The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Zog the Equalizer
Stone Warrior

Why do the 2007 movie turtles get so much hate?

It seems to be a running trend that a lot of people disliked those figures, but based on what we'd gotten at the time, I thought they were pretty good. Why do people seem to dislike these so much?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I don't remember much of a gripe about them, except maybe their size....the movie itself is another story.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
pannoni1
Foot Elite

These figures are actually pretty accurate to the design used for the movie, and in a way show how influenced the Nick Turtles' and IDW designs came from them, and I find them an important piece in history. Sure, they're a little taller than others, but the whole collection is compatable to itself, and are a great bargain when found at second hand shops and especially yard/garage sales since these are still recent. They are not as much as the black sheep as the Next Mutation lines were as a result.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Zarana-X
Hench Mutant

People generally complained about the lizard-like appearance.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
cloud
Stone Warrior

Don't know why. I loved the 2007 movie Turtles. The Turtles were much more articulated than usual Playmates TMNT. One again comes with signature weapons as long as screen accurate or character appropriate accessories. I think the 2007 movie Splinter is the best Spinter figure we've got so far.
It's just that the green plastic is far from the detailed textured shown in the CGI film. Some paint would have elevated the look of the turtles.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
cloud
Stone Warrior

Don't know why. I loved the 2007 movie Turtles. The Turtles were much more articulated than usual Playmates TMNT. One again comes with signature weapons as long as screen accurate or character appropriate accessories. I think the 2007 movie Splinter is the best Spinter figure we've got so far.
It's just that the green plastic is far from the detailed textured shown in the CGI film. Some paint would have elevated the look of the turtles.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Threat
Foot Soldier

Personally, I thought they were too bland.
Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post

I agree with a lot of this. I think they were quite underrated, but they also had the unfortunate pleasure of coming out shortly before the NECA Turtles and the NECA figures sort of rained on their parade.

They have bigger "noses" and such, which made them look a lot like lizards to some people. I quite liked them, though. You're right on the Splinter too. He's awesome, albeit not very poseable.

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 AM   #9
Genesis
Stone Warrior

"Lizard-like"? They looked like frogs with shells.

That movie had a weird effect on me. I loved it when I first watched it, but it reverse-grew on me. The more I watched it, the less interested in its admittedly bare-bones plot I became. That whole flick makes very little sense, really.

As for the Turtles themselves, I only really feel like they looked awkward in their froggy faces. Their bodies were all okay, except for being exact clones of each other. Personality-wise, there wasn't anything unusual or complaint-worthy about them.

Their toys were hideous, which is probably what everyone's actually talking about. I sometimes forget what section of the forums I'm in.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
MST3KFan
Hench Mutant

I dunno... I never heard about the 2007 movie toy hate myself. I ended up just buying the four turtles and Shredder myself though given at that point I was making it a habit to buy all four of the turtles and shredder at least in every new incarnation.
MST3KFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

Its cuz it was the start of playmates giving raph an ugly dark green skin tone.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
joetheripper
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't remember much of a gripe about them, except maybe their size....the movie itself is another story.
haha spot on!

splinter looked pretty sweet tho.
joetheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

well i dont know but i did not like them whene the movie come out but over time i like it more and more and i hope playmate rerelase them later on but with more joint and more movie acurate like the skin texture and right color no funny smiles etc
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I'm really mixed about the TMNT 2007 film. I love the look of it, but the plot was uninteresting. The figures look really really goofy. Honestly I'm glad I don't own any of them. I am much happier with the direction the Nick series went.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
Threat
Foot Soldier

the only thing I liked about that movie was the Rafael vs. Leo scene. It was almost too good to be in that movie.
Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
joetheripper
Foot Soldier

yea super sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threat View Post
the only thing I liked about that movie was the Rafael vs. Leo scene. It was almost too good to be in that movie.
joetheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Zog the Equalizer
Stone Warrior

As far as I can remember, my biggest complaints with the line were Mikey's face and the fact that Casey didn't come with a hockey stick
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
sdp
Megan Fox = April

When they came out they were called the best TMNT figures ever released by most of the dromers, in fact that is even an exact quote from a fellow senior member. I think after the hype of the new movie wore out and playmates kept re-releasing the same turtles over and over that the fandom began to get fed up with them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

why do people always notice the hatred but not the love?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #20
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Turtle View Post
why do people always notice the hatred but not the love?
that's not really an acceptable view...if art is not criticised then it can't improve...so despite the Transformers movies being shockingly bad, we are supposed to remain positive and force ourselves to like them? If everyone did that then quality levels would never increase with anything...'hate' is a good thing, crappy products phase out and it forces creators to try harder...

if something is bad, you are going to hear about it from me, I refuse to join the brainwashed public
1988 is offline   Reply With Quote