The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you rich?
Yes I am very rich 1 5.56%
I am not rich but pretty well off 7 38.89%
I make average income 6 33.33%
No I am dirt poor 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #21
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So Cubed tell us more about the not paying for things....
I can't tell if this is another high context liberal troll thread so as to allow for the "when you don't pay for things" comment which is meant to rattle right nuts who will go on about welfare or something.

Idunno.

Either way there's nothing wrong with making average income and being a smooth saver. I think that's cool.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's not that hard to save money, and for those of us who don't have kids or a family to support, it's even easier. Obviously I'm aware people with 2+ kids or whatever have to spend more, but since I don't have a family of my own I don't have to do so...at least now yet anyway.

- My phone bill is only $31 a month, so I save a lot with a cheap phone bill, and I am still on the iphone 6. It works fine so there's no need to upgrade.

- I no longer buy blu-rays or DVDs (but I'd make an exception for something like TMNT, which is why I still want 4kids and Nick DVD/blu-ray boxsets). I do not have any online subscriptions to netflix, Disney+, hulu, or whatever

- Outside of TMNT, I do not buy comic books, and now I basically wait for trades for IDW especially.

- I've retired from buying action figures. I still have all my old TMNT toys in great condition from the last two decades, but I stopped buying toys around 2012 or so. You'll be amazed how much money you save when you stop buying action figures!

- I of course still buy videogames and it's my most expensive hobby, but I never buy games full-price and wait till they're $30-40 or so...I can't remember the last time I paid $59.99+ for a game

- For clothes I don't buy new clothes too often, I have clothes I still wore back in High School that still fit me to this day. I am not a massive clothing person, I buy a few new pairs of shirts/dress-shirts or jeans every year or so but do not go overboard.

And besides that there's just the usual food/expenses/travel fair, etc...but you have no choice there. Luckily I get discounts on almost all of this, and I eat the bare minimum for lunch every day (when I was at the job, I'm working at home now so I save even more money)

I don't make a lot of money at the job hence "average income," whatever that means. But I save money constantly. I am a penny-pincher. I am "El Cheapo," I don't spend money unless I absolutely have to. My money stays in the bank.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #23
nylemon

Consider being in a total different country and due to the currency, poll is not suit for me I think.

But the thing about not paying money, I can share something.

In China, between in 2000s and early 2010s, you can have most illegal copy on the Internet: movies, games, TV shows, scanned comics and mangas etc... And TV channels import official rights on airing England Premier League, NBA etc... They are all free. And people are fine with that. At that time though I am so obsess with American pop culture and some Japanese stuff and I was so despise those who "steal" on pirate things and they are not feel shame of it. I was like some friar to seek legal things as hard as possible. (I was an angry teenage and I was deluded somehow)

Nowadays, the whole environment changed. Because of the popularity of legal online platform Steam, game consoles (PS4 XBox and Nintendo) Marvel Moives having big hits, etc... in China. The incoming Fan base cultures just have their big blow ups. And sports also are bought by Internet Giants and they are paid too. The younger generations and some elders grouped a very huge base of legal rights community. They boycotted and make arguments on some very big websites who provides high quality localized(translate to Chinese) games but still illegal games.(They are not imported, can only buy from HongKong region or others). So nowadays it is very hard to find illegal downloads in pure Chinese language sites.

After beating by real lift somehow, I have a smooth attitude towards the not paying things. I am now someone who I once despised before for not paying things if it can. I sold a lot of collections back in time I thought I would keep them forever.

For a guy collecting $200,000, if you move to China, you can have a very smooth life here. For jobs, being a teacher in teaching English is a decent money job, and most Chinese have a fantasy imagation on golden hair and blue eyes, especially for the older people. But you are not the one who seek material needs though.

Last edited by nylemon; 11-10-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #24
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's not that hard to save money, and for those of us who don't have kids or a family to support, it's even easier. Obviously I'm aware people with 2+ kids or whatever have to spend more, but since I don't have a family of my own I don't have to do so...at least now yet anyway.

- My phone bill is only $31 a month, so I save a lot with a cheap phone bill, and I am still on the iphone 6. It works fine so there's no need to upgrade.

- I no longer buy blu-rays or DVDs (but I'd make an exception for something like TMNT, which is why I still want 4kids and Nick DVD/blu-ray boxsets). I do not have any online subscriptions to netflix, Disney+, hulu, or whatever

- Outside of TMNT, I do not buy comic books, and now I basically wait for trades for IDW especially.

- I've retired from buying action figures. I still have all my old TMNT toys in great condition from the last two decades, but I stopped buying toys around 2012 or so. You'll be amazed how much money you save when you stop buying action figures!

- I of course still buy videogames and it's my most expensive hobby, but I never buy games full-price and wait till they're $30-40 or so...I can't remember the last time I paid $59.99+ for a game

- For clothes I don't buy new clothes too often, I have clothes I still wore back in High School that still fit me to this day. I am not a massive clothing person, I buy a few new pairs of shirts/dress-shirts or jeans every year or so but do not go overboard.

And besides that there's just the usual food/expenses/travel fair, etc...but you have no choice there. Luckily I get discounts on almost all of this, and I eat the bare minimum for lunch every day (when I was at the job, I'm working at home now so I save even more money)

I don't make a lot of money at the job hence "average income," whatever that means. But I save money constantly. I am a penny-pincher. I am "El Cheapo," I don't spend money unless I absolutely have to. My money stays in the bank.
You mentioned you had some stocks that you bought? Do you mean like 401k investments or do you mean real daily, taxed market involvement through Charles Schwab or Robinhood or something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylemon View Post
Consider being in a total different country and due to the currency, poll is not suit for me I think.

But the thing about not paying money, I can share something.

In China, between in 2000s and early 2010s, you can have most illegal copy on the Internet: movies, games, TV shows, scanned comics and mangas etc... And TV channels import official rights on airing England Premier League, NBA etc... They are all free. And people are fine with that. At that time though I am so obsess with American pop culture and some Japanese stuff and I am so despise those who "steal" on pirate things and they a not feel shame of it. I was like some friar to seek legal things as hard as possible. (I was an angry teenage and I was deluded somehow)

Nowadays, the whole environment changed. Because of the popularity of legal online platform Steam, game consoles (PS4 XBox and Nintendo) Marvel Moives having big hits, etc... in China. The incoming Fan base cultures just have their big blow ups. The younger generations and some elders grouped a very huge base of legal rights community. They boycotted and make arguments on some very big websites who provides high quality localized(translate to Chinese) games but still illegal games.(They are not imported, can only by in HongKong region or others). So nowadays it is very hard to find illegal downloads in pure Chinese language sites.

After beating by real lift somehow, I have a smooth attitude towards the not paying things. I am now someone who I once despised before for not paying things if it can.
This was interesting to read. But commenting on it is difficult because your country censors so much. I do not know what the final product is that you see or hear, but honestly don't think you know either. The Avengers movie that you are shown in China could be a completely different, oddly cut and edited edition with Chinese inserted propaganda that doesn't appear anywhere else.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

My best advice to anyone if they want to save money is, "Don't ever get married."

That way you won't get suckered into a situation where they (and their family) milk you dry and leave you with nothing, all because you're stupid enough to have a kind heart and expect the situation to ever change just because they make a lot of empty promises.

If I never met my wife I'd probably have a goddamn million in the bank by now. My entire life would be better, truthfully. BUT, nobody wants to die alone, etc. etc. etc.

So people say, "I love you", and you believe them, and you do what they want because you have hope that they're sincere, because YOU'RE sincere, and then they bleed you dry.

You wanna have a lot of money? Don't ever get married. It's really that simple.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #26
nylemon

Quote:
This was interesting to read. But commenting on it is difficult because your country censors so much. I do not know what the final product is that you see or hear, but honestly don't think you know either. The Avengers movie that you are shown in China could be a completely different, oddly cut and edited edition with Chinese inserted propaganda that doesn't appear anywhere else.
It is not as terribly as you think. As long as you not making bad guys escape from punished and no nudity. I am not into Marvels so I never saw that but for things like this kind of movies there is no thing to sensor of.

In August a movie called Eight Hundred were put on screen and it's a movie about defense of Sihang Warehouse which is a campaign in Shanghai of fighting Japanese invaders during WWII in Sep, 1937. And the battle is fought by The National Revolutionary Army which is an army of Republic of China and it is ruled by the Party which finally retreated to Taiwan Island during civil war aka the Liberation War. And the heroes are protecting the National Flag of Republic of China(Which is the flag presenting the Taiwan Island regime now). It is a unbelievable thing back in the day but is public showed and earned a hit box office and make it top 10 in China Box Office history.

1 Wolf Warrior 2 5.68556 billion China 2017
2 Ne Zha 5.02951 billion China 2019
3 The Wandering Earth 4.68433 billion China 2019
4 Avengers: Endgame 4.25025 billion United States 2019
5 Operation Red Sea 3.65079 billion China, Hong Kong 2018
6 Detective Chinatown 2 3.39769 billion China 2018
7 The Mermaid 3.39211 billion China, Hong Kong 2016
8 My People, My Country 3.17137 billion China, Hong Kong 2019
9 Dying to Survive 3.09996 billion China 2018
10 The Eight Hundred 3.09534 billion China 2020

Besides, I use VPN I can see what ever I want. And a lot of people use it. In fact a lot of things are exaggerated by western media.

Last edited by nylemon; 11-09-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #27
nylemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
My best advice to anyone if they want to save money is, "Don't ever get married."

That way you won't get suckered into a situation where they (and their family) milk you dry and leave you with nothing, all because you're stupid enough to have a kind heart and expect the situation to ever change just because they make a lot of empty promises.

If I never met my wife I'd probably have a goddamn million in the bank by now. My entire life would be better, truthfully. BUT, nobody wants to die alone, etc. etc. etc.

So people say, "I love you", and you believe them, and you do what they want because you have hope that they're sincere, because YOU'RE sincere, and then they bleed you dry.

You wanna have a lot of money? Don't ever get married. It's really that simple.
In my country a lot of single spend a lot and married ones save as harder as possible. Different developing stages between two countries.

If you have a million dollars here, you definitely have a decent lift here!

Last edited by nylemon; 11-09-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

Do their wives hit them and threaten to call the cops and file a false report?

"Asking for a friend".

Old 11-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
- My phone bill is only $31 a month, so I save a lot with a cheap phone bill, and I a
What does a hermit like you even need with a phone?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

The stocks I inherited from my grandmother, she bought them like 15 years ago. \
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
What does a hermit like you even need with a phone?
Well when I had it when I went out of the house to my job, I mostly used it to surf the internet and post on forums like this one.

Also I've never owned a watch. I use my cell phone to see the time, so I saved myself buying a $500 watch too. I don't wear any jewelry for that matter, like necklace or rings or whatever.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

What kind of asshole wears a $500 watch. You can buy a watch for $10 that tells the exact same time.

I think if you shoot a person wearing a $500 watch directly in the face, absolutely nothing of value is lost.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

When I was growing up all the rich people wore expensive watches. That's how you knew who had money. Also keep in mind this is before cell phones became mainstream so of course you needed some way to tell the time. Nowadays with the time right on your phone it basically made wearing a watch obsolete.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #33
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Well when I had it when I went out of the house to my job, I mostly used it to surf the internet and post on forums like this one.
Fair enough.

I just use mine to play a mobile game and for a morning alarm. Now that I work from home, I don't even text my wife anymore.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Cylon don't you have like 3 kids if I remember right? I can't imagine how much money you have to spend to take care of them all properly and then spoil them with toys/gifts.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #35
nylemon

Quote:
Do their wives hit them and threaten to call the cops and file a false report?

"Asking for a friend".
If you ask me, it sounds like some hilarious episodes from South Park. It is more because it's expensive to raise a child. And Chinese more like to buy house instead of renting. Most of them buy new house for good schools for children.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Cylon don't you have like 3 kids if I remember right? I can't imagine how much money you have to spend to take care of them all properly and then spoil them with toys/gifts.
3 or 4, I can't usually be bothered to keep count. One of them might be the neighbor's kid. No redheads, so they could be mine.

It's actually not terrible, with the right job, right benefits, right choices. Not saying I make right choices (I'm active on the 'Drome, after fvcking all), but we make it work and have enough cash left for me to waste on dumb $hit.

Really, once the meth business takes off, I think I'll be sitting pretty.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylemon View Post
If you ask me, it sounds like some hilarious episodes from South Park. It is more because it's expensive to raise a child. And Chinese more like to buy house instead of renting. Most of them buy new house for good schools for children.
It is very much not hilarious to be a victim of long-term domestic abuse and have no realistic way of getting out of the situation aside from sleeping in a parking lot, no. It is very much the opposite of hilarious when people punch and choke you and can get away with it because they're women and can always just lie and say you did it to them instead. It is very much not at all funny to have someone choke you, and tell you that if you call the police, they will have you arrested instead. And that if you try to leave, they'll call have you picked up out of spite before you're a block away. None of those things are funny. Not even a little bit.

I'm quite sorry if I somehow gave you that impression, that was not in any way my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
3 or 4, I can't usually be bothered to keep count. One of them might be the neighbor's kid. No redheads, so they could be mine.

It's actually not terrible, with the right job, right benefits, right choices. Not saying I make right choices (I'm active on the 'Drome, after fvcking all), but we make it work and have enough cash left for me to waste on dumb $hit.

Really, once the meth business takes off, I think I'll be sitting pretty.
See, now THAT is funny. This guy is funny.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #38
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
When I was growing up all the rich people wore expensive watches. That's how you knew who had money. Also keep in mind this is before cell phones became mainstream so of course you needed some way to tell the time. Nowadays with the time right on your phone it basically made wearing a watch obsolete.
$500 isn't an "expensive watch". Smart watches go for that match (albeit the pricier ones) and you can see any basic bitch with an Apple Watch. Ballers go with Rolexes and Tag Heurs and such, which are way more.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:35 PM   #39
nylemon

Quote:
It is very much not hilarious to be a victim of long-term domestic abuse and have no realistic way of getting out of the situation aside from sleeping in a parking lot, no. It is very much the opposite of hilarious when people punch and choke you and can get away with it because they're women and can always just lie and say you did it to them instead. It is very much not at all funny to have someone choke you, and tell you that if you call the police, they will have you arrested instead. And that if you try to leave, they'll call have you picked up out of spite before you're a block away. None of those things are funny. Not even a little bit.

I'm quite sorry if I somehow gave you that impression, that was not in any way my intention.

See, now THAT is funny. This guy is funny.
Well if I understand right, do you say that most Chinese families suffer family violent and woman beat man. If you think so then that is definitely not true. It's crazy you think that way and there is a deep misunderstanding here.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #40
nylemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
$500 isn't an "expensive watch". Smart watches go for that match (albeit the pricier ones) and you can see any basic bitch with an Apple Watch. Ballers go with Rolexes and Tag Heurs and such, which are way more.
Swiss watches are like $5000 and even more. I had one and never wear it. I wear apple watch to calculate my exercise time. American are more realistic which I admire and in my country especially elders are more chase in to western luxury things that just for showing off.