The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why did all of Peter Laird's "projects" never happen?

Remember how angry people were when #1 was re-printed back in 2005 where the tones were removed and some dialogue was altered? And how apparently the rest of Volume 1 was going to be re-printed the same way?

And how its likely now never going to happen?

So its also a given the rest of these Peter Laird projects will never happen:

- The rest of Volume 1 won't be remastered and re-toned.

- The Mirage official timeline probably won't ever happen.

- The Mirage canon comics list likely won't happen, so what issues Peter Laird considers canon and what he doesn't will likely never be revealed.

- The re-done issue 8 where the character was removed probably won't be released in the U.S.

So these are 4 projects that Pete wanted to do for years but never happened. Will they ever happen now? I doubt it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

Same reason he sold the property....

And who gives a sh*t what Peter says is canon, make up your own list.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Peter's list of canonical TMNT comics, as I understand it, stands a pretty good chance of pissing off a lot of fans anyway.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Kendamu
Sewerhead

In light of Peter Laird not wanting anything to do with Turtles right now, his idea of what's canon isn't really a top priority at the moment. I mean, why care about his opinion when he's trying to distance himself from the Turtles?

Last edited by Kendamu; 10-29-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
In light of Peter Laird not wanting anything to do with Turtles right now, his idea of what's canon isn't really a top priority at the moment. I mean, why care about his opinion when he's trying to distance himself from the Turtles?
It still would have been interesting to see what he considered Mirage canon.

But I agree, its probably better nothing ever came from it. I liked a lot of Vol. 1 guest issues that I consider canon anyway.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
- The re-done issue 8 where the character was removed probably won't be released in the U.S.
It's better that way.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I'm glad he didn't rewrite that issue. I like how Renet met the Turtles and then they met up with Cerebus.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I think, basically, the reason none of these projects got finished is that Laird is just ready to retire and enjoy the piles and piles and piles of cash he's got.

I guess I can't really blame him. I mean, if I won a $6 million jackpot in the Virginia lottery, what's the first thing I'd do? Quit my job.

Dude wants 100% free time to enjoy his extensive wealth. Maybe buy a fleet of Segways. He's only human.

As for his continuity list? Eh, I don't really care. Wasn't Tristan gonna do that for him, anyway? As part of the Universe Sourcebook that's now been canned?

And if his retirement means he won't be George Lucasing up the TMNT Vol. 1 comics, then well, there's a bright side to everything.

So far, the only thing about this Viacom deal that's really rubbed me the wrong way has been the loss of Forever War and the Universe Sourcebook, but I suppose I'll get over those. I've disliked TMNT Vol. 4 so much, the fact that it may never be completed doesn't really envoke any emotion in me. I'm completely apathetic about it.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
So far, the only thing about this Viacom deal that's really rubbed me the wrong way has been the loss of Forever War and the Universe Sourcebook, but I suppose I'll get over those. I've disliked TMNT Vol. 4 so much, the fact that it may never be completed doesn't really envoke any emotion in me. I'm completely apathetic about it.
Ya know, it's usually better when you don't know all the details. Reality tends to ruin the imagination. (I.E., Wolverine's origin story).

That said, I DO want to see Volume 4 get wrapped up eventually.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I read through 30 issues of Volume 4, I did not spend all that time reading those comics just to see the story never end. And just when things were starting to get interesting too, like the Oroku Yoshi Shredder from the Battle Nexus, Mike and the Triceratons waging war against the other aliens, Don and Raph finally capturing those Vampires and that Demon alien, and of course seeing what went on between Karai and Casey.

Plus, its quite possibly the end of the Mirage universe. We at least deserve an ending to the Mirage Turtles, the series that started it all.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

We the fans should just finish Vol. 4 OURSELVES as a fan project (those of us who care). I'll write and draw it if someone else wants to do the lettering/inking...

We could have one serious "this is how it realistically could have ended" book and one "crazy T-Drome members parody" book that's outlandish and contains a lot of sarcastic little inside jokes. Anyone interested?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

I actually would have liked to see his newly revised, revamped, remade Vol 1. comics, to be honest. Afterall, it's not like his making those would automatically erase all the previous comics from existence, right?
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_CJJ View Post
We could have one serious "this is how it realistically could have ended" book and one "crazy T-Drome members parody" book that's outlandish and contains a lot of sarcastic little inside jokes. Anyone interested?
It is revealed that not only is April a drawing, but so is everybody else! They were all created when two struggling artists stumbled upon the Magic Crystal and decided to draw creatures of their wildest imaginations. After 25 years of silently observing their creation from Kirby's Dimension, they become overwhelmed by all the crazy things that started to happen because of those Turtles and their vigilante friend Casey Jones, so they just decided to erase the whole thing, telling themselves that "life at best, is bittersweet."

Except for Cerebus and Usagi Yojimbo, who as it turned out really did exist.
Oh yeah, and maybe the Savage Dragon and Flaming Carrot too cause no imagination could ever think up something that crazy.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It is revealed that not only is April a drawing, but so is everybody else! They were all created when two struggling artists stumbled upon the Magic Crystal and decided to draw creatures of their wildest imaginations. After 25 years of silently observing their creation from Kirby's Dimension, they become overwhelmed by all the crazy things that started to happen because of those Turtles and their vigilante friend Casey Jones, so they just decided to erase the whole thing, telling themselves that "life at best, is bittersweet."
Teenage Meta Ninja Turtles?

Hey, if it's good enough for Vonnegut, it's good enough for Mirage.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince of Crime View Post
I actually would have liked to see his newly revised, revamped, remade Vol 1. comics, to be honest. Afterall, it's not like his making those would automatically erase all the previous comics from existence, right?
It would have probably made the originals harder to get since they wouldn't be released instead of the new ones, but I guess discussing this now is pointless since neither trades nor re-toned Vol. 1 is happening.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince of Crime View Post
Right, but color me disinterested if said "revised, revamped, remade Vol. 1 comics" are not only not improvements over the originals, but dramatically adversely effect the artwork.

I mean, I'm more than OK with Laird going through and redoing dialogue blurbs and such, making things and continuity line up better (and fixing "Michelangelo")... but ripping out all the duotones and just leaving it like that (not, I dunno, coloring it)?

Maybe some folks would like that look (I call it "color open") but I'm not among them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Maybe some folks would like that look (I call it "color open") but I'm not among them.
I've always agreed with this, and it's been one of my complaints about the book since it relaunched. If you're going to use black and white, use black and white. Don't just slap uncolored line art into the book and call it a day, or, just as bad, feature generic block shading that looks like a photocopied version of color work.

It doesn't have to be extremely detailed shading or duotones, but at least play with contrasts or do something to justify the lack of color. If black and white art is successful, you should feel like adding color would be ruin the image.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
odupianist
Mad Scientist

What about the TPB's of the first 12 issues in 4 books that were color? I just go to those if I want color.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
What about the TPB's of the first 12 issues in 4 books that were color? I just go to those if I want color.
They're pretty hard to get. I got those full color TPB's back on ebay around 7 years ago

Tags
peter laird