The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-03-2023, 07:54 PM   #1
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo: WhenWhere #2

So Tomoe tells the turtles that she is glad to meet them for the first time (“hajimemashite”), yet she did in fact meet Leonardo in Stan Sakai’s one-shot “The Treaty” which was published in the 1989 graphic novel “Shell Shock”. Then again, she may be speaking to Leo’s brothers and not Leo, himself.

Leo: Jotaro looks enough like you to be your son, Usagi!

Jotaro: Ha ha that’s ridiculous!

Usagi:

Spoiler:
Of course Jotaro has always known that Usagi is his real father, and if this series is in fact a prequel to “Senso”, Usagi will soon find out that they both knew
Old 05-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #2
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

I haven't read the other IDW usagi crossover but I actually also thought Usagi was referring to them meeting in the mirage era. I need to get caught up on my Usagi lore....

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #3
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJuicyBurgers View Post
I haven't read the other IDW usagi crossover but I actually also thought Usagi was referring to them meeting in the mirage era. I need to get caught up on my Usagi lore....
I think these are in fact the Mirage Turtles, despite them wearing multi-colored masks instead of them all wearing red masks

Keep in mind, in the IDW universe, Mikey is the only one who can speak Japanese, but in this issue all four of them can perfectly understand Usagi and the others.

Plus before the Turtles were teleported to Usagi’s world, a certain yellow-mask-wearing turtle wasn’t there with them. If they were in fact the IDW Turtles, she’d be hanging around them like the token that she is.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:26 PM   #4
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

At the end of the day, while I think Senso is a good story, I REALLY hope it's not the canon ending. Call me a sap, but I'd prefer a happier ending if possible. On the other hand, if Stan Sakai dies before ever bringing it to a close, then we have Senso to serve as the ending.

But dangit, I want Tomoe and Usagi to be together, arranged marriage be damned!
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:53 AM   #5
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I think these are in fact the Mirage Turtles, despite them wearing multi-colored masks instead of them all wearing red masks

Keep in mind, in the IDW universe, Mikey is the only one who can speak Japanese, but in this issue all four of them can perfectly understand Usagi and the others.

Plus before the Turtles were teleported to Usagi’s world, a certain yellow-mask-wearing turtle wasn’t there with them. If they were in fact the IDW Turtles, she’d be hanging around them like the token that she is.
Nope, these are definitely the IDW turtles. Mikey references the events of the previous crossover on page 23.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:09 AM   #6
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Should certainly be interesting to see where this story could be placed in the hardcovers, then. (Since the first crossover was.) Especially with the IDW Turtles being so busy lately and this WhereWhen guy never having been previously established.
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #7
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Nope, these are definitely the IDW turtles. Mikey references the events of the previous crossover on page 23.
Oh. My bad.

Still, no Jennika. That’s good enough for me.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:19 AM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I admit I had a hard time giving it my full appreciation because I had no idea who any of the characters were aside from Usagi and Gen. It's because I know of Usagi as a TMNT ally above anything else. It's like we were expected to know the characters and what was going on within it's own continuity. Typically crossovers gives brief character bios and hangs loose with continuity to allow different fandoms to enjoy it. I understand that Usagi's girlfriend is in an arranged marriage, but I read from your discussion here that Usagi has a kid with his ex-girlfriend? Is there a way to get a briefing on who is who in Usagi's world without reading the comics to allow greater appreciation and easier to follow?
Old 05-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Usagi had so many crossovers by now I am surprised people do not know Usagi's supporting cast.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 11:30 AM   #10
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I admit I had a hard time giving it my full appreciation because I had no idea who any of the characters were aside from Usagi and Gen. It's because I know of Usagi as a TMNT ally above anything else. It's like we were expected to know the characters and what was going on within it's own continuity. Typically crossovers gives brief character bios and hangs loose with continuity to allow different fandoms to enjoy it. I understand that Usagi's girlfriend is in an arranged marriage, but I read from your discussion here that Usagi has a kid with his ex-girlfriend? Is there a way to get a briefing on who is who in Usagi's world without reading the comics to allow greater appreciation and easier to follow?
Well let's see...

The comic is set at the beginning of the Edo period of Japan, shortly after the Tokugawa Shogunate has been established. With the Shogun's peace upon the land, there's a surplus of samurai who no longer have work for various reasons. Some got new work, some are doing the whole "warrior's journey" thing like Usagi, and some have become vagabound thugs.

Usagi is a ronin*. He's been that way ever since the battle of Adichigahara, wherein his lord, Mifune, was killed. He was raised in a small village somewhere and has a rivalry wth the village chief, and who was his romantic rival with Mariko, who married the other guy. He's got a son named Jotaro, who is his actual son by Mariko, but raised by her and the other guy who's name I'm blanking on. Long story short, both know that they're really father and son, but both think that the other doesn't know and both act like they don't know out of respect for the other, so it's this constant thing.

There's a lot of characters, but the most important are probably:

Gen, the rhino bounty hunter with gruff exterior, son of a disgraced samurai, and one of Usagi's closest friends after several excursions brought them together. Gen also has a penchant for taking shortcuts that totally backfire.

Kitsune, the fox theif, who also has an apprentice named Kiyoko, who she took under her wing. She's a talented street who's also a very talented theif, which she learned at first to get by due to her tragic backstory that I won't relate here, and now just does it partly for survival, and partly for the fun of it. They're friends, but he knows to be wary of her.

Chizu, the former head of the Neko ninja clan. See, originally her brother was the leader, but then he died in this whole gunpower thing, and she took over, but this one douche, Kazemaru, didn't like taking orders from a woman, and worked with Lord Hebi, the snake guy who works for Lord Hikiji, the only human and the greater scope villain of the comic, to oust Chizu so he could take over the clan himself. Now she's on the run, trying to rebuild her powerbase with loyalists to eventually take the clan back, and in the meantime is a sort of antiheroic ally to Usagi. And if you thought that was a lot of information all at once, yes.

There's also Tomoe, the main bodyguard of Lord Noriyuki, who's a panda child that took over his clan after his parents died, and who is a lot more progressive for the time. Usagi has helped them many times and is a close friend, and also has this ongoing romantic thing with Tomoe, which is threatened because this one douchebag doesn't like that a woman is his superior, and also he was involved in this whole family honor coverup thing like in that one episode of Next Generation with Worf, which she nearly exposed, but was unable to because of politics. Anyways, he basically got Noriyuki to arrange a marriage for her, which he thought was a great idea, and she went along with it out of loyalty, even though ironically he would probably call it off if she told him her feelings about it, but she hasn't, so he didn't, and that one guy gets her out of the way, and Usagi and she are sad about it.

There's also Yukichi, who's a new addition. There's not as much to say about him, but bascially he's Usagi's cousin that he happened to run in to, and they've been travelling together for a while. The most notable thing about him right now is that Jei didn't kill him, and so far the only people Jei doesn't kill are potential hosts, so that's kind of omnious.

Also, Jei is some sort of demonic entity that's been possessing people, unwittingly summoned by a priest to save his temple from some thugs, and Jei is on his third host by now. He travels around with a creepy child, and he's basically Usagi's personal arch nemesis. Jei's whole deal is killing people who aren't "pure" and ridding the world of evil, but he serves evil gods, so that basically includes everyone.

Who else, who else... Oh yeah, inspecter Ishida. He's this police inspector on very good terms with Usagi, and they've helped each other solve crimes on many occassions. Unlike the usually corrupt police force, he's incredibly honorable, and dedicated to justice, which naturally makes his superiors pissed off at him. He's also got this rivalry with this ninja guy, but it's not very important.

Also, Lord Hikiji is a daimyo who's trying to become shogun, and using a bunch of underhanded conspiracies to do so. Also, he's the guy who killed Lord Mifune.

As of late, there's been this ongoing subplot of Usagi considering settlling down, growing tired of wandering all the time.

I could keep going, but this seems like enough. There's way too much of this comic to summarize in one post anyways. Also, there's ghosts and demons and yokai, a demon hunter guy named Sauke, this other dude Sanshobo who we haven't seen in a really long time, and Usagi somehow ends up at the center of various plots to overthrow the shogun or whatever. Even thought there's almost 300 issues by now, it's a remarkably quick read, and the've been reprinting the larger books, so I'd give it a shot if you have the chance. It's one of the best comics I've ever read, and I can truly say that there are no bad issues. It's well researched, well written, surprisingly educational, well drawn, and very consistent.

*masterless samurai. If you're wondering why this footnote is here, then you haven't read very many Usagi Comics. Which I knew, but I wanted to do the joke anyway.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:53 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

So is Dr. WhereWhen meant to be an Utrom? He looks a lot like the endoskeleton of their android bodies.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #12
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
Should certainly be interesting to see where this story could be placed in the hardcovers, then. (Since the first crossover was.) Especially with the IDW Turtles being so busy lately and this WhereWhen guy never having been previously established.
Too soon to say for sure but between this crossover and the SF one I'm wondering if one or both would fit in earlier such as between issues #124 + 125.
Should have a clearer idea nearer the end of the year once both have concluded along with next arc (#140 - 145(ish)).
Also starting to lean toward AG being split across two volumes because of how massive it is.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:21 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I meant to post back,Cybercubed. Thank you! I don't need it for Batman, Power Rangers, or Ghostbusters, but Usagi no matter how many interactions Usagi interacts with most only know Gen from the 2003 cartoon and any screen time for other associates of Usagi didn't have enough to register.I wish Stan could have realized that and gave mini-bios.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:14 PM   #14
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I meant to post back,Cybercubed. Thank you! I don't need it for Batman, Power Rangers, or Ghostbusters, but Usagi no matter how many interactions Usagi interacts with most only know Gen from the 2003 cartoon and any screen time for other associates of Usagi didn't have enough to register.I wish Stan could have realized that and gave mini-bios.
I feel betrayed. Cubed gets all the credit for MY post? The nerve! The indignity! The... some other third word!

I jest. (No seriously, It's a joke, don't take it seriously, happy to do it! I love talking about Usagi, and the opportunity doesn't present itself very often).