Worst:
- Laird's long absence from the Turtles
- everything else
Couldn't agree more
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:03 PM   #23
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I liked the IDW comics til issue 100, and the 2012 show except for the season/half-season long 'themed seasons'. Also re-releasing the Playmates figures.

Obviously didn't care for the Bay Movies, Rise and quite possible Mutant Mayhem when it comes out.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:19 PM   #24
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Last Ronin on its own reignited my interest in TMNT, so that was the best imo.

I'm only up to #17 in the IDW run but I've been really enjoying it so far. Far as I'm concerned, that Tom Waltz guy's got it going on. An excellent example of how to reincorporate elements of previous iterations in ways that feel natural without feeling like fanboy pandering. There are a few points where the story could've felt like bad fanfiction, but the writing is competent enough that it steers away from that. I dig his dialogue, as well. The art is iffy sometimes and great sometimes depending on the issue.

I dug both video game releases from last year. Granted, one of them was Cowabunga Collection, but that was a solid collection that was long awaited. Shredder's Revenge ripped, though. I don't play many beat-em-ups, but it felt like such a big step forward from Turtles In Time.

Overall, 2012 is a decent time with some excellent passages. But previous posters are right that the writing of the overarching story is pretty lousy, and individual eps aren't always much better. I maintain that Season 1 is some of the best non-comics TMNT, and losing that initial writing team was a massive blow to the show. Then again, some of the show's best eps were towards the end, like Kevin's ep. Probably my favorite versions Shredder and Splinter.

I thought the Batman/TMNT film was okay. I wasn't in love with it, but some of it was pretty cool, like that scene with Batman fighting Shredder. It feels like the first act was pretty solid, but the movie's structure falls apart when they go to Arkham for... a long... long... time. And like, Batman gets mutated and sh*t. I think the movie lost me there, I couldn't take any of it seriously after that.

I didn't dig Rise's first few eps, and its premiere was the beginning of my disinterest in the franchise. I'm still generally not a big fan of the "throw everything at the screen at the same time!" style of humor, especially since it's very rare they actually say something funny. I dig the animation though. The Rise movie from last year, though, kicked butt. Everything in it, from the humor to the dramatic beats, carrying over the dazzling animation from the show, really hit for me.

BayTurtles was just baffling. To this day, it's like a fever dream how weirdly tone-deaf the first movie is. It seems like every single decision they made was the wrong one. And based on the leaked screenplay it's not even as bad as it could've been. OotS was better in some ways and even worse in others. But by-and-large, making it BayTurtles with an OT mask was a stupid idea that might've seemed brilliant when examining the state of the franchise through Microsoft Excel.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:06 PM   #25
Hamato_Clan
Random Punk

For me:

IDW from #1-100 was good for me, haven’t really read anything since then, I wanna pick up on Shredder in Hell though

The Batman/TMNT comic I loved, I haven’t finished the movie though. It was good though.

‘12 was good up until space. I always thought that Fugitiod should’ve said he made that black hole machine from the beginning instead of waiting for the needless drama at the end. From that point on I pretty much checked out and never bothered to finish it.

Splinter being killed again sounded pretty stupid though. Mutagen Man got what he deserved, April was very bland and felt shoehorned at times, Kirby was annoying, Casey was very cool-looking, but ultimately kind of forgettable. He doesn’t get very good treatment. The neutrinos episode ruined any good will I had in Mikey. Donatello/April was the WORST thing to ever happen in the show. Absolutely cringy and made Donatello very annoying to watch. They should’ve put an end to it after season 1.

I’ve only watched the Rise and have never seen the series, though I’ll give it a watch one day I guess. The movie was awesome animation wise, narratively-wise, its average. Leo with Mikey’s personality is not a good mix, Don and Mikey themselves felt caricatures, and Raph being leader will never be a good look. Splinter and April were meh at best. Casey and the Kraang were the only characters I enjoyed. I will admit I did feel some emotion at the end.

The Bay movies I hate. Absolutely atrocious.

That’s it I think.
Hamato_Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:57 PM   #26
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Best:
- IDW TMNT(Before City Fall Arc)
- TMNT Urban Legend
- 2012 TMNT S4 Owari
- The Last Ronin #1
- IDW TMNT Deviations

Good:
- 2012 TMNT S1-S2
- Rise TMNT(Only the last few episodes that focus on serious story and fighting scene), and Movie
- The Last Ronin #2
- IDW TMNT 20/20
- Batman Vs TMNT Movie

Mediocre, Boring or Disappointment:
- IDW TMNT #21-#100
- 2012 TMNT S3-S5
- The Last Ronin #3 - #5
- Last Ronin: The Lost Years series
- IDW TMNT The Armageddon Game
- Rise TMNT series
- Most of TMNT crossover comic series

Trash: