The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #261
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, it's great but they needed at least one final pass at the script.

I ultimately feel that Bill & Ted themselves were entirely too passive and secondary to their own story, and I'd tweak just a couple of very small moments to make them more proactive and so forth, but as a whole it's as good or better than we had any reason to expect and that makes me very happy. I'd move a few parts around and add a few more scenes that would have tied certain things together better, but ultimately I wouldn't change much.

I'm very glad that "Bill & Ted's kids don't like them because they're losers" was dropped at some point, because that WAS originally the plan and it would've ruined the entire thing. I don't know who smacked the writers and smartened them up but I'm glad they did! The kids' enthusiasm and basically being the only ones who believe in Bill & Ted is pretty much what saves the movie, or at least elevates it. If the kids hated them, then they're just a couple of old sad sacks and the movie would've been lousy. VERY glad they came to their senses. Movie would've lacked heart otherwise. As is, it has heart in spades.

Just goes to show you what kind of a delicate balancing act these projects can be.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #262
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Spoiler:

It was kind of a weird mixture between funny, weird, and sad that Bill and Ted are so joined at the hip they have trouble saying 'I' without including the other.
Spoiler:
And then they start saying "I" at the very end.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I liked how all the stuff we saw at the end of Bogus Journey actually happened (all the newspaper clippings and such), I thought we were gonna disregard all that, but all of it happened
No, SOME of it happened, most/a lot of it did not or could not. Like the stuff about concerts on the Moon. Or about touring the Middle East and bringing about peace. I'm pretty sure Ted's dad wouldn't still call him a loser if Ted actually brought peace to the Middle East.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I agree the ending just ended. "And that's how the story ended" out of nowhere. While the after credit scene ended, idk, I would have liked to have seen a little more of Bill and Ted hugging their wives and kids or something.
I was stunned. Like, literally shouting at the screen, "WHAT? That's it? That's how you're going to end it??"

It didn't even need to be much. It just can't be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656
$25 million is like, $25 in "movie money" so we're frankly lucky we got half as much as what we did. It's still a shame, though. The only thing that holds it back at all is obvious studio limitations. "We're only giving you this much money because we're sure nobody wants this movie. And you have to make certain concessions as we demand, because again, nobody wants this movie so this whole thing is a gift." It's a shame, it IS very good but it would've been even better if the people holding the purse strings actually believed in the project.

Y'know what I'm kind of disappointed in, is that yet again Joanna and Elizabeth barely get to do anything. I mean we SEE their Future Selves at a distance but they never actually do anything on-camera despite their subplot with Present Day Joanna and Elizabeth being sort of important.
In other words... completely consistent with their size of roles in the first two movies.

I was a little disappointed, though, that it didn't seem like they were "really" a part of the band anymore. Yeah, you see them playing instruments at the end... but there seems to have been some disconnect on that.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-30-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #263
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I do hope it ends here, I know money talks and all... but I mean, this is literally it. The finale they've been building up to since the first movie.

Like even if they want to do a spin off with Bille and Thea, there's no real reason to. They have no real reason to just go on wacky adventures 'just because'. It's too late in the game to suddenly make up yet another big whatever, especially since the last 3 movies dealt with the same one.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:38 PM   #264
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, they could easily make "Billie & Thea's Radical Expedition," or whatever, but I don't think that was ever really in the cards. Like, them and their dads made the magic song, done deal. I guess just villains appear who don't like that and try to monkey with time to undo it or something? Lame.

If it was me, maybe I'd take a look at "Billie & Thea's Excellent Adventures"... on TV. Anywhere but CW. Just their daily life and drama, with the occasional time travel to solve problems. But ONLY if Keanu and Alex have ongoing, if small roles in it.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #265
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In other words... completely consistent with their size of roles in the first two movies.

I was a little disappointed, though, that it didn't seem like they were "really" a part of the band anymore. Yeah, you see them playing instruments at the end... but there seems to have been some disconnect on that.
Yeah it was. But since this is supposedly "the last one" I was hoping for maybe a LITTLE bit more. I'd read about their side plot about going around through the futures with their own Future Selves and I was really hoping to SEE some of it, not just be told two or three times that that's what's also happening. ONE scene of Jo and Liz with Future Jo and Future Liz, that's all I'd ask for and I'd be satisfied. Just that, just like 5 or 6 minutes of that. I liked the little bit we saw of them enough to want more. Even Rufus's kid had more to do, and a lot more screentime, and that seems wrong to me.

Joanna and Elizabeth DID have a nice little arc for themselves, BUT, since it was all "Told and Not Seen", it didn't feel as important as it could have. "We saw all those bad futures but decided we're happy with you Here and Now." Alright, that's perfectly fine, I was very pleased with that... but we didn't get to SEE their journey even a little bit and it wouldn't have taken much to do so. I guess when "I wanted to see more" of something is the worst you can say, that's a good "problem" to have, but still. Their plotline felt like a throwaway. Which is a shame because I liked them and I like where it ended up.

And yeah, them not "really" being in the band anymore felt flat. I kinda feel like they either didn't have the money to shoot more scenes for them, OR they just spent their wad writing all the "good material" for the daughters and didn't have much left for Jo and Liz to do.

Quote:
Yeah, they could easily make "Billie & Thea's Radical Expedition," or whatever, but I don't think that was ever really in the cards. Like, them and their dads made the magic song, done deal. I guess just villains appear who don't like that and try to monkey with time to undo it or something? Lame.

If it was me, maybe I'd take a look at "Billie & Thea's Excellent Adventures"... on TV. Anywhere but CW. Just their daily life and drama, with the occasional time travel to solve problems. But ONLY if Keanu and Alex have ongoing, if small roles in it.
As predicted, just this morning I saw articles popping up about the inevitable Billie and Thea spin-off project, since this movie apparently got a pretty good reaction overall.

Given the way projects get announced and then quietly shelved constantly nowadays, we'll see what ever comes of it, if anything. But I did say, we can expect them to say something about it very soon and apparently that was prophetic.

I mean, it can't be a surprise. They do all the work and end up saving the day in the end. They get the First Word and the Last Word in the movie (if you don't count the post-credits scene). This movie was 50% about wrapping up the Bill & Ted story, and 50% setting up the female-led spin-off which every franchise needs nowadays. It pulls off the juggling act better than most any other movie to try it, but you can totally see what's going on if you actually pay attention.

It'll be something about Billie & Thea in the Bill & Ted roles, Kelly as Rufus, and the robot as their bumbling sidekick as they travel through time and other parts of the universe in the pod-looking thing. "Saving the universe stopped existence from collapsing, but doing it so much later than it was supposed to happen meant there were consequences, and Billie & Thea have to go around fixing things and trying to repair the fabric of reality and the space-time continuum." Something like that, I bet. You can bet your money right now that they'll say something along those lines soon enough.

Now, will it ever get made? That's an entirely different conversation and I can't see that far ahead. I just know what they're gonna SAY they're gonna do. It's pretty well clear and obvious.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #266
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
True, but that was already done with Bogus Journey. So without the risk of repeating that, no, their story is done.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 08-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #267
Leo656
The Franchise

You sorely underestimate Hollywood's need for the flailing attempt to pander to the female demographic. They see money, they're gonna at least try.

I kinda don't think it'll actually get made, personally, but they'd be very stupid not to at least announce it just to see if people actually want it or not. I'm seeing many people say that Billie & Thea were their very favorite part of the movie. MANY people. You can bet that the studio pays close attention to things like that.

Again, whether or not it actually happens, they're pretty much assured to announce the spin-off soon. After that, we'll see.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:52 AM   #268
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, it's great but they needed at least one final pass at the script.

I ultimately feel that Bill & Ted themselves were entirely too passive and secondary to their own story, and I'd tweak just a couple of very small moments to make them more proactive and so forth, but as a whole it's as good or better than we had any reason to expect and that makes me very happy. I'd move a few parts around and add a few more scenes that would have tied certain things together better, but ultimately I wouldn't change much.
Agreed. the whole 'we're your backup' should never have happened. Bill and Tedd should have realized what the kids where TRYING to do and expanded on that, making it work. and it would have been ten times better. rather than looking at the crushed drive and thinking it was the kids that the future guys where talking about. that would have sucked even if the kids where guys.

I would have added a scene with denomolos and billy the kid popping up in san d together and wondering how they got there. literally tying the two movies together. I would have dropped the evil robot plot line. Maybe just have the future leader pop in, kill them, and find out it didn't work and realize she made a horrible mistake. maybe erasing herself in the process as time un ravled.

I agree the script needed another pass. but minor things.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #269
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

According to Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson the story ends with Face The Music

Is there a fourth installment in your minds, at all? Do you have possible ideas for another film? Is that something you?d even want to do, or is this the end of their story?

MATHESON: It?s certainly the end of mine and Ed?s story, I think.

SOLOMON: I think their story is complete. It would be hard for me to imagine. It would be weird because, at the end of this one, they actually have pulled it off, so to go back to the well again and say, ?You know what? They still haven?t,? I wouldn?t like that. That would feel fake to me. It?s hard to know what the story would be. I wouldn?t do it. I think we have a beginning, a middle, and an end now. Three is good.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:33 PM   #270
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
According to Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson the story ends with Face The Music

Is there a fourth installment in your minds, at all? Do you have possible ideas for another film? Is that something you?d even want to do, or is this the end of their story?

MATHESON: It?s certainly the end of mine and Ed?s story, I think.

SOLOMON: I think their story is complete. It would be hard for me to imagine. It would be weird because, at the end of this one, they actually have pulled it off, so to go back to the well again and say, ?You know what? They still haven?t,? I wouldn?t like that. That would feel fake to me. It?s hard to know what the story would be. I wouldn?t do it. I think we have a beginning, a middle, and an end now. Three is good.
Yeah, plus the way they did it. I won't spoil how they did it, but if doing what they did didn't bring the world and all reality into harmony.... nothing will. Like, you can't top that. Might as well say the prophecy was fake all along but then that ruins the point of all the movies.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #271
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The weird thing is the more I think about it... the more the movie's plot relies on a plot hole.

Spoiler:
They HAVE to have the song ready by that day or else... there is no later. So how can Bill and Ted go into the future beyond that to meet loser versions of themselves that have somehow failed to have written the song and yet somehow survive the collapse of all reality? Like did reality collapse, then rewrite itself, then somehow keep Bill and Ted alive to live with their failures and wives leaving them and daughters hating them and all that? Like... obviously their bigger concern was that they lose their wives and they had no time to waste standing around, but you think they would ask 'wait... you guys don't have the song.... why are you still here? What happened to reality wiping itself out?"

Old 09-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #272
Vegita-San
Emperor

I think they go with the plot device of 'that clock, the one in san dimas, is ALWAYS RIGHT'. so, technically, 7:17 didn't happen yet to erase everything.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #273
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I think they go with the plot device of 'that clock, the one in san dimas, is ALWAYS RIGHT'. so, technically, 7:17 didn't happen yet to erase everything.
Ahhh good point.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #274
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

I mean, it can't be a surprise. They do all the work and end up saving the day in the end. They get the First Word and the Last Word in the movie (if you don't count the post-credits scene). This movie was 50% about wrapping up the Bill & Ted story, and 50% setting up the female-led spin-off which every franchise needs nowadays. It pulls off the juggling act better than most any other movie to try it, but you can totally see what's going on if you actually pay attention.

It'll be something about Billie & Thea in the Bill & Ted roles, Kelly as Rufus, and the robot as their bumbling sidekick as they travel through time and other parts of the universe in the pod-looking thing. "Saving the universe stopped existence from collapsing, but doing it so much later than it was supposed to happen meant there were consequences, and Billie & Thea have to go around fixing things and trying to repair the fabric of reality and the space-time continuum." Something like that, I bet. You can bet your money right now that they'll say something along those lines soon enough.

Now, will it ever get made? That's an entirely different conversation and I can't see that far ahead. I just know what they're gonna SAY they're gonna do. It's pretty well clear and obvious.
Only reason I wouldn't like it is because we'd all demand one final Bill and Ted cameo somewhere or else the movie wouldn't feel complete... And we were all so lucky we already got them together THIS time that it would be too much to ask for them to do it again.

I guess you can say this will happen once the girls have moved out. I hope they at least explain Bill and Ted are out on a world tour or whatever and not 'they're too old now'.

You know what... I'd welcome a girl's movie if only 3 things happen.

1- somehow the girls with Kelly all bare witness to the Circle K scene. Maybe they'll have time to do that and it would kinda tie the movie together to feel more like a 4th movie and not a spin off. Plus to see all 3 daughters see all 3 of their dads meeting up. End the scene with all 3 commenting on how cool they are.

2- maybe have the climax happen at the wyld stallionz world tour so Bill and Ted do have some involvement. Maybe have the girls doubt themselves and have them give them words of encouragement.

3- keep the girl power out of it. Face the Music had these girls only care about helping their father's they idolize so much, the whole 'lets show em girls can do it better' was never a factor. With so many movies and shows having kids hate their fathers, it was refreshing to see these girls love em. Even at the end where the girls could have potentially been mad at their dads, they were instead sad that they couldn't help out more. That was awesome.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #275
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I just bought off the Face The Music soundtrack

That Which Binds Us Through Time: The Chemical, Physical And Biological Nature Of Love; An Exploration Of The Meaning Of Meaning, Part 1 by Wyld Stallions cause i need some Wyld Stallions in my life

I also bought Face The Music since that song united the world.

I bought Break Away and In Time from the Excellent Adventure Soundtrack and I already have do you want to play by Extreme.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:49 PM   #276
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

One other thing I'll say, after seeing it a couple of times now. The robot assassin doesn't... quite work for me. Either as a sideplot or as a character. I'm not really sure what they were going for. Like "Station" in Bogus Journey, it's just kind of an oddity.

It's not super annoying or anything. It's just... meh. Might have been better just to remove it entirely. Have everyone get to Hell differently. In fact, why even Hell again at all? Death doesn't live in Hell.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-02-2020 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #277
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Bill & Ted 3
@BillandTed3
Bill and Ted are ready...are you!? It’s time to save the world, dudes!
Own Bill & Ted #FaceTheMusic on Digital 10/20 & Blu-ray 11/10 Raising hands #BillandTed3
Old 12-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #278
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Ever wonder what happened between Bogus Journey and Face the Music?

There is a 4 issue mini series called Bill and Ted are Doomed that fills in the gaps. I just got issue one today

Ed Solomon worked on it too
Old 12-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #279
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
One other thing I'll say, after seeing it a couple of times now. The robot assassin doesn't... quite work for me. Either as a sideplot or as a character. I'm not really sure what they were going for. Like "Station" in Bogus Journey, it's just kind of an oddity.

It's not super annoying or anything. It's just... meh. Might have been better just to remove it entirely. Have everyone get to Hell differently. In fact, why even Hell again at all? Death doesn't live in Hell.
He didn't before, but supposedly he got demoted to over seeing just hell. I never understood that part of it either, along with the robot assasin. It would have been funnier if they found a phone booth like device for the afterlife rather than time travel. and a bit more original than re hashing the second movie as well as the first.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #280
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I read Issue 1 of the doomed comics. which takes place after Bogus Journey but before Face the Music

Station and Robot Bill and Ted and Death live with Bill Ted the Princesses Thea and Billie. Wlyd Stallions isn't what they used to be so Bill and Ted have an idea to go on a world tour to places that have never heard about Wyld Stallions.Death still wants to do his 40 minute solo even though everyone said no.

Also in the future the most important people call Rufus back because of more issues with time and they upgrade there time stuff to include all of time and space to find the anomaly.

Tags
bill & cuck, sjws face the music