The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Art and Design

Notices

Old 05-22-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Opinions on my art

The group is from a comic strip series I made. I took off some details though because I want to copyright it and post them on online. I really want to make a comic book or series on Amazon KDP. Sonic and the car I just did for fun. I haven’t done anything TMNT related.

I’m happy with the drawings and characters but I wish I could color better. Please be honest. I’m very critical of them myself. I want your honest opinions.

Old 05-22-2023, 10:30 PM   #2
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

The car looks a little unappealing, but everything else looks good.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:56 PM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Do you mean the car itself or the background? I’ll admit I didn’t really feel like coming up with a proper background so I just did a basic shadow and the Italian flag colors on top.

I think the car came out pretty good but again I don’t think the coloring is that good. Wasn’t going for realistic but I know it can be better.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:09 AM   #4
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Do you mean the car itself or the background? I’ll admit I didn’t really feel like coming up with a proper background so I just did a basic shadow and the Italian flag colors on top.

I think the car came out pretty good but again I don’t think the coloring is that good. Wasn’t going for realistic but I know it can be better.
Maybe try a different colour and add a bit more to the background. Just something about picture 3 doesn't look right.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:58 AM   #5
frank_one
Mad Scientist

The perspective seems a bit off in that Lamborghini.
Everything else is good but flat. You should try to modulate the tickness of your lines to make objects and parts feel more 3D and organic. There's a crack in the tombstone in the background, it's a distant object but the line of the crack is as thick as the ones of the objects in the foreground.
You should also try to take into account the different materials your objects are made of. Look at that tombstone, nothing really suggests that it is sculpted, carved and made of a granular material, it seems like a perfectly produced piece of plastic. Add some texture, some imperfection, some dirt in your scenes.
That Sonic is very good though and I like that you've tried to render the reflection on the ring.

You're doing good! Keep drawing!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Cool stuff. The thing that first jumped out to me is color. They seem a little over saturated and primary. I'd study color theory and study different pleasing color schemes and why they work. Maybe find a color palette generator online and analyze how different colors work together. I'd also work on shadow and lighting. Think about light source location. On the tree, it looks like the sun is directly above it based on the shadow. But the leaves' shadow would probably come down further, or engulf the tree entirely, in that case. Also on the grave stone, it's a sunny day. Where is the sun in that picture? The tombstone would probably be casting a shadow. It could even be over the dug hole, which would change the mood of the composition entirely.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 05:02 PM   #7
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Thanks for the replies.

I actually did try to add detail to the tombstone but it ended up looking more and like scribbles. Some pictures look much better than others but some definitely look very bland. To the point I left them out and went another way.

I think together in comic strip form they look pretty nice but as individual pictures they tend to look plain. I know some really popular comics are not super detailed and art style can be whatever you want but I prefer it look better.

I look at different comic covers online and I know how I want it to look but I can’t quite match it. Overall I intend for it to be bright and colorful. I feel my main problem is not knowing how to properly blend colors and shading.

I’ve watched some videos and the program I use has the right tools but I just can’t seem to get it. I kinda figured out a way but it’s a harder way. I’ve done this on my iPad and and an app called Sketchbook.