The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #21
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This is the contents of the DC mini-series and assorted comics box I am having trouble sorting appropriately.
-DC Rebirth special
-Convergence: Detective Comics 1&2
-Convergence: Nightwing & Oracle 1&2
-Convergence: Speed Force 1&2
-DC Special #28 featuring Earth Shattering Disasters.
-Christmas with the Super Heroes (1988 ) reprinted stories
-DC Christmas Special 2008
-DC Christmas Special 2010
-Zero Hour
-Identity Crisis set
-Infinite Crisis set
-Final Crisis set
-Doomsday Clock set
-DC: The New Frontier
-DC Silver Age mini-series set
-World's Finest (1990) mini-series set
-World's Finest (1999) mini-series set
-Trinity mini-series set
-11 select issues of DC Comics Presents (including 1st NNT preview)
-Superman:The Wedding Album
-DC vs Marvel set
-Batman/Hulk
-Punisher/Batman
-Batman/Daredevil
-Daredevil/Batman
-Batman/Spider-Man
-Spider-Man/Batman
Batman/Captain America
-Batman film adaptations 1989-1997, Mask of the Phantasm,Subzero,World's Finest adaptations
-Robin Year One
-Batgirl Year One
-Batman Special (1987)
-Batman: Batgirl one-shot
-DC 1st:Batgirl/Joker
-Girl Frenzy: Batgirl
-Secret Original Special (1989)
-Catwoman: When In Rome mini-series set
-Batman: Mr. Freeze
-Penguin Triumphant
-Run, Riddler, Run set
-The Riddle Factory
-Two Face Strikes Twice! set
-Legends of the DC Universe #6 (Robin meets Superman),#10 & 11 (Batgirl)
-29 select issues of Flash (1987)
-Flash#13(temporary death of Bart Allen)
-Flash plus Nightwing
-Flash: Grodd (2013)

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 07-19-2021 at 04:46 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #22
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
This is the contents of the DC mini-series and assorted comics box I am having trouble sorting appropriately.
-DC Rebirth special
-Convergence: Detective Comics 1&2
-Convergence: Nightwing & Oracle 1&2
-Convergence: Speed Force 1&2
-DC Special #28 featuring Earth Shattering Disasters.
-Christmas with the Super Heroes (1988 ) reprinted stories
-DC Christmas Special 2008
-DC Christmas Special 2010
-Zero Hour
-Identity Crisis set
-Infinite Crisis set
-Final Crisis set
-Doomsday Clock set
-DC: The New Frontier
-DC Silver Age mini-series set
-World's Finest (1990) mini-series set
-World's Finest (1999) mini-series set
-Trinity mini-series set
-11 select issues of DC Comics Presents (including 1st NNT preview)
-Superman:The Wedding Album
-DC vs Marvel set
-Batman/Hulk
-Punisher/Batman
-Batman/Daredevil
-Daredevil/Batman
-Batman/Spider-Man
-Spider-Man/Batman
-Batman film adaptations 1989-1997, Mask of the Phantasm,Subzero,World's Finest adaptations
-Robin Year One
-Batgirl Year One
-Batman Special (1987)
-Batman: Batgirl one-shot
-DC 1st:Batgirl/Joker
-Girl Frenzy: Batgirl
-Secret Original Special (1989)
-Batman: Mr. Freeze
-Penguin Triumphant
-Run, Riddler, Run set
-The Riddle Factory
-Two Face Strikes Twice! set
-Legends of the DC Universe #6 (Robin meets Superman),#10 & 11 (Batgirl)
-29 select issues of Flash (1987)
-Flash#13(temporary death of Bart Allen)
-Flash plus Nightwing
-Flash: Grodd (2013)
What's the problem? If you were sorting alphabetically then it's an easy fix - just do that and in instances that there aren't prefix titles, then refer to the copyright box in the comic for the published title and use that as your alphabetical marker.

If you aren't sorting alphabetically, then specifically how are you sorting that these titles caused a sorting issue? Given the convo in this thread, gonna disregard use of the word "appropriately" above....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #23
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was thinking about having the Batman crossovers with Marvel characters behind Brave and the Bold (2007) volume in the Brave and the Bold long box.

Also, I did not know if the various villi an focused specials and things like Catwoman: When in Rome should be placed in a certain order or a different box to itself.

Additionally, I was not sure about the Batgirl related comics if it should go in the long box with the two Batgirl volumes and Batgirl and The Birds of Prey with Black Canary/Oracle:Birds of Prey.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd probably take a huge bath if I sold my collection. For one thing, with large collections you almost always have to sell it as a lot, which means you're gonna get no more than a buck per issue and usually much less. Anything "of value" can be sold on its own for a decent amount but having a large collection in and of itself doesn't mean anything.

I have some stuff that's worth a little bit... most of the Mirage TMNT, early Archie Sonic comics, some early Image stuff I inherited from my Dad like Spawn #1, and a few Superman and Batman books that are worth something.

BUT none of it is graded - which is a whole expense in and of itself if you hope to get anything close to the value of what you're trying to sell - so technically even those aren't "worth" much of anything.

Collecting comics for any reason but love is a fool's errand, unless you're specifically collecting rare books and have the money to get them graded and appraised.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:20 PM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Wow.

Sortthemalphabetically
Old 07-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #26
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Yes, I can attest to the difficulty in selling them off. When I went through my entire collection last week I found 41 comics that were duplicates due to upgrades or purchased as a lot and had little choice to get what I actually needed or in the case of Birds of Prey Infinite Crisis era min-run I ditched it. Some of them were pretty nice like I had 3 Batman title issues (#180,198,210) in the Fine range that could have sold around $30 each, but the sure way to unload them and ensure mutual profit is to let them go as a part of a lot to my LCS. I walked out with $80 and all 41 comics taken off my hands.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #27
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Is there a master list of all the Batman and Marvel character crossovers? I am missing the first of the two Batman/Punisher because it's not really Batman. Otherwise, I think I have them all. I am going to the first show in driving distance in 20 months tomorrow so I am curious.

Every Green Lantern related book since 1947? Not to mention that you hate the only Green Lantern that I read in Hal Jordan that is impressive and an accomplishment. I mean, I HATE Jason Better Off Dead Todd so I skip his whole period as Robin in my collection until the first part of A Death In The Family storyline.

There does seem to be quite a few Sonic readers/collectors on here. Hopefully both being under the IDW banner we can get a crossover imagined since their brief time being under the Archie banner simultaneously.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #28
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I had to get a new long box separating my Batman related mini-series and ongoing sets since it was overloaded. Not sure exactly how to organize it breaking it down.

Dark Victory for example is 'D' but should it go behind Long Halloween and have the Long Halloween special behind Dark Victory for canonical reason? If not it would be Batman: Dark Detective, Batman: Dark Victory, Batman: The Detective. Same with Batman & The Monster Men and Batman & The Mad Monk. Ma goes before Mo, but Monster Men canonically comes first. There is also Dark Moon Rising banner that both fall under. If that is the case I would need to file them both between Dark Detective and Dark Victory.

Also, Super Team Family was a short-lived mostly reprint title from 1976-1978. I have the #11-#14 arc that ties in with the Justice League of America volume one title. Should I place it in front of my Justice League of America volume one set along with my copy of Mystery in Space#75 or in my Brave and the Bold long box?
Old 11-29-2021, 06:18 AM   #29
mrmaczaps
Banned

My collection is a mess. I have long boxes by titles, mostly DC, everything Superman, Flash & GL from the 70s through 2011. The main ongoings are by title, with the mini series & one shots & crossovers of other titles (if I wasn't already collecting that title) [like when Flash & GL had the 3 parter with Green Arrow, the GA book is either in the Flash run or GL run]. Then I started reading way too many comics, so they're actually just dropped into boxes as they came out every week. And then to make that worse, I moved a couple times & some stuff is not in order at all. I used to keep the comics in medium priority boxes I had taped up & cut open the tops of so I could just drop the books in... somewhere during the move, some of those got mixed up despite me numbering them... And then they got moved & put into long boxes.... disaster. Lol. I keep my MOTU in its own boxes until the last run of DC books. I keep the TMNT stuff all together on its own. I also try to sort each short box now by title. Once its full, open it up & put everything together by title then drop it back in the box. Or take it out & sell off something I probably won't ever read again... I need to get my collection out of the house, resorted & sell some of it off. I also have a "locals" box for artist/writer stuff that I've met & had signed if it doesn't fit anywhere else. And then a box for trades because I've run out of shelf space for those as I used to buy the stories then also buy the trades to reread them.Then I kinda quit reading DC for a while but picked up the trades of the Flash Rebirth stuff so I could catch up.

I used to keep a spreadsheet of my collection as well but the computer that was on crashed so I tried to update the "backup" version but realized I hadn't backed it up in a while and made a mess. I got the newer file backed up & copied & pasted the new portion into it but then both those computers died, so I went Old School notebook... but I made a mess out of that too so I just quit recording what I was buying. I have a ton of stuff thats just bagged, a ton of stuff thats bagged & boarded with whatever used bags/boards I had and then sadly, a ton of stuff that has neither bags or boards & are probably ruined... maybe some day I'll get it all out & reorganized & figure out just what I own... And I'll find my 1st Harley Quinn... lol. I had that and the first Batgirl in Detective, which I had for all of a week when I found out about the tumor in my head so I sold it.... that sucked.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
My collection is a mess. I have long boxes by titles, mostly DC, everything Superman, Flash & GL from the 70s through 2011. The main ongoings are by title, with the mini series & one shots & crossovers of other titles (if I wasn't already collecting that title) [like when Flash & GL had the 3 parter with Green Arrow, the GA book is either in the Flash run or GL run]. Then I started reading way too many comics, so they're actually just dropped into boxes as they came out every week. And then to make that worse, I moved a couple times & some stuff is not in order at all. I used to keep the comics in medium priority boxes I had taped up & cut open the tops of so I could just drop the books in... somewhere during the move, some of those got mixed up despite me numbering them... And then they got moved & put into long boxes.... disaster. Lol. I keep my MOTU in its own boxes until the last run of DC books. I keep the TMNT stuff all together on its own. I also try to sort each short box now by title. Once its full, open it up & put everything together by title then drop it back in the box. Or take it out & sell off something I probably won't ever read again... I need to get my collection out of the house, resorted & sell some of it off. I also have a "locals" box for artist/writer stuff that I've met & had signed if it doesn't fit anywhere else. And then a box for trades because I've run out of shelf space for those as I used to buy the stories then also buy the trades to reread them.Then I kinda quit reading DC for a while but picked up the trades of the Flash Rebirth stuff so I could catch up.

I used to keep a spreadsheet of my collection as well but the computer that was on crashed so I tried to update the "backup" version but realized I hadn't backed it up in a while and made a mess. I got the newer file backed up & copied & pasted the new portion into it but then both those computers died, so I went Old School notebook... but I made a mess out of that too so I just quit recording what I was buying. I have a ton of stuff thats just bagged, a ton of stuff thats bagged & boarded with whatever used bags/boards I had and then sadly, a ton of stuff that has neither bags or boards & are probably ruined... maybe some day I'll get it all out & reorganized & figure out just what I own... And I'll find my 1st Harley Quinn... lol. I had that and the first Batgirl in Detective, which I had for all of a week when I found out about the tumor in my head so I sold it.... that sucked.
I just started a spreadsheet over the summer when I went through and organized 11 boxes worth of comics. I lost interest in IDW's TMNT title and I lost Batgirl both started in 2011 while the longest pulled title Green Lantern since Hal returned in Green Lantern : Rebirth#1 went without Hal Jordan in its latest iteration of the main title so I did not continue. That being said I have hit the back issue bin hard to occupy my lack of enthusiasm. I have 3 situations where titles I do not collect are woven into such as I don't collect New Teen Titans volume two so A Lonely Place of Dying is fit where it belongs in the Batman title. Same with the JSA title that was running at the time when it crossed over with the 2006-2011 Justice League book. Also, Gorilla Warfare and the Return of Barry Allen crossed over between Green Lantern volume 3 and Flash volume two. I have the three Green Lantern issues that pertain to the Flash volume two storylines. I don't collect a run of Wally West's Flash volume, but I do have over 40 issues. I guess you could say I have a 'best of Flash III (Wally West) run.

I have most of my collection problems figured out, but could use some figuring out related to the above.

Also, I collect specific arcs of Legends of The Dark Knight and Batman Confidential not entire series so I put those in my Batman-related ongoings box with sets of Batman and The Outsiders volume one, Batman Adventures, Batman & Robin Adventures, Batman & Robin (2009-2011), Batman '66.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:44 AM   #31
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Mrmaczaps, I just added this to my collection. Quite happy with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211202_074226.jpg (97.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #32
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Mrmaczaps, I just added this to my collection. Quite happy with it!
Nice. Lucky! Maybe some day I'll find a lower grade copy to buy at a steal again...
Old 12-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #33
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Nice. Lucky! Maybe some day I'll find a lower grade copy to buy at a steal again...
My employer gave a retention bonus because of covid and heavy turnover so I used the bonus to fund it.

What was the grade and price of the copy that you had?

This is obviously going in a special keeping place not in a long box along with a few other keys that I have sat aside somewhere special.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #34
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
My employer gave a retention bonus because of covid and heavy turnover so I used the bonus to fund it.

What was the grade and price of the copy that you had?

This is obviously going in a special keeping place not in a long box along with a few other keys that I have sat aside somewhere special.
The copy I had was not professionally graded but the guestimate I think was either 7.5 or 8.0. I literally had it for less than 2 weeks. I saw it, bought it, found out about my brain tumor (& how d@mn pricey MRIs are even with insurance) and then got it in, checked it out & then put it for sale to pay a medical bill. I don't think I even read it now that I think of it... kinda sucks still. Its been 8 or 9 years now.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #35
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Any advice on the above filing questions?

Quote:
The copy I had was not professionally graded but the guestimate I think was either 7.5 or 8.0. I literally had it for less than 2 weeks. I saw it, bought it, found out about my brain tumor (& how d@mn pricey MRIs are even with insurance) and then got it in, checked it out & then put it for sale to pay a medical bill. I don't think I even read it now that I think of it... kinda sucks still. Its been 8 or 9 years now.
I paid 1.62k. So much for the retention bonus...

It is slabbed at about .5 less, I only have 4 others that are.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:44 PM   #36
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I figured out most of my queries, however, I need one part figured out. I have Super Team Family#11-15, but I am not sure where to file it. I have a Brave and the Bold box that I can file it alphabetically, however do I place it between Justice League of America vol. 1 156 and 157 since it's a prelude to #157? Like Leo suggested I placed the New Titians issues of A Lonely Place of Dying in sequence to where it is between Batman title issues, same with The Lighting Saga with the JSA issues and the two All-Star Squadron issues intermixed in Justice League of America in the #27--209 crossover arc. However, the Batman and the Outsiders and New Teen Titans were kept separate since I have completed sets of both. This is a unique case where it does not fit either of the above.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 01-02-2022 at 03:48 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:49 PM   #37
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
I figured out most of my queries, however, I need one part figured out. I have Super Team Family#11-15, but I am not sure where to file it. I have a Brave and the Bold box that I can file it alphabetically, however do I place it between Justice League of America vol. 1 156 and 157 since it's a prelude to #157? Like Leo suggested I placed the New Titians issues of A Lonely Place of Dying in sequence to where it is between Batman title issues, same with The Lighting Saga with the JSA issues and the two All-Star Squadron issues intermixed in Justice League of America in the #27--209 crossover arc. However, the Batman and the Outsiders and New Teen Titans were kept separate since I have completed sets of both. This is a unique case where it does not fit either of the above.
If you have a complete run, file it alpha where it would normally go even if its a pre-crossover bit... or just file it where it fits best. If I could do mine again, I'd sort it out by box and just write down whats in each box... not by title or alpha or anything... just as I bought it, box it & write it down...
Old 01-02-2022, 05:20 PM   #38
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
If you have a complete run, file it alpha where it would normally go even if its a pre-crossover bit... or just file it where it fits best. If I could do mine again, I'd sort it out by box and just write down whats in each box... not by title or alpha or anything... just as I bought it, box it & write it down...
The thing is that when your collection gets legit large almost the only solution is to sort them alpha by title, and then by volume. So it would go

Incredible Hulk vol 2
Incredible Hulk vol 3
Iron Man vol 1
Iron Man vol 2
through Iron Man vol whatever and then
Iron Man: Hands of the Mandarin
Iron Man: Kiss & Kill

When you've got a small collection, say as a "Superman Collector" there's more room for liberal-mania in the filing. For example, it's easier to sort a Superman-only collection alpha-by-title and then by volume but also to just place crossover books into the runs they belong in. So you know, Batman crosses over into a Superman run, but you don't really collect Batman so you put the Batman book in order with the Superman run.

But if you collect Batman and Superman and have longboxes of books, just file everything by title by number. If you really are going to go back and read something then just fish it out of your bins, no big deal.

etc....

Basically traditional library systems of doing this are always the best, but with comics you just use the title and not the author. Unless I suppose your collection is comprised of "author runs" (which most people's aren't) then I suppose you could go by author, but even then you might still be better off alpha-by-title by-publisher.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:48 PM   #39
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Alrighty then. I have placed Super Team Family 11-15 between Justice League of America#156 and #157.

I separated my Batman related ongoing sets with the mini-series and placed them alphabetically in their own respective longboxes that includes part of what I listed above in the designated DC related mini-series. The only oddity is Flash volume 2 which I have currently placed at the back of the DC related mini-series box after Zatanna Special(1987). Primarily because its between 40 to 50 issues so it does not justify its own small box.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:05 AM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

How many comics should go in a long box without it being crammed, but also enough room to fall back within the box?