The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-07-2022, 01:14 PM   #4161
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
To a certain extent, I definitely agree, but for me personally, there is a value proposition here, where I can't justify spending $55 on these figures with so many QC issues (though, as I mentioned, I will spend that if they never end up getting discounted - which I fully admit makes me an idiot and I refer back to my Stockholm syndrome comment).
Reviewers review thousands of toys so they will be critical of things that the average person wont. However, when I watch the reviews for wave 5 and 6 by Pixel Dan, Toy Bro or Toy Shiz, I get the impression that they are overwhelmingly pleased with the figures with the exception of hip/joint issues. And, some of these hip/joint issues were more apparent in the early reviewer copies. Reviewers mention loose joints on Slash. My Slash passes the wobble test. Also, most of these reviewers seem to be pleased with the aesthetics, but they might say something along the lines of "I wish Samurai Leo's armor was shinier". So they probably deduct a .5 or less (in their head) from the total score or something but folks like us interpret it as the end of the world. We're too extra!

I would recommend checking out in-hand reviews by customers from the TMNT Party Wagon FB group or Fwoosh. Not all issues from the reviewer copies make their way to customers. The Technodrome is a decades old forum, so it may have more older, hardened and cynical critics (as opposed to the general population). It's hardly representative of the real world.

Last edited by Dask; 11-07-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #4162
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:

And to be completely fair, my biggest gripe with Ray (that they just weren't able to capture the "spirit" of the original figure) is probably only applicable to me and maybe a select few. I just don't personally care for how neither head gives off that cocky Ray Fillet attitude. To me, he just looks manic, regardless of the portrait you choose.
Ray is still one cocky $%. He's still alpha.
Ray's always been maniacal. He's a giant ray/mutant, with an expansive chest and an ear-to-ear grin.
He kind of scares me. I wouldn't mess with him.
The vintage Ray looks psychotic in a good way. The ReAction Ray looks psychotic in a bad way.
Old 11-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #4163
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Ray is still one cocky $%. He's still alpha.
Ray's always been maniacal. He's a giant ray/mutant, with an expansive chest and an ear-to-ear grin.
He kind of scares me. I wouldn't mess with him.
The vintage Ray looks psychotic in a good way. The ReAction Ray looks psychotic in a bad way.
And he's an eccentric and demonstrative environmental activist. MASSIVE ego, no doubt.

I always assumed he was an academic to boot, but just being an aquarium employee wouldn't necessarily guarantee advanced formal education. "Jack Finney" was sort of a vigilante/private eye wannabe prior to his mutation in the Archie comics, but also a fully-fledged "Marine biologist" so maybe he did get that degree.

You know... maybe Ray and Ray aren't so different after all.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:37 AM   #4164
mikey0
Foot Elite

Free shipping on wave 1 through 4 this week on Super7.com: https://twitter.com/super7store/stat...DQ7cX91o8sAAAA

Scumbug is $54.99 at EE: https://www.entertainmentearth.com/p...igure/sup82835
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #4165
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Tried to find an answer to this question, maybe it's already been asked and I just missed it but...

With them releasing Zak, what are the odds they release the other Neutrinos? I ask because, if I remember correctly, aren't they technically part of the "toon Turtles" line? But then again, so is Toon Shredder, and they're doing him...

I guess I'm just only interested in preordering Zak if I know I can get ahold of all three of them.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #4166
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Tried to find an answer to this question, maybe it's already been asked and I just missed it but...

With them releasing Zak, what are the odds they release the other Neutrinos? I ask because, if I remember correctly, aren't they technically part of the "toon Turtles" line? But then again, so is Toon Shredder, and they're doing him...

I guess I'm just only interested in preordering Zak if I know I can get ahold of all three of them.
It’s like with the Punk Frogs. If Zak sells well, Super7 will probably do the rest of the Neutrinos.

The website Toy Stlkr lists the newest Shredder as a cartoon Shredder, but wave 8 Shredder is based on unproduced basic Shredder variant.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #4167
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Gotcha. Preordering with fingers crossed!
Old 11-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #4168
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Reviewers review thousands of toys so they will be critical of things that the average person wont. However, when I watch the reviews for wave 5 and 6 by Pixel Dan, Toy Bro or Toy Shiz, I get the impression that they are overwhelmingly pleased with the figures with the exception of hip/joint issues. And, some of these hip/joint issues were more apparent in the early reviewer copies. Reviewers mention loose joints on Slash. My Slash passes the wobble test. Also, most of these reviewers seem to be pleased with the aesthetics, but they might say something along the lines of "I wish Samurai Leo's armor was shinier". So they probably deduct a .5 or less (in their head) from the total score or something but folks like us interpret it as the end of the world. We're too extra!

I would recommend checking out in-hand reviews by customers from the TMNT Party Wagon FB group or Fwoosh. Not all issues from the reviewer copies make their way to customers. The Technodrome is a decades old forum, so it may have more older, hardened and cynical critics (as opposed to the general population). It's hardly representative of the real world.
It's funny that that was your take-away from watching those reviews because that's not what I got out of them at all. I think the only time I've ever seen Pixel Dan be that negative was for a couple really weak figures from the 2012 line. He's an extremely positive dude, to the point that people call him a shill, and he straight-up called out Super7 over Krang. Toy Shiz was also extremely negative, and even Veebs on Fwoosh was a bit negative and I'd say he's a bit of a Super7 fanboy.

Maybe the lesson here is, if you're predisposed to thinking positively/negatively, that's the impression you'll get from reviews. I agree with the earlier post that the vast majority of in-hand impressions I've seen of wave 5 have been negative, at least as far as Leo and Krang are concerned.

Wave 5 does seem to be the outlier though, as the figures I've opened from wave 6 have been fantastic.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:00 AM   #4169
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
It's funny that that was your take-away from watching those reviews because that's not what I got out of them at all. I think the only time I've ever seen Pixel Dan be that negative was for a couple really weak figures from the 2012 line. He's an extremely positive dude, to the point that people call him a shill, and he straight-up called out Super7 over Krang. Toy Shiz was also extremely negative, and even Veebs on Fwoosh was a bit negative and I'd say he's a bit of a Super7 fanboy.

Maybe the lesson here is, if you're predisposed to thinking positively/negatively, that's the impression you'll get from reviews. I agree with the earlier post that the vast majority of in-hand impressions I've seen of wave 5 have been negative, at least as far as Leo and Krang are concerned.

Wave 5 does seem to be the outlier though, as the figures I've opened from wave 6 have been fantastic.
I'm taking about aesthetics not quality control issues (joints/hips etc.)

There's a tendency to conflate the two in this forum.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #4170
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
And he's an eccentric and demonstrative environmental activist. MASSIVE ego, no doubt.

I always assumed he was an academic to boot, but just being an aquarium employee wouldn't necessarily guarantee advanced formal education. "Jack Finney" was sort of a vigilante/private eye wannabe prior to his mutation in the Archie comics, but also a fully-fledged "Marine biologist" so maybe he did get that degree.

You know... maybe Ray and Ray aren't so different after all.
You've nailed it!

Heck, even Jack Finney's "fleshy horns" caricature comes across as demeaning, cocky and condescending!

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/...easter_egg.png

In theory, Man Ray should mark the completion of the Toon line from NECA.

Last edited by Dask; 11-08-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #4171
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I know GDL also thought they were bad ...specifically mentioned that the only good figure from Wave 5 was Undercover Raphael, who isn't even technically part of Wave 5.
Nonsense.

Undercover Raph is the absolute worst figure in the entire Super7 TMNT portfolio. This is why it's important to have these figures in-hand. I currently have all the TMNT Super7 figures (and 85+% of the NECAs), including the retailier exclusives, Undercover Raph, GIT Muckman, Baxter and MM.

If you look at his trench coat in the prototype/promotional picture, it is made of a high-quality felt-like material. While, no one was expecting S7 to deliver quality soft goods at the level of Mezco, what the actual figure came with absolutely disappoints. His sleeve is all crinkly looking, which triggers an OCDish itch in me (Do you guys iron your action figure soft goods?) and there were several complaints in the TMNT Party Wagon group that the accessories also do not match the promotional images (for example, the camera is a solid silver (it's missing the black accents). The goggles do not rest on his eyes naturally, rendering them useless. Compounding this is the fact that none of Raphael's head sculpts have removable hats (please take a note from NECA's Film Undercover Raphael, Super7 - the hat was molded in a way that fits the contours of Raphael's head with removable bandana). This precludes the possibility of swapping the new head sculpt with the original Raphael figure.

As far as fidelity to the vintage, it is good, as the vintage figure also had the permanently stuck hat (but isn't S7 trying to emulate the vintage, not merely copy and paste?). As far as fidelity to the promotional is concerned, it falls short due to the aforementioned issues (it's blatant false advertisement).

If we look at how well Super7 has performed (to assess delivery of product with respect to promise/product target renders), the gold standard is the prototype/promotional images.

Better than prototype:Slash, Leatherhead

Equal to prototype: Ray Fillet, Samurai Leo, Surfer Mike, Krang (aesthetics, not quality control guys, we can't judge overall build quality from renders), Scratch, Mousers

Worse than prototype: Ace Duck, Undercover Raph (significantly worse)

Last edited by Dask; 11-08-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:33 AM   #4172
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm taking about aesthetics not quality control issues (joints/hips etc.)

There's a tendency to conflate the two in this forum.
Pretty sure the poster you quoted/answered was referring to the joints, as that is what basically everyone is complaining about with wave 5. Not sure why you'd attempt to argue his point by talking about something completely different.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #4173
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Pretty sure the poster you quoted/answered was referring to the joints, as that is what basically everyone is complaining about with wave 5. Not sure why you'd attempt to argue his point by talking about something completely different.
I think Y2Josh had major issues with Ray Fillet's aesthetics. I agreed with teemu's assessment that "Ray Fillet and Leatherhead are mostly masterpieces to the originals." I also very much doubt that the topic is exclusively confined to quality assurance, because it was stated that Undercover Raphael is the only good figure (similar to the comment that Scratch was the only good/accurate (?) figure that S7 ever made), well Raphael is more or less identical to the previously released Raphael but with a different belt! (so it required near zero effort for S7 to use the same mold).

If you look closely at my response, I've covered the hip/joint issues in vast detail. I even stated that some of those issues (regarding early reviewer figures) don't necessarily translate into the final product. For example, early reviewer copies of Slash had the wobbly hips, but most customers (including me) have reported stable hips. Krang is the figure with universally messed up joints. Leatherhead, and Ray have stable joints for me, but Samurai Leo doesn't (not that it matters because he holds his balance/pose perfectly fine).

Last edited by Dask; 11-08-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #4174
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
You've nailed it!

Heck, even Jack Finney's "fleshy horns" caricature comes across as demeaning, cocky and condescending!

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/...easter_egg.png

In theory, Man Ray should mark the completion of the Toon line from NECA.
Oh, man, was Finney a stand-in for Steve Murphy, himself?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #4175
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

To clarify, when I talk about the QC issues, I'm referencing things like the loose joints or the sometimes baffling engineering behind these figures (Foot Soldier, Metalhead, Rocksteady).

I did mention that I don't care for Ray's portraits, but ceded that my opinion was likely to be shared by only a small few. Aesthetically, I do think most of these figures are excellent, at least insofar as the base sculpt is concerned (the human characters being the exception here). Where I take real umbrage in terms of the aesthetics is the inconsistency of the paint applications. For me, that's what really sets my OCD off. Why are only some of the accessories painted? Why are some of the figures painted so well and some of them literally look like upscaled Playmates figures? That's the sort of stuff that makes me feel like they don't really have a handle on what they're doing.

As far as Undercover Raph, I don't own him, and I'm not really interested in the variants - I was just mentioning that GDL, who absolutely LOVES Super7, mentioned that he was the best figure out of "Wave 5."

I'll circle back around to this in a week-ish, though, as I tossed a Leatherhead into my Pile of Loot that just shipped. If he's a ton better in hand, I'll have no problem admitting I was wrong.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:13 PM   #4176
Filespit
Hench Mutant

Had Wave 5 delivered last week and Wave 6 today. I skipped Sewer Samurai Leo and Sewer Surfin Mike as all the alternate figures are of no interest for me (one has to draw the line somewhere).

Slash was the one I was most excited about and he's definitely my favorite of the line so far. Ace Duck is a cool figure but way smaller than I expected. I also struggled to plug in his wings, where one of the wings has a suspiciously weak peg, feels like it could break at any time. My biggest disappointment are the Mousers, they just felt really lame. For that price I expected something better, I very much prefer Neca's Mousers.
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #4177
PrestonC
Random Punk

I’d like to get some stands for the figures to display them without risk of them falling over, but does anyone know what size peg I should get? Neca stands have pegs that are too big for the Super7 Ultimates figures.
PrestonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:01 AM   #4178
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filespit View Post
I also struggled to plug in his wings, where one of the wings has a suspiciously weak peg, feels like it could break at any time.

I had the same problem. I microwaved a bowl of water for 4 minutes, soaked him in the super hot water, then put the wings in and it finally fit. It just seemed like the peg holes for the wings weren't properly sized.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:13 PM   #4179
mikey0
Foot Elite

Old 11-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #4180
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post

I had the same problem. I microwaved a bowl of water for 4 minutes, soaked him in the super hot water, then put the wings in and it finally fit. It just seemed like the peg holes for the wings weren't properly sized.
I had the wings in one minute using a hair dryer. I don't get the water method. It's messy and dipping painted figures in water is not really a good idea.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote