The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #261
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Antonio Banderas is aboard? OK.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/antonio...diana-jones-5/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #262
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I just had a thought....
What if the "de-aged" part of Harrison Ford is that it plays out like X-Men Days of Future Past?

Old Indy goes back in time and inhabits his younger body. We see him as old Indy, but everyone else who sees him sees "young Indy" not knowing old Indy is inhabiting his body.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #263
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I just had a thought....
What if the "de-aged" part of Harrison Ford is that it plays out like X-Men Days of Future Past?

Old Indy goes back in time and inhabits his younger body. We see him as old Indy, but everyone else who sees him sees "young Indy" not knowing old Indy is inhabiting his body.....
I don't think Harrison would be down with that. By the same token he repeatedly waved away any notion of a "passing of the torch" at every stage (yet people still insist there will, or should be).
Old 07-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #264
sdp
Megan Fox = April

He already passed the torch to Mutt last movie. but i do remember reading an interview that it wasn't a passing the torch movie.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #265
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think Harrison would be down with that
How come? I mean, it would be just like X-Men Days of Future Past - Hugh Jackman as-is was on screen throughout the movie with no de-aging, but he was running around in his younger body?

I'm not making a case for this particular angle by any means, but as for the de-aging thing at all - they've sort of confirmed that bare minimum there will be scenes during Nazi-era-Germany with Indy, so right there you have a de-aging situation, no?
Old 07-15-2021, 11:17 PM   #266
Sumac
Banned

I am feeling like time travel is a bit too much even for Indiana Jones.
That aside, so far everyone seemingly insist that movie takes place in the 60s, so I don't think time travel will happen at all.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:24 AM   #267
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
He already passed the torch to Mutt last movie.
Not even slightly. They kind of teased it tongue in cheek with the hat... but Indy grabbed it away. Torch pass... psyche!

Harrison, Spielberg and everyone have been on and on saying "there won't be ANY passing of the torch in Indy 5" but people keep making theories about "Well what about this, or that, or Chris Pratt?"

Indy isn't Solo for Harrison. He never liked playing Solo. Also, Harrison only signed onto Force Awakens way back contingent on there being an Indy 5 put into development with certain understandings. Which one would assume means he has some say over its final shape.

After Harrison dies? Who knows. Open season I guess. But 0 chance of torch passing, time travel younger body swapping, or any rigermerole like that in Indy 5.

Quote:
I'm not making a case for this particular angle by any means, but as for the de-aging thing at all - they've sort of confirmed that bare minimum there will be scenes during Nazi-era-Germany with Indy, so right there you have a de-aging situation, no?
Well sure. By the same token we got a "deaged Indy" at the beginning of Last Crusade. Only now they have the tools to CGI his younger face onto someone approximating Harrison's body around 1989 (which guaranteed they will do if it's that) and don't need to wholly rely on a younger actor.

Though I'm not 100% convinced the nazi trains and such we're seeing BTS pics of are from a flashback. I mean, they could very well be... but think, like, The Rocketeer.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-16-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:35 AM   #268
Sumac
Banned

I feel like they wanted to "pass the torch" to Mutt, to continue to make Indiana Jones series, but Shia being Shia and all that ruined their plans.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:42 AM   #269
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I feel like they wanted to "pass the torch" to Mutt, to continue to make Indiana Jones series, but Shia being Shia and all that ruined their plans.
Mayyyyybe longterm. Like, "OK, Harrison... we're gonna hang tight till you die, but maybe now we might just plant some seeds for Mutt." But even with Indy IV they were all very clear about no torch passing. Though I honestly believe it was less about that and more just, "Indy is like 65 now... let's actually give him some kind of family by now."

Though even if Shia remains radioactive to them, there's nothing saying they can't just recast him. I mean, it's been like 10 years already. It's not like Indy looks like Christian Slater, or vice versa (or the Boondock Saints guy that nobody talks about). It wouldn't be too weird, I think.

What I'm mostly worried about is that they might try and pull a Die Hard 5 with Indy 5. Like, "we gave you the son.... now meet the daughter!" Particularly, you know. Nowadays.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #270
frank_one
Mad Scientist

It's still unclear to me what ever happened between Shia and Spielberg. Why were they so adamant about him not reprising the role? Did he do or say something wrong?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 AM   #271
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Looked like Ford had tracking dots on his face in those set pics from a few weeks ago which would indicate we are getting de-aged Indy during some part of the movie.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #272
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
It's still unclear to me what ever happened between Shia and Spielberg. Why were they so adamant about him not reprising the role? Did he do or say something wrong?
Shia talked some **** about the production and experience some years back. He still does it from time to time.

Also, KOTCS was littered with the third tier actors talking **** about the production or leaking (at the time) secrets and I think by that point Spielberg was having none of it. Apparently it was so bad that Igor Jijikine was blacklisted from any future Spielberg productions by Spielberg himself, so the whole thing got beyond the point where it wasn't even handled with "silent grace".

Also, "good actor" or not, Shia is from that sort of weird generation of "manchild actors" that might be cranking 30 but has that perpetual "kid" thing going on. He couldn't carry an Indiana Jones movie even if the studio trusted him with it.

Indiana Jones is a serialized character that is always out in the field. I'd be totally down with someone like Chris Pratt taking over in a continued series (much like James Bond) as opposed to a "passing the torch" continuity.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #273
TylerD
Random Punk

I was not a big fan of part 4, but I will definitely still watch this one as I love the series..... They sure waited a while to do this one (granted, Harrison Ford is still in great shape and looks awesome for a 79 year old man)
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #274
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I would still be interested in a Mutt Williams spin-off. He doesn't need to be the "new indiana jones", no passing of the torch. I would like to see him developed as a character of his own, like we've seen in Indy4. That's the only way to keep the franchise going I would approve. No Chris Pratt or whoever, no James Bond style stuff. When Ford dies, Indiana Jones dies (but other supporting characters don't).
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #275
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Mayyyyybe longterm. Like, "OK, Harrison... we're gonna hang tight till you die, but maybe now we might just plant some seeds for Mutt." But even with Indy IV they were all very clear about no torch passing. Though I honestly believe it was less about that and more just, "Indy is like 65 now... let's actually give him some kind of family by now."
Also, I think, they didn't expect it'll take them so long to make a sequel, if they planned any back than.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #276
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I would still be interested in a Mutt Williams spin-off. He doesn't need to be the "new indiana jones", no passing of the torch. I would like to see him developed as a character of his own, like we've seen in Indy4. That's the only way to keep the franchise going I would approve. No Chris Pratt or whoever, no James Bond style stuff. When Ford dies, Indiana Jones dies (but other supporting characters don't).
A lot of people say this too, and I understand completely. I've been an Indy fan since Raiders was in theaters and like everyone else I love Ford and his career at large. Obviously Star Wars, but Blade Runner and his Jack Ryan and Jack Ryan-style stuff too..... But people used to say that about Connery as James Bond and countless other franchises as well, but it's been done and can work. I just think you need to pull off perfect casting if you are going to replace Ford. It didn't work in Solo for example, they got the wrong guy (that movie shouldn't have been made anyway).

I'm one of the few hardcore Indy collectors that seem to think this would be okay, which is actually crazy that I've developed that perspective because in general I'm a purist. It's a confusing place to be in... hahahahaha! I'm basically a fairly hardcore Indiana Jones and Iron Man collector, and to be honest I think RD JR can be replaced too.....

As for Mutt? I imagine Indiana Jones as a series of anthology adventures in general, but that means they follow the character doing stuff. I can't really imagine what Mutt's story could be in that "Universe" if he went off on his own series. It's neither here nor there though, I think it's safe to say it will never happen. Honestly there is a better chance that Indy will get a reboot with a new actor via Disney owning the I.P. Hell they are making a new movie with Spielberg....
Old 07-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #277
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

Also, "good actor" or not, Shia is from that sort of weird generation of "manchild actors" that might be cranking 30 but has that perpetual "kid" thing going on. He couldn't carry an Indiana Jones movie even if the studio trusted him with it.
Tom Holland seems to be going that route as is Zendaya. They both look like by the time they're 50 they're gonna look like kids with wrinkles.

I kinda think Leonardo DiCaprio woulda looked pretty much like that too if he never gained the weight. I mean, lose the weight and the beard and he's basically 'manchild actor' too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #278
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Tom Holland seems to be going that route as is Zendaya. They both look like by the time they're 50 they're gonna look like kids with wrinkles.

I kinda think Leonardo DiCaprio woulda looked pretty much like that too if he never gained the weight. I mean, lose the weight and the beard and he's basically 'manchild actor' too.
Exactly, man. Exactly. And I used to feel that way about DiCaprio too. Awesome actor, but he needed that weight and some muscle to look like an adult in an adult world of movies.....
Old 07-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #279
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I am feeling like time travel is a bit too much even for Indiana Jones.
That aside, so far everyone seemingly insist that movie takes place in the 60s, so I don't think time travel will happen at all.
The sequence being shot right now takes place in late summer 1969. A parade welcoming back the Apollo 11 astronauts is disrupted by an attack involving a guy on a motorbike, and Indy rides a horse at some point.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #280
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Also, I think, they didn't expect it'll take them so long to make a sequel, if they planned any back than.
Yeah. I'm sure the plan was "let's do a second Indy trilogy." But like always, George Lucas read all the people disliking Indy 4 and just shut down. And until the Disney sale no one else could so much as take a crack at the story for a 5.