The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 07-28-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The Shredder Strikes- what the shell?

In the beginning of the ep, the tmnt were training with their weapons. Suddenly Leo jumps into the scene with his Katanas. Now what the hell happened here? Leo does some ...'slicing' that somehow knocks Mike, Don and Raph back, without even cutting them or their weapons or anything. Now what in the hell happened there? I know you can't show Leo cutting up his brothers, but why the hell did the show have him apparently slice and dice, and use that to send his brothers flying back. Did Leo borrow Kenshin's inversed blade or something?
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja

Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Have absolutely NO clue. I'll have to watch that ep again to see just what the heck you're TALKING about.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
Leonardo_the_sword_master
Stone Warrior

i know what he is taling about. well he could ahve hit there weapons but not hard enough to break them and thne knocked themback.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
heretic888
Foot Elite

It was a plot device, don't think too deeply into it.

You wouldn't likely see a scene like that in something like the comics.
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
heretic888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Its like in Monster Hunter where Leo had no sword when he was out in the barn but for a few seconds they showed him with Swords looking at Raph. The show has a few errors but thank god none are as bad as the old show. The old show had errors all over. Mis colored head bands and the one that urks me the most other characters have the others voice. In the very first episode Don has Raph's voice........
Old 07-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
J Legault
Mad Scientist

It's just a cartoon, leo does that "Slice & Dice" thing allot of times, he did to the Foot Ninjas, but you don't see any of them with cuts at all, since the show isn't suppose to be too gore like.

But some scenes contain some vilents, cartoon violents, but not real time violents.
I got into the habbit back in 1992 or 93' when I was little. I would like to thank my 2 year older cousin for getting me in the habbit. 2001 was when I revised my knowledge on TMNT. And today I'm a bigger fan than I was years ago. I have all 3 TMNT Movies, current Toon, and old school Toon on DVD.
J Legault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
heretic888
Foot Elite

No, it wasn't an "error". It was a plot device. Its extremely unlikely Leo would be able to take any one of them that easily in an one-on-one battle.

The whole POINT of Leo "beating" the four of them so easily was for him to learn a lesson during the episode (i.e., ego takes a backseat to what's important).
"Ninpo began as training to become a moral people and to learn to endure in whatever social condition one is in; to know and accept one's fate, and to live for human beings and all other creatures. The person who masters all of these is a Ninja." (Masaaki Hatsumi)
Old 07-28-2004, 02:08 PM   #8
Ryona

The series really should correct things like that by having Leonardo use bokkens (wooden swords) instead of his "real" swords when they train. Leo is really good but there is always the chance that an accident can happen and he could end up really injuring his brothers... or worse.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #9
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist

He could poke an eye out! I think master splinter trusts the turtles enough and he knows they know what they are doing. Training with each others weaopns, maybe I wouldnt give them the real thing!

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
rayfillet101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #10
heretic888
Foot Elite

Quote:
The series really should correct things like that by having Leonardo use bokkens (wooden swords) instead of his "real" swords when they train. Leo is really good but there is always the chance that an accident can happen and he could end up really injuring his brothers... or worse.
Well, realistically speaking.... NONE of them are good enough to take down the other three in a 4-second span. This was obviously nothing more than a hasty plot device intended to teach Leo a lesson later on.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #11
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Maybe Leo was using the blunt end of his katana. The opposite side of the sharp end.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #12
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Legault
It's just a cartoon, leo does that "Slice & Dice" thing allot of times, he did to the Foot Ninjas, but you don't see any of them with cuts at all, since the show isn't suppose to be too gore like.

But some scenes contain some vilents, cartoon violents, but not real time violents.
I think he was looking to have a thought-provoking discussion. I'm fairly sure he knows "it's just a cartoon".

Krow gave the response I was thinking of. Probably only one edge of his katana is sharp, while the other is blunt. He probably hit them with the blunt end really hard, which would give enogh force/pain to send them back. That's probably what he does whenever he's fighting Foot Soldiers and they just stumble back and go unconcious after he aparantly "slices" them. He just whacks them with the blunt edge of his katana in non-fatal locations that would render them unconcious.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:10 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

In part 2, Shredder did a very noticeable punch to Leo (or Mike, I forgot) with his blade hand, which is um... impossible to do without slicing the hell out of the turtles' face. Man,, such things like this can be avoided, especially sinde this version of the Shredder has one bladed hand.. they coulda drawn him doing that with the normal hand.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 PM   #14
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Perhaps Shredder had blunt-edged blades on that side. Those things ARE pretty thick. Maybe only the sharp ends are on the tips and the bottoms.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:44 PM   #15
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami
In part 2, Shredder did a very noticeable punch to Leo (or Mike, I forgot) with his blade hand, which is um... impossible to do without slicing the hell out of the turtles' face. Man,, such things like this can be avoided, especially sinde this version of the Shredder has one bladed hand.. they coulda drawn him doing that with the normal hand.
Well, before I go and look that up, do you remember what part of the body he punched? If it was the face it's possible they just rolled with the punch and only the lower portion of his knuckles managed to catch their flesh. But if it was something like their stomach then yeah, no way they'd get hit like that without being cut up.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:05 PM   #16
Ryona

Didn't Shredder hit him with the palm of his hand? I remember it being like that.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:17 PM   #17
Leonardo_the_sword_master
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo
Didn't Shredder hit him with the palm of his hand? I remember it being like that.
yes you are right if not, then that was in the other epasode when leo first meats the shredder.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 PM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

No. I know there was a scene with Shredder smacking a turtle repeatedly with his palms. But there was another scene where you just see a flying shredder 'clawed' fist hit the screen, and the turtle was sent flying, this was near the end where shredder was knocking them against some wall one by one until all 4 tmnt were down. they never showed exactly where the punch hit the guy, but you can't ignore those long ass claws.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:18 AM   #19
Ryona

Maybe Shredder hit the shell (Plastron or carapace). The TMNT's shells are very thick and strong.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #20
heretic888
Foot Elite

Quote:
Maybe Leo was using the blunt end of his katana. The opposite side of the sharp end.
No. It was just a plot device. Don't think too much into it.

Quote:
Krow gave the response I was thinking of. Probably only one edge of his katana is sharp, while the other is blunt. He probably hit them with the blunt end really hard, which would give enogh force/pain to send them back.
You've obviously never been hit with the flat side of a katana, then.

It hurts, but its not enough to knock you down without seriously damaging the blade. Katana blades were not intended to be blunt weapons (there are bokken and shinai for that), they are cutting and slicing weapons. Trying to "knockout" someone with a sword is about as logical as trying to pierce someone's skin with a chain.