The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
rocklobster13
Random Punk

TMNT Comic Strip - Any new leads?

I am trying to round up scans of all of the old newspaper comic strips that ran in the 90s. With the help of some old forum posts and various searches, I have managed to find most of the strips from 12/90 to about 6/92, and a few of the strips from the other years.

Most of the links from old threads pertaining to this topic are broken...for example, I haven't been able to access any of the posts from the GoComics archive, etc.

Does anyone have any other idea of where I might be able to get the full collection of comic strips?
rocklobster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

This may sound impractical, but if you put in significant effort, you can scrounge for many of the comic strips from the old ninjaturtles.com website through archive.org. Keep in mind that there are many dead links to some of the images of the comic strips though.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I would ask the creator behind most if it what he knows, Dan Berger. He is easy to contact straight off of miragelicensing.com.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
rich
Mad Scientist

Years ago I saved nearly all of the original comic strips in two scrapbooks. I've scanned those scrapbooks and have them available here.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Years ago I saved nearly all of the original comic strips in two scrapbooks. I've scanned those scrapbooks and have them available here.
Thanks!!

First of all, I love your website...been on it many times. That's actually what I used to get most of the strips 90-92.

From my understanding, the strip lasted all the way until the end of 96...I think the scrapbooks that you posted go up until around June of 92. Do you have the others as well? If so, are you planning on posting them?

I know that it's a lot of work to get them posted there, but it would be fantastic if you happen to have them...
Old 07-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Thanks for the responses guys!

I am aware of the old archives and I have been digging through them...I was just wondering if there were any places I'm not aware of.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster13 View Post
Thanks!!

First of all, I love your website...been on it many times. That's actually what I used to get most of the strips 90-92.

From my understanding, the strip lasted all the way until the end of 96...I think the scrapbooks that you posted go up until around June of 92. Do you have the others as well? If so, are you planning on posting them?

I know that it's a lot of work to get them posted there, but it would be fantastic if you happen to have them...
That's great! Glad my site is so useful. I've posted everything I have so if there are more strips then I don't have them. Best of luck in tracking down the rest of them.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

For the last year or two (1995-1996) of the TMNT newspaper strip's run, it circulated in only about 20 newspapers, according to Dan Berger & gobo. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know exactly which 20 papers ran the strip. It's probable that most of those papers were in close proximity to Northampton, MA.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...8&postcount=22
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...t=43115&page=2

If you can find you which papers carried TMNT strip until its end, then you have a possible means of seeing the complete run. Many major newspapers have been photographed onto microfilm for archiving, so if you have access to a library that can gain access to the film, that might be the only way to account for those strips.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Are we allowed to just straight up post links to this sort of thing? I'm pretty sure I have some collection CBRs either from here or DC++ that may or may not be worth comparing, but I don't want to dig them out just to get slapped with a ban or something.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Here's my thought on the best way to find copies of those 1995-1996 newspaper strips.

Berger thought that newspapers geographically close to Northampton, MA would be the most likely ones to have carried the strip until its end.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette is a long-running current paper for the Northampton region. Find a microfilm reel of that paper during those years, and you'd be able to view or even copy the comic strips if they appeared.

The Forbes Library in Northampton does appear to have a full run of the paper on microfilm. Anybody wanna do some advanced research?
http://forbeslibrary.org/research/lo...m-collections/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Are we allowed to just straight up post links to this sort of thing? I'm pretty sure I have some collection CBRs either from here or DC++ that may or may not be worth comparing, but I don't want to dig them out just to get slapped with a ban or something.
You know what, as this has been an important missing peice of the franchises history, I'll allow it to be posted and defend it being posted.

At this point on the game, it seems like the only way to ever get a full, complete set is through a collaborative effort.

You have my permission, Cryo.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The Daily Hampshire Gazette is a long-running current paper for the Northampton region. Find a microfilm reel of that paper during those years, and you'd be able to view or even copy the comic strips if they appeared.

The Forbes Library in Northampton does appear to have a full run of the paper on microfilm. Anybody wanna do some advanced research?
http://forbeslibrary.org/research/lo...m-collections/
Seeing as how I live about a block away from the Gazette and 2 blocks away from Forbes, I might be a good candidate for this. Unfortunately, I'm about to leave the area and likely won't be back til late October. I'd be happy to tackle it at that point if people could give me specifics on what strips are missing. Or if someone else closeby wants to check it out sooner be my guest.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
sdp
-

Yeah, this is something that if fans don't collect may be lost forever.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Seeing as how I live about a block away from the Gazette and 2 blocks away from Forbes, I might be a good candidate for this. Unfortunately, I'm about to leave the area and likely won't be back til late October. I'd be happy to tackle it at that point if people could give me specifics on what strips are missing. Or if someone else closeby wants to check it out sooner be my guest.
That would be awesome if you could check it out. Thanks to rich, we have a mostly complete collection of the strips from the beginning (12/10/90) until mid 92. Poking around on the internet archive of ninjaturtles.com, I was able to find scans of a bunch of them from 96 and a few from 95, although there's still many missing.

It seems to me like the hardest ones to find online are the ones from the middle years: mid-92 until 94 ish. I think it was still running daily through these years...though I'm not sure. Also, the color strips from Sundays are tough to find.

I might be able to put together a list of the exact dates that I have been able to find...though it would probably take me a long time to compile
Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 AM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I collected a bunch of the Sunday ones back in the day(and a few of the dailies, too, IIRC), and may still have some of them. I can check, and see if they are some of the ones that are "missing", maybe. Will have to dig out my old scrapbook, though, but it's certainly a worthy endeavor! I just hope they're still in good condition!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #16
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Well, since I got permission then....

This is what I see floating around. These files are as I found them, I am gonna assume these are ripped from web posted versions but I have no real knowledge about where they came from. Hopefully this is everything? I have no idea.
The 19 strips file was also there so I included it. Go nuts:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!tFVGFbqa!n3NU62M6vmi54RjXsR3aqQ

Also, this is a previous thread where similar questions and file sharing occurred: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=43115

Old 07-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #17
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

I posted these in another tread. Don't feel like looking. These are the reprints in Comics Revue. It's just the beginning, and I'm missing some issues, but at least the first ones are in higher quality.

DL the Comics Revue ones. I'll eventually collect the rest of the issues. And I don't know where they stopped in the storyline.
Enscripture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:54 AM   #18
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

That's a fun folder you've got there!

Old 07-31-2015, 06:44 AM   #19
Rat_King
Hench Mutant

This is the sort of thing that once all of the strips are collected/found, someone should hand them over to IDW to be reprinted. I'm willing to bet they would be up for figuring out the legalities of it and I would definitely buy a copy of that!
Rat_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 AM   #20
bushido
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscripture View Post
DL the Comics Revue ones. I'll eventually collect the rest of the issues. And I don't know where they stopped in the storyline.
Black and White North by Downeast ? Where did you find that ?

Tags
newspaper strips