mission at the behest of a God-like being. Leonardo's my favorite turtle, so it's really cool seeing 4 versions at once, gaining perspective from one another & kicking ass.

Archie: #22, purely out of nostalgia. It was one of the first TMNT comics I ever had. But Gene Colan's art is a factor too! Solid work on his part, for sure.

IDW: I'd say the 30th anniversary special, but that's cheating. Hard to say. Probably the Northhampton arc right after City Fall. The art, the themes, it's exactly what I want from TMNT.

Overall, Mirage takes the win (+ Image, which is my favorite run & is a part of that universe as far as I'm concerned).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

City at war
I could read it over and over. Never gets old to me and puts me in the mood to go through comic runs
Old 11-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Archie: #22, purely out of nostalgia. It was one of the first TMNT comics I ever had. But Gene Colan's art is a factor too! Solid work on his part, for sure.
Man, it was mighty good! Amazing to think Colan drew an issue of TMNT for the "kid's comic." Wish he could have done more!

My favorite standalone Mirage issue is probably #45 of Volume 1, because of Dan Berger's art and Ryan Brown's inking that adds some levity to an otherwise intense story. It's a nice set-up for City at War and it develops Leatherhead's character nicely.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
trying to narrow it down to just one would be an exercise in futility.

so hear are my faves

Mirage Vol. 1 - Issue #1
Mirage Vol. 1 - Leonardo Micro-series + Issue #10 + Issue #11
Mirage Vol. 1 - Issue #19 + Issue #20 + Issue #21

Image Comics - Issue #1 - #4

Mirage Tales of the TMNT v.2 Issue #5 + Leonardo: Blindsight 1 - 4

IDW Issue #5
IDW Splinter Micro-series
IDW Secret History of the Foot Clan #1 - #4

Mirage - TMNT: Challenges
Old 11-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #8
funatic
Mad Scientist

Aww, I knew Andrew would beat me to it. Return to NY always comes to mind as top of the tops. Didn't expect oldmanwinters to highlight my other fave "Leatherhead Too" though! It's Berger's masterpiece. Since those were already mentioned I'll also give a shoutout to Tales #55: "A Day In the Life", an introspective issue that focuses on the turtles & Splinter as a family in the days leading up to their first showdown with Shredder in issue #1, a kind of similar vibe to another fave (already mentioned twice!): #11. Those interpersonal, reflective stories are always a treat, and sorely needed in comicdom in general.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

A favorite story arc of mine that seems to get overlooked is Mirage #48 and #49, the Shades of Gray two-parter. It might not be as great as City at War, but it’s still a great story.
It works really well as a prelude to CaW, and it set the stage for Casey and April’s story arcs during that story.

As for single issue, #8 will always have a special place in my heart.
It was a good crossover and it introduced two of my favorite characters.

My favorite IDW arc is Northampton. Followed by the Turtles in Time mini.

Last edited by DestronMirage22; 11-12-2017 at 11:48 PM.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Y'all know it's Utrom Empire!
Spoiler:
Which gets a little bit sadder with every drastic change in the Utrom hierarchy (the scene of Krang collapsing in the stasis chamber being particularly sad now), but also shows how different Krang was before everything happened. While he seems to have had more of a death wish - which came at the most ironic of situations in his life, he had space for a little logic and a lot more willingness to change himself if need be. He very had a different persona until he was left on his own and I like to think that isolation got into his head.

One thing I like quite a bit is how Krang himself is rarely shown in present-day scenes, being concealed by his suit and even hidden at some points. I'm not sure if it was a deliberate choice or not, but I like to think that it is.

I'm not too keen on some of the designs of the Utroms. With the exception of Quanin, something seems really off about their proportions and it always looks like Krang is going to tip over sideways because of how top-heavy he is against his legs. And where do all their organs fit?

Most of all...gotta love Krang telling his father that they won the D'hoonib war while smashed on whatever booze he was drinking .

And the Obligado minis.
Spoiler:
I like what they reveal about the Mirage Utroms...until the ball was dropped...and I look forward to how Andrew puts it back in court.

I like the introduction of the Preservi - who do not deserve the reputation they have. Maybe Myst IV spoiled me a little bit, but I don't see much of a problem with memory preservation, especially when it means comforting the dying by giving them access to things they can't remember or have forgotten.
The Obscura were a great inclusion too, and really could have been awesome to learn more about.

Obligado is just great on his own. He's more of a non-bitter William Hartnell Doctor than an "Indiana Jones" to me. And the fact that he'd drop everything and go on an adventure just because some kid asked a really enlightening question is a pretty big indicator of his overall personality. I think he would have been birds of a feather with Donatello had they been able to meet.

I'm bothered a little bit by the suggestion that Utroms have at least a little bit of hair - as shown by the sand flea infestation. But, up against the implication in Obligado's memory that they probably nurse as babies, that's probably the least confusing thing. Where do they have the space by that design?

I'm not exclusive to Utrom stories, surprisingly.
I do like the Hob-Leatherhead story in TMNT Universe as a single story.

Spoiler:
Especially as a companion to #65 in its drastic tonal shift while it's happening at the same time, and the examination on how while the two are very, very much the same, their philosophies in life are so drastic that they can't be truly comrades, even if Hob wanted it. Especially in that period of vulnerability that he had.

Let's be honest though, that probably wasn't the best environment for Hob to try to make nice with Leatherhead. It would be more ideal to catch him at a slightly more subdued time and swap life stories. THEN try to reel in that very, very, very big fish.

Still can't bring myself to repeat-read Hob's mini though.
I almost cried the last time.

Donatello's micro of meeting Harold is another favorite.
Spoiler:
Sure, they were internet "enemies", but the sheer feelings of connecting with people you know online (though it was an accident in this case) is something I know pretty well, and it's a pretty amazing experience. So I associate with Donatello quite a bit in that situation.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
Red Robin
Foot Soldier

One of my absolute favorite books is Tales of the TMNT Vol.2 #5.
I love the Mirage books for not creating always the happiest moods.
Jim did an awesome job on several stories, but this one is one of my alltime favorites.
Red Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

City at War. It's not just action like Return to New York mostly is, it's mood and trying to understand your place in an uncaring universe... as well as action.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #13
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I have a certain nostalgia for the first 11 issues of Volume 1 and the original microseries, as I found a dog-eared, beaten-up Collected Book One in a used bookstore when I was first getting into Mirage. At the time, the new IDW reprints were not on my radar, so I had no idea if I'd ever get to read the rest.

Others:

City at War
Northampton (IDW)
Batman and Ghostbusters crossovers (IDW)
Shades of Gray
Turtles Take Time
Sons of the Silent Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #14
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Mirage TMNT issues #4 and #9.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #15
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Mirage Leo + #10 + #11 all the way. In fact issue #10 is possibly my favourite issue of all time, it has everything you wanted from a TMNT story.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robin View Post
One of my absolute favorite books is Tales of the TMNT Vol.2 #5.
I love the Mirage books for not creating always the happiest moods.
Jim did an awesome job on several stories, but this one is one of my alltime favorites.
i've often wondered if this issue had been inked the ways it's seen in print,
or if it was actually inked one way and then later had the B&W tones swapped?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:39 AM   #17
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i've often wondered if this issue had been inked the ways it's seen in print,
or if it was actually inked one way and then later had the B&W tones swapped?
Funny you should ask. I actually just saw Jim Lawson a few weeks ago at a small Con in Mass and he had original art from this issue on display:

I believe he said Laird did the line inks and did the black fills digitally.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #18
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Funny you should ask. I actually just saw Jim Lawson a few weeks ago at a small Con in Mass and he had original art from this issue on display:

I believe he said Laird did the line inks and did the black fills digitally.
WOW! AMAZING!!! thank you for sharing this!

so many times when revisiting this story i'd often wonder just how they'd pulled this off!

at long last i finally know! thanks again man!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Mirage
Single Issue: Leonardo Micro
Arc: Shredder Returns

IDW
Single issue: TMNT 33# First appearance of Rat King
Arc: Secret History of the Foot Clan

I have not read Image or Archie so I cannot comment on those two.

Edit IDW #36 not #33 for Rat king

Last edited by Redeemer; 11-14-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #20
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
IDW
Single issue: TMNT 33# First appearance of Rat King
was the Rat King in #33? i always though his first appearance was in issue #36.

good choice on the Mirage. it's always hard for me to pick favorites in that series.

Tags
archie, comic, dreamwave, idw, mirage