The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-11-2023, 10:35 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mortal Kombat 1 (MK12)

Sounds like Mortal Kombat 12 will be another reboot?

https://www.darkhorizons.com/mortal-...reboot-teased/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sounds like Mortal Kombat 12 will be another reboot?

https://www.darkhorizons.com/mortal-...reboot-teased/
With how MK11 ended and the Aftermath DLC ending, The next one would have to be a reboot.

The Aftermath Story DLC has two endings, a Shang Tsung and a Liu Kang ending.

In Liu Kang ending, He goes back in time to help train a young Kung Lao.

So its possible the story in MK12 will pick after this, Which would make it a reboot because Liu Kang reset the timeline.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 05-11-2023 at 11:21 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:09 PM   #3
Sumac
Banned

Possibility of it being a reboot makes me want to vomit. NRS are ****ing dumb**** cowards who are so afraid to move on from classic era of MK that they NEED to reboot ****ing series after third game in a new timeline. Even Street Fighter moved on from SF2 and it was the most conservative series, with its characters and roster, next to Tekken. NRS despite making games, which are for more successful and high budget, still afraid to do anything, but regurgitate the same **** again and again.

This dumb****ery trashshittery is embarrassing. I was into MK because of its story and MK11 shat all over it. Now MK12 (1) whatever the **** it is?) gonna make a control shot in the head of the series. We already had like two games describing events of MK1, two movies, two cartoons, maybe that is enough?

I will give it a chance to interest me, if they make something smart with the story. But at this point, I feel they have created such a convoluted trash ****ing mess of retcons, rewrites, changes, timelines and **** what not, that there is no way they can do something interesting and coherent and don't **** it up.

I guess, I only buy this game, if it has a good gameplay anyway. Its story is finished (as in killed by ****** writers) for all I care, might just get some mindless fun out of it. But if its anything like garbage stiff clunky dumptruck****mess of MK11 - no go.

Sorry, for the rant, but MK series was close and dear to my heart since my childhood and seeing it gutted for the sake of dumb**** nostalgia is gut wrenching. They could **** up story, but at least leave gameplay closer to classic games, as in fun and accessible, instead of pandering to FGC, who largely still don't give a **** about MK anyway and won't give a **** about it, because, MK fundamentally different from most other fighting game.

What I'd like to see in MK12/1:
- story - don't give a ****. I suspect it will be another retelling of MK1, but half way through the story we will be introduced to characters and elements from MK9-11 and the whole thing will become usual NRS shitshow - epic, but absolutely meaningless narratively or otherwise. Expect swarm of retcons and personality changes out of nowhere ****. Not interested.

Gameplay:
- speed up gameplay
- remove variations. I don't want to play as 1/3 or 2/3 of character anymore
- re-introduce run. Ether via separate button or double tap and hold forward. Not like in MKX.
- return single supermeter. No more double meter ********. Also, bring back X-Ray and Combo-Breakers.
- no more killing blows. They are basically RNG crap and so heavily depend on character, they give inherent advantage to some characters while completely useless for others. Or make them universal across all characters instead
- interactive objects can stay

- no more random loot and microtransactions in Krypt. Leave this lootbox **** to Overwatch. Oh, wait...
- bring back normal alternate costumes, instead of palette swap crap
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 12:39 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
cowards who are so afraid to move on from classic era of MK that they NEED to reboot ****ing series after third game in a new timeline. Even Street Fighter moved on from SF2 and it was the most conservative series,
well the reboot MK9 retold the first 3 games, MKX was moving forward not adapting the 3D era games. But fans complained and since they had already done a time jump had to do time travel to please old fans but even then the storyline was moving on more than Street Fighter.

I do agree another reboot is BS, but I didn't really like the reboot storyline too much so it's ok. Though I don't think it's retelling of MK1, Ed Boon has been hinting for months this will take place during the Great Kung Lao era, so before the first game, so while I"m sure they'll get to the MKTrilogy era in the sequel, at least the first game should be different enough. I wonder if Scorpion's great great great grand son will show up with his Dragon tattoo.

Quote:
Even Street Fighter moved on from SF2 and it was the most conservative series,
Did they really?
They moved on with 3 which was a huge failure so they quickly made Street Fighter Alpha 3 which added the whole SSFIIT cast that was missing. In fact even the Street Fighter Alpha series turned into SFII. Then later revisions to SFIII added more SFII characters like akuma, chun-li etc. And because they moved on they killed the franchise.
SFIV and it's bajillion different rereleases was basically SFII again with Bison and the SFII cast back taking place before SFIII. SFV came out and again it was another "before SFIII" game with the SFII cast. I think SF6 is finally the first game taking place after SFIII but it'll likely be mostly SFII again.

Basically fighting games died when they tried to move on, and the fighting community just wants new games with the old tired cast so that's why we get the same stuff over and over.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:09 PM   #5
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
well the reboot MK9 retold the first 3 games, MKX was moving forward not adapting the 3D era games. But fans complained and since they had already done a time jump had to do time travel to please old fans but even then the storyline was moving on more than Street Fighter.
NRS could ignore this crap and just do whatever they wanted, but as usual they have overcorrected. Its their normal work mode.

Quote:
I do agree another reboot is BS, but I didn't really like the reboot storyline too much so it's ok. Though I don't think it's retelling of MK1, Ed Boon has been hinting for months this will take place during the Great Kung Lao era, so before the first game, so while I"m sure they'll get to the MKTrilogy era in the sequel, at least the first game should be different enough. I wonder if Scorpion's great great great grand son will show up with his Dragon tattoo.
I don't like new timeline either, but MKX made it work more or less. And finally moved story forward. MK11 ****ed up everything and MK12 gonna dial everything back again and for what? For another reboot down the line? Besides, this time, NRS will be saddled with elements of two timelines at the same time.

They either should make reboot, which doesn't acknowledge past timelines at all or it will be a traditional NRS over convoluted mess. And it will be since they will pander to old school fans and will include elements of past timelines in the story.

Quote:
Did they really?
Yes, I am talking about SF6.

Quote:
They moved on with 3 which was a huge failure so they quickly made Street Fighter Alpha 3 which added the whole SSFIIT cast that was missing. In fact even the Street Fighter Alpha series turned into SFII. Then later revisions to SFIII added more SFII characters like akuma, chun-li etc. And because they moved on they killed the franchise.
SF: New Generation was planned to be a spin-off and was made into SF3 only after fans threw a hissy fit about lack of Ryu and Ken in the Street Fighter game. And, because, Capcom plan for the original SF3 (which has ended up as Street Fighter: The Movie) failed on its face.

So, in this case "moving on" was forced by outside circumstances. And, yeah, because, of it SF4 and SF5 were kind of retreat of SF2, much for the same reason MK9 was remake of MK1-3.

Better example would be SoulCalibur 5, which replaced most of the (female) characters with their pupils and copycats, which effectively killed the series and necessitated a complete reboot.

Quote:
Basically fighting games died when they tried to move on, and the fighting community just wants new games with the old tired cast so that's why we get the same stuff over and over.
Fighting games can move on, but it requires either consistent quality or moving forward on little by little, like Tekken does.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:14 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mmh, you guys won't like my thoughts about SF but I'm very curious about what they're doing with 6. MK had a lot of growth over admittedly maybe TOO many games (MK was never gone long enough for anyone to miss it), ending with Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. Now it's just greatest hits stuff back in a 2D engine, with time travel malarkey in the mix and Robocop and Rambo, lol! With MK, I'd be very happy if they returned it to being a 3D fighter without the frills this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
With how MK11 ended and the Aftermath DLC ending, The next one would have to be a reboot.

I'd already forgotten about that. Yeah, I guess it was rather setup that way. I think we're going to end up with mostly some kind of a pseudo prequel and not a real reboot/remake or anything, though. "We're changing the timelines!" stuff is a pretty weird thing to keep doing over and over again, though. We saw how much the fans loved that in the Terminator series.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:15 PM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Mmh, you guys won't like my thoughts about SF but I'm very curious about what they're doing with 6.
LOL.
But SF6 will be probably most single-player content rich SF in history with the whole single-player "Yakuza-like" open world mode.
I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know about its gameplay, but I've heard its better than SFV.

Quote:
With MK, I'd be very happy if they returned it to being a 3D fighter without the frills this time.
Unlikely.
NRS found their niche and will work inside it, changing stuff here and there.
I will be extremely surprised, if they return for 3D outside of spin-offs (whenever they are appear) or modes.

Quote:
I'd already forgotten about that. Yeah, I guess it was rather setup that way. I think we're going to end up with mostly some kind of a pseudo prequel and not a real reboot/remake or anything, though. "We're changing the timelines!" stuff is a pretty weird thing to keep doing over and over again, though. We saw how much the fans loved that in the Terminator series.
In MK its even worse, since Terminator reboots didn't acknowledged previous movies, outside the first two, MK, however, acknowledges EVERYTHING. And they introduce changes to previous stuff with no rhyme or reason (Sindel retcon, Mileena retcons).
Old 05-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

https://www.darkhorizons.com/mortal-...ement-trailer/

"“Mortal Kombat 1” begins with “a reborn Mortal Kombat Universe that has been created by the Fire God Liu Kang” according to the developer, along with “reimagined versions of iconic characters”."

September 19th.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:32 AM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

They're rebooting the series again? Really? I haven't played MK11, but is there really a need for this?

Also, Liu Kang is a god who created the world? What? I don't like the sound of this.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
They're rebooting the series again? Really? I haven't played MK11, but is there really a need for this?
Guess their writers is as creatively bankrupt as their peers in a Hollywood.
This time it seems reboot seemingly will be complete, as in it will be a totally new world, so at least it won't be the same events again. But I still don't see why they needed to do that.
Its not like their mythology won't get complicated over time and would necessitated another reboot and so on.

Quote:
Also, Liu Kang is a god who created the world? What? I don't like the sound of this.
It was in the story mode of MK11. Rare garbage.

In general, I am interested in a gameplay only. Story has been finished, I don't care anymore about that ****, since I am interested in characters progression, not "seeing old characters in a new setting". Its not like MK gaes released every year or so.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:29 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Guess their writers is as creatively bankrupt as their peers in a Hollywood.
This time it seems reboot seemingly will be complete, as in it will be a totally new world, so at least it won't be the same events again. But I still don't see why they needed to do that.
Its not like their mythology won't get complicated over time and would necessitated another reboot and so on.

It was in the story mode of MK11. Rare garbage.

In general, I am interested in a gameplay only. Story has been finished, I don't care anymore about that ****, since I am interested in characters progression, not "seeing old characters in a new setting". Its not like MK gaes released every year or so.
A shame. I've always been fine with the story of the early MK games. Seeing it in action with cutscenes in MK9 was pretty cool. I really like that game and would rather play it over the classics these days.

Haven't played X yet I'm afraid. I've seen and read things about it. I could ha r done without characters aging and becoming parents and their kids becoming fighters, but oh well.

I havent seen anything about MK11 yet. I'd not mind owning it Hut the Switch version is download only and it's a HUGE game fikebwith DLC and extra stuff.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:57 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Liu Kang became the Fire God surpassing Raiden as protector of Earthrealm in MK11's DLC story. It was actually really good and made Liu Kang the main hero of the franchise again, something he hadn't been in a long time. Liu Kang is now the God of Earthrealm while Raiden is just a normal mortal man.

As for this game, who knows how they'll handle it. I don't think it'll be a re-telling of MK1-Trilogy again for the millionth time, since it looks like many things are being changed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 04:07 AM   #13
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Haven't played X yet I'm afraid. I've seen and read things about it. I could ha r done without characters aging and becoming parents and their kids becoming fighters, but oh well.
MKX story is good and soulful, if a bit clumsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Liu Kang became the Fire God surpassing Raiden as protector of Earthrealm in MK11's DLC story. It was actually really good and made Liu Kang the main hero of the franchise again, something he hadn't been in a long time. Liu Kang is now the God of Earthrealm while Raiden is just a normal mortal man.
I am not against this twist, but it could have been handled much better. Outside of that element, pretty much every single thing in the story was either inconsistent or outright dumb.

Quote:
As for this game, who knows how they'll handle it. I don't think it'll be a re-telling of MK1-Trilogy again for the millionth time, since it looks like many things are being changed.
I am sure NRS will find a way to disappoint me.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:39 AM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Oh well, the most important thing in a fighting game is the gameplay. No one plays fighters for the story, let's face it. Even though MK generally puts more effort into its lore than your average Fighter.

Even if the story turns out a tad messy I'll be able to overlook it if the gameplay is a blast.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:59 AM   #15
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Oh well, the most important thing in a fighting game is the gameplay. No one plays fighters for the story, let's face it. Even though MK generally puts more effort into its lore than your average Fighter.

Even if the story turns out a tad messy I'll be able to overlook it if the gameplay is a blast.
MK fans generally love its story, but, yeah, in this case I am gonna buy the game only if gameplay is good.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:03 AM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Scorpion better be high tier. And this time don't lump him with Quan Chi. Never liked that weirdo.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:43 AM   #17
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Scorpion better be high tier. And this time don't lump him with Quan Chi. Never liked that weirdo.
Scorp is always high tier - he is devs darling and poster boy of the series.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:56 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Scorp is always high tier - he is devs darling and poster boy of the series.
I'm still not over him not being in the vanilla version of Mortal Kombat 3. I used to main Cyrax in that game because he was yellow like Scorpion lmao
Old 05-19-2023, 10:33 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

A large chunk of characters will just be Assists, basically like Assist Trophies in Smash Bros. and not playable characters.

There's bound to be an uproar when a lot of fan favorite characters get revealed just to be token Kameo assist characters rather than fully playable. I get the feeling most MK3 characters will be Assists and a lot of characters from the 3D era of MK4-PS2.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 01:06 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
A large chunk of characters will just be Assists, basically like Assist Trophies in Smash Bros. and not playable characters.
Fast forward two years and they'll all be playable. Little by little.