The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #181
CyberCubed
Overlord

The good thing is even if a movie isn't great you don't feel like you wasted your money on it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #182
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Time is money. You did waste 2 hours of your life you can't get back that could've been used for something else.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #183
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Time is money. You did waste 2 hours of your life you can't get back that could've been used for something else.
Not if you watch on 1.5x speed on a dual monitor on your computer so you can surf the internet and watch something at the same time. That's what I do.

In fact I'm watching a movie on my second screen as I'm typing this post out right now!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #184
sdp
Megan Fox = April

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #185
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

If they really felt the need to do another Looney Tunes meets real-life humans crossover film, they could've just tried something else more akin to Back in Action or putting them in a sport that's more popular these days. Then again, you'd probably get folks who'd say "I've seen this before with Space Jam."

Everything about this film just reeks corporate to the core.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #186
Leo656
The Franchise

#MakeLola'sBoobsGreatAgain

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #187
Sumac
Banned

Original movie is a "period piece". Replicating it is as useless as making movie about dicso this days.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #188
Coola Yagami
Overlord

dude... how did you find a pic of Cybercubed? I thought he was way more secretive than that.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:16 AM   #189
Wildcat
Foot Elite

If you follow Lebron you’d know he has more input on things than some would say he should. I doubt this movie was very “corporate”.

I’m not surprised it’s getting rough reviews. A movie meant to be for fun with different universes and cute characters was kinda bound to get criticized. Suddenly your franchises meeting up means you’re copying Ready Player One.

The original wasn’t amazing but it was entertaining. I think this is probably better but criticizing it for not being a groundbreaking sequel is just dumb.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:48 AM   #190
Leo656
The Franchise

Orrrrr... could just be sh*t.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:05 AM   #191
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I've been watching clips of Lola on the Loony Toon Show recently..my god, despite how dumbed down she is compared to how she is on Space Jam, her chemistry with Daffy is quite good, why aren't they endgame? One episode comes close to realising that.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #192
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I haven't been to see the movie yet, but I have been to about 5 different McDs around town picking up the Happy Meal toys this week.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #193
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Well, I didn't think the film was all that bad. I did laugh in more than a couple of moments. However, the story is still not very fresh. It borrows so much from not only the original film but obviously also plenty from Ralph Breaks the Internet and Ready Player One.

Spoiler:
Warner Bros. clearly wanted Vanellope Von Schweetz’s voice actress from Disney to do this film and have her be the character who gets the invitation from the internet type villain.

Spoiler:
I also liked the references and Easter Eggs to Adam West's Batman like hearing the theme song and having Bugs and Lebron dress as the Batman and Robin from that show. I did see West's Batman and Burt Ward's Robin in the audience during the game. Plus, Eartha Kitt's Catwoman was there too.

Right now the film's estimated opening weekend is $31.65 million. If those numbers hold or go higher when actual numbers are released than it beats the $31.625 million 3-day opening weekend for Godzilla vs. Kong as Warner Bros. highest weekend debut in North America during the Covid-19 Pandemic. It's also looking at the highest opening weekend for a family movie during these times.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/space-j...ce-1234794982/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #194
oldmanwinters
Overlord

In case you were waiting for it, here's a "How Dare You?" review of the whole concept via POLITICO:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bleak-com...060016937.html

Quote:
The original “Space Jam,” crass as it may have been, was harmless ‘90s fluff. Its successor, arriving in 2021, borders on a moral affront.

Over the past decade, the NBA has become the world’s most aggressively activist major sports organization. Its players have stumped for voting access, put the phrase “Black Lives Matter” on NBA courts, and nearly boycotted last year’s playoffs en masse amid the protests over the murder of George Floyd. It has been a dramatic and socially significant evolution from the days of Jordan, the famously apolitical uber-jock who once quipped that “Republicans buy sneakers, too.”

So to watch James in 2021, the league’s standard-bearer both as a player and political activist, traipse through the sealed-off virtual landscape of “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” it’s impossible to think of anything but what the league and its players aren’t saying. The film is carefully neutered to appeal to an apolitical global cinematic marketplace dominated by China. You spend its 115 minutes not recalling the lightweight delights of the 1990s, but of the moment in 2019 when NBA front-office guru Daryl Morey expressed support for Hong Kong’s pro-democracy protests, and a clearly peeved James slapped him down, accusing him of harming NBA players “financially… physically. Emotionally. Spiritually,” saying “we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that too. . . .

The 1996 film’s villain was a cigar-chomping, W.C. Fields-style misanthrope who wanted to imprison Michael Jordan for all eternity as a circus entertainer, condemning him to literally “shut up and dribble.” This is the same mindset that NBA players — James pre-eminent among them — have openly, and successfully, been fighting for the past few years, both in their political stances and assertion of their own agency as athletes and public figures. But the past few years have revealed clearly where they won’t step. “Space Jam: A New Legacy” feels like precisely the product of an algorithm written to scrub out anything that might threaten its, and the NBA’s, global ambitions. It’s impossible to sit through the movie and conclude anything other than that its villain has already triumphed.
(I won't argue that James isn't a hypocrite.)

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #195
Sumac
Banned

Politico is trash.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:43 PM   #196
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The Director of Space Jam: A New Legacy wants Dwayne Johnson to be in Space Jam 3.
https://ew.com/movies/space-jam-new-...r-third-movie/
Old 07-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #197
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The Director of Space Jam: A New Legacy wants Dwayne Johnson to be in Space Jam 3.
https://ew.com/movies/space-jam-new-...r-third-movie/
I can see Dwayne doing it. Of course they should write the basketball stuff off and replace it with wrestling. A wrestling match in space with The Rock, the Looney Tunes gang and other random evil alien dudes? Sounds good to me. Bring Stump and the Turtles too!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:54 AM   #198
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Huh, just finished it, the comic book actually went with a different ending...

Spoiler:
In the comics, the Toons argue about the loss of losing Marvin's ship so they can't explore the server 'verse. The actual film ends with a fake-out 'death' for Bugs that...doesn't really get explained away very well when it's walked back on. Call me 'loony' but I think the bit where he showed up to assure Lebron he was alright was thrown together and that he and the toons could visit them in real-world was last-minute

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 07-21-2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #199
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Huh, just finished it, the comic book actually went with a different ending...

Spoiler:
In the comics, the Toons argue about the loss of losing Marvin's ship so they can't explore the server 'verse. The actual film ends with a fake-out 'death' for Bugs that...doesn't really get explained away very well when it's walked back on. Call me 'loony' but I think the bit where he showed up to assure Lebron he was alright was thrown together and that he and the toons could visit them in real-world was last-minute
Spoiler:
You'd think they would've done the obvious and have LeBron's son do something to fix/heal/reprogram Bugs to bring him back to life. Maybe learn what Al-G taught him to bring back his deleted character and apply it to their fallen teammate but I guess that wasn't an idea.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #200
ZariusTwo
Overlord

LeBron Space Jam hometown mural vandalized

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/n...on/5383471001/

Quote:
Come what may, Malcolm D. Lee’s Space Jam: A New Legacy was a one-weekend wonder. I will admit being impressed at the $31 million opening posted by the LeBron James/Bugs Bunny sequel last weekend, if only because the buzz seemed non-existent and the reviews were expectedly poor. Again, that’s where the whole “successful disappointment” thing comes in. In regular times, a $31 million launch for a $150 million kid-targeted sci-fi comedy would be a disappointment bordering on disaster. But on a Covid curve, it was at least another case of a big Warner Bros. flick over-performing pre-release projections on the opening weekend despite the pandemic and the HBO Max factor. But a 69% drop is pretty bad under any circumstance.

With $9.5 million in weekend two, Space Jam: A New Legacy has earned $50 million domestic (after a $12.6 million overseas weekend, a decent -37% drop) and $94 million worldwide. With nine overseas markets scheduled for the next two months, including Japan (August 27) and Italy (September 23), this one could eke out a $150 million global cume, which would at least somewhat save face amid the current ever-changing (worsening?) circumstances. But it would appear that the folks who wanted to see Space Jam: A New Legacy in theaters did so last weekend, with the rest either not bothering or watching it on HBO Max. The movie was always a commercial coin toss. So is, good buzz notwithstanding, The Suicide Squad.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...h=6a50c96f93bf