The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #21
Krang's Uncle
Foot Soldier

Game time is fast approaching. Any last thought or comments?

Im getting shaky on my Colts over the Ravens pick. Im going to stick with it though. Colts have burned me too many times in the past, so im always second guessing myself when picking in the playoffs.
Krang's Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #22
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I now believe the Ravens will do it. The colts are gonna fold under pressure I think....though Peyton and Steve know one another's styles pretty well....ugh I hate Peyton...GO STEVE!!!!!!! I hate that Nashville screwed you over but we love ya here!!!! WIN!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #23
MadPirateBunny
Mad Scientist

I will continue to root for the Colts.

Note to self: Pillage first. THEN Burn.
MadPirateBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #24
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Those AFC matchups are pretty wild and could go either way. Should make for some good football this weekend....
Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #25
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Seahawks- Both of the teams aren't very good
Eagles-I hope the Saints win, but I feel the Eagles will continue to roll.
Ravens- A good D. Peyton will go home early again.
Patriots-My upset pick. I was thinking the Chargers would crush the Pats, but I'm going the other way. I think the Pats will get it done somehow. Just one of those "feelings".

Those are my picks. Can't wait, should be a great weekend of football.
Mr. Snackpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #26
Krang's Uncle
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
....ugh I hate Peyton...
Im not a fan of either Manning. Though i have a hard time deciding why that is. Is it because they are both overrated? Or is it because the media is the one that hypes them up? I think its combination of both. I dont like Peyton Manning because hes constantly on ESPN yet he doesnt live up to the expectations i think he should in order to warrant all the attention. Eli's bubble seems to have popped. Or maybe its the whole "sons of a former NFL player" that keeps me from rooting from them. Anybody willing to help me figure out why i cant stand the guy?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #27
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang's Uncle View Post
Im not a fan of either Manning. Though i have a hard time deciding why that is. Is it because they are both overrated? Or is it because the media is the one that hypes them up? I think its combination of both. I dont like Peyton Manning because hes constantly on ESPN yet he doesnt live up to the expectations i think he should in order to warrant all the attention. Eli's bubble seems to have popped. Or maybe its the whole "sons of a former NFL player" that keeps me from rooting from them. Anybody willing to help me figure out why i cant stand the guy?
My EXACT feelings.

For some reason I enjoy watching Peyton lose in the early in playoffs year after year, after year. I think it's because I feel he doesn't deserve all the praise he gets from the media. I don't like Eli either, but thats because he was a b*tch on draft day. He got what he wanted, going to NY and now he's struggling and I'm glad.

It may also be because he's the son of a former nfl player. But I'm not a 100%
sure why I hate him either. I was just thinking about this last weekend while I was rooting for the Chiefs.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #28
Krang's Uncle
Foot Soldier

Ah, good to see im not the only one that feels that way about him. Its hard to put a finger on what exactly it is, but i know its there when i see a Colts game on the television. I forgot about Eli's draft day antics, for that alone i root against him.

Being a Bears fan, i dont feel so bad now, it seems like everyone thinks the Patriots will beat the Chargers. The Bolts get no love because their coach has a reputation for stinking it up in the playoffs.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #29
MadPirateBunny
Mad Scientist

Katie! I just realized we're having our first disagreement. But I must say, I didn't think my Colts were going to pull it out. 5 field goals? Common Payton! Get your arm out your ass!

Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #30
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

I don't think the Colts will win next week...whether it's the Pats or Chargers.

But Patriots vs Colts would be an awesome AFC championship game.
jeff the cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #31
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

How can you all say that Peyton doesn't live up to the hype? He is a tremendous QB whose on pace to break most, if not all, important QB records out there. Year after year he puts up crazy numbers, hes a tremendous iron-man who never gets hurt and when he does, he plays through it. Often when the colts fail, its not due to his failure, but the failure of those around him and for many seasons, the defense. He's not perfect by any means, but hes still a phenonanal QB whether you like him or not. Other than maybe a handful of QBs, who would you rather have on your team? Granted he hasn't one the big one YET but that does that make him (and Marino for that matter) an overrated QB? Keep in mind that the AFC has been sooo strong these last few years yet he always leads them into the playoffs, oftentimes with a great record.

Now Eli on the other hand IS IN FACT OVER-RATED. He sux royally despite being in a conference that wallows in mediorcity. I hate the way he plays and esp. the way hes always looks like hes about to cry. And I actully like the giants.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #32
MadPirateBunny
Mad Scientist

DOn't get me wrong. Peyton is the man. Especially since he's leading my colts. But 5 fieldgoals? Not one TD? Something was going on...

Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #33
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

The media is all over his jock 24/7. I get tired of hearing how awesome he is. Then when he plays, he's not that fantastic. He a good player, without a doubt. But the media hypes the **** outta him.

As for my picks, 0-3. I really thought the Eagles, Seahawks and Ravens would win. As for the Pats, I just like them. I'm not sure if they can beat SD but I really hope so. I'll probably end up 0-4, haha.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #34
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_wallace3 View Post
The media is all over his jock 24/7. I get tired of hearing how awesome he is. Then when he plays, he's not that fantastic. He a good player, without a doubt. But the media hypes the **** outta him.
Yea, I can appreciate that. The thing is though, players like him and Brady, etc. ARE so awesome so thats what they're gonna talk about.

And yea, all those field goals is pretty crazy. I would expect that out of the Ravens but not the Colts. And what a great win by the Bears today. Not pretty, but well done. And currently its 0-0 in the Pats game. I really hope the Chargers can pull it off....
Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #35
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

Hell yes the Pats won...and what a great game. But what was the deal with LT not shaking hands with anyone after the game? He was also trash talking which seems so not like him. I think someone came up to him to shake his hand and was still celebrating the win at the same time so he took it personally.

So NFC Championship: Saints at Bears

AFC Championship: Patriots at Colts

So my prediction is that the pats and saints will play in the superbowl. But these should be great games.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #36
Krang's Uncle
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTerminator View Post
How can you all say that Peyton doesn't live up to the hype? He is a tremendous QB whose on pace to break most, if not all, important QB records out there. Year after year he puts up crazy numbers, hes a tremendous iron-man who never gets hurt and when he does, he plays through it. Often when the colts fail, its not due to his failure, but the failure of those around him and for many seasons, the defense. He's not perfect by any means, but hes still a phenonanal QB whether you like him or not. Other than maybe a handful of QBs, who would you rather have on your team? Granted he hasn't one the big one YET but that does that make him (and Marino for that matter) an overrated QB? Keep in mind that the AFC has been sooo strong these last few years yet he always leads them into the playoffs, oftentimes with a great record.

Now Eli on the other hand IS IN FACT OVER-RATED. He sux royally despite being in a conference that wallows in mediorcity. I hate the way he plays and esp. the way hes always looks like hes about to cry. And I actully like the giants.
Records are good and all, but the great players are remembered by championships. Take Marino for instance, he will always have that "but" after his accomplishments are mentioned. Peyton still has a couple of years left in him, so he has the opportunity to work on that. But as it stands hes in the same boat. Brady, a quarterback that came in with much less hype to him, has exceeded him. An argument about numbers doesnt hold up against championship rings.

I was 2 (Bears and Colts) out of four in playoff games this week. The Eagles just couldnt stop McAllister, it was like an SUV on a road with a bunch of squirrels. And the Chargers disappointed me. Darn, Martys post season history once again comes in to bite him in the butt. But the good news for me is that the Bears won, even if it was a lot closer than i wanted it to be. Theyve got their work cut out for them next week. I think they have better players than the Saints, but their run defense is going down the drain.

Jeff the cheff, im not trying to defend Tomlinson, but maybe he didnt shake hands because he was upset with losing. Especially considering how he ran over the Pats defense and his team let the game slip away. Hes got to be disappointed. No excuse for bad sportsmanship though. He ought to voice his frustrations with his teammates, some of them made stupid decisions like the guy that headbutted a Pat and gave the ball back to the Patriots.

Im picking the Bears over the Saints, but im going to have to sleep on the Colts vs Patriots game. I'll post back with what i decide and why when i do within the next day or two.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #37
Mr. Snackpants
Keep cool my babies!

Saints vs. Pats in the Superbowl.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #38
jeff the cheff
Mad Scientist

I was just watching sportscenter, and there was an interview with LT about why he has upset after the game. Apparantly, one of the Pat's players did a celebration dance that a Charger's player is known for, and he thought it was disrespectful. He said they have "no class"
Old 01-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #39
Brian
Foot Soldier

Wasn't the player doing Shawne Merriman's celebration?

Shows how much I know, I only picked 2 winners this week, the Bears and the Saints.

NFC Title Game - Bears vs Saints: This should be a good one and I hope the Saints pull this one out.

AFC Title Game - Colts vs Patriots: Another one I hope will be good, but I'll for Tom Brady and crew.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #40
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krang's Uncle View Post
Records are good and all, but the great players are remembered by championships.
So Marino is not one of the greatest QBs ever? IMO thats insane becuase one player does not win championships. It takes a team. So I guess by that logic Bill Cartwright is one of the greatest basketball players of all time becuase he was on the Bulls team that won 3 consecutive championships in 91, 92, and 93? Or Will purdue who won 3 with the Bulls as well and then another won with the Spurs. I mean, thats 4 Championship rings; he must be one of the greatest ever. There are tons more of these types of examples.

Championships are teriffic, don't get me wrong. Their what every player strives for and every fan hopes for. That said, they are not the end all be all.