The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 09-02-2022, 11:31 AM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

New TMNT Game for 2023?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s-game-in-2023

We keep saying that 2022 is the Year of the Turtle — with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge and The Cowabunga Collection releasing this past summer. But it looks like Nickelodeon and Paramount want to keep the celebrations going in 2023, as the studios are reportedly planning a brand new TMNT game.

Reported on by NickALive! (via ResetEra and TheGamer), a choice quote has been spotted in the September 2022 edition of Toy World Magazine. On page 170, under the 'Paramount Consumer Products & Experiences' section, the very last line says that Paramount, who is the parent company of Nickelodeon, "will launch a brand-new original Triple-A game in 2023" based on the Heroes in Half Shells. Rad!

That's all we know so far! We don't even know what genre, what platforms, or even what look the game will have. The Turtles have traditionally starred in beat 'em ups, but this may be a chance for them to branch out. We won't know anything until an official announcement, so keep your ears close to the sewers.

Regardless of the lack of a proper, official announcement, a new Turtles game in 2023 does make a lot of sense! Next year, we're getting a brand new animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, Mutant Mayhem, produced by Seth Rogan and directed by Gravity Falls writer and The Mitchells vs. the Machines co-director Jeff Rowe.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
We keep saying that 2022 is the Year of the Turtle
Oh, we do?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #3
raph27
Mad Scientist

If this turns out to be true, I'm hoping its set in its own universe like PS4 Spider-Man or the Arkham games. Kind of burnt out on all the OT stuff.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #4
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Imagine a new big game set in the Mirage universe and based on a new story by Eastman and Laird.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:38 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean it could be anything. The IDW-inspired TMNT game from a few years ago wasn't received well, so I wouldn't jump for celebration yet.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:27 PM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

Called that after the reception to Shredder’s Revenge.

Expect an animated version of The Last Ronin in the next few years as well.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #7
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Maybe it’s a Rise of the TMNT game.
The movie and series hashtag have been trending on twitter almost daily by the thousands, people really want more.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 01:24 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Expect an animated version of The Last Ronin in the next few years as well.
Probably. Deserved. It moved the meter about as much as a comic can in today's market.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:24 AM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its possible that this new TMNT game will be based on Mutant Mayhem since that's coming out the same year.

Or maybe they can do another Shredder's Revenge, Given how successful that game was, People may want more of that style of game.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #10
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Probably. Deserved. It moved the meter about as much as a comic can in today's market.
Agreed. It just makes sense.
It’s got the prestige of being on the New York Times Best Seller list as well now, which is probably a lot of “firsts” for the brand, IDW, etc

It also seems like Viacom/Nick is going all in on turtles these last few years, which we are starting to see come to a head now, between all the comic events, video game releases, movie news, and the toy lines exploding even more.

I mean, Seth Rogen probably wasn’t cheap. Not like the guy is desperate for work, despite how any of us feel about it him. That’s an investment.

Now there seems to be follow-up to all the success the brand has been having as of late:
Neca line expanding further than any of us imagined, TLR becoming the “Ronin Verse” with multiple spin-offs, and now the Retro/budget games have proven there is a market for AAA TMNT games, which Viacom is immediately following up on.

It just seems like the brand is leaning into it’s strengths, and exploiting all markets, quite successfully, for the first time since the sale.
It’s no longer hard to imagine them recognizing that an animated adaption would sell very well. Literally, just keep following up on what works - it’s working.

Anyway, as for a new game, I’d love for them to lean into an RPG-type game, but I’m not holding my breath.

I think developers will always be inclined to take advantage of the fact that there are four main characters that can be utilized in multiplayer. I’d like to see it utilized in single-player, like we’ve seen in games like Final Fantasy or even Arkham Knight.

The retro-style games could continue on and satisfy that multiplayer itch.

Other then that, I’d be open to another fighting game, if it had a great developer, but the competition is pretty tight, so I wouldn’t bet on that either.

I just don’t think we’ve ever really had a great single-player experience in the world of TMNT. Something I can be excited to sink my teeth into all by myself after work. The type of AAA experience that you get addicted to and think about playing while you’re at work. Big budget, story-focused, deep combat. That’s what I want.

Last edited by AquaParade; 09-03-2022 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:56 PM   #11
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Hmmmm a AAA game you say?

Begs the question, did they consider Out of the Shadows to be AAA?
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Hmmmm a AAA game you say?

Begs the question, did they consider Out of the Shadows to be AAA?
I would consider Shredder's Revenge a AAA game, The amount of work put into it, The attention to details, That is something you normally would see done with AAA games in general.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:54 AM   #13
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Man, I read the book and liked parts of it, but a lot of it also felt pretty pedestrian. I'm not a huge comics guy anyway, but I have gone back a couple of times and re-read some of the Walking Dead stuff, whereas I don't think I'll ever reread this one.

Anyway, if we get a new game, it would be great for some actual stealth to be built into it. More simple button-mashing combat doesn't hold a lot of appeal.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #14
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

NOW YOU KNOW which game will be the best game of next year! Finaly an ew AAA game with current graphics and 3d!!! I will beat the turtles again and again!!It iwll be best action game of the year and best game of the year like Shredder revenge is for this year!
Old 09-05-2022, 10:28 AM   #15
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

I’m assuming it’ll be based on the new movie, like a 2004-2014 tie in game. You sadly don’t often get tie in games like it nowadays (not that many of them were good)
Old 09-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #16
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I would consider Shredder's Revenge a AAA game, The amount of work put into it, The attention to details, That is something you normally would see done with AAA games in general.
Thats not a AAA game.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Thats not a AAA game.
Yeah, the budget and scope just isn't there.

Being a AAA game is not about quality. It's a great game though and totally excels at what it sets out to do.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #18
Galactus
Foot Elite

Just saying that The Last Ronin would make a Arkham styled game. Not a straight adaption of course but the basic premise of the last surviving turtle returning to a closed off dystopian Manhattan. The main campaign would obviously be taking down Hiroto/Shredderbut you could have side missions involving most TMNT villains like Baxter, Leatherhead and The Rat King. Also like Arkham was a more adult version of Batman TAS a Last Ronin game could be darker than the comic was allowed to get. If there really is a AAA game in the works I'm just putting this out there as a road to take.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:41 PM   #19
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Yes even i must admit that while my new game SHREDDER REVENGE is the best game of the year and best action game of the year it is not a AAA game.
2D games were AAA in 1990's because computers werent powerufl enough for 3d graphics. Now 9/10 of the games that are released each year are 3d and the only companeis who makes 2d games are very small companies like DotEmu they are not AAA. The 2003 and 2012 games were AAA but the 1987 games were not AAA . Even from the 2003 not all were AAA. The GBA version of the first game was 2d so it was not AAA but AA while the pc and console verisons were 3d and much better games so they were AAA.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:32 AM   #20
Filespit
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Just saying that The Last Ronin would make a Arkham styled game. Not a straight adaption of course but the basic premise of the last surviving turtle returning to a closed off dystopian Manhattan. The main campaign would obviously be taking down Hiroto/Shredderbut you could have side missions involving most TMNT villains like Baxter, Leatherhead and The Rat King. Also like Arkham was a more adult version of Batman TAS a Last Ronin game could be darker than the comic was allowed to get. If there really is a AAA game in the works I'm just putting this out there as a road to take.
This. Although it doesn't have to be limited to TLR as I'd like all four turtles to be playable. Here's what I want.

* A Batman Arkham/Spider-Man type of game
* Set in Manhattan, with at least lower Manhattan explorable
* Map should be parkour-able in a way that makes sense for the turtles
* Sewers should be used as quick travel points
* Lair always visitable for upgrading, learning new skills etc
* Combo based battle system
* All four turtles playable with their own unique movesets
* Main story involving Shredder/Foot Clan
* Side quests involvning other villains (Baxter, Rat King, Purple Dragons etc), some quests could also be specific for each turtle
* Territories for villain gangs/clans (as seen in Spider-Man)
* Loads of skins for all turtles
Filespit is offline   Reply With Quote