The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Why was Krang's body redesigned.

Here is a trailer featuring Krang. Notice the human looking face.

And here's a clip from the actual movie. Notice how there is no top of the head or a mouth, but there is still a human nose.

At first I thought they changed because they figured it's stupid for this thing to have a human face when it's otherwise not meant to look very human, which is reasonable by the way, and that the trailer either used old footage or it was only meant to be shown in the trailer so that people would complain less... And then I noticed the nose...

So what was going on here? Did the person who modelled the nose refuse to change it? It's just so bizarre, why keep that element of all things?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 03-17-2021 at 08:11 PM.
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
sdp
-

I never noticed, doesn't help that you barely see Krang's Android Body's Face. From that clip this is a screenshot that I took to compare easier:

The realistic human one doesn't make much sense and not even the 1987 cartoon had a realistic face but I like it and it's the one that was used for the toy, so it was last minute decision.

But if we take a look at the design, it always went for a "realistic" look, no "silly" colors. Which was a mistake, the android body looks incredibly boring and generic; it was already a goofy film adding some red on the design wasn't going to break the "realism" of the film involving Dimension X.

So that's my theory they decided to double down on the realistic look for Krang's body to make it more "believable" and decided to remove the other human parts of the face so it would be more robot like. And I'm guessing they only kept the nose so it would at least somewhat resemble the original pink android suit.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ran across it on Nick again the other day and was likewise again wondering about that weird half head thing. Seems like an odd choice to make and so late.

Maybe they thought it was too distracting, or maybe something was wrong in the rendering and wasn't looking right... Who knows.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
Rabbit Kraken Zeo
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Ran across it on Nick again the other day and was likewise again wondering about that weird half head thing. Seems like an odd choice to make and so late.

Maybe they thought it was too distracting, or maybe something was wrong in the rendering and wasn't looking right... Who knows.
I completely agree with this; perhaps the idea was to be different and something unique yet from the looks of it; not really. If you go full krang, you go the way the animated version embodies.

You seem like a noble leader. Will you join me on my quest to Nidavellir?

Ah, let me just ask the captain. Oh, wait a second, it's me! Yeah. I'll go.
Rabbit Kraken Zeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
Myko
Thug

Except for the weird mustache thing, the 3D model for Krang might be the only good thing about this movie.
Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah, def a last minute change considering both the action figure and the character in the mobile phone game both matched the original appearance.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #7
Galactus
Foot Elite

Probably because it looked dumb. It never made any sense in the 80s show why his android body had a human-esque appearance. It seems unlikely that's what Krang's original body looked like and it wasn't human looking enough that he could pass among Earth's populace if that was his intention.

If there was any other reason other than it looking stupid I imagine it was because half the head gets cut off. They probably didn't want kids getting the impression the turtles had beheaded an actual person and not a robot.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Reasonable theory. Though they also gave it that metal jaw, too. Would be interesting to hear the answer from someone who was involved.

I don't recall anyone complaining about it back then and Krang and the android weren't even in the film all that much, so why even bother with the time and cost of making that change.

It's just so odd how late they had to have done it though. If the more human look was just from a leak many months prior in early development that might be different, but we didn't have confirmation that Krang was even in the movie until the Superbowl ad that year, just four months prior to film release, and it's the first version we see in that trailer.

Side note... Is it weird, though, that even with just the nose and area above the mouth and upper lip still showing... there's still more "human" seen in the android body than the robo Shredder suit in the prior film. Hmm. lol

edit: Maybe seeing that ad play for the Superbowl made someone decide they didn't like the look.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-18-2021 at 04:13 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Come to think of it, I know there was a theory that Krang's human disguise would have been Sacks, and the face got changed because of reshoots or something that made Krang unrelated to Sacks. While I doubt that was ever case, mostly because I don't see how the trailer face looks like Fichtner (But you know, recasts...), it would have explained why Sacks had Ooze in the first movie and why Shredder would trust him in the second.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Side note... Is it weird, though, that even with just the nose and area above the mouth and upper lip still showing... there's still more "human" seen in the android body than the robo Shredder suit in the prior film. Hmm. lol.
I remember people speculating that since Shredder's 2014 armor was clearly inspired by the armor the character had in the 4kids show it meant that he was likely an Utrom or Krang. I never bought that it was clearly supposed to be a human Eric Sachs the entire time.

It's likely we would have gotten helmetless scene of Sachs in the Shredder armor as there are behind the scenes shots of Fichtner wearing a mo cap suit. Of course all that had to be taken out when they hastily remade the movie with a random Japanese guy (who I guess we're supposed to think is Oroku Saki) was made the Shredder instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Come to think of it, I know there was a theory that Krang's human disguise would have been Sacks, and the face got changed because of reshoots or something that made Krang unrelated to Sacks. While I doubt that was ever case, mostly because I don't see how the trailer face looks like Fichtner (But you know, recasts...), it would have explained why Sacks had Ooze in the first movie and why Shredder would trust him in the second.
Sachs was supposed to be a reimagined version of Oroku Saki hence him having a westernized version of his name. We know that for a fact now.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Wow, that's bad.

Never saw the movie, don't plan to. But yeah, that second design is just awful. If you're gonna do "Krang" then at least make it look like the cartoon. To begin there and then walk it back is just stupid. I mean yeah it's goofy-lookin' but at least it looks just like the cartoon come to life and there is some value in that.

Second one is just "blech".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #12
sdp
-

Eric Sachs was hated by the fans so I'm not sure if Krang was ever in the sequel, I can't believe it, they didn't even reference the guy despite being the one character with the most character development in the first movie. I wish we could see the Sacks is Shredder version one day #releasetheSachscut

The decapitating scene seems like a decent theory, perhaps it made the rating go up so they hastily changed it? But it was already PG13 so who knows, I don't think we'll ever find out since no one will ever ask the question since the movie is hated.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Sachs was supposed to be a reimagined version of Oroku Saki hence him having a westernized version of his name. We know that for a fact now.
Yes but that wouldn't have prevented them from making him Krang in the sequel. Since Sacks wasn't actually Shredder in the released cut, then there is no reason to write him as being Shredder in a sequel. If he would turn out to be some old TMNT character in a sequel, that could indeed be Krang... Or Bishop or really anyone else who wasn't a character in the first one.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

A week ago I would have said that the mythical "first cut" of BayTurtles 1 - with Eric Sachs Shredder, Foot Soldier Mutants and a "more serious" plot (allegedly) was a stupid and impossible idea.

Then "Zack Snyder's Justice League" actually came out, was really good, and people actually like it. All things that weren't "possible" not very long ago.

So f*ck it. Do it. Put it on that Paramount streaming gimmick, why not? I'll never watch it, but others will.

Probably never happen. But hey... we've heard THAT before, haven't we?

This has been a crazy f*cking week.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote