The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #61
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I loved it for the foundational writing and comedy of the whole thing. And the stylistic elements that it got right, it got really right. And the stuff that was funny was pretty damn funny.

But on the other hand I hated, absolutely hated SO many of the mutant designs. The show has an overall "gross monster" tone that I felt took too much from the Playmates style toys instead of the cleaner designs of the Fred Wolf cartoon. Fred Wolf felt like "Mutants". Nicktoons felt like "monsters".

It wasn't a perfect show, but in general it had a baseline that usually hit at "entertaining" at the bare minimum.
Yeah, it was kinda weird how every mutant was some sort of deformed monstrosity and yet the turtles and splinter turned out alright. If the turtles followed the logic of the other mutants they'd probably have sharp beaks, extra shells growing on their knuckles and other weird nonsense.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #62
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah, it was kinda weird how every mutant was some sort of deformed monstrosity and yet the turtles and splinter turned out alright. If the turtles followed the logic of the other mutants they'd probably have sharp beaks, extra shells growing on their knuckles and other weird nonsense.
There's a few reasons for this that I think seem somewhat plausible:

1. The show always wanted emphasize horror when they could. Combined with a desire for a more "realistic" (as it were) batch of mutants, this led to mutant designs that were often grotesque and deformed, sort of how a mutant created in this manner would probably look anyways

2. The turtles and Splinter are already much more established characters. Therefore, they can't play around with their designs too much (or at least they shouldn't, Rise), and so their much more tame and uniform designs are grandfathered in, while many other mutants look more "realistic."

3. Since they are the heroes, they need to be more appealing for audiences to root for. It's just a basic principle in design; heroes are good looking, villains are ugly. It's also probably somewhat easier to animate, but that issue may be mitigated due to the fact that it's a CGI show; you only have to make the assests once.

Overall, it's not really a thing I noticed all that much or thought about. It's kind of one of those things I feel like you only really notice after the show is over. I think it's just one of those coconut things.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #63
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Think they also wanted to make the Mutagen's effects more "unpredictable," hence why Mutants like Splinter, the Turtles, Fishface, Mondo, and Leatherhead are pretty traditional "big animal-people without many bells and whistles" while Mutants like Pigeon Pete, Kirby Bat, Slash, Rahzar, and so on have all these extra veins and spikes and such or exaggerated features. Leaning more into why you probably shouldn't chance messing with this glowing blue alien chemical. (Case in point: Timothy.)
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:24 PM   #64
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Also if I recall, the Ciro deal was around the time of Baxter's first episode in the 2012 show. Cubed in particular didn't like the portrayal and kept acting like Ciro ****ed up or needed to re-do the episode and blah blah without understanding that this is how they they purposely wanted Baxter to be portrayed in this version. At that point of the series, Baxter was kind of the first character in a long list of many pre-existing characters that would get weird or different portrayals so it was too soon to realize that's how the show was going to be like. I believe Ciro defended his portrayal but Cubed wouldn't let it go and thus Ciro left the forum and well.... you get all the 'WAY TO GO CUBED' posts.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:46 AM   #65
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Lattie did a video commentary of the first issue on his Twitch on Friday night, starts at around the 49 minute mark of the video:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1713535712

The entire backstory regarding the "Flyin' Rooster 3" background gag was WAY more complex and developed than I was able to process upon a first reading!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:35 AM   #66
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The show does indeed have many serious problems, not nearly as many as The Next Mutation or the Fred Wolf show, but they are really evident. While I would say I'm in the "I like it for subjective reasons" camp, that wouldn't really be true because the glaring problems genuinely annoyed me. As far as I can tell, the main reasons people like it are these:
  1. There are hints of a much better show (that don't really amount to anything, interesting ideas are more often than not left abandoned).
  2. There are some attempts at serious drama (which are often undermined by how shallow they are or how little they matter).
  3. It fits into the rough pop culture perception of TMNT better than most of Nickelodeon's attempts (which was already not the best way TMNT could have been perceived by pop culture).
  4. It has a lot of old TMNT characters popping up (though in many cases barely recognisable and I wouldn't exactly say Muckman was a character anyone should have been interested in seeing the return of, who sadly was one of the most faithfully recreated characters...).
  5. Four pointless crossover episodes with the Fred Wolf cartoon (and I mean really, one wasn't enough?).
Yeah, these are mostly my issues with it. It has a lot of aspects that I like about it but there were a lot of things that I felt harmed it as well. It was a weird case of trying to be something unique while at the same time, trying too hard to cater to those that grew up with "this character" only to reinvent them completely (the Neutrinos). Also the characterizations of this show outside of Splinter bother me, particularly how braindead Mike is, how lovestruck Don was, Raph came off as a pansy at times, and how fans gawked at how Leo was obsessed over a Star Trek parody (which wasn't inherently awful but it bothers me when some use that as making Leo "interesting"). As an overall package, while enjoyable, it doesn't quite work. I would watch this over FW and Rise but this is one of those shows that I'd probably only go back to if I was bored.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 01-24-2023 at 03:42 AM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:14 AM   #67
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Also, I don't think Splinter ever dropped the "my sons" line in the show.
Actually I just found out that he did call Leonardo “my son” in the episode “Leonardo Lightens Up”.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:52 PM   #68
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Actually I just found out that he did call Leonardo “my son” in the episode “Leonardo Lightens Up”.
Good for him!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote