The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-18-2023, 10:57 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

The Nintendo DS and 3DS

I've been in a DS/3DS mood lately, which made me put aside the Switch for a while. There's still several good DS and 3DS games I haven't played or don't own yet.

Honestly, this was a pretty fun family of handheld systems Nintendo created. With the dual screen and touch controls. The fact you can play DS games on the 3DS and neither system is region locked is even better.

I also love the presentation and the features the 3DS has. Switch's home menu looks so dull in comparison.

I've spent hours on Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokémon games, Smash and Advance Wars on my 3DS. And then there's games you can beat in less than 30 hours but still have a lot of fun with such as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask remakes, A Link Between Worlds, the Fire Emblem games, Contra 4, NSMB, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, etc.

I haven't owned an original DS, so I play all my DS games on the 3DS. Meaning I've experienced both systems at the same time basically.

What are your memories from the DS and 3DS and yoyr favourite games?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

It totally was, as well as the Gameboy. One of my favourites through the handheld gen was the Mario & Luigi series. Played through all of them except Paper Jam. I actually got a hankering for some Dream Team now.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:06 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
It totally was, as well as the Gameboy. One of my favourites through the handheld gen was the Mario & Luigi series. Played through all of them except Paper Jam. I actually got a hankering for some Dream Team now.
I've only played Superstar Saga só far on the 3DS and that's a remake of a GBA game which played back when it came out. Fun game.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I still love my 3DS. I just recently purchased a few Gameboy VC games right before the Eshop went away. Unfortunately, the battery on my system doesn't seem to hold a good charge anymore.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:29 AM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
I still love my 3DS. I just recently purchased a few Gameboy VC games right before the Eshop went away. Unfortunately, the battery on my system doesn't seem to hold a good charge anymore.
I remember reading some eyars ago that, after 300 or so charges, the battery life shortens a bit.

300 is a lot, and there's no way I've been keeping track of how many times I've charged my 3DS. But I haven't noticed it getting worse yet. Then again, I don't think the 3DS battery life was ever that impressive. Everyone seems to say the original DS had a longer one. That being said, the 3DS battery life sure is better than the Switch one. But the Switch is hybrid system, anyway, so I guess that's to be expected
Old 05-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

The last 3 games I got on my 3DS were some of Nintendo's last releases for it:

Metroid II remake (came out in 2017)
Hey Pikmin (a 2D sidescrolling Pikmin game, it's pretty good)
Wario Ware Gold
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The last 3 games I got on my 3DS were some of Nintendo's last releases for it:

Metroid II remake (came out in 2017)
Hey Pikmin (a 2D sidescrolling Pikmin game, it's pretty good)
Wario Ware Gold
Weren't Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon also some of the last releases for the system?

I love the original GBA Wario Ware and Laos like Wario Ware Touched a lot. How does Gold compare to those?
Old 05-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #8
Icebot
Foot Elite

I still have my DS and 3DS. My first DS game was TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare. That was one of my favorites with the other favorite New Super Mario Bros.

My first 3DS game was Super Mario 3D Land. My favorites are Zelda OOT 3D, Mario Kart 7.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 02:52 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
I still have my DS and 3DS. My first DS game was TMNT 3 Mutant Nightmare. That was one of my favorites with the other favorite New Super Mario Bros.

My first 3DS game was Super Mario 3D Land. My favorites are Zelda OOT 3D, Mario Kart 7.
I haven't played any of the TMNT games on the DS/3DS. What's the best one?

My first 3DS game was Mario Kart 7. My second one was Super Mario 3D Land, iirc.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:00 PM   #10
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I haven't played any of the TMNT games on the DS/3DS. What's the best one?

My first 3DS game was Mario Kart 7. My second one was Super Mario 3D Land, iirc.
Danger of the Ooze is easily the best turtles 3ds/ds game. It is a fun metroidvania game involving the 2012 turtles. I recommend getting the Splinter's training pack which is a 2 games in 1 cartridge which is usually the same price as Dangerbof the Ooze alone. I still actively play my 3ds.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 03:01 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wario Ware Gold was a "best hits" version of the 3 previous games, it included microgames from the GBA one, the DS one, and Twisted (the second GBA one) and had some new games added as well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 03:03 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
Danger of the Ooze is easily the best turtles 3ds/ds game. It is a fun metroidvania game involving the 2012 turtles. I recommend getting the Splinter's training pack which is a 2 games in 1 cartridge which is usually the same price as Dangerbof the Ooze alone. I still actively play my 3ds.
Thanks for the tip.