The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow, good work on the digging! So tempted to look through it... but if I likely go see it together with my nephew and mom, I prob aught to wait so I'm at least not entirely bored already knowing too much. Movie trailers too often eventually give away too much as it is.

After we finally got that teaser trailer and saw a handful of the toys I'd considered asking where is that giant whale creature from that old piece of concept art?? I guess the mashed together mutant is presumably it? (Really, we need a toy... made to scale based on that concept. lol)

Typical allies as villains... Weird. I feel like they just watched 1/4 of the first Mondo appearance (in FW) and missed that he becomes an ally after that. Also very strange if Superfly is not Baxter.

No Rat King as rumored, huh? Unless he's there but become one of the villains Paramount+ does spin-off movies for, IF they are related to this film.

Poor Shredder RPer is gonna be so mad. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-21-2023 at 04:28 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #22
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That can't possibly be real, can it? Seriously? There's no way.
May I ask what element in particular you find so unbelievable? That there is a character named "Utrom" without any direct implication that she's an alien? That Bebop and Rocksteady were normal animals instead of human thugs? That characters who are normally depicted as good or unaligned are straight up villains? That basically all of them are going to revert back to being normal animals, including Bebop and Rocksteady, thereby removing them any sequel plans? That the main villain is a fly creature made up for this movie?

I guess it's slightly surprising that the movie will contain that many deviations from the "norm", but none of them seem that unusual to me individually. I already suspected that Bebop and Rocksteady might have started out as a pig and a rhino, and I knew it was likely that most of the mutants were just going to be treated like disposable villains. But even with all of them in one movie, nothing here really seemed like it would be out of the question.

So again, what in particular seems so off to you?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:41 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I mean... the overall plot is a guy named "Supa-Fly" who's a fly who wants to "fuse" mutants together and turn the world into a "mutant haven"? I'm not saying I'd necessarily put it past TPTB to concoct such a story but... wow. Have we really fallen this far? It sounds like the kind of plot a 5 year-old would come up with, and maybe that's even the point.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:43 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I mean... the overall plot is a guy named "Supa-Fly" who's a fly who wants to "fuse" mutants together and turn the world into a "mutant haven"? I'm not saying I'd necessarily put it past TPTB to concoct such a story but... wow. Have we really fallen this far? It sounds like the kind of plot a 5 year-old would come up with, and maybe that's even the point.
Isn't that what Old Hob from the comic wanted to do?
Old 03-21-2023, 04:48 PM   #25
oldmanwinters
Overlord

According to the boards, April still moves pretty well for ….
Nah, I better stop myself right there.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:54 PM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
He wanted to make the world full of mutants, nothing about fusing animals together though.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
No clue. I bailed fairly early into things.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:26 PM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

... Heh... I just realised, if Super Fly is going to be voiced by Ice Cube...
Spoiler:
"Fuck the utroms comin' straight from the underground
A Young mutant got it bad 'cause I'm fly
And not the other bug so police think
They have the authority to cure an experiment
Fuck that shit, 'cause I ain't the one
For a punk motherfucker with a coat and a vial
To be beatin' on, and thrown in jail
We can go toe-to-toe in the middle of a cell
Super Fly will swarm
On any motherfucker in a white uniform
Just 'cause I'm from TCRI, punk utroms are afraid of me
A young mutant on a warpath
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a bloodbath!"
Hahahaha!
Old 03-21-2023, 05:34 PM   #29
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Does this seriously sound worse to you than the PD films' non-plot or TMNT 2007? Not saying this is good or anything but when you say 'fallen' there needs to be something to fall from.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #30
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
but when you say 'fallen' there needs to be something to fall from.
lol Can't fall anymore, now we're...

Also, I feel mocked. Looking for "rolling on floor" gifs and the site that one came from was a page of "rofl" gifs... and damn it if the first one wasn't Seth Rogen laughing.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:46 PM   #31
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

This is so far removed from TMNT's "base," even more than Rise in some ways, that it genuinely feels like they took all the proper nouns from TMNT and grafted them onto a completely different movie.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:00 PM   #32
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Typical allies as villains... Weird. I feel like they just watched 1/4 of the first Mondo appearance (in FW) and missed that he becomes an ally after that. Also very strange if Superfly is not Baxter.

No Rat King as rumored, huh? Unless he's there but become one of the villains Paramount+ does spin-off movies for, IF they are related to this film.

Poor Shredder RPer is gonna be so mad. lol

The Rat King wasn't just rumoured he was explicitly mentioned in the previous storyboards and seemed to indicate he was a big part of the story. I don't doubt these and the previous leaked storyboards are real however it could be they are from an earlier iteration of the movie.

Personally I wouldn't be too certain Shredder wont be the villain in this. Either as a post credit scene to show he's the real mastermind behind it all like they did with Thanos in Avengers or he's the main villain they are just not revealed him yet.

Granted Nickelodeon has never felt it has to especially faithful to any previous iteration but it seems strange how much this is explicitly based on the '87 series and toyline only to deviate from it in pretty important ways. Bebop and Rocksteady start out as animals and have no connection to the Shredder, all the mutants are villains apart from Scumbug (always a very clear villain) the main antagonist is a fly mutant that isn't even Baxter Stockman?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:17 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Does this seriously sound worse to you than the PD films' non-plot or TMNT 2007? Not saying this is good or anything but when you say 'fallen' there needs to be something to fall from.
Honestly... yes? It's similar to 2007 in the sense that this has a lot of mutants and 2007 had a lot of monsters and were pretty "busy," and it's similar to 2014 in that the bad guy has an evil plan that will effect the whole city, but that's where the similarities end. This seems like an unbridled "Wah-HOOOO! Let's just do whatever!" nonsense-gasm of the worst kind.

Something like "Rise of the TMNT" can skate by under the radar at large but this movie is going to do real harm and a fresh coat of radioactive paint to the TMNT as a property as something that isn't a sham for another 10 years.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:39 PM   #34
vexdar
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The Rat King wasn't just rumoured he was explicitly mentioned in the previous storyboards and seemed to indicate he was a big part of the story. I don't doubt these and the previous leaked storyboards are real however it could be they are from an earlier iteration of the movie.

Personally I wouldn't be too certain Shredder wont be the villain in this. Either as a post credit scene to show he's the real mastermind behind it all like they did with Thanos in Avengers or he's the main villain they are just not revealed him yet.

Granted Nickelodeon has never felt it has to especially faithful to any previous iteration but it seems strange how much this is explicitly based on the '87 series and toyline only to deviate from it in pretty important ways. Bebop and Rocksteady start out as animals and have no connection to the Shredder, all the mutants are villains apart from Scumbug (always a very clear villain) the main antagonist is a fly mutant that isn't even Baxter Stockman?
What if Rat King is Splinter? I could see the writers looking through a summary of Rat King and deciding to just fuse him with Splinter (A rat that can control other rats). Maybe April assumes Splinter is doing something bad which leads to a huge misunderstanding between Splinter and April. Perhaps this is why Splinter seems to dislike April in the other leaks.
vexdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:55 PM   #35
Hamato_Clan
Random Punk

The plot sounds as wacky as the 2007 film. If it’s as cohesive then I guess that’s win.
Hamato_Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:58 PM   #36
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Does this seriously sound worse to you than the PD films' non-plot or TMNT 2007?
Yes to TMNT 2007 - it was crowded, but at last not with known characters and otherwise straightforward.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexdar View Post
What if Rat King is Splinter?
Oh no.

Why is it I am not finding that impossible. Gender swapping, alliance swapping... why not swap out the bio resume, too.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #38
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

No need to say anything, really.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:34 AM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 2007 movie used Max Winters and Stone Generals, but all 4 Stone Generals were generic and Max Winters was just a Lex Luthor type character, so the plot was straight forward. All those random 13 monsters were mostly background fodder, the only one they gave focus to is the bigfoot monster, all the others were captured off-screen.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #40
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Somedays, I feel like most movie plots today are AI generated.

But the more I see of AI generated content, the more I think it could do a better job than the current Hollywood braintrust.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote