The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-21-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Terminator 7

No, it's not actively in development but there are discussions. Also, Cameron would want it to focus more on the AI side of things.

https://comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/te...gs.b214.l47n3x
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Nope, I don't need this.

I paid to see Rise of the Machines, Salvation and Genesis. I was done after that.

I watched Dark Fate on streaming and felt absolutely justified I skipped it at the cinema.

Didn't each of Salvation, Genesis and Dark fate be intended to be the beginning of a new trilogy. I like to think of those 3 movies as the trilogy of failed trilogies.

I do like the idea of T1, T2 and Salvation being a trilogy that loops back around. In a never ending cycle of murder, mayhem, misery and war. Where Salvation acts as both sequel and prequel. If only Salvation had been better, I do think it this best of the non-Cameron films.

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its unfortunately that they didn't continue on after Genisys, That one had a Skynet that came from an alternate timeline, a Skynet that took a humanoid form.
https://terminator.fandom.com/wiki/T-5000
Old 12-22-2022, 12:09 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

I saw a tweet about Cameron wanting to reboot the franchise, I've been interested in new Terminator movie news previously but I don't realy care now. I also don't like what they did to Connor in that last movie, felt like it made T2 all for nothing.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:14 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I saw a tweet about Cameron wanting to reboot the franchise, I've been interested in new Terminator movie news previously but I don't realy care now. I also don't like what they did to Connor in that last movie, felt like it made T2 all for nothing.
Of course. In the same way Genisys did "You guys liked T1 and T2, right? Well guest what? THEY NEVER HAPPENED now! Or happened radically differently, but don't matter now." Dark Fate went a step further as to even make SkyNET not matter. The machines in Dark Fate weren't connected to Cyberdyne or anything. Both made John Connor irrelevant, dead, or a villain. Which is a weird bit of pasta. In both cases, both playing to their fans while at the same time hurling poo at them with the same hand.

The best loop was what T3 introduced, whether intentionally or not. It created a self-perpetuating loop of two different Judgement Days. Forevermore. And perfectly. I've explained before but would gladly again... it's pretty straight stuff. But Terminator movies after T3 needed to avoid time travel like the plague. They didn't.

Genisys had two big things working against it: PG-13 and casting. Dark Fate had script and general premise (SkyNET doesn't matter and neither did anything in T1 and T2 even though we're supposedly honoring them. Also, we're really mad about border control so a lot of border patrol should die because it should be open). Which is a far bigger thing.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-22-2022 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:03 PM   #6
Sumac
Banned

So what's the point?
Terminator is known for, well, Terminators. Take it away and it would be just another generic story about machines uprising against humans.

I don't doubt, Cameron would be able to execute it well, but why tie it to the franchise that was beaten to death and beyond? He certainly have enough clout (so far) to make it work as a separate project. Unless he wants to show everyone how its done.

Though given track record of old creators returning to their stories (Ridley Scott and Alien, Shane Black and THE Predator) and given lukewarm reaction at Avatar 2, I have my doubts to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The best loop was what T3 introduced, whether intentionally or not. It created a self-perpetuating loop of two different Judgement Days. Forevermore. And perfectly. I've explained before but would gladly again... it's pretty straight stuff. But Terminator movies after T3 needed to avoid time travel like the plague. They didn't.
Can give you a cliff notes about your idea of a T3 timeloop, please?
I think, I might have read it, sometime ago, but it was too much time ago for me to recall it.

As for John Connor, I find it hilarious, that supposedly main character of the franchise, dies (or was supposed to die in OG script to Salvation) in all sequel movies. Its like writers are afraid of utilizing Connor in a straightforward manner and need constantly to do something to him. And if in T3 it was kinda justified and ultimately averted, in the rest of the movies it feels dumb. Its like telling the same joke over and over, just worse with each time.

I felt like Genisys had potential (if it was not for the shoddy casting and some out of place comedy). At least, if you still want to do something with time travel outside of "hunter and hunted" premise. Like this movie pretty much establishes SkyNet and "someone" playing time travel chess with terminators, kind of an interesting premise, if it was better executed.

There is also "Terminator Multiverse" established in the Sarah Connor Chronicles, so time travel in Terminator can be something more interesting. The problem is to use it right.

Last edited by Sumac; 12-22-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:06 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

I wasn't aware there were already 6 Terminator films. I thought there were only 3 or maybe 4 at best.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:53 PM   #8
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Though given track record of old creators returning to their stories (Ridley Scott and Alien, Shane Black and THE Predator) and given lukewarm reaction at Avatar 2, I have my doubts to be honest.
How was Shane Black the creator of Predator? He's only credited as an actor in the first one. Also was the reaction to Avatar 2 really lukewarm? Because I checked the reviews and they seem to be mostly postive.
Xav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:29 AM   #9
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I wasn't aware there were already 6 Terminator films. I thought there were only 3 or maybe 4 at best.
If it makes things easier for you, nothing after Judgement Day is really worth watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
How was Shane Black the creator of Predator? He's only credited as an actor in the first one. Also was the reaction to Avatar 2 really lukewarm? Because I checked the reviews and they seem to be mostly postive.
I had a quick look and yeah nothing, I could've sworn he worked as a script doctor or made some uncredited rewrites. But I can't see anything online to collaborate this.

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:02 AM   #10
frank_one
Mad Scientist

"Terminator" is not an appealing name anymore. Let it rest for a decade or more and maybe then viewers will have the last two horrible movies removed from their memory and will again be willing to pay for something with the name "Terminator" on it. Right now "Terminator" means "junk".
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:56 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Can give you a cliff notes about your idea of a T3 timeloop, please?
Here's the gist of it, "linearly":

Step 1: 1997 - Judgement Day. SkyNET goes live.
Step 2: 2029 - SkyNET loses to TechCOM forces. Sends back T-800 to kill Sarah Connor before John is born.
Step 3: 1984 - Sarah and Kyle Reese destroy the T-800 but leave the CPU to be found by Cyberdyne Systems.
Step 4: 1995 - CyberDyne Systems is destroyed by Sarah, John, and a reprogrammed T-800.
Step 5: 1997 - Judgement Day does not happen.
Step 6: 2032 - With TechCOM, John defeats SkyNET... but then is killed when he sees a T-800 with the T101 skin. SkyNET sends back a T-X to kill John's "generals" to 2004 so Kate sends back the murderous T-800, now reprogrammed.
Step 7: 2004 - Cyber Research Systems (CRS) who inherited the T-800 data from CyberDyne Systems, cause Judgement Day when they bring SkyNET live.
Step 8: 2029 - Back to Step 2. And Future John isn't killed by a Terminator with the T101 skin because this John is ready for it.

That is just basic version of it. And I'm probably forgetting important details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by member_removed View Post
I had a quick look and yeah nothing, I could've sworn he worked as a script doctor or made some uncredited rewrites.
Yeah, he did. That's how he got the part, largely for convenience's sake with the script doctoring as they went.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-27-2022 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:

Step 1: 1997 - Judgement Day. SkyNET goes live.
Step 2: 2029 - SkyNET loses to TechCOM forces. Sends back T-800 to kill Sarah Connor before John is born.
Step 3: 1984 - Sarah and Kyle Reese destroy the T-800 but leave the CPU to be found by Cyberdyne Systems.
Step 4: 1995 - CyberDyne Systems is destroyed by Sarah, John, and a reprogrammed T-800.
Step 5: 1997 - Judgement Day does not happen.
Step 6: 2032 - With TechCOM, John defeats SkyNET... but then is killed when he sees a T-800 with the T101 skin. SkyNET sends back a T-X to kill John's "generals" to 2004 so Kate sends back the murderous T-800, now reprogrammed.
Step 7: 2004 - Cyber Research Systems (CRS) who inherited the T-800 data from CyberDyne Systems, cause Judgement Day when they bring SkyNET live.
Step 8: 2029 - Back to Step 2. And Future John isn't killed by a Terminator with the T101 skin because this John is ready for it.

That is just basic version of it. And I'm probably forgetting important details.

Yeah, he did. That's how he got the part, largely for convenience's sake with the script doctoring as they went.
There is a new timeline that was created from Terminator: Dark Face, In which an AI called Legion, Which is the successor to Skynet.

That timeline was the result of a Terminator who successfully killed John back in the 90s, and the new future's resistance leader was a woman.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:14 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
There is a new timeline that was created from Terminator: Dark Face, In which an AI called Legion, Which is the successor to Skynet.

That timeline was the result of a Terminator who successfully killed John back in the 90s, and the new future's resistance leader was a woman.
I know. It's sh**.
Old 12-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #14
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I know. It's sh**.
I enjoyed it besides people calling it woke, But whatever, It is what it is.
Old 12-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I enjoyed it besides people calling it woke, But whatever, It is what it is.
The woke stuff aside it was horrible. "Remember Sarah Connor and John Connor? And how good the first two Terminator movies were? Guess what! Now Sarah and John and those movies don't matter at all! In fact, we're going to kill John! And SkyNET itself? Not relevant anymore! Aren't you excited about this movie now??!?!"

It's just a bizarre series of choices. And Genisys did a similar thing, too. They make it like a nostalgia trip for T1 and T2 fans... while at the same time wiping T1 and T2 out from continuity during the movie. It's just weird.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
The woke stuff aside it was horrible. "Remember Sarah Connor and John Connor? And how good the first two Terminator movies were? Guess what! Now Sarah and John and those movies don't matter at all! In fact, we're going to kill John! And SkyNET itself? Not relevant anymore! Aren't you excited about this movie now??!?!"

It's just a bizarre series of choices. And Genisys did a similar thing, too. They make it like a nostalgia trip for T1 and T2 fans... while at the same time wiping T1 and T2 out from continuity during the movie. It's just weird.
The problem with the Terminator movies, Its just a retread of the first one, Every movie had the same plot, Just different situations and different timelines.
Old 12-30-2022, 05:20 PM   #17
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Thanks.

But I wonder: is this timeline takes into account that OG Skynet should have been rewritten with a SkyNet from 2004 and when does it send T800 and T1000 to the 1984 and 1991, respectively?

Because, if events of T1 is a regular timeloop, it should have been broken by events of T2 (though it does not effect existence of John Connor, for some reason).

Assuming those events were reinstated by SkyNet 2004 (via it being somehow aware of them or via information supplied by TX and trying to keep timeline intact), it still would've mean that those are not the same Kyle Reese and T800 from T1. And what about events of T2? Do they count as a timeloop, specifically recreated by SkyNet 2004 to keep its existence intact?

Time travel is one heck of a minefield for theories.

Genesys and Dark Fart doesn't count. As much as Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Genesys specifically is a reboot, where SkyNet and someone else playing chess via time travel, SCC is a mess involving "multiverse" and Dark Fart is, well, a fart.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:03 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Savage, Arnold flat out says "Genisys" and "Dark Fate" weren't written well.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/schwarz...th-terminator/
Old 05-16-2023, 05:18 PM   #19
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Savage, Arnold flat out says "Genisys" and "Dark Fate" weren't written well.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/schwarz...th-terminator/
Can he return money for all the fans in the world who saw them?
Old 05-16-2023, 10:48 PM   #20
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:

I wonder if they were trying to copy the success of the Star Wars sequels? Follow the plots of the previous films. Kill off the hero of the old films, having the new lead be a young women, having a "new" villain whose exactly the same as the old villain except with a different name.
Xav is online now   Reply With Quote