The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-06-2021, 06:19 AM   #41
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I can't sign off on any of this. When's the last time you played it? I know, I know... 'pinions. I just... I cannot find a single redeeming thing about "Battle Nexus". It was, by far, one of the all-time worst and least-fun experiences I have EVER had in playing video games. If that game was the only game I owned, I'd start collecting stamps. It is so completely goddamn broken.

"Mutant Nightmare" was definitely the best overall of that trilogy, though. But the first one is way better than Battle Nexus. If it weren't for "Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six" for NES I think it would be the most hated game in my collection.

I'm sorry, I just can't find anything redeeming or even tolerable about it, and I'm completely baffled as to how anyone could actually enjoy it. I've had bouts of food poisoning that I'd rather revisit before I'd ever play that thing again.
Gimme a break comrade, I already know your hard time with the game.

But dunno, I kinda always liked it. I played it literally 5 days ago because I finished working early and I said: "Why not? I want to fool around abit with Traximus and Leatherhead."
As a single player experience it ain't nothing special, but in multiplayer I remember it being a very fun game!
Again, I'm not saying that is a masterpiece; I joke about it, but no, TMNT 2 Battle Nexus is FAR from being a masterpiece. It's just a fun little game.

The fact that you don't like it, but prefer the first and third game, is very likely because you are more used to the "arcade-y" type of TMNT game.
Battle Nexus, having platforming and other stuff, may be bad for some type of TMNT players because of that.
I always fought against people who said that it was a terrible game, just because is not. It has it flaws, but can't be considered complete trash. In fact, even those dumbheads at IGN changed like 2 years ago their vote from 5 to 6. Which, I might say, is perfect for the game.

Also, I still think that it might be the version you played that might be broken. I never heard any big complain from who played the Ps2 version.

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

I doubt it. All the problems like the platforming being terrible, the enemies taking more hits to kill than a tank and the fact that it's a "beat-'em-up" where 99% of the time your best strategy is to simply run away from enemies are still there from everything I've ever heard. It's a fundamentally broken game. My dislike of it comes simply from the fact that I've played a hundred platformers, and a hundred beat-'em-ups, and that I've rarely seen a game fail so much at either of those things as this one does.

I hated it the first time I played it, and I've hated every second of playing it every time I've ever gone back to it. I gave it more chances than it deserves, and I hate it.

I'm glad it's managed to somehow enrich your life in some way, so I guess its existence isn't altogether worthless. I'm just saying, you could explain it to me a hundred times and I confess that I just cannot understand it. There's certain things I just can't understand, and this is one of them. In a world where thousands of better games exist, and at least a handful of MUCH better TMNT games exist, if I live to be 200 I will never understand anyone willingly spending any of their time playing... this.

You can keep it, that's fine. I just don't understand it at all. I've looked, and I've tried, and I can't find one singular thing of value in it. ((Shrug))

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #43
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
Mmmmh, very likely the first 2003 game on PS2/Gamecube/Xbox.
It's just like Turtles in Time, but is as long as a Easter church morning (I remember being extremely long when I was a kid). Also, the VS mode is kind of messed up.

Battle Nexus had it's flaws but was a good solid game; and Mutant Nightmare was the best among all of them in my opinion.

I tried the Nes game recently and it's not bad either (except the controls; they are clumsy as hell).
Never played Tournament Fighters, so I can't say if they are bad or not, but I guess they are fine since they are very basic BeatEmUps.
Turtle's in Time and the majority of the arcade TMNT titles are ok. They definitely didn't age well, but they are not bad.

Omg, Battle Nexus had an insanely great ost. Thanks for noticing it comrade.
About the frustrating part: yes, it is kind of frustrating.
But just because some game mechanics are TERRIBLY explained.
Like, did you actually know that Michelangelo can DEFLECT arrows by guarding?

And don't get me started on my 10 years research on how to get S+ as rank. The game, for whatever reason, counts your Attack and Aerial on which combo you use (???), and the Defence rank is based on how much blows you parry (????????????).

But whatever it ain't that of a bad game tho. The boss fights are probably one of the reasons why I still play it to this very day!
I totally had forgotten about the ranks. Yes, I think the best I did was finish the game with a B or A rank?

Well, Konami had been making Turtles games for nearly 20 years by then. They knew how to make fitting music for a TMNT game.

Yes, I know Mike can block arrows.

Battle Nexus had good ideas on paper but was probably rushed. Konami done some good stuff in the mid-2000s. Battle Nexus probably wasn't where all their focus was at and they probably also had a tighter deadline.

Anyway, I had to get some cheats to beat some levels. Like the one underground where you gotta fight some monsters in the very first world. The difficulty at times was BRUTAL in the game. Especially the Ancient Japan world, holy hell.

I own the GameCube version. It comes with 2 discs. You gotta change discs when you get to the Tricerwton Republic map. I guess all those cutscenes are up the GameCube's game disc space or something...

Anyway, I haven't played the game since 2005 or 2006. I knew it was flawed from the beginning, but still enjoyed myself nonetheless. I'm not interested in playing it today, though.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The worst Ninja Turtles game is TMNT 2-5. Yes, I realize I said 2-5... they're all exactly the same game.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #45
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The worst Ninja Turtles game is TMNT 2-5. Yes, I realize I said 2-5... they're all exactly the same game.
You're not wrong that developers have played safe with TMNT videogames for most of history. That being said, Turtles in Time and the original Arcade game are pretty fun.

BUT! I'm really annoyed how it's become a trend to consider Turtles in Time thr GOAT beat em up game only because ScrewAttack listed it #1 in their top 10 beat em ups ever list.

The GOAT classic beat em up game is Streets of Rage 2. Then comes Final Fight 1 or 2.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:57 PM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That being said, Turtles in Time and the original Arcade game are pretty fun.
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I blew tons of quarters on the original arcade game and Turtles in Time in the arcade... good times! But after that, I was definitely "good" on "that game."

I would've loved to have seen like a new take on the general scope of something like TMNT 1 on NES on SNES, or N64. That would have been great.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:42 AM   #47
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656
All the problems like the platforming being terrible, the enemies taking more hits to kill than a tank and the fact that it's a "beat-'em-up" where 99% of the time your best strategy is to simply run away from enemies are still there from everything I've ever heard. It's a fundamentally broken game.
Blah blah can't hear you. I'm getting infinitely double kicked in the face by a Feudal Japan Ninja.

Jokes apart. At the same time, I can't really explain why I liked it so much either. Maybe because I used to play it with my brother, and in multiplayer can be more fun because of how silly it is.
I could list some things that I found likeable and not, but if you think it will be uselees, I'm fine. Some games are just bound to be hated by us.
Hell, I hate Serious Sam (the first encounter) with all of my heart. Some games just can't get off your mind as BAD games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler
Yes, I know Mike can block arrows.
I guess I was the only moron who didn't read the manual back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler
Anyway, I had to get some cheats to beat some levels. Like the one underground where you gotta fight some monsters in the very first world. The difficulty at times was BRUTAL in the game. Especially the Ancient Japan world, holy hell.
Carambola, was THAT hard?
I always used cheats to make the game harder!
Well sure, that's because I'm a HARDCORE power YES g a m e r, professional... MLG player.

The Feudal Japan levels were kind of hard because almost all of them required you to beat all the enemies in the stage. And having like 3 bastards shooting explosive arrows at you, ain't so fun.

VICTORY!"
Old 03-07-2021, 06:15 AM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I would've loved to have seen like a new take on the general scope of something like TMNT 1 on NES on SNES, or N64. That would have been great.
I keep telling you that "Danger of the Ooze" for PS3 and Xbox 360 is a thing. They purposely mimicked a lot of the gameplay elements from the NES game for it. It's... okay.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #49
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Battle Nexus is the best example I can think of of a bad game with a pretty good OST.

I did have fun with the game when I was 14 however. But it had very frustrating parts. And I've never been able to beat every single category in the Battle Nexus tournaments.

Be honest, guys, how many of you used the cheat codes to get through the game at times?
I used no cheat codes, but at certain times I thought about it. However, I only beat the game. I did not fully complete it.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #50
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656
I also dislike the original NES game. BUT. At least it's a functional, working game. It's just brutally unfair and needlessly frustrating and pretty much unbeatable unless you have Save states, a Game Genie, and/or an entire weekend with nothing at all else to do. But "Bad"? Eh. I can see it being fun if you're a masochist, and some people are. First level's fun. After that, I think it's All Show and No Go. But at least it's not completely broken to the point of being unplayable, like Battle Nexus.
The original Nes game has some unfair parts (like you have to take atleast a little bit of damage), but is definitely far from being impossible. I finished it in like 2 weeks of barely playing it. It's an easy mode of Castelvania if I can say, definitely not that hard as people usually describe.
Also, very easy to exploit since it has the classic "tricks" of Castelvania.

VICTORY!"
Old 03-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #51
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
I used no cheat codes, but at certain times I thought about it. However, I only beat the game. I did not fully complete it.
Yeah I haven't completed it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
The original Nes game has some unfair parts (like you have to take atleast a little bit of damage), but is definitely far from being impossible. I finished it in like 2 weeks of barely playing it. It's an easy mode of Castelvania if I can say, definitely not that hard as people usually describe.
Also, very easy to exploit since it has the classic "tricks" of Castelvania.
Could never go any further than the airport level myself. Those spikes always get to me.

But most of the time I end up getting a game over on level 3. Timing THAT jump in the sewers is a bitch. As is the mecha turtle boss.

I'll never beat NES TMNT. I don't like it that much anyway.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #52
Sumac
Banned

From classic games first two games: Back from the Sewers and Fall of the Foot Clan. Both are pretty horrible as platformers, bad hit detection, strange art choices (like characters appearing to be deformed) and enemies falling from every corner. I made their playthrough on YouTube more than a decade ago and it was a big pain.

As for the others, I like pretty much all the other TMNT games from that era. All of them, even Tournament Fighters on Sega Genesis has merit, even though gameplay-wise it is a garbage. But art and soundtrack are magnificent.

First NES games is honestly one of my favorites. It was not hard for me mechanically, but I always lost my way in the 3rd level, until I got my hands on a full playthrough from the game magazine, I borrowed from a friend. All in all it is a fun game and I like for i being different from majority of other classic TMNT games.

From the new ones, I only familiar with Konami offerings. And Battlenexus is quite bad. Beat'em up which encourages running away, with fighting system which is just boring, with hit points sponge enemies, atrocious stealth mechanics - its like game was created by people who didn't know what they were doing, even though TMNT 2003 was a pretty, if simplistic beat'em up. At least both games have amazing soundtrack.

Mutant Melee was also crap, but it was just a small game, so I don't think anyone was interested in it or remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihe View Post
Back from the Sewers (GB)
Turtles have terrible hitboxes, weapons are so short, might as well lose their weapons and just punch. The turtles themselves look pretty derpy, and the bosses have huge heads for some reason.
Yes! This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I only played 1987 era and 2003 era games aside from Mutants in Manhattan and played them all. The worst was easily the first Nintendo game. The enemies were random and generic instead of foot soldiers of different weapons and I never could get past the second level until I was an adult.
Foot Soldiers were in the game, but it was hard to recognize them.

Quote:
Be honest, guys, how many of you used the cheat codes to get through the game at times?
I've completed game three times, first time as Raph and then two more times as Slashuur by moving clock on the PC forward to unlock him. Not sure if it counts as cheat or not.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #53
Leo656
The Franchise

Castlevania for NES is way, way easier than TMNT for NES.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #54
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I haven't beaten either game, but I'd rather try beating the 1st NES Castlevania game than NES TMNT, I'll tell you that.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

The great thing about re-releases is suspend points and save points for difficult games. NES games would make you restart from the beginning of the game and do everything all over again if you lost all your credits. Now with suspend points and save points in the Castlevania collection they released on PS4/Switch etc, all those old outdated problems no longer matter.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #56
Prowler
Emperor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The great thing about re-releases is suspend points and save points for difficult games. NES games would make you restart from the beginning of the game and do everything all over again if you lost all your credits. Now with suspend points and save points in the Castlevania collection they released on PS4/Switch etc, all those old outdated problems no longer matter.
You can do that on the NES Castlevania games since the Wii Virtual Console days.

Which reminds me, one of the prime reasons we got a Wii was because of its Virtual Console. It was the first home console to have something like that. Compilations of older games already existed before that, but a console where you could buy and play SNES, Genesis, Turbographix 16, and NES games?! That was unheard of at the time.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #57
Leo656
The Franchise

Castlevania's levels are really short and there's infinite continues, though. I'd argue that's a bad example of a game needing Save states and checkpoints and whatnot to be able to beat it. Other NES games, definitely.

I'd also argue that a ton of NES games could use that "Rewind" gimmick that they put into the Aladdin/Lion King package that came out not long ago. So many NES games used one-hit kills (or at least bad/cheap hitboxes) to pad out the length that they're borderline unplayable now. But a lot of them would still be fun if they were a LITTLE more forgiving, difficulty-wise.

Like, for example I really wanted to like "IronSword", after hearing my whole life how great it is. But the cheap hits and constantly being back at the Password screen make it unplayable. That game COULD be good, but as it is it's garbage. With a Save Anywhere feature and a Rewind to avoid the constant, CONSTANT "That didn't even touch me! WTF?!?!" cheap hits, though? Might actually be a fun game. First one wasn't bad, although it had some of the same problems.

I had a ton of fun over the past year dusting off a ton of old NES games, but for every one that I think still holds up there's one or two that are only considered "good" because we either didn't know any better or had nothing else to play so we had to make the best of what we had. But even most of those games COULD be really good with just a little bit of tweaking.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:47 PM   #58
Prowler
Emperor

You're right. It's been so long since I've last played NES Castlevania that I forgot that.

Some older games had a good way to work around the lack of save feature by having passwords. The Mega Man series being a prime example. They're hard games and you'll die a lot and get several game overs, but fortunately there's a password system to go back to where you were at.

Long games without password systems and save features really suffered though. Super Mario Bros. 3 being the prime example of it. I know there's the magical flute or whatever but it's not as easy or fast to get it compared to what a save feature would be. That game came out after the first ever Zelda game which HAD a save feature. No excuse. Plus, SMB3 can be quite hard in the later stages. I've NEVER beaten it to this day. World 8 is BRUTAL.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #59
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Well, if you understand how OP the holy water is: very likely.

VICTORY!"
Old 03-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mario 3 is very easy to beat, you have the whistle warp to skip ahead and the all-stars version on SNES has save points.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote