The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Dune remake (2020)

I gotta say, it's really getting a hell of a cast. The only oddball of the bunch is Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho. He is pretty far from the "cat-like" character described in the novel. He is literally there because Aquaman made a billion dollars and no other reason... but I get it.

So far...

Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides
Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck
Zendaya as Chani
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides
Javier Bardem as Stilgar
Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica Atreides
Dave Bautista as Glossu "The Beast" Rabban
Charlotte Rampling as the Reverend Mother Gaius Mohiam
David Dastmalchian as Peter De Vries

Only "big" roles left to cast are Emperor Shaddam IV and Princess Irulan. It'd be nice to see a Jonathan Pryce-style Shaddam. Maybe the chick from Split and Glass as Irulan...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
snake
Disgusting

Yeah, this is awesome. I am a huge Dune fan, and I had pretty high expectations for the project ever since it was first announced. It’s kind of surreal that it’s even being made, because usually films like these stay in development hell forever until they are inadvertently canned and then picked up again, only for the same thing to happen again. So, yay, I’m genuinely excited and happy at the prospect of a good Dune movie treated with the respect and porportion the series deserves, and you can tell just from the cast that Villenueve is putting true care into the project.

I’m a little concerned at how they’ll fit everything into one movie, because splitting it into two parts- while a good idea to cover everything- will potentially lose the general audience because not a lot happens in the first half of Dune. It’s basically small amounts of worldbuilding and general palace-f*ckery. It’s just this up to page 200 before anything remotely exciting happens. I enjoy it, and it works as a novel, but in a film perspective you’re going to bore people unless you massively chop down those first 200 pages into just the basics, but then the rest of the book lacks weight and would just make the audience question why they should care about these characters or the strange things happening to them. You’re essentially running into the same problems the Lynch film had. The best way to do Dune in my opinion is a TV series.

Regardless, I’m still optamistic for the film- just a little concerned as to how it’ll be pulled off. I’m surprised we haven’t heard the Doctor Yueh casting yet. He’s a central part of the first half of the story.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Yeah, this is awesome. I am a huge Dune fan, and I had pretty high expectations for the project ever since it was first announced. It’s kind of surreal that it’s even being made, because usually films like these stay in development hell forever until they are inadvertently canned and then picked up again, only for the same thing to happen again. So, yay, I’m genuinely excited and happy at the prospect of a good Dune movie treated with the respect and porportion the series deserves, and you can tell just from the cast that Villenueve is putting true care into the project.

I’m a little concerned at how they’ll fit everything into one movie, because splitting it into two parts- while a good idea to cover everything- will potentially lose the general audience because not a lot happens in the first half of Dune. It’s basically small amounts of worldbuilding and general palace-f*ckery. It’s just this up to page 200 before anything remotely exciting happens. I enjoy it, and it works as a novel, but in a film perspective you’re going to bore people unless you massively chop down those first 200 pages into just the basics, but then the rest of the book lacks weight and would just make the audience question why they should care about these characters or the strange things happening to them. You’re essentially running into the same problems the Lynch film had. The best way to do Dune in my opinion is a TV series.

Regardless, I’m still optamistic for the film- just a little concerned as to how it’ll be pulled off. I’m surprised we haven’t heard the Doctor Yueh casting yet. He’s a central part of the first half of the story.
Denis Villeneuve had a lot of momentum behind him when it came to financing time... luckily, I don't think Blade Runner 2's box office had been tallied just yet. If this tanks he'll be firmly locked up for a few years in director's prison, though.

Yeah, I'm huge into Dune. I read the novel first when I was like 10, my parents got me Dune bedsheets, and I loved the Dune computer games. The movie was good for what it was and so were the two Sci-Fi mini-series... but both of those iterations seemed to fall short in different ways. That said, I don't know that I'm SUPER excited to see a third adaptation of the first book. I want the other books.

Splitting Dune into two movies is pretty haphazard for sure. And what, if the first half doesn't sell, we don't even get the second? Let alone adaptions of the other books.

Dune just doesn't seem to lend itself well to the big screen, unless it truly had a Lord of the Rings-style production behind it. i.e., film everything at once -- maybe the first three books -- and release one every year afterward. Regroup, then do the next 3. It just seems to me this would do so much better as an HBO series. Like, season 1 is the first book, season 2 is the second, etc..
Old 02-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
snake
Disgusting

Damn, I want Dune bedsheets.

The fanboy part of my brain is telling me that it’ll make a billion at the box office because of the visual spectacle, cast, and recent lack of good Sci-Fi as well as a series for all of the former Star Wars fans to move on to. The realistic part of my brain knows that this movie is going to flop, or at most “underperform” because of ridiculous studio expectations and a sequel or second part will never be made. Look at Alita: Battle Angel- James Cameron producing, good word of mouth, visually cool, should theoretically have a wide appeal and be successful, but it’s flopping because audiences only want to go to the movies for something they’re familiar with. The reason theaters are dying isn’t because of Netflix or streaming services, it’s because for a lot of people, why spend upwards of $20 to take a risk and see something new that has the potential to be “bad” when you can spend the same amount of see the new Disney/Marvel/comic book movie you’re familiar with and know you’ll enjoy? The current movie environment basically gives Dune zero chance of succeeding. I hope I’m wrong, and the movie is lighting in a bottle that reignites interest in big budget sci-fi, but how many times has this happened in the past couple years? Valerian, Jupiter Ascending, Blade Runner 2099, Alita, and soon to be Dune.

It’s sad, because if this came out in the early 2000s or at least right after LotR finished I feel it would’ve done amazing box office-wise and we’d probably have all 7 books made by now.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:15 AM   #5
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

I would never consider a new movie based on Herbert's movie to be a "remake" of the Lynch film from 1984 or the mini-series but a new adaptation.

whenever who makes a film based on the novel Moby Dick is not "remaking" John Huston's film. They're making a new film based on the same literary source material. That's what the new IT films are and Dune movies, a separate adaptation of the book and not a remake of the earlier film.

For example i don't consider John Carpenter's The Thing to be a remake of The Thing From Another World because they are 2 completely different films. They use the same source material, which comes from a book by John Campbell, but the movies take different directions with that material and are nothing alike because of it. I would consider Carpenter's version to be a remake if he had tried to reinvent the 1951 film and borrowed aspects from it, but he did not.

A remake to me is the Hills Have Eyes 1977 and Hills have Eyes 2006 because it uses the same plot, takes aspects from it, including being based on the motion picture produced earlier plus the screenplay written earlier even credits the screenplay and what not. Carpenter didn't do that. He made his own movie according to him and his own independent adaptation. They are 2 separate completely different adaptations of the novella, Hawk's adaptation was a terrible travesty of an adaptation that completely ignored it (the location/the characters and background/the monster/the discover and origin of the spaceship/nature with methods of the alien as Hawk's film was a creature who didn't imitate anyone like the creature from Campbell's book as it had only one form being a vampiric vegetable humanoid who can reproduce itself but wasn't a shapeshifting imitating being) but still a damned good 1951 film despite being one of the worst book to film adaptations of all time like Running Man or Lawnmower Man or whatever. Carpenter's adaptation is a standalone film that is true to the book as it's an excellent adaptation of the original source material.

It would be like saying every Dracula film is a "remake" of the 1931 film or the silent classic Nosferatu, NO they are all separate and different adaptation of the same source material. Another example is the films Last Man on Earth, Omega Man and I Am Legend which are all separate and completely different adaptations of the original source material which have nothing to do with each other..

There is a difference between a remake and an adaptation.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Thing, Stephen King's The Shining, Lord of the Rings, Dracula, Frankenstein, any film based on I Am Legend, The Dark Knight Trilogy, A Christmas Carol, IT, War of the Worlds, the upcoming Crow film etc. are adaptations of source material being books, novellas and comics. Including being separate adaptations.

Night of the Living Dead, The Fog, Halloween, Maniac, Hills Have eyes, A nightmare on Elm Street, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, House on Haunted Hill, Ocean's 11, King Kong, Father of the Bride, The Nutty Professor etc. those are remakes in every sense of the word and based on the original screenplays even credits the screenplays and their writers saying "based on the motion picture and screenplay by".

Nevetheless, i'm excited for this because for 25 years since i was 12 i've been a fan of the Dune novels and i saw the movie on video and MY GOD it blew badly and i also dislike the mini-series as well as i believe it's hard to adapt such a unique and magical sci-fi fantasy novel on film but seeing the idea of a 2 part film on the big screen from the director of Arrival/Blade Runner 2049 gives me hope, i mean i love those 2 films even his other films as he's such a promising director.

I mean the book is such an influential work as it was one of the many inspirations to James Cameron's Avatar as well to Stargate to Star Wars. This book deserves another chance on big screen as a guy like myself who detested both film versions like the Lynch monstrosity and the mini-series as i'm optimistic about this next year from such a great director and this could be the Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones of Sci-fi.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Shesus. Delayed from December of this year all the way to October 1st, 2021.

https://collider.com/dune-movie-new-...-delayed-2021/
Old 10-05-2020, 11:11 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

-oof- Reciprocating causation.

1) Hollywood delays movies - basically out of greed so that they don't see a diminished box office.

2) Box off diminishes due to lack of product.

3) Theater's go out of business but Hollywood still delays out of greed.

4) Hollywood releases movies to diminished box office because there's fewer places to screen them after 7 fiscal quarters of greed delays, of which maybe the first 2 or so quarters were actually necessary to public health.

I love, love, love Blade Runner 2049 by the way. I'm not a big fan of Dune as an I.P. but I will find a way to see this if only for the goodwill that Villeneuve instilled by the masterpiece that was Blade Runner 2049.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:24 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
4) Hollywood releases movies to diminished box office because there's fewer places to screen them after 7 fiscal quarters of greed delays, of which maybe the first 2 or so quarters were actually necessary to public health.

Fewer places? I can't fathom how there would even be 1 anywhere by that point. Beyond some kind of bailout that nobody is even talking about, if you own a theater how could you possibly afford to keep it with no new movies for like 2 years? It's impossible. A lot of them were struggling even before all of this nonsense.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Yep. That's why my boss shut the gym down.

Landlord "generously" offered him a 1-year lease instead of the standard 5. This was in June.

Rent on the facility was $5000. That's BEFORE expenses such as heat, AC, electricity, TV and internet, etc. etc. So... round up and and assume maybe eight to ten grand a month to keep the place.

Owner said "We've made $0 revenue since March 15th but we're still on the hook for these bills. It's now June, and we have absolutely no idea when we might be allowed to open again."

Thus, he had no choice but to decline the "generous" offer to keep paying over 5 grand a month for the next year on $0 income. So instead he sold the equipment the next day. Our entire strip mall - a gym, a tanning salon, a Subway, a nail salon, and a physical therapy place - is now just an empty parking lot. These were well-established businesses that were doing well and each of them had been in operation at that location for well over ten years. Everything was Fine. Now....

This Is Reality.

Nobody's talking bailout and nobody's talking amnesty on not paying rent. Nor can they reasonably do so.

Time to end the shutdown. Way past overdue. This is madness.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:47 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Wait, what? The HBO Max/theaters co-launch is still undecided?

https://www.darkhorizons.com/dune-hb...nch-undecided/

I could've sworn I read months ago that Denis Villeneuve fought and won his argument to keep it strictly in theaters.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the new Trailer, Its way better then the 1st trailer.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. Arrival was very well done and BR 2049 is possibly my favorite movie of all-time at this point.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. Arrival was very well done and BR 2049 is possibly my favorite movie of all-time at this point.
I probably have the unpopular viewpoint that BR2049 is better than the original.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I probably have the unpopular viewpoint that BR2049 is better than the original.
I think a lot of people feel that way, but the older fans of the original have a grip on that argument so many people just don't go there. Blade Runner was fantastic and 2049 took everything that made it that way and made it better. There's nothing wrong with 2049 being better. Besides, in a rare turn of events, it was pure Hollywood that made that franchise great. Dick's DADOES is not a good book.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Let's see how they 'woke' this one up.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #16
Sumac
Banned

I can't say I am big fan of original Blade Runner, but, IMO, it was better than sequel, which made me just bored, due to predictable plot twists and completely unlikable and uncharismatic protagonist / actor.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I can't see Villanueve doing it.... he's too focused on his movie and the core of things to let woke $#!( creep in there as an agenda. Dune will give you an organically compelling cast, a solid story and great eyecandy.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:33 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Beyond the gender and race swapping purely on the casting level (that I doubt Villanueve even had any strong feelings on beyond, "Meh, I want to get this made... fine, whatever, Liet can be a chick," etc.) I'm not too concerned.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:21 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So it's already, eh, available for download. I can't imagine how this might hurt the box office...
Old 10-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm waiting to hear what David Lynch thinks of it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snake vs the public