The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #81
frank_one
Mad Scientist

There's a growing nostalgia for Harry Potter. Personally, I want a Xena/Hercules crossover movie.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #82
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I dont like how you lump 90s and 2000s, but junk food still reigned in the 90s but it started to dwindle in the 00's.

So with Tobey Spider-Man and Matrix getting a lot of hype, what's next for 00s nostalgia? Transformers? Live Action Avatar Last Airbender? Cameron's Avatar 2?

I think the Last Airbender is dead on film for a good long while after that lambasted movie. Which was weird because I thought it was a lot of fun, but I hadn't nothing on the I.P. going into the movie.

Transformers already has another one filming now. I thought Avatar looked almost photo real in most scenes, but it was a very dull movie. I'd rather watch Dances With Wolves.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:28 PM   #83
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
There's a growing nostalgia for Harry Potter. Personally, I want a Xena/Hercules crossover movie.
A lot of Harry Potter nostalgia right now, that's true.

I'd love something new in the Xena/Herc world, but the last reboot that they tried to do sounded horrible so perhaps it's better to let the SJW fad to blow over before they try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I think the Last Airbender is dead on film for a good long while after that lambasted movie. Which was weird because I thought it was a lot of fun, but I hadn't nothing on the I.P. going into the movie.

Transformers already has another one filming now. I thought Avatar looked almost photo real in most scenes, but it was a very dull movie. I'd rather watch Dances With Wolves.
Well a whole generation grew up with the 2007 transformers movie, though I guess it's still a bit too early for nostalgia from those people.
For the last airbender I meant the netflix show that's coming up, I hated the live action movie so bad.

I do think Avatar 2 is going to be a juggernaut. Remember how big Episode I was? that came out 16 years after RoTJ. This is coming out 15 years after the original, it'll be similar levels of hype, those who grew up with it are going to be all over it, new generations will be all over it, those who liked it will watch.

Last edited by sdp; 12-20-2021 at 04:59 PM.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #84
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I personally like the 90's/early 2000's aesthetic. It was filled with bold coloring and sharp lining.

Nowadays, modern colors/lines feel heavily muted and softened.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #85
CyberCubed
Overlord

I actually came to realize almost every major TV show I was a fan of all aired around the mid/late 90's or early 2000's. There was a ton of great shows airing around that time. I feel like I lost track of TV somewhere around 2007/2008 and outside of the biggest shows I never really got into anything since.

It was also the last big era of Saturday Morning cartoons, Cartoon Network in its prime, when anime was big in the U.S., and it felt like since there was no streaming and less channels, everyone tended to watch the same shows. It's the same reason shows like Buffy got so popular, there wasn't much anything else to watch at the time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:19 AM   #86
sdp
-

Fairly similar to me I stopped watching shows for the most parts around the mid 00s or so. The fact that I was a teenager meant I preferred to do stuff outside than watch TV and once streaming became a thing I could watch what I wanted when I wanted and I stopped watching over the air TV and just streamed stuff from torrents/youtube for the most part since Netflix streaming was still just beginning and didn't have much content.

I then got tired of having to wait week after week for new episodes so I would just wait until the show ended so I could stream it all and not have to deal with waiting. I remember streaming the first episode of breaking bad and loving it but didn't watch the rest of the series until the last season began airing, that way when I finished streaming the series the ending would be available.

Of course this makes you susceptible to spoilers and people are finished discussing shows for the most part but I tend to avoid most spoilers fairly well surprisingly enough counting how much people b-tch about getting stuff spoiled and discussion/speculation is neat and missed but you can still read about it later and in any case you save a lot of time not spending so many hours of your time reading baseless theories that meant nothing in the end and so many people got upset about discussing which theory was right waste of time that you saved.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's also weird to think how much stuff from back then is still around. Like Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z were huge back then and they're still popular now 20 years later. With both new younger fans and older fans getting back into it.

Then you have stuff like Star Wars (the prequels at the time), the Tobey Spiderman movies, the old DC cartoons, Batman movies, etc...and you realize all this stuff is still around 20 years later just in different forms. It's funny how some things just never change.

I feel like every fandom I was a part of back then has never died.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #88
sdp
-

I don't know if I believe that, I actually wondered this the other day as I walked the toy aisle, it almost seems like a late 80s/early 90s shelve fool of old ass franchises having toys. I don't see kids being interested in them despite those being there, hell even the flipping packaging is not aimed towards them, it's vintage style packaging that resembles the packaging of the toys of the 1980s, if any kids have them it's because of kids forcing the stuff they personally liked as kids to their own kids sort of like a geek modern version of those parents who used to force their kids play football even if they didn't want play it.

Are kids really interested in those boomer shows or is it just boomers like us that are the target audience? When you see kids who are wearing stuff that we liked it's usually when they're too young to choose so it's parents buying clothing and other sh-t for them which is why you see them wearing stuff like 1987 TMNT merchandise even though the show doesn't air.

From what I see the new star wars movies while did great at the box office failed to reach a new audience of kids unlike the prequels. It's mostly just boomers who grew up with the original movies, the 90s re-releases and prequels who raved about them. The only ones that I can think of that break the rule is Pokemon and Marvel, for those franchises you can tell it's indeed kids who are into that as well as adults.

Kids are less and less interested in toys and the toys they do like are on the other side of the toy aisle, all those franchises you don't recognize but they're weird and look nothing like traditional toys. Kids today prefer to buy skins on video games and whatnot, they don't watch cartoons as much as minecraft videos and lets plays
Old 02-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #89
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I wonder if our culture will cycle around.

Maybe we'll start to see 1990's/2000's aesthetics again.

That would be cool.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #90
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Fairly similar to me I stopped watching shows for the most parts around the mid 00s or so. The fact that I was a teenager meant I preferred to do stuff outside than watch TV and once streaming became a thing I could watch what I wanted when I wanted and I stopped watching over the air TV and just streamed stuff from torrents/youtube for the most part since Netflix streaming was still just beginning and didn't have much content.

I then got tired of having to wait week after week for new episodes so I would just wait until the show ended so I could stream it all and not have to deal with waiting. I remember streaming the first episode of breaking bad and loving it but didn't watch the rest of the series until the last season began airing, that way when I finished streaming the series the ending would be available.

Of course this makes you susceptible to spoilers and people are finished discussing shows for the most part but I tend to avoid most spoilers fairly well surprisingly enough counting how much people b-tch about getting stuff spoiled and discussion/speculation is neat and missed but you can still read about it later and in any case you save a lot of time not spending so many hours of your time reading baseless theories that meant nothing in the end and so many people got upset about discussing which theory was right waste of time that you saved.
I do kinda miss the anticipation of a live TV show. I think the last show I cared about was Dragonball Super when I would watch it live over Crunchyroll every week. I didn't want to wait half a year or so for the crap dub, I watched the Tournament of Power as it aired in Japan, and even though technically I could have watched it whenever, it was just too exciting for me, I had to watch it as it aired.

Part of the problem with other streaming shows is the feeling of 'eh, I can watch it whenever I want' because 'whenever I want' never comes.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:44 PM   #91
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I do kinda miss the anticipation of a live TV show. I think the last show I cared about was Dragonball Super when I would watch it live over Crunchyroll every week. I didn't want to wait half a year or so for the crap dub, I watched the Tournament of Power as it aired in Japan, and even though technically I could have watched it whenever, it was just too exciting for me, I had to watch it as it aired.

Part of the problem with other streaming shows is the feeling of 'eh, I can watch it whenever I want' because 'whenever I want' never comes.
I was thinking about this just the other day, don't get me wrong I sure like having the content we have now and being able to binge but I did used to enjoy looking forward to my eps, also you'd be at the same pace as others you might be sharing with (though if I were talking with fans on-line like here I would be behind the US airing so that would have been a disadvantage) I wasn't in any fandoms back when Buffy was still airing but by the end of it I was looking on-line reading the spoilers ahead.
I can't remember which year cable and satelite moved to being able record things for us so we could move on from 'taping' something we would miss it.

Last edited by newfan; 02-08-2022 at 12:25 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #92
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I wonder if our culture will cycle around.

Maybe we'll start to see 1990's/2000's aesthetics again.

That would be cool.
Cool?! We would feel even more depressed because we would remember how young we were when those aesthetics were around the first time and now we are old
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:03 PM   #93
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It would be cool cause my 90s attire wouldn't be too out of place.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #94
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I was listening to some 90's songs, and I found a tune that really frightened me.

Here's Alice Deejay's 1999 hit song, "Better Off Alone".

Spoiler:

Old 04-30-2022, 11:50 AM   #95
Prowler
Emperor

I was born in 1990. Naturally my memories of the 90s are mostly from the later years of the decade. I didn't live through the 90s as a teenager or adult.

Missing the 90s would simply be not me missing that decade per se but just missing my childhood. I was very happy back then. Had zero worries. Not even school gave me anxiety. I never studied and managed to have decent grades.

The 90s like any decade had its ups and downs. The best thing about it was how fast technology was evolving each year. Compare 1990 to 1999 for example. In terms of video game technology and Internet access and development there's a massive difference.

Also remember how the year of 2000 sounded so futuristic still?

I'd say I miss how optimistic we were at the time. Things evolved so fast and we were just excited to see what was going to happen next. Technological development and evolution still goes on today, obviously, but it's not comparable to the changes that happened in the 90s. The biggest change within the last 14 years or so was probably mobile phones becoming mini computers.

We've just became more cynical and fearful of the future this century. It began with the 911 attacks, continued with the 2007-2008 crisis and also the global pandemic in the last few years.

The world also seems less and less authentic nowadays. Globalisation is kind of ruining a lot of cultures. More and more each European country seems less different than the other nowadays. You go to my city nowadays and there's like 3 Starbucks around the historical center of it. And more traditional cafés and businesses have been closing lately. Many did not survive the touristic boom or the pandemic. Then they get replaced by big chains. At this rate Lisbon will become a city like London or Amsterdam in a few decades. A city for tourists and foreigners where Portuguese people feel like foreigners themselves. I really don't see what's positive about this.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:16 PM   #96
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
We've just became more cynical and fearful of the future this century. It began with the 911 attacks, continued with the 2007-2008 crisis and also the global pandemic in the last few years.

The world also seems less and less authentic nowadays. Globalisation is kind of ruining a lot of cultures. More and more each European country seems less different than the other nowadays. You go to my city nowadays and there's like 3 Starbucks around the historical center of it. And more traditional cafés and businesses have been closing lately. Many did not survive the touristic boom or the pandemic. Then they get replaced by big chains. At this rate Lisbon will become a city like London or Amsterdam in a few decades. A city for tourists and foreigners where Portuguese people feel like foreigners themselves. I really don't see what's positive about this.
I agree, very well said. Working in my local government and interacting with the public on a daily basis, it is very saddening for me to see how people's attitudes have soured despite many countries being richer now than during any other point in history.

In theory, people should be the happiest now than they have ever been before. Atleast in the part of the West where I live and even taking into account the pandemic, food is in abundance, there is no limits on entertainment, freedom is at its highest, life expectancy is generally increasing, and we are comparitively less likely to die from war than our ancestors etc.

Yet, all it takes is one cursory glance to see that something is missing. Many people have everything in the flesh which would allow them to survive, yet they are missing the creative spark which would make them thrive.

People can have all the food and media they want, but unless they live (live, not survive) for a purpose higher than themselves, then they are living for ultimately nothing. Satiafaction of the Soul is equally as important, if not more important than getting one's daily bread.

That's whats missing from Europe nowadays.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-30-2022 at 01:22 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:20 PM   #97
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I agree, very well said. Working in my local government and interacting with the public on a daily basis, it is very saddening for me to see how people's attitudes have soured despite many countries being richer now than during any other point in history.

In theory, people should be the happiest now than they have ever been before. Atleast in the part of the West where I live and even taking into account the pandemic, food is in abundance, there is no limits on entertainment, freedom is at its highest, life expectancy is generally increasing, and we are comparitively less likely to die from war than our ancestors etc.

Yet, all it takes is one cursory glance to see that something is missing. Many people have everything in the flesh which would allow them to survive, yet they are missing the creative spark which would make them thrive.

People can have all the food and media they want, but unless they live (live, not survive) for a purpose higher than themselves, then they are living for ultimately nothing. Satiafaction of the Soul is equally as important, if not more important than getting one's daily bread.

That's whats missing from Europe nowadays.
Well, that's true and I don't know the answer to that. Otherwise I'd be much happier as well. I've been battling depression for nearly 3 years now.

You're right that in the West we have it very good compared to sub-saharan Africa or a place like Afghanistan, but I don't think that's the right way to look at it. Like OK, I don't have cancer or AIDS, but that alone doesn't make me happy. Your average person is not as wealthy as, let's say, Dwayne Johnson. And even rich people get depressed and become unhappy. Prosperity and good health alone don't make someone happy.

I believe they made some studies sometime ago of how apparently depression is or was absent from primitive societies. I guess because people from such societies basically live like wild animals. They just care about hunting and sleeping. They don't sit down all day getting lost in philosophical thoughts since they don't even have an education in the first place. That doesn't mean I envy them. I definitely would not be able to live like that nor would most people.

You mention soul. Perhaps you're referring to religion and spirituality? Well, religion has lost a TON of importance in developed nations throughout the second half of the 20th century. I suppose religion is a good crutch for people to give some meaning to life, but I'm not a believer and thus nothing about it makes much sense to me.

I'd say there's probably some sort of correlation, but not a causation.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:28 PM   #98
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Well, that's true and I don't know the answer to that. Otherwise I'd be much happier as well. I've been battling depression for nearly 3 years now.
I hope that one day, you'll find a way out of your predicament, and find genuine contentment. From the way you write, you seem like a very kind and caring man who is open to seeking knowledge and finding answers.

I wish you all the best.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 05:56 PM   #99
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I hope that one day, you'll find a way out of your predicament, and find genuine contentment. From the way you write, you seem like a very kind and caring man who is open to seeking knowledge and finding answers.

I wish you all the best.
Thanks for wishing me the best.
Old 05-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #100
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I hope that you'll get better, Prowler.

Things seem so much more ... nihilistic, at least nowadays.

I wonder if postmodernism has something to do with that.