The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #41
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharman View Post
The addition of color has certainly improved the Image series and, as far as I can tell, the coloring has been handled well on "Urban Legends".
Still have mixed feelings over the IDW coloring of the Mirage stuff, though.
YOU ALL DO NEED TO REALIZE... the Mirage Colored Classics are done by Scorpion Studios and the wonderful Tom Smith.

Now Smith and his team used the original collected editions by First Comics as their guide when redoing the colors. IDW could have easily digitized the First editions and just reprinted them but they wanted something sharper. So Scorpion Studios stepped in.

Now, I will admit that the new IDW colors are darker in places than the First reprints BUT in other places they almost seem like a near copy of First. So, just so you know, all of these disparaging remarks about the color... they were done by professionals, with years in the business. It's not like they cheaped out.

That said, I prefer the B&W.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #42
AquaParade
Banned

They look nothing like the first comics release, unfortunately.

Dr. S did a nice comparison: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2012/...t-vol.html?m=1
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #43
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
They look nothing like the first comics release, unfortunately.

Dr. S did a nice comparison: http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2012/...t-vol.html?m=1
The .PDF reprints of the issues of both reprinted editions I have must be washed out or something... Particularly issues 10 and 11 of CC and First look identical in places and in other spots look nothing alike. Well, $hit!

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 07-19-2020 at 06:18 PM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #44
ZedsDead
Random Punk

I asked Laird on his blog about the Image run and this is why he had to say.

PLApril 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM
I don't think I have ever read ALL of the Image TMNT comics. My basic feeling about that run was that they were competently executed comics, but because they took the Turtles in directions I would not have, I never felt like it was the "real" TMNT. I'm not sure if that completely and accurately represents my take on the Image TMNT comics, but that's what I can say about it right now. -- PL
ZedsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:42 AM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

So, the reason for "Vol. 4" (kinda weird to keep that designation since Image was thrown out as "canon") disregarding it was more or less what I assumed, then. "Not what I would've done, didn't feel like ever referencing or explaining it, easier to ignore it." What do I win?

I guess calling the new Mirage stuff "The REAL Vol. 3" with "F*ck Image" in parenthesis would have been pretty clunky. You gotta admit, though, that right there would have put the whole debate to rest a long time ago. The entire confusion comes from Vol. 4 being called "Vol. 4" when it's not, it's merely "The Real Vol. 3" whether anyone chooses to accept it or not.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #46
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
I asked Laird on his blog about the Image run and this is why he had to say.

PLApril 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM
I don't think I have ever read ALL of the Image TMNT comics. My basic feeling about that run was that they were competently executed comics, but because they took the Turtles in directions I would not have, I never felt like it was the "real" TMNT. I'm not sure if that completely and accurately represents my take on the Image TMNT comics, but that's what I can say about it right now. -- PL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So, the reason for "Vol. 4" (kinda weird to keep that designation since Image was thrown out as "canon") disregarding it was more or less what I assumed, then. "Not what I would've done, didn't feel like ever referencing or explaining it, easier to ignore it." What do I win?

I guess calling the new Mirage stuff "The REAL Vol. 3" with "F*ck Image" in parenthesis would have been pretty clunky. You gotta admit, though, that right there would have put the whole debate to rest a long time ago. The entire confusion comes from Vol. 4 being called "Vol. 4" when it's not, it's merely "The Real Vol. 3" whether anyone chooses to accept it or not.
I mean, it's been established several times over the years that there are several universes with TMNT teams in it. So why couldn't it just be that the Image run is just another alternate universe version? It would still be canon while also not impeding on what Laird viewed as "real TMNT".

Granted, this is Laird's creation and he has every right to disregard anything as canon, but it just seems like that could be avoided by acknowledging Vol 3 as a different take on the turtles that happens simultaneously to the Mirage books, just in an alternate universe. Just a thought.
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #47
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb1018 View Post
I mean, it's been established several times over the years that there are several universes with TMNT teams in it. So why couldn't it just be that the Image run is just another alternate universe version? It would still be canon while also not impeding on what Laird viewed as "real TMNT".

Granted, this is Laird's creation and he has every right to disregard anything as canon, but it just seems like that could be avoided by acknowledging Vol 3 as a different take on the turtles that happens simultaneously to the Mirage books, just in an alternate universe. Just a thought.
Not alternate to Mirage, a branching point or a divergent timeline. All of Volume 1 (the good stuff, anyway), Tales, and Volume 2 are canon to Image.

If you wanted to go with that idea, there has to be some sort of point where the timeline could go either way. Could make an interesting story.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #48
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Not alternate to Mirage, a branching point or a divergent timeline. All of Volume 1 (the good stuff, anyway), Tales, and Volume 2 are canon to Image.

If you wanted to go with that idea, there has to be some sort of point where the timeline could go either way. Could make an interesting story.
That's fair. Either way, it could easily lead to both being canon in the grand scheme of the turtleverse. That would be cool just because it could leave open the potential for expansion on the stories and having the timelines converge or at least effect each other in some way (assuming Laird would be up for it in some capacity). Its a huge stretch but it would be cool maybe as a short story arc to tie up both volumes with a bow.

I've only read about half of volune 4 since the books are so hard to find though so I really have no idea how that story plays out in the end. So my above idea might be way off.

But I will say I do like how bizarre the Image run is on regards to the rest of turtle stories.
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags