The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #121
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

This current trend of cancelling and censorship is nothing more than cultural vandalism and modern day witch hunts and should not be tolerated in any form.

If someone don't like something, simply don't buy it. If someone says something you don't like, either confront them, agree to disagree, or just move the f**k on.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:16 AM   #122
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
All censorship is wrong. The End.
Leo656, brother.

I wish I could high five you, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
This current trend of cancelling and censorship is nothing more than cultural vandalism and modern day witch hunts and should not be tolerated in any form.

If someone don't like something, simply don't buy it. If someone says something you don't like, either confront them, agree to disagree, or just move the f**k on.

This is the correct course of action...in a sane world. But the world isn't really sane anymore, in my opinion.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:43 AM   #123
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

This is how I am looking at it, are these items being removed from your life change it? Did you work on those Dr. Seuss books? Did you create the Jim Crow Crows?

If you cannot see the racism in a picture of a stereotype based caricature, then I have to admit that I wish I lived in your world of bliss

Most of the creators for these products are dead and their families are rich now anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hkohles1

https://www.ebay.com/usr/kohlesgoods

https://www.facebook.com/hkohles1gaming
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:58 AM   #124
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpieturtlemix View Post
If you cannot see the racism in a picture of a stereotype based caricature, then I have to admit that I wish I lived in your world of bliss

You are taking the position that people are ignorant of these tropes.

But I don't think they are. I just think that there are a lot of smart people out there who can read and see these things and understand how they fit into the framework of history and society without going out and being racist or harming people.

But your position is very rigid. It's very simple and it's very black and white. It's a bland operating heuristic that you're building a pyre on. "Stereotype based caricature is bad!" - simply be default. And in situations where there is overt racism (for example, I'd say that old artwork where black people tend to be drawn like clowns with cartoon shapes is pretty damn racist, yeah) I think that if action needs to be taken because modern, educated people are too dumb to integrate an understanding of that nonsense into their framework, then there should be disclaimers that they can read and calm the maladjusted autism through. Because regular people see that crap and can assimilate that it was archaic nonsense right away. But we don't erase it.

The truth is that the it's the idiot population that we are appeasing with these cancellation actions. Somewhere here someone made a statement about how it's "the companies" that are agreeing to it. But that's because those feudal lords are afraid of a peasant revolt. All of this material will come back when this generation has screwed themselves over so much that they'll have no choice but to move on to real life to catch up. Those same people will read what I wrote here and lose their minds at their keyboards because all they'll see is that somehow it's me calling them peasants instead of the allusion or the truth of the situation. F'n peasants.

Last edited by IMJ; 03-31-2021 at 10:04 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:45 AM   #125
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
Leo656, brother.

I wish I could high five you, man.
I felt it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:50 PM   #126
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

Beautiful. Been saying this same thing here as well. Props for recognizing the truth and understand the behavioral element involved. Too many people disregard it and in doing so, support or enable the negativity of cancel culture.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:58 PM   #127
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
What is your position on the the opinion pieces you've posted here?
lol , me?
I think it's ludicrous, it's such far-reaching conclusions to what they are claiming about TMNT. Though no matter how outlandish we may think it is, doesn't mean it will stop the momentum of the intention to "cancel" and appease to a highly vocal, overly-sensitive minority. Considering Eastman and Laird are both white males, the Captain Underpants kung fu situation, and if this cancel culture trajectory continues, in my opinion, it's a matter of time when Eastman, Laird, and the fandom will be bombarded by the SJW cancel culture mob.

For those that remember plastroncafe's time here in the Technodrome Forums and her petulant vociferous arguing over some SJW points with this TMNT franchise (she deemed herself as a "social justice cleric" with pride), in comparison, it would be a small sample to the huge storm arriving once the SJW mob smells blood.

A lot of the opinion pieces I'm posting are more of a "sign of the times". It certainly is saying something when Ebay is banning those 6 Dr. Seuss books from being resold, but a bomb-making terrorist book, The Anarchist Cookbook, (as seen in the below videoclip) and Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf is just fine to sell and buy on Ebay.

Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:02 PM   #128
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Is it just a matter of time before TMNT (in any universe) is eventually restricted or have trigger warnings?
Don't see why or how. As for the stuff you mentioned, like Disney putting up disclaimers to explain that the views represent the times or whatever, and can be viewed through a modern lens as culturally insensitive or sexist. Same with old shows and some other old movies. Look, it was once socially acceptable for a husband to beat his wife if she "got out of line". There are actual laws (still on the books) where it's legal for a husband to beat his wife. We all know that it shouldn't be acceptable under any circumstance for anyone to hit or beat their spouse (same with women who abuse their husbands, which is sadly under-reported), but it was a thing. Old shows that had no problem alluding to that, would seem out of place now.

For the turtles, where is it being culturally insensitive or better yet, how is it being culturally insensitive or how can it be construed in that way? Yoshi's character is Japanese, his rat is Japanese, and his rat teaches a bunch of turtles the art of ninjitsu which he learned (sorta) from his Japanese owner. Other iterations, Splinter is Yoshi and he's Japanese. The only thing wrong as far the series go is that Saki is named Saki and wouldn't work if actual Japanese person had written the story. No Japanese parent would name his/her son Saki.

The 2012 show was okay with the cultural things they used in it, from what I remember, so no issues there. There were liberties taken here and there, but it is an American show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
But your position is very rigid. It's very simple and it's very black and white. It's a bland operating heuristic that you're building a pyre on. "Stereotype based caricature is bad!" - simply be default. And in situations where there is overt racism (for example, I'd say that old artwork where black people tend to be drawn like clowns with cartoon shapes is pretty damn racist, yeah) I think that if action needs to be taken because modern, educated people are too dumb to integrate an understanding of that nonsense into their framework, then there should be disclaimers that they can read and calm the maladjusted autism through. Because regular people see that crap and can assimilate that it was archaic nonsense right away. But we don't erase it.
I have to agree with this. Yeah, there are some racist things from the past, but we should be smart enough to understand that's how it was at the time. We don't condone it, but it is what it is. If it was being done in a modern setting, then there should be outrage or whatever. I felt the same way about the confederate statues. My state is the old capital of the confederacy...it's a part of this state's history. I don't think that they should be "canceled", but if taking them down, they should just put them into a museum. It's history and it shouldn't be erased, good and bad.

Last edited by ssjup81; 03-31-2021 at 09:12 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:06 AM   #129
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

Apparently you can get a copy of "And to think I saw it on mulberry street" by Dr Seuss for $139.97 on Amazon I anyone is interested.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #130
Sumac
Banned

From what I understood, TMNT has a relatively big fandom of furries in it. Since there is an overlap, between furry and other gender degenerates it might be not so easy to cancel TMNT. But its like taking acid to quell poisoning.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #131
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

American culture was, and is still, created when people came from all over the world (especially from Western countries, but even many other places) to contribute, and people and cultures from all over the world were mixed. That's what made it so great, and that's why I can't stand Donald Trump. (I understand no country can have unlimited immigration, but not all immigrants are criminals or illegal, and that is an issue of economy and politics more than contributions to culture).

The Ninja Turtles:

Practice Japanese martial arts

Are named after European Renaissance artists

Like pizza, which at least in its modern form, eveovled in Italy

Befriend April O'Neil, who is of some Irish-American origin (and we all know all Americans are of immigrant origin, originally even the Native Americans who came via the Bering's Strait land bridge many thousands of years ago)

Live in the multitultural-melting pot of New York City

Aren't bound to be citizens of any country, and travel around Earth

Are exposed to people fearing the different (a symbol of racism and xenophobia)

Watch television shows from other planets than Earth (Planet of the Turtles)

Something to think of be for calling for cancellation.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 04-01-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #132
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
American culture was, and is still, created when people came from all over the world (especially from Western countries, but even many other places) to contribute, and people and cultures from all over the world were mixed. That's what made it so great. (I understand no country can have unlimited immigration, but that's an issue of politics more than culture)

The Ninja Turtles:

Practice Japanese martial arts

Are named after European Renaissance artists

Like pizza, which at least in its modern form, eveovled in Italy

Befriend April O'Neil, who is of some Irish-American origin (and we all know all Americans are of immigrant origin, originally even the Native Americans who came via the Bering's Strait land bridge many thousands of years ago)

Live in the multitultural-melting pot of New York City

Aren't bound to be citizens of any country

Watch television shows from other planets than Earth (Planet of the Turtles)

Are exposed to people fearing the different (a symbol of racism and xenophobia)

Something to think of be for calling for cancellation.
You can't use logic here suddenly after years of agreeing with these small societal trends and giving them power, and then expect your logic to be heard.

Melting pot situations like you've described in your post are no longer representations or archetypes, but rather they are now cultural appropriations - at least according to the liberal mob.

And here we are in this thread potentially living the future of the franchise that we all enjoy but that many of you here didn't have a problem with cancel culture until it came for something that you loved. So far it's all just conversation related to this I.P. but where are all of the liberal apologists that haunt other threads where they can hide behind plausible deniability and virtue signaling arguments? Where are they going to be with their past opinions when the liberal mob witch-hunt comes for their hobby?
Old 04-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #133
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

On the plus side, since we are discussing them canceling tmnt for having a character of asian descent teaching martial arts to animal / human hybrids, then I am assuming other shows will get canceled for having asian characters too. Good old Captain Planet and Magic School Bus will clearly be the next targets

Old 04-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #134
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:

That last part is good advice. As a leftist, I get weary of cultural cancelling... IF we choose to cancel things we cannot learn from the disgustingly vile mistakes. The problem is the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I think we can "forgive but not forget" Mark Twain for his racism in Huck Finn and the blatant sexism and misogyny of Captain Ahab in Melville's story. It was the times, fashionable and accepted.

Seuss? Raymond Chandler too??? A host of other writers/creators? Can that be argued that it was "the times" as well? MAYBE? But our society should not TO THIS DAY hold these men up on pedestals. I love some of those stories because I was raised on them. Should they be cancelled? NO! They should be held up and their racism and sexism should be taught to young kids as EVIL. It should not be hidden away. It should be exposed. Kids today, as we were when I was a kid... should be exposed to that evil and taught to fight it!

t's not that hard to endeavor to be decent to women or smile at and be friendly/helpful to people who are not of your race or class.

Point being... some things need cancelled but those are cultural things... not art/entertainment/literature/film... if you cancel it, it's a disservice to society!

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 04-03-2021 at 07:00 PM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #135
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
From what I understood, TMNT has a relatively big fandom of furries in it. Since there is an overlap, between furry and other gender degenerates it might be not so easy to cancel TMNT. But its like taking acid to quell poisoning.
Who are you calling degenerates exactly? Furryism is not a gender, last time I checked... it's a lifestyle. And... What kind of gender deserved to be called degenerate? Are you always this cruel or do you only act this way on internet forums?
Old 04-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #136
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

They're doing it again...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/scho..._recirculation
Old 04-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #137
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower1985 View Post
I think we can "forgive but not forget" Mark Twain for his racism in Huck Finn and the blatant sexism and misogyny of Captain Ahab in Melville's story. It was the times, fashionable and accepted.

Seuss? Raymond Chandler too??? A host of other writers/creators? Can that be argued that it was "the times" as well? MAYBE? But our society should not TO THIS DAY hold these men up on pedestals. I love some of those stories because I was raised on them. Should they be cancelled? NO! They should be held up and their racism and sexism should be taught to young kids as EVIL. It should not be hidden away. It should be exposed. Kids today, as we were when I was a kid... should be exposed to that evil and taught to fight it!
You sound like a zealot book-burner.
No different than religious nutjobs, who want to destroy artifacts of the past, because, they don't fit in their narrative and, in their warped worldview can "corrupt people".

Quote:
Who are you calling degenerates exactly? Furryism is not a gender, last time I checked... it's a lifestyle. And... What kind of gender deserved to be called degenerate? Are you always this cruel or do you only act this way on internet forums?
"Furryism" is a lifestyle of deranged people, which have association with a lot of unsavory stuff, including zoophilia and pedophilia.

I am not interested in arguments, like "but its not all of them", because, dressing as giant ****ing ugly cartoon animal is not normal on its own in the first place.

As for "gender speculs" - they also crazy or pretentious liars, who are trying to use made up gender identities to hide the fact, that they are ugly, boring, stupid and nothing special.

Together with furries, they are indeed "degenerates" who destroy society from the inside, creating constant conflicts to pander to their tiny worthless egos.

Its not cruelty to call liars and losers, liars and losers. We ended up in this situation exactly, because, a lot of people considered this **** normal and that instead curing those people we need to be softer to them.

Those cretins never dealt with mentally ill abusers, otherwise, they'd know - you never pander to abusers or / and mentally ill. NEVER. Pandering just reaffirms degenerates that they can achieve everything by emotional manipulation, suicide baiting and constant scandals and abuse.

And instead of fixing their worthless useless dumb lives and achieving something, they are reaffirmed that they can just cry on the Twitter (and sometimes in real world) about their totally "not made up gender identity" or "me too" and get clout, money and power, when in reality they are the least oppressed people in the world.

Last edited by Sumac; 04-04-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #138
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
We have a thread about it even...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:56 PM   #139
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
As a leftist,

It's not that hard to endeavor to be decent to women or smile at and be friendly/helpful to people who are not of your race or class.

Point being... some things need cancelled but those are cultural things... not art/entertainment/literature/film... if you cancel it, it's a disservice to society!
Dude. "leftists" are the greatest haters on the Earth. Their entire philosophy is rooted in hate behind a message of equality. It's a lie man.

I would give some consideration to the fact that maybe you aren't a leftist, but for whatever.... uninformed reasons.... chose to believe that's where you fall. If what you said above was that simple then you'd actually be centered. Leftists don't want equality man. Those words are merely their propaganda while they tear down the country. It's like the guy who walks up to you and asks if you are okay while he puts a knife in you ,and as you lay down he keeps asking if you are okay, but he gutted you.

And the same thought processes that maybe make you think you fall on the left will galvanize you to argue you about it. And so I'm not saying that what you posted is wrong, but I am saying that the associations you've made about the left are wrong and that you don't know the truth of the spectrum and you drank the kool-aid and believed it. It's not the left that wants equality buddy. If it was they'd simply be living it.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #140
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Well, during the 80’s, TMNT almost got “cancelled” by the UK because of Michelangelo’s nunchucks, which for some reason were considered more dangerous than the other turtles’ weapons, so the creators of the cartoon made the (stupid) decision of replacing them with a grappling hook.

Tags
cancel culture