The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 09-24-2023, 01:55 AM   #41
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Being born and semi-raised in Chicago (most of my more formative years were in Mexico), I am glad that I not only moved out of there, but when it came time to return to the US, I had other options and didn't just go back.

My god that place is a hellhole.
From the people I know who live in and around Chicago, it really depends where, but yeah some places are horrendous. Spent a fair bit of time on the outskirts myself.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:59 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've been there one time, for a convention around 2017 where I stayed at Frank Fosco's house. The same trip I met Patrick Stewart. Frank lived a bit out of Chicago, but the convention was in Chicago. And definitely Frank Fosco is not of the mindset at all of what has been alluded to be espoused by the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Not in the figures I've seen online, such as the FBI website. What is perhaps not that surprising is that nearly half of all murders are comitted by someone known to the victim.
Ah, I have to correct myself! What I meant to say was, yes, they DO use gang shootings in the numbers, but to conflate things about "mass shootings." Which are useful numbers to wave around every time there is a new school shooting or something. As in, the twelve drive by gang shootings last week in Detroit are exactly the same as someone gunning down gay people in a club because those are more "mass shootings" we can point to in wanting more legislation.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-24-2023 at 02:09 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:01 PM   #43
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As in, the twelve drive by gang shootings last week in Detroit are exactly the same as someone gunning down gay people in a club because those are more "mass shootings" we can point to in wanting more legislation.
So at least four people died in each shooting in Detroit?

(this is the accepted definition used by the Department of Justice)
Old 10-03-2023, 11:05 PM   #44
TurtleManiac
Mad Scientist

Things are getting bad in retail stores here in California because of the leftist soft on crime ideology. Walked into a Target store the other day to buy a few things, and everything is locked up, have to press a button to call a store attendant to get something out of the shelf. The poor girl working the beauty/cosmetics aisle couldn’t catch a break. It’s cause criminals are now allowed to just grab stuff and walk away with it un-checked, and security isn’t allowed to stop them or else they face legal consequences for trying to stop the criminals. Businesses are fleeing. It was never this bad until the last couple years. Make California Great Again!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 03:05 AM   #45
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleManiac View Post
Things are getting bad in retail stores here in California because of the leftist soft on crime ideology. Walked into a Target store the other day to buy a few things, and everything is locked up, have to press a button to call a store attendant to get something out of the shelf. The poor girl working the beauty/cosmetics aisle couldn’t catch a break. It’s cause criminals are now allowed to just grab stuff and walk away with it un-checked, and security isn’t allowed to stop them or else they face legal consequences for trying to stop the criminals. Businesses are fleeing. It was never this bad until the last couple years. Make California Great Again!
It isn't just California having that problem, other states as well. And here, because of the cutbacks to funding and the cost of living crisis making prices go up, people are shoplifting more, and unless they steal over £100, the police aren't as interested. People are generally nicking meat and cigarettes to resell, and it's all under the threshold, so no one usually turns up to investigate. And small shop owners are really starting to get pissed off, and their insurance companies I would imagine.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:12 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
It isn't just California having that problem, other states as well. And here, because of the cutbacks to funding and the cost of living crisis making prices go up, people are shoplifting more, and unless they steal over £100, the police aren't as interested. People are generally nicking meat and cigarettes to resell, and it's all under the threshold, so no one usually turns up to investigate. And small shop owners are really starting to get pissed off, and their insurance companies I would imagine.
I would imagine it is like here, where it isn't that "the police" aren't interested to investigate as it is a blanket policy not to. Since our blue states are not so slowly following your glowing model.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:28 AM   #47
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Sylvester Stallone is supposedly leaving California and moving to Florida.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:37 AM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Sylvester Stallone is supposedly leaving California and moving to Florida.

I thought he already did that? "The Stallones" showed him moving.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:59 AM   #49
ResidentEvil7
Foot Soldier

I live outside Chicago in northern Cook County and I'm afraid of going back to the city because of all the violence you see on local news like ABC 7 and FOX 32 Chicago News. There's shootings, carjackings, theft, fights and so on.

It's unfortunate, because I wish I could go back to visit Chinatown and experience Asian culture, the restaurants and shops. Yet, it's not like I don't have Asian culture where I live; we have Japanese restaurants and grocery stores and Thai, Korean and Chinese restaurants and shops here. So it's not like I need to go to the city of Chicago anytime soon.
ResidentEvil7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:35 PM   #50
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentEvil7 View Post
I live outside Chicago in northern Cook County and I'm afraid of going back to the city because of all the violence you see on local news like ABC 7 and FOX 32 Chicago News. There's shootings, carjackings, theft, fights and so on.

It's unfortunate, because I wish I could go back to visit Chinatown and experience Asian culture, the restaurants and shops. Yet, it's not like I don't have Asian culture where I live; we have Japanese restaurants and grocery stores and Thai, Korean and Chinese restaurants and shops here. So it's not like I need to go to the city of Chicago anytime soon.
It's really like that now too.... it's just not worth going to the city for anything anymore.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:38 AM   #51
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

theres been few incidents smash/grab in Norway (cel phones). But its not bananas like CA or something.

more murders than usual jan/feb , family tragedies.....but it evens out & Norway still a safe country.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:33 AM   #52
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Just saying, if you sucker punch a woman or a child in my town, you’d be fortunate if the cops got to you before the citizens did.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:21 AM   #53
ResidentEvil7
Foot Soldier

I saw that segment on Inside Edition on ABC 7 Chicago yesterday. I may not like children enough to not want any of my own, but even I can say that a little girl doesn't deserve to be attacked for no reason by some migrant criminal.

Luckily, if it had happened where I live, there's a police department around the corner from me.
ResidentEvil7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:01 AM   #54
TurtleManiac
Mad Scientist

Cops can’t really do anything now, after the “George Floyd Justice In Policing Act” was passed in 2021. Seen some videos the last few days of Pro Palestine mobs blocking highways and bridges, and the cops just standing there protecting the mob.

The guy that was choked out on the NY Subway last year, Jordan Neely, was sucker punching women on the streets there’s videos, nobody does anything about it, until Daniel Penny choked him out on the Subway and now they’re trying to put him in jail for protecting potential victims on the Subway. It’s like you can’t even defend yourself without harsh consequences from liberal lawmakers, and criminals just get catch and release.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24478755@N08/
TurtleManiac is offline   Reply With Quote