The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Bye Duke

Today I had to say goodbye to my dog Duke who we have had for 7 1/2 years. He was 12 1/2 years old roughly. Just a few hours ago we took him to the vet to put him down. My two sisters and my mom and dad were there and we stayed with him the whole time until it was over. I can't stop crying. And I did not want to have to goodbye but he deteriorated very fast since the beginning of February. He was such a lovable sweet tempered dog and very sensitive, everyone loved him.

We got him in early August of 2011 about a month after my old dog Vengeance died. Duke was special because since it was kind of soon after my first dog died (he literally dropped dead and it was traumatic for me) and even though I loved him I had a slight issue warming up to him at first. But that changed very quickly because of his lovable personality. He was a lush! He was everyone friend. When my dad and I saw him on the website advertising him on a rescue site in Texas we both gravitated toward him (even though I was still sad about my other dogs passing) When we got him it was obvious for us that he has been abused at some point in his life. He had a scar on his head that the vet we took him too said was not from a scuffle with another dog but from something being broken over his head. (F*ck that person! I hope you get yours!)

And his behavior when we first got him suggested he had been beaten by humans at some point. Bolting behind the couch when I accidentally dropped a plate from the cupboard and it smashed on the counter top (took a while for us to get him out from behind there). Trembling and bolting when my older was brushing her hair (we think he thought he was going to get hit by it) The shelter that took him in does not know what happened to him, they said they randomly found him in the park while they were walking the other shelter dogs and he followed them down the side walk to the shelter and took him in. They were aware of his skittish behavior and took care of him and prepared him for adoption (they suspect that he might have been an over the boarder dog since at first he only responded to commands in Spanish and had to be taught commands in English...not confirmed but speculated on their part). But even the shelter people fell in love with how sweet and mild tempered he was.

My family and I were sensitive to him and coddled him and very shortly after he came to live with us he lost his nervous nature and was just happy and sassy but still very gentle and sweet. Though he would get agitated if there was arguing in the house (something my younger sister and I would notice is that we knew when an argument would break between our parents because he would suddenly get agitated before it would even happen) He was such an empathetic dog.

Almost a year ago he was diagnosed with a tumor on his spleen and he was not a candidate for surgery so we did we could to make him comfortable and happy. And he did not act or look like it bothered him until just recently. Since early February he rapidly got worse. Started breathing heavy, couldn't move on his own, went partially blind, and we decided that it would be more humane to put him down. It was so emotional today, all I could think this morning was "this is the last time we will put on his leash. this is the last time he will walk out this house, ect." I thought I could be strong but when we went into the room to put him down we were all there petting him and I broke down when my dad started crying, my dad almost never cries, and I couldn't keep my self from crying. We were all crying, even the doctor was crying (Duke was a favorite at the vet we took him too, and loved going there unlike other dogs) Duke knew what was going on but I think he knew it was time for him. Man this is tough.

This is Duke:

https://www.deviantart.com/patou244/...hair-790277165

https://www.deviantart.com/patou244/...ting-790273615

https://www.deviantart.com/patou244/...gate-790273371

https://www.deviantart.com/patou244/...appy-790273940

(the image function does not seem to be working for me)

I just have to think that he isn't suffering anymore and that he is free romping around in doggy heaven with his ear flopping through a field (which he loved to do) shooting the sh*t with our other dog Vengeance sharing stories of what it was like have us as a family.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series

Last edited by Sage Ninja; 03-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog, Duke.

My condolences are with you, your family, your friends, and your loved ones.

May he rest in peace.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Aww... so sorry. Sounds like the poor guy had a pretty rough start, but also sounds like he got any dog's dream come true by becoming part of a family like yours.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

That is such a hard thing to do. Saying goodbye to such a good friend, an integral part of the family is so difficult.

I'm really sorry for your loss. My sincere and deepest condolences.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

That's rough. Really sorry.

I don't like to dwell on these things because I'm too sensitive to it. Sorry I don't have more to say. Hang in there.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This thread as an emotional output speaks to me. I made a thread trying to diagnosis my cat, Mid-Nite. He would pass just a couple days after I made the thread, it was January 9th. More than two months have passed since then. His kidney shutdown over a two week period, after having bathroom problems since June. Hearing that sad meow and him wanting to sleep all the with his spitting up what he took in was very hard. I thought he was going to the Vet to get a strict diet and was diagnosed as diabetic just four days before. Fearing the worst that Friday it was a positive thing according to the Vet, he needed a change in diet and recover his strength. I did not expect Tuesday when undergoing test he would not make it. Weeks later not seeing anything wrong until the last almost two weeks and not even expecting it the day I was told he "stopped breathing"...it makes me wonder if its my fault for not catching it before. 15 years and 7 months. That is half of my life and grateful to have my little buddy. My family got him from a pet store after my younger sibling relentlessly begged for a cat,but the cat drifted to me. Its just there is no answer of an animal afterlife which makes it harder. I know I won't bond with any animal the way I did with Mid-Nite. I miss carrying him around and having him there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160203_200853-1.jpg (90.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 03-20-2019 at 11:19 AM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Love those pictures, he looks really sweet. He's in a better place now & after a good number of happy years, at least the last 7.5.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Mike, I'm sorry that you lost your cat, Mid-Nite.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
it makes me wonder if its my fault for not catching it before. 15 years and 7 months.
I wouldn't blame yourself. It's a pretty normal age for natural health issues to start showing up, esp considering how old they are in "cat years" at that point.

Ours, a pair of brothers, will be turning 15... I do believe end of this week, in fact. One of them was himself diagnosed as diabetic last year and is on insulin. Both showing their age a little, but this one more-so. His brother seems to be doing fine still, so you just never really know... Their parents who belong to my sister and brother-in-law are only just shy of a year older; the mother only recently starting to have issues of her own at 16. Health stuff is as individual for them as it is for us and life decides its own time schedule, I guess.

Quote:
Its just there is no answer of an animal afterlife which makes it harder.
Hm, maybe... Of the few paranormal-ish seeming things I've experienced, two are tied to the same beloved cat we lost far too young. I wasn't the only one to experience it and I'm still wondering and without a "logical answer" more than 20 years later. Very skeptical person (not to mention also an atheist) and can't just easily believe these things, I'll probably always be thinking there could be a different answer, but it's still two of the really odd experiences that get me wondering and thinking, well, maybe...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I am sorry for both of your losses, guys, and I can especially relate, after having gone through losing my 12 1/2 yr old sweetheart Demona last year. I was fortunate to have found our little spitfire Cinnamon a couple of weeks before we had to put Demona down, but she is a bittersweet addition all the same. I held Demona in my arms as she breathed her last, and Mr D sang his lullaby to her for the last time. We still miss her. My heart goes out to both of you. Just remember they are waiting at the rainbow bridge for you.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I'm sorry for your loss, Marvel.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Hello everybody thank you so much for the thoughtful posts you made about my dog Duke, I was very appreciated. And I'm sorry if I was a downer about the whole thing I just really needed to get it off my chest. I still miss him very much and so does my dad, but we are getting through because we know it was kinder to let him go than to let him suffer the way he was. My dad wants to get another dog and we know that my dad in particular needs a furry four legged buddy by his side, otherwise my dad is the sort to drink himself into a stupor...so we are looking for a new one even though it soon after Duke being put down.

We like to think that Duke would want us (particularly my father) to have another dog in our life making us happy like he did for us. But honestly Duke is going to be tough act to follow. But we thought the same thing about our first dog Vengeance, and we still fell in love with Duke. It's weird but no pet you have in your life ever takes the place of any pet you had before it. They take up another whole other place of their own in your heart.

We all really like pit bull breeds, Duke was pit bull/boxer mix, and our dog before that (Vengeance) was a pure breed pit bull (he is the dog that got us loving the breed) So we are looking at a pit bull/Labrador mix.

Also Mike I am sorry to hear about your kitty Mid-Nite too. My thoughts go out to you.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Your welcome.

I wish you well on your future endeavor.