The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Universe #16 preview and discussion.

Three page preview already up on iTunes.

Fortunately, with no dialogue on the first few pages!

Spoiler:
Look at the baby! Look at the baby!
I'm guessing it's Zom...
Old 11-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Spoiler:

Looks like its gonna be good!
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Triceraton children are adorable.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
ChosenOne
Banned

Two pages in, and we already have more insight on Triceraton society than on Utrominon's...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, I was going to say, that's quite a situation. You'd think there would have been quite a bit more on Utrominion society - even if it was just dropped in conversation by Krang. And with so much of the early story revolving around Utroms, you'd think we'd know at least a little bit about what their society is like.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
bushido
Stone Warrior

Full preview here.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It almost seems like this is going to cover parts of the oh-so-mysterious D'Hoonib War. Which...what happened to them after that, anyway?

I've also noticed that there is some effort at sexual dimorphism this time around. With males having tusks and are altogether more "rugged".
Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well, that pretty much went as expected. Especially the bit of Zom poking around where she wasn't allowed.

I couldn't help but notice Krang having just a little bit more chill than he did in the main series, save for his one big snap in his conversation with Zog.

But boy, the reveal of Zog's own history was really something. It really makes his relationship with Krang a lot more interesting. One could argue that Krang practically raised him.

The mini story was pretty cute.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 11-22-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, so I'm a little confused here.
Spoiler:
Is it implied that the second herd are all clones of Zog to prevent breeding, or that the second herd was just "patched" to be inherently sterile?
I get that the first herd had to be wiped out because having them breed naturally would be a risk, i'm just not clear on the method used to force them into pure clone reproduction.
Hahahaha!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Spoiler:
With Zom around, they're clearly not all clones (since a female clone would probably be impossible - and making the obvious attraction between them pretty awkward). It's a little hard to swallow that he was the only baby Triceraton from the first herd, though. I like how the name "Zog" came about though.

I noticed something else new to Krang, at least for this period of time. That being he actively "dislikes" his father, and doesn't want Zog to refer to Quanin as such.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Was a'ight.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I just realized an interesting pattern.
Krang recalls a time where Quanin refused to think of him as his son. In this particular issue, Krang balks at Quanin being referred to as his father, but only in this one. In Utrom Empire, taking place a good while later, Krang is defensive of Quanin - calling him his father again - and thinks of the efforts to expand the empire to be a joint effort between them. So, what happened between there and now - and for Krang to develop his "I'll die fighting for my people" deathwish (womp wommmp) that vanished after Utrom Empire. Where did the "I'm waiting for Quanin to die so I can take over" plan go? He's even a little shaken by Quanin's death in the main series and specifically tells Stockman that he wants to restore his honor.

He also brings up the planet the Triceratons just conquered as a new place to "populate", which could parallel to Honeycutt saying that Utroms were relatively few in number even before Utrominion was destroyed.

Meanwhile, I'm noticing a very literal herd mentality in the Triceratons that, all things considered, really should have been paid close attention to. It seems like some extreme short-sightedness, especially on Quanin and Krang's part.

And MAN, poor Zog in the Battle Nexus.
All that rebellion just to end up losing his herd and his mind.

One thing that I wish could be developed in better detail is the "gray" area between the two. Surely there were Utroms that didn't want to treat the Triceratons so harshly (Commander Grel? Even with getting caught in the middle of rough housing?), and likewise, Triceratons that didn't want to rebel?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:22 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Spoiler:
With Zom around, they're clearly not all clones (since a female clone would probably be impossible - and making the obvious attraction between them pretty awkward). It's a little hard to swallow that he was the only baby Triceraton from the first herd, though. I like how the name "Zog" came about though.

I noticed something else new to Krang, at least for this period of time. That being he actively "dislikes" his father, and doesn't want Zog to refer to Quanin as such.
Ah, OK. I missed that one gender pronoun, i see it now when I went back and checked. It's hard to spot sexual dimorphism here, I honestly thought they implied Zom was a gay guy.
Hahahaha!
Old 11-23-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Nope, she a lady. Though that would probably Zog and Krang another potential parallel, as if they weren't dramatically similar enough already.

In the main line's story, it is pretty darn hard to tell, but in this one, male Triceratons have those tusks at the back of their mouths and are extra spiky in their frills.

All things considered though, Krang and Zog have quite a lot in common.
  • Generals
  • Resentful of their creators
  • Will do anything for their people
  • Ironically end up not being able to enjoy the fruits of their labor in saving their people
  • Close to one particular lower officer, who is deeply devoted to their superior officer

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 11-23-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

This Triceraton backstory is nice, if a bit confusing. So Zog's finale fate was to be in the Battle Nexus right? The annuals are so poorly written compared to the rest of IDW that I almost forget they're part of the same continuity.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This Triceraton backstory is nice, if a bit confusing. So Zog's finale fate was to be in the Battle Nexus right? The annuals are so poorly written compared to the rest of IDW that I almost forget they're part of the same continuity.
I gotta be honest.

#1. I've tried to read the Annuals (both of them) multiple times each, and I still can't make it through either of them.

#2. This Triceraton backstory isn't working for me. Just zero interest. Not sure why...
Old 11-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #17
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I agree. The annuals are not readable at all. I couldn't finish them as well!!!

Zog's story: leader of triceraton troopers, then Zom leads them away, Zog becomes Krang's bodyguard, he leads a rebellion against Utroms, he falls into obscurity in the Battle Nexus.

I suppose he'll return in the current ark.
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I find it a little odd that the Neutrino trio didn't know who Zog was when the Turtles brought him up.

But as far as Zom would be concerned, he's just "gone". Which...actually might be a ploy in getting the Triceratons off the planet: The turtles know where Zog is and what has happened to him. So Zom might want to save him, regardless of how his mind has deteriorated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
#2. This Triceraton backstory isn't working for me. Just zero interest. Not sure why...
It might be because 2014 was the last time anything was seen of the Triceratons, within the Utrom Empire mini. And after that, there was absolutely nothing, and we weren't given any reason to care. There had been so much with the Utroms already, though the whole main line, that there was more reason to care about their history and what happened to them. Heck, outside of flashbacks, there's practically no mention of the retreat to Earth because of a rebellion.
Krang and others place it on their home planet itself being unable to sustain life anymore - and even continually place that right on Quanin's shoulders. But no one talks about the rebellion or the Triceratons until the trial.

Which makes the Triceratons' role in the Utroms near-extinction seem inconsequential. With his personality, you'd think Krang would be absolutely livid with that there was a rebellion at all, but he never mentions it at all. And I highly doubt it's because of trauma. He's not one to be traumatized, and again, there's the factor of him blaming Quanin.

(Also, where were the Triceratons during the Krang War if they were at the Neutrino's beck and call during that time??? Zenter should have been able to snap his fingers and send the Triceratons to smash the Rock Soldiers into pebbles)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 11-24-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I think my lack of interest is more to the fact that I already know enough to enjoy the Triceratons in current time. Rather see them invading NYC than watch them train and trade insults with Utroms.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題

I appreciate it. It's character and world-building.