The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #1281
sdp
doomer
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,566
Most users ever online was 3,486, 11-30-2015 at 02:24 AM.


What happened November 30th 2015?
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #1282
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
Is there any real reason the western states can't pipe in Pacific ocean water to...lets call them water refineries... where they might be able to distill out the salt (add in other needed minerals) and use it to make up for drought stricken low freshwater supplies? There's a whole endless supply of water right over there if they can take the salt out...?

That, or a pipeline in flood prone places to send the excess out to the west.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #1283
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 1,605
Taking the salt out and putting other stuff in. It doesn't sound a cheap process. How much would a bottle of this refurbished water cost? I guess that's a solution you should take in consideration only if there aren't cheaper available ways of obtaining drinkable water.
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #1284
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
Not so much for bottling, but thinking more for filling reservoirs and whatnot for farm and general area need where the natural water levels are too depleted. Boiling to remove the salts could be a simple enough process? If it could be piped into a constant stream of it. Heck... and produce saleable sea salt as a byproduct.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:31 PM   #1285
sdp
doomer
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,566
not feasible just like perpetual motion, it's not actually applicable as the process is costs more than what it would get out of. not to be a debbie downer, it'd be great if a forum post on a tmnt forum helped humanity but not possible.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:43 PM   #1286
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
Well I wasn't calling any business meeting over it or anything.

It's just a shame that, comparatively, oil pays big bucks to be piped in and refined and whatnot, but fixing local water issues with a big body of water right to the west isn't worthy of the expense to turn some of it into usable water to ease the drought.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:09 AM   #1287
sdp
doomer
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,566
desalination isn't only just not cost effective, it creates a bigger carbon footprint than alternatives.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #1288
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
After not finding any small ones in stores, a friend in CA tried to order a 3qt Crock-Pot from Amazon...and the seller canceled and said they can't ship it to that state.

Really, is that illegal and why?
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #1289
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Most users ever online was 3,486, 11-30-2015 at 02:24 AM.


What happened November 30th 2015?
I think TMNT Mutants in Manhattan came out round that time.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:01 PM   #1290
Vegita-San
Emperor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,452
one of the odd random thoughts had recently..
how come most of the LGTB community seems to be white? was curious if it's just my imagination....then I found this....

https://diversity.iupui.edu/offices/...uick-Facts.pdf

seems to be mostly a white thing if this small polling is any issue...
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #1291
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
Eh, when it focuses on Indiana (not surprised) and college students. The first section, U.S. overall, says that people of color as reported in 2019 were a little higher than whites, but not by a lot.

If it's mostly a "white thing," it would not surprise me if, culturally speaking, white people are just more confident to be out about it. On top of the fact of just simply being the larger chunk of the population, so you have more opportunity for more LGBT people among our demographic.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:02 PM   #1292
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 24,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
one of the odd random thoughts had recently..
how come most of the LGTB community seems to be white? was curious if it's just my imagination....then I found this....

https://diversity.iupui.edu/offices/...uick-Facts.pdf

seems to be mostly a white thing if this small polling is any issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
If it's mostly a "white thing," it would not surprise me if, culturally speaking, white people are just more confident to be out about it. On top of the fact of just simply being the larger chunk of the population, so you have more opportunity for more LGBT people among our demographic.
Frankly, in my experience white people are by far the most tolerant and accepting when it comes to people being gay. So that probably has something to do with it. Most of the non-white people I've worked with over the years were pretty homophobic; they'd often say things like they'd disown their kids for being gay (a few of them actually did do that), that you should be able to beat up a gay person if they try and come on to you, stuff like that. Some of the Muslim people I knew would openly say that you should kill gay people; whereas the black people and Hispanic people would "just" say that it's okay to beat them up.

So if anything, I think that there being so much anti-gay sentiment even still among non-white people means that people of those races are afraid to come out or even entertain the idea that they might not be straight. There definitely might be more LGBTQ+ people among whites than non-whites, BUT I also think that white people in general are just plain more comfortable and accepting of the idea, and that skews the data.

I remember once upon a time I was getting into it with this black guy I worked with because he was saying how he disowned his daughter because she was in a lesbian relationship. He kept going on about how "I can't agree with people who choose to be that way," and I was like "I don't think it's a choice, exactly, I think that's how some people are wired." And he was like "NO, it's definitely a choice. My daughter said to me, 'This is how we CHOOSE to live', and so I told her she can't be in my life until she chooses not to be that way." And I was like, "I think you misunderstood what she was saying; people can choose to be 'out' and live the lifestyle but they can't choose whether or not they're gay." But he wasn't having it.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #1293
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
When something in the toy aisle makes you think, "Dammit, why can't I still be 6, even just for a minute?"

If this existed back then it would have immediately been a much wanted Christmas present. An accessory for the "Our Generation" line of dolls in Target, very much like the American Girl dolls, so this doll sized toy Jeep that fits two is quite large. If I was rich and had a big house... I'd be maybe finding a place to put it. lol And maybe a giant Turtle as a driver instead.

IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #1294
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Frankly, in my experience white people are by far the most tolerant and accepting when it comes to people being gay. So that probably has something to do with it. Most of the non-white people I've worked with over the years were pretty homophobic; they'd often say things like they'd disown their kids for being gay (a few of them actually did do that), that you should be able to beat up a gay person if they try and come on to you, stuff like that. Some of the Muslim people I knew would openly say that you should kill gay people; whereas the black people and Hispanic people would "just" say that it's okay to beat them up.

So if anything, I think that there being so much anti-gay sentiment even still among non-white people means that people of those races are afraid to come out or even entertain the idea that they might not be straight. There definitely might be more LGBTQ+ people among whites than non-whites, BUT I also think that white people in general are just plain more comfortable and accepting of the idea, and that skews the data.

I remember once upon a time I was getting into it with this black guy I worked with because he was saying how he disowned his daughter because she was in a lesbian relationship. He kept going on about how "I can't agree with people who choose to be that way," and I was like "I don't think it's a choice, exactly, I think that's how some people are wired." And he was like "NO, it's definitely a choice. My daughter said to me, 'This is how we CHOOSE to live', and so I told her she can't be in my life until she chooses not to be that way." And I was like, "I think you misunderstood what she was saying; people can choose to be 'out' and live the lifestyle but they can't choose whether or not they're gay." But he wasn't having it.
I guess it kinda makes sense. I don't like using the term 'white privilege' but if does kinda seem easier to come out as gay if you're white unless you live in a homophobic hick town.

I guess from the whole 'oppressed minority point of view' it's kinda like 'it's bad enough I get oppressed because I'm (insert race here), but to also come out as gay and make it even worse on myself?'

Honestly though, I haven't heard the whole 'if my kid is gay they're no longer part of the family' thing more often than from Hispanic families. All jokes aside, most Mexican families do have the man wearing the pants, they take the whole macho thing very seriously, so their kid being gay is a huge no-no. IDK how it is nowadays cause I'm sure the SJW wave hit Mexico in some shape or form, but that's how it was 'back in my day'.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:47 PM   #1295
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
When you and a friend can make it to the end of an MMO dungeon, but you can't complete a quest (non-dungeon) to escort a mechanical chicken to safety... The difficulty of this had to have been someone's joke.


9/10 -- Huh, got an honest one. Caller ID came up with Spam?Name Unavailable. edit: Have seen several now and seems this is something our phone service is doing to mark likely 'spam' calls.


9/13 -- Officially the weirdest thing I've found in one of my shipments for work... someone's Visa debit card! I assume someone at the warehouse where the boxes are packed up for each store somehow lost it. Weird! They are lucky it came to me and not someone who'd try to use it. Hopefully they already canceled it, but I took it home and cut it up.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-13-2021 at 06:51 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:39 PM   #1296
Papenbrook
Sonicalypse
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,513
One thing that I've noticed about video game/anime-based, live-action movies is that they've almost always tried to shove in a white dude in the prominent role.

Like, I don't get why western studios do that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
That was awful. Just... badly-written, badly-conceived, bad all around.

Ugh, this is so disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooo that was way too sick. Mad good. Maaaaad good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 10-01-2021 at 12:39 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #1297
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 13,213
My guess... because society is still messed up in the way that white guys are still treated like the default in that if it's a woman or someone of color in the primary role(s) then people too often tend to assume that the movie is made for people of that gender and/or color, not for them if it isn't their demographic, and may not go see it.

I mean, that isn't even a thing against white guys (before someone starts ranting), but rather a stigma against anyone else that characters of other demographics don't tend to be seen as even being for everyone.

Thus, I can only assume, possibly limiting viewership and profit, so, basically, going with a white guy is just...the safe choice. Not inherently good or bad, but also not creatively bold either in some cases.

Though most of us are probably guilty of falling into that line of thinking sometimes. I guess that's why characters like the TMNT are so easily universal, because green skinned people with shells defy that socialized nonsense and are automatically for everyone. (Except weird people who don't understand why they are awesome, but those people smell and can stay away.)




10/10 -- A couple times over the years I've grabbed a fly out of air, but this is the first time I accidentally grabbed one. Went to turn off a lamp to try to encourage it to leave a room and the same second the thing went right into my hand just as I closed my fingers on the switch. lol Too bad it surprised me and I let go of it, missing the chance to toss it outside.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-10-2021 at 06:52 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #1298
Papenbrook
Sonicalypse
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,513
These questions ponder my head:
  • How do I feel about the increased hyper-inflation/decreased supply chain?
  • Will the current strikes/protests affect the United States in any way?
  • Will we be able to develop technology to the point where we could replicate voices, or even individuals?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
That was awful. Just... badly-written, badly-conceived, bad all around.

Ugh, this is so disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yooooooooooooooooooooooooo that was way too sick. Mad good. Maaaaad good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #1299
sdp
doomer
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
These questions ponder my head:[*]Will we be able to develop technology to the point where we could replicate voices, or even individuals?[/LIST]
You mean digitally? we can already do that with deep fakes and it's only getting better and better, it's awesome technology.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:21 AM   #1300
Papenbrook
Sonicalypse
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: No comment -_- ...
Posts: 2,513
This image is reminiscent of a muffin.

Spoiler:







Last edited by Papenbrook; 10-28-2021 at 04:27 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.