The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #501
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well it's not much, but after roughly a year of no info at all, glad to at least hear some confirmation as to whether or not it's even still on the table. Was starting to have my doubts.

Wish we'd hear something more. If it's still slated to happen, surely after a year there is a little progress on this? So much of a 3D animated film, esp the initial parts of it, doesn't even need to be done colletively in the same office/studio these day.
I was hoping that no news meant the whole thing had been abandoned.

Who on Earth thinks another animated movie is creatively or commercially a good idea?!?

After the last attempt to make this TMNT work in movies failed and nearly killed the franchise an animated movie just screams cop out even we know it's going to deliberately stupid and contain all the things that turned people off from going to see the last one.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:28 PM   #502
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That's why I wish a year later we were hearing something more than just "oh hey, we're still doing it." Some hint of the general direction and tone would be nice.

Can't help but want to be optimistic about it, but if I'm just going to have my hopes dashed I'd rather just have that part confirmed already. As it is I'm not crazy about going all CGI. I far prefer live action for movies.

Though I'm kind of convinced that the film industry is probably terrified of fanbases these days and unlikely to even want to tell us anything for fear of having to go back and fix stupid choices that fans resent being made. LOL

And having to face this one... I'm sure the TMNT fanbase is somewhere within the top league of internet warriors who will tear you up should your production company commit some grave sin that goes too far. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-19-2021 at 05:36 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #503
Galactus
Foot Elite

I doubt we as a fanbase make much of difference to any TMNT product.

Sure, you could say we forced them to change the turtles back to mutants instead of aliens and Shredder being Japanese instead of William Fichtner but the outrage for those things stretched waaay beyond the TMNT fandom. Anyone who even had the remotest interest in the franchise were up in arms about those issues. Frankly if they'd listened to us in the first place they wouldn't have made those dumb decisions or any of the crap that led things caused the sequel to tank.

I don't think you have to be a genius to know were a cgi movie is headed. They are not going to make an semi serious animated movie, it's going to be a kiddy romp filled with lots of Fred Wolf characters and concepts. We don't need to be told this, you can see it coming off from miles away.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #504
Rise1184
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I doubt we as a fanbase make much of difference to any TMNT product.

Sure, you could say we forced them to change the turtles back to mutants instead of aliens and Shredder being Japanese instead of William Fichtner but the outrage for those things stretched waaay beyond the TMNT fandom. Anyone who even had the remotest interest in the franchise were up in arms about those issues. Frankly if they'd listened to us in the first place they wouldn't have made those dumb decisions or any of the crap that led things caused the sequel to tank.

I don't think you have to be a genius to know were a cgi movie is headed. They are not going to make an semi serious animated movie, it's going to be a kiddy romp filled with lots of Fred Wolf characters and concepts. We don't need to be told this, you can see it coming off from miles away.
If it worked for Justice League and the fans pounding the studios, the Snyder cut would have never been released. If the fans didn’t cause an uproar regarding the original concept of Sonic The Hedgehog for the film, it would have never been redone. Never give up hope, we will be heard as a community

"He's wrong.. We're NOT wearing costumes."
Rise1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #505
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise1184 View Post
If it worked for Justice League and the fans pounding the studios, the Snyder cut would have never been released.
Well, let's be clear about it. It was WB wanting to bring a lot of subscriptions to their new HBO Max and a lightbulb going on about "Seems to be demand for Snyder's cut... we need as many subscriptions as possible... we can make this happen!"

It wasn't like some gift to the fandom, or an altruistic reward.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:51 PM   #506
sdp
Megan Fox = April

For better or worse studios do seem to be listening and with successful examples like Sonic the Hedgehog and the Snyder JL it might be happening more often until plenty of ideas tank because of asking fans. I personally think they do need to listen to feedback but not change their projects just because of that as well, Justice League 2017 is sort of another example of listening to people with the opposite results.

Not that I think fans can make a difference for this, TMNT is a kids property that they want to exploit as a kid brand to maximize profits. And I do think this CG film will aim for a fairly young audience, I'm thinking something like Big Hero Six for kids and enjoyable for "adults". It'll make us appreciate the 2007 movie for at least trying.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #507
Galactus
Foot Elite

The whole thing with the 'Snyder Cut' is a fascinating look at a fandom flexing it's power but I don't think the TMNT fandom is anywhere near as big as that for the DC's main heroes. Plus it relied on a certain set of circumstances like the injustice of Snyder being taken off the project under the guise of helping him out during a family tragedy, not seeing the 'vision' that had been built up of over two movies come to fruition, the rivalry with the MCU and even at times taking on an almost pseudo political aspect. Finally there was HBO desperately needing something to attract attention and subscribers to their streaming service.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:32 PM   #508
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well it’s nice to know it’s still happening. Should be pretty cool at least.

A live action Loud House Christmas and a Nick Transformers sounds interesting.

I noticed Garfield was not listed. I guess they’re not doing that after all.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:25 AM   #509
CyberCubed
Overlord

I honestly feel like this movie isn't going to happen. If they're thinking 2023 then it's obvious still early on and no animation has really been done so far.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #510
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I honestly feel like this movie isn't going to happen. If they're thinking 2023 then it's obvious still early on and no animation has really been done so far.
OH F%CKBALLS! TWO YEARS?!

My god, how the hell will they manage that?! Clearly they will give up before they get anywhere, no way they can keep it together for that long. It's not like anyone has ever done something similar before. It totally didn't take:
  • Boyhood 12 years
  • Eraserhead 6 years
  • Sleeping Beauty 7 years
  • Thief and the Cobbler 29 years

Clearly two years is just way too long... Oh wait, no... Two years is actually a fairly common production time. Raya, Disney's latest animated release, took three years from announcement to release. That is the same schedule as this movie. It's idiotic to assume this movie won't get made because it was announced less than a year ago and is scheduled for release in two.

Come back when there isn't even a trailer by 2023, then we can worry about this movie being canned.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:17 AM   #511
sdp
Megan Fox = April

two years feels way optimistic, I don't see it happening and I'm sure it'll get stuck in development hell which is probably for the better, this will be a Incredibles/Big Hero 6 type of superhero movie and while it'll be "alright", it'll be a horrible tmnt movie since it'll just be another generic bland cg movie. It's best just to wait ten years or more for the next movie.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #512
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
I hope you're right. I have no hope in this turning out good.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #513
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also keep in mind this movie was greenlit pre-covid pandemic. After that it probably made them re-think their approach to it with movie theaters being closed for over a year.

I don't think this will get made, or if it does, they'll just release it on Paramount+ digitally and it won't be a theater thing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #514
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

This movie will be released in theaters, Then it will be on Paramount+ after its 45 day theatrical release.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:39 PM   #515
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Also keep in mind this movie was greenlit pre-covid pandemic. After that it probably made them re-think their approach to it with movie theaters being closed for over a year.

I don't think this will get made, or if it does, they'll just release it on Paramount+ digitally and it won't be a theater thing.
Considering how the 2007 film did in theaters, maybe it's for the best that they'd release it on Paramount+ or any streaming service.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #516
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Also keep in mind this movie was greenlit pre-covid pandemic.
Actually, I'm pretty certain it was announced last spring, already during the pandemic. (edit: June I guess, going by articles that came out.) As if they'd almost kind of changed gears for a film because any remaining thought of a live action one would have had to be put aside anyhow thanks to Covid.

But the past year has felt more like two years, so... understandable to think we've known of this one longer than we really have.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #517
Galactus
Foot Elite

^^^

Part of the reason that the Imagi movie under performed was because it was a cgi animated movie. The amount of people I saw writing it off as some Pixar wannabe kiddy romp and not something they'd want to see. The movie was better than that for sure but they weren't entirely wrong to dismiss it certainly there were aspects of it that absolutely were deliberately silly and those were all front and center in the marketing. Same with Into The Spider-verse. Generally considered to be a good animated movie but it didn't exactly break the box office because less people are interested in seeing a cartoon Spider-Man on the big screen.

TMNT is just uncomfortably caught between two different worlds. It's an action/adventure franchise much in the vein of many comic book properties that are killing it in movies right now but it's protagonists are anthropomorphic animals and that makes think it's more a childrens thing like Mighty Mouse or Samurai Pizza Cats or something.

Paramount only need look at their recent track record with property to see which direction is better. For all it's faults (and boy did it have many) TMNT 2014 was marketed along the lines of a movie for teenagers and young adults, had it's trailer premier before Captain America: The Winter Soldier and had at least some stylistic edge to it. It looked and sounded like a movie a movie for young adults. It turned out to be a bad movie for young adults but still one people wouldn't be too ashamed to buy tickets for. Contrast that to Out of the Shadows that despite it using all the nostalgia characters was aimed purely at pre-teens. Almost all the ads and marketing was aimed at kids and it tanked.

Last edited by Galactus; 03-20-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #518
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, like it or not any CGI animated movie is immediate visual shorthand for "Kids Movie". And right there you lose a sizeable chunk of the potential audience automatically. I know a ton of "adults" - even ones who love comic book movies - who absolutely refuse to watch cartoons or CGI animated movies of any kind. They'd watch a live-action TMNT movie if it was good or got good word-of-mouth - some of these people aren't even TMNT fans but just people who see pretty much "anything" that comes out - but they'd never watch an animated one. I'd go so far as to say that's MOST people over a certain age.

This is the problem they keep running into with TMNT. They see it as a "kids' thing" except that kids today DO NOT CARE about Ninja Turtles and so there will never be enough kids in the audience to make enough money back on any project. But they refuse to throw a bone to the audience that actually grew up with the brand over the last 30+ years, even though that would make a lot more sense if they actually want to make any money. They keep presenting projects that just automatically turn off a huge chunk of the potential audience by doing things like this.

It makes sense because CGI animation is cheaper than a live action movie, sure. The last two seriously under-performed, and so they don't want to take another risk. So they're aiming much lower and hoping they at least break even. Makes sense, but it's not actually gonna matter much. The brand needs the "credibility" that comes with having a successful live-action movie.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #519
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I don’t understand the thought process of ‘oh this isn’t coming out until 2023 - that means it isn’t going to happen’. Animated movies get announced 3-4 years in advance. Spiderverse was officially announced in early 2015 and was released in December 2018.

If anything, the fact that they included it in a press release detailing their tv animation for 2021-2022 and included a release date for the first time means it’s still moving forward

Viacom has made no secret that they’re going to exploit all of the IP for the near future. They’re not going to let a sleeping dog lie unfortunately.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #520
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I don’t understand the thought process of ‘oh this isn’t coming out until 2023 - that means it isn’t going to happen’. Animated movies get announced 3-4 years in advance. Spiderverse was officially announced in early 2015 and was released in December 2018.

If anything, the fact that they included it in a press release detailing their tv animation for 2021-2022 and included a release date for the first time means it’s still moving forward

Viacom has made no secret that they’re going to exploit all of the IP for the near future. They’re not going to let a sleeping dog lie unfortunately.
I don't know, Cubed is being weird. Two years from now really is nothing, maybe it'll get canned at some point but there really is no reason to think that'll be the case.

I think Cubed (and anyone who might agree with him) really just don't want this movie to happen, even if we really don't know anything relevant about it yet.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote