The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Why was he replaced?

I hope this hasn't been asked already, but I didn't come across it anyplace. This is a question pertaining to the OT series.

I know how for the original series, that they had alternates that took over for the characters when the voice actors weren't available. The one I'm curious about is Rob Paulsen for Raph. I know of the alternate, but for the last season of the OT series, that wasn't an alternate, but just a whole other voice actor, so I don't consider Michael Gough to be n alternate. He wasn't bad, but I was wondering if anyone here knew why Rob couldn't voice Raphael for the final season of the series.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

while i dont no the answer to this i can guess. I think maybe hes contract ended?
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I hope this hasn't been asked already, but I didn't come across it anyplace. This is a question pertaining to the OT series.

I know how for the original series, that they had alternates that took over for the characters when the voice actors weren't available. The one I'm curious about is Rob Paulsen for Raph. I know of the alternate, but for the last season of the OT series, that wasn't an alternate, but just a whole other voice actor, so I don't consider Michael Gough to be n alternate. He wasn't bad, but I was wondering if anyone here knew why Rob couldn't voice Raphael for the final season of the series.
I read somewhere (forgot where it's from) that Rob left the show so he'd focus more on his role on The Mask the animated series.

We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I heard he was holding out for a raise...and was told that he could and would be replaced...*shrugs*

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I heard he was holding out for a raise...and was told that he could and would be replaced...*shrugs*
I thought you told us, onceuponatime, that he left so the other regulars could get raises.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

*shrugs* I dunna....I asked on Twitter, have yet to hear back. I'll give you the horse's mouth story when I do...if I do.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

From a Rob Paulsen interview posted on the late, great NinjaTurtlesNetwork.com:
Quote:
Q: What was your offical reason for leaving the show? And was your replacement voice(Who's name I can't think of at the moment), ever on the show before as Raph? I seem to remember him during the eps where the Turtles traveled to Europe, but I can't be sure.

Paulsen: When we were told of a 13 episode pick up for the final season, I suggested the possibility of a small raise for all the cast members, seeing as how we had done close to 200 eps without one. I was told by the producers, "You know Raphael is replaceable". So I said, "You know, you're right - thank you very much, it's been fun, good luck."
The replacement Raphael for the European eps was Hal Rayle. The last season Raphael was Michael Gough.
He may mention some more details about this on the Season 7 (Part 3?) DVD special feature.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Ahhh....So I was right! My Paulsen fan-ness remains intact.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
ssjup81
Foot Elite

So that's why. Well, at least he was replaced by someone decent sounding. Hal Rayle was just awful sounding. He sounded like he was trying too hard to be Rob's Raphael and failing miserably. You know, he sounded like he was doing a bad Groucho Marx impression to me. ^^;
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
gobo
Wacky Action

I liked Hal Rayle way better than Michael Gough. He was just boring. 'Course, I was always partial to Groucho impressions. *goes to find some Glassic pickles to munch on*

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 12:54 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I must watch the Red Sky eps again, I always thought Paulson still did those? But I have heard that he was replaced during those vacation episodes. I'll see those episodes someday.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 12:58 AM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
those vacation episodes. I'll see those episodes someday.
Take my advice: Cover your wrists and remove every object sharper than a rolling pin from your house. Trust me on this. If this is the ONLY advice of mine you ever take, that's fine, but for f*ck's sake listen.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:03 AM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Take my advice: Cover your wrists and remove every object sharper than a rolling pin from your house. Trust me on this. If this is the ONLY advice of mine you ever take, that's fine, but for f*ck's sake listen.
That bad huh?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 10-19-2022, 01:16 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Pure Dogsh*t.

I don't love the show like I did at 7. I admit a lot of it is bad, objectively. I think it's dumb when people try and claim that it wasn't; they're speaking from nostalgia, not sound reason. BUT. It has charm. It can be fun to watch one or two episodes of at a time. I disagree with people who say the show has no redeeming value at all.

But those European Vacation episodes are just the sh*ts. Legit, I can't do a full marathon of the show BECAUSE of those episodes. Like yeah, the whole entire show is a mixed bag and incredibly inconsistent. But that set of episodes was physically painful to endure and I just don't think I have it in me to even try again. You have to LOVE that f*cking show more than Jews love Chinese food to get through the European Vacation episodes.

I mean, do what you feel you must but for f*ck's sake call me before you snap and do something regrettable.

I can already see the Obituary. "Whateverthef*ckhisnameis passed away this weekend. As with so many others before him, tragically, those European Vacation episodes of Ninja Turtles were simply too much to overcome. In lieu of flowers, please send a donation in his name to the Watch Literally Anything Else Foundation."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:42 AM   #15
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I must watch the Red Sky eps again, I always thought Paulson still did those? But I have heard that he was replaced during those vacation episodes. I'll see those episodes someday.
Season 8 is pretty good and has Paulsen in top form.

Also...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 10-19-2022 at 06:59 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:48 AM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ron Paulsen only isn't in Season 10. He was in all of Seasons 8-9
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So he wasn't in the final season? Now I really gotta rewatch those.

Old 10-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
So he wasn't in the final season? Now I really gotta rewatch those.
The guy they replaced Rob Paulsen with sounds very similar to him. So it's probably why you don't remember.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I made a thread about this not much later though specifically about the European Vacation episode recordings.
https://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sh...ad.php?t=39223

One thing I don't understand is why they all had to record together. With technology even then actors I thought could record their lines separately. Obliviously it was done with Sam Riegel in the 2005 when he moved to the east coast and recorded his lines separately. Even if a decade and a half later I am sure it could have been accommodated.

I have read that Rob Paulsen was not happy that their pay was cut for the final season so he mutually walked away as he was already in the prime of his recording career by then. Come to think of it even Voice Lessons did not include the departure after season 9 nor his absence from the European Vacation episodes. I think we concluded he was overbooked with voice gigs and could not make it when it was recorded.

Hats off to Townsend and Cam for their perfect attendance!

So, was TMNT(1987) the only cartoon that used sub actors( not replacements) during its production? It's the only one I am familiar with enough to know that did. I get on Saban for milking everything they can and penny pinching when Power Rangers was on top of the mountain, well this is an example that TMNT at least Fred Wolf Productions was not too different.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:07 PM   #20
Antoniocafe
Thug

I actually just got done watching the Europe episodes recently. I think the guy who voiced Raph in those episodes actually sounded closer than the guy who voiced him in the final season.

Last edited by Antoniocafe; 03-24-2023 at 05:41 AM.
Antoniocafe is offline   Reply With Quote