The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-27-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Has anyone else kind of "peaked" in terms of what you want from TV/movies?

I was just thinking about this the other day how anything I want out of a TV or movie series has either already happened, or was done badly to the point where I don't need to see a continuation.

All the franchises I've followed since I was a kid, like Ninja Turtles, Batman, DC and Marvel superheroes like Superman, X-men, Spider-Man etc, Star Wars, Star Trek, Simpsons and Futurama, various anime like Dragonball Z, Pokemon, movie franchises like Terminator, Jurassic Park, Alien, Ghostbusters, etc....have either all already come back with sequels, reboots, prequels or remakes...and I feel like I've gotten everything I want out of them.

Occasionally I get into new shows, like Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul obviously didn't exist when I was a kid, but then once those shows end I am content.

We've gotten to the point where we have Obi-wan, Boba Fett and Darth Maul actually coming back in canon. A Star Trek series set post-Nemesis. TMNT has had two series like IDW and Nick 2012 cartoon that mixed Mirage characters with Fred Wolf/Playmates characters like people speculated or wanted back when the 4kids series was airing. We have had multiple Batman and Spider-man movie reboots. Futurama already came back from the dead more than once. A Dragonball Super sequel series with Toriyama at the helm which I never in a million years thought would happen after GT bombed.

It's basically gotten to the point where I feel like anything I wanted...has already happened. Or it got botched to the point where I'm content to just move on. Anyone else feel this way?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I posted about this in another thread, as adult you don't get into as much stuff because it doesn't have the wonder it did as a kid, sure it happens from time to time with a franchise but it's rare. It doesn't help that we mostly get reboots rather than new ideas most of the time so there's even less content to go for.

There's still a few things I'd like to see perhaps new versions of or whatever but at this point I don't care about any new superhero cartoon or movies, sure I'll watch them but I can't get excited for Batman Movie 13 knahen I got into Batman Begins in my teens or Forever/&Robin as a kid. Same with TMNT, we've seen so many stories it's hard to get too excited even if I love TMNT. But I'd welcome a new version of Freakazoid for example since it hasn't been rebooted to death but I'd rather have a new show but none have really made me get super excited, I liked Kipo and Glitch Techs but not the same as say if I had been a kid.

I'm fine with this as well since as an adult I have other responsibilities and other hobbies which take my time so I don't have time to watch stuff anyway. I'm not all jaded either, if something was surprising enough I'd get hyped up like a little kid again.

Edit:
To add to this I learned from Star Wars and Pokemon that new versions don't ruin what you love, I can still love the version that I liked, I'll always have the things that I love and there's plenty of content from that era for me to enjoy like 90s Star Wars books and whatnot so I can geek out on just that version. A new version won't ruin my childhood, especially if it's a reboot unrelated to it. It hurts more when it was like the sequel trilogy but whatever, I can ignore it, there's more SWs content than I'll ever be able to consume from the era that I do love. Sometimes things just aren't for you anymore. Many hated Episode 1, I was a kid so I loved it, I don't care people who weren't the right age didn't enjoy it, I loved Godzilla 1998 and I feel no shame and I won't call him "Zilla". If I rage over new stuff it's the same exact thing. The SWs sequels suck, who cares, I won't argue with those who like them, I'll just avoid that.

Last edited by sdp; 07-22-2023 at 11:23 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Over the past couple of years and the trajectory of the arts and how they've become weaponized by the far left... my hope of seeing truly cool movies of my favorite this or that has become pretty much nil. There would be hope if any of these properties were independently owned still but they're all owned by megacorporations now. Every single one of them. And every one of these corporations can't wait to show you how progressive they are by packing their (largely children's fare) with heroic warrior women talking about their wives or big coming out scenes, changing every redhead to a black person, etc.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

It's actually much the opposite for me. Many of the things that I loved as a kid weren't even remotely in the public consciousness, but are now actually some of the top tier I.P.'s in entertainment. And while that's been really neat in it's own right, the whole thing never peaked for me because I never truly got what I wanted to see.

For me, an Iron Man trilogy with a solid narrative would've been all I could ask for. Iron Man 1, a part two "Armor Wars" and then a Part 3 "Hands of the Mandarin" would've been amazing. We didn't even remotely get close to that.

Another character I'm a hardcore fan of is Quasar. But now it looks like they are putting the Quantum Bands on friggin' Ms. Marvel in that new T.V. show, which is about as bad as it gets for a Quasar fan. On it's own merits, Ms. Marvel would've been fine, but it's that kind of cannibalization and disregard for fans that make the whole thing a sequence of missed beats.

Star Wars came back. And all we heard was "a bunch of 40 year old dudes need to move on". And they did their thing and it sucked.

The list goes on and on. Star Trek. TMNT to some extent. And more.

And so, if I have "peaked" in terms of what I want from TV and Movies, then it's because the peak was in terms of money I'd give these studios because now I don't financially reward them if it even remotely smells of "agenda", "insult", or "disregard" in their output.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:56 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

For example we've had a lot of Spider-Man live-action movies, to the point where they did the unthinkable and brought Tobey Maguire back, something that would have sounded like ridiculous fanfiction just 5 years ago. The whole Avengers movies in general basically gave people what they wanted when back in the 90's and early 2000's we barely had any "good" superhero movies.

Many TV shows that were canceled like Young Justice, Futurama, etc. all got revived with new seasons that I never thought would happen. We have Star Wars TV shows about Boba Fett and Obi-wan, something that felt like fanfiction.

Ghostbusters Afterlife wrapped up the original cast and was the Ghostbusters 3 people wanted. Terminator is pretty much done into the ground at this point. Jurassic Park is bringing back the original cast for the final movie. Star Trek has been rebooted with movies and a Picard and Pike series.

TMNT has 3 proper cartoons that unless we get a serious Mirage-style show at some point, there's really nothing else they can do but more bizarre Rise of the TMNT type off-shoots that nobody really wants. And after the IDW comic ends, I don't even want to know what they'll do to reboot TMNT comics after that.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Depends what stuff you're into, I'd say.

As someone who mostly watches anime, there's still some good stuff I have to watch.

Live action TV? Not much into it overall. Movies? Maybe once the whole superhero genre thing dies out a bit I'll find the premises of several major blockbusters interesting agiwn.

The fact the entertainment industry seems to be running out of ideas and making remakes and reboots so often these days doesn't help either. I understand it's very hard to be original these days, but you can still not have the most original and creative plot and premise and still make an interesting piece of work. Having good characters will help.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

I’d say so, it’s come into full circle actually.

Yet oddly enough the more reboots we get from older franchises the weirder the animation becomes and they keep tweaking the stories.

Ben 10 2016 reboot

Pokémon

Teenage turtles

Scooby Doo

Rugrats

It’s really weird.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:34 PM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I love your memes

As for the topic. Honestly, yes.

While I'm open to new tv/shows movies, I feel like like I could live out the rest of my life with just my top 5 movies. I'm the type to stick to the same handful of films and shows rather than needing variety.

If I really love a film or an episode of a show, I could watch it once every day easily, or even twice in a row and have every single frame and sound completely memorised in my head. Am I the only one who has certain films and episodes downloaded onto their consciousness?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
If I really love a film or an episode of a show, I could watch it once every day easily, or even twice in a row and have every single frame and sound completely memorised in my head. Am I the only one who has certain films and episodes downloaded onto their consciousness?
I've seen every episode of the original TMNT cartoon about 50 times.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:34 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not too far off, FWLeo. The stuff I love best I could easily never get bored of, and that would keep me plenty busy and entertained for the rest of my life.

I've said before, I don't especially "need" new stuff. Like, I really don't need another TMNT movie, ever. 1990 suits me just fine. Just for one example. All newer versions of stuff like TMNT does is remind me how much better the old stuff was and make me pissed off that things can never be that good again. Mostly, for a lot of the reasons Andrew mentioned, but also, nobody believes in Trying Hard anymore.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 05-27-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm not too far off, FWLeo. The stuff I love best I could easily never get bored of, and that would keep me plenty busy and entertained fore the rest of my life.

I've said before, I don't especially "need" new stuff. Like, I really don't need another TMNT movie, ever. 1990 suits me just fine. Just for one example. All newer versions of stuff like TMNT does is remind me how much better the old stuff was and make me pissed off that things can never be that good again. Mostly, for a lot of the reasons Andrew mentioned, but also, nobody believes in Trying Hard anymore.
I'm not surprised.

Some years ago, I had a conversation with this 40 year old guy about music and how he disliked most of modern day music and mostly listened to music from the 70s and 80s.

He said he just didn't feel compelled to search for new music anymore because he had reached an age where he already had found enough music to entertain him for the rest of his life. And also said that's something that tends to happen to people the older they get.

The conversation was about music, but I suppose it can be applied to other mediums as well.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

I get that mindset. I kind of hit that point in the early-00s. But I have to admit, my life wouldn't be anywhere near as rich as it is today if I hadn't come across Dead Sara, Angels and Airwaves, and a few others in the last few years. I mean, I'm not a big rap guy but Madchild is the greatest. And I'd never know that, if I hadn't gotten curious to see if Swollen Members had more than just one good song.

Sometimes it pays to click that little "Recommended" button on YouTube. Never know what you'll fall into.

So I am... I guess we'll say I'm open to new experiences but not necessarily seeking them out. Most "newer stuff" I like in entertainment falls into my lap serendipitously, I don't especially go looking for it. I admit that I'm often pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-28-2022, 01:56 AM   #13
Wildcat
Foot Elite

There’s a great Family Guy joke I wanted to post in regards to some of these replies but can’t find a gif...*Peter exhales through nose, fogs up entire car*. Don’t feel like posting the clip

I kind of feel like I should list a bunch of things I’m NOT into because I probably come off as liking everything since I tend to defend stuff but there’s so many franchises I never got into.

Saying entertainment has shifted to becoming some form of political thing is a huge exaggeration. There’s definitely certain times but not to the level some think. People like running with this idea to be dramatic.

I do agree with what SDP mentioned about getting into less things as adults because the “wonder” we had as kids is not the same. This is why people perceive their generation as better. You just grew up and understand things more. Nothing got worse or necessarily better.

Another thing is, generally speaking, a lot of things retell the same stories in their own way. So if you’re older than around 30 you’ve likely seen something similar. It’s why sequels are unfairly judged compared to their originals. The mind has already been exposed to whatever the concept is.

So obviously it’s a no for me. I want all my favorite things to keep going even though there will be slumps or not-so-good parts along the way. They deserve to continue beyond their shortcomings.

I think I’ve been able to retain some of that “wonder”. For things I’m really into anyway. I still get really excited when a new movie or whatever is announced. I’m not cynical towards movies/tv to begin with so that helps. Obviously it’s good to be objective but not cynical.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:11 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

On an optimistic note, I like to be "surprised" by things. This happens once in a while, even these days.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #15
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I love your memes

While I'm open to new tv/shows movies, I feel like like I could live out the rest of my life with just my top 5 movies. I'm the type to stick to the same handful of films and shows rather than needing variety.

I’m nearly the same except most tv shows don’t interest me nowadays. Even ones I loved when I was younger. I used to be more of a tv person, but I lean more towards movies now. I prefer the old ones, though. So many new ones are bland and forgettable.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm way more into video games than movies or TV nowadays. I find myself getting bored "just watching" something. Feels too passive.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Reading some of these posts I suppose I can say that in terms of that context, then sure yeah I've probably peaked in those terms.

One thing I definitely agree with is that the volume of material is so thick nowadays that yeah, I could probably survive the rest of my life on a few dozen specific DVD's or DVD sets and streaming and be fine. And at this point, between streaming and high-end home-theater, I think the real litmus test for a movie is "do you physically own a copy of it?"

I guess on that note, it's actually pretty rare nowadays that I bring in "complete sets" of new material on disc now. Probably the only franchise in the last many years I've bought all of the movies on in 4k have been the Godzilla/Kong stuff. I'm not even remotely close to actually owning all of the Marvel output on physical media.

In my 40's I've definitely reached a point in life where I legitimately question how many more times I'll be able to, let alone want to, sit through films that I love. I love Iron Man, but I suppose in reality I've only sat through the first one maybe once in the last several years. Thinking about it now, it seems more like the best excuse to rewatch something is with every new generation of format (i.e., blu-ray to 4k). Or when I get a new T.V. I'll sample a bunch of movies.

Last edited by IMJ; 05-28-2022 at 08:24 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #18
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's basically gotten to the point where I feel like anything I wanted...has already happened. Or it got botched to the point where I'm content to just move on. Anyone else feel this way?
Let's face it, the best years of our life have probably already happened and gone for good.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I love your memes

No, I am also like that. I know the lines and trivia and about all there is to know about The Andy Griffith Show, Full House, Ninja Turtles especially (1987), DC especially Batman,but I watch it 100 times over and still enjoy it. I can watch MeTV all Sunday and not watch a primetime lineup on the main networks all week.

The best versions of the things I like are already made and it will not be equaled or surpassed in my mind. Why? What we are initially introduced to we tend to see as definitive. As a 90s' kid, the original six Power Rangers despite countless replacements are the strongest team there will ever be, 8 generations of Pok'emon later, who is better to be by Ash's side other than Brock or Misty? No one. Are there better versions? Those that got invested later would likely think so because of when he/she was introduced. Sure its part nostalgia that enforces certain things to stick out as well as a sense of familiarity. It could also be the quality was also there for that particular period that may be lost in others.

I thought about this particular mindset with Spider-Man 3:No Way Home. I was invested in the Toby McGuire characters, not any of the others. When I think of Spider-Man I think of the first three films and Spider-Man:TAS. Sure, the MCU version of Holland gets praise and there is a cult following that is invested in the short-lived Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, but neither is anything I would watch more than once and think is just okay. Why? It is not set in the Spider-Man version I find most endearing to the character and franchise as a whole. Sure, both the first three films and animated series have their sore spots with me, but nothing is perfect. I could go into details, but I will save that for another time.

Mentioning TMNT being that its a Ninja Turtles forum, well the 1987 cartoon will always be what defines the franchise and be defined in my eyes. However, I worry that those who prefer its dark parody roots may inject an overdose of camp that was not present such as seen with the character set crossing over with other versions and being extremely goofy, ineffective, and lazy taking on silly 'threats'. I would like to see more of what was shown in seasons 7 and 8. A strong set of guest characters, overarching plot, serious threats yet fun. I like to use the Batman esque analogy. Adam West is too goofy, Frank Miller is too dark. Meet in the middle by blending them together with Denny O'Neil and the porridge is just right.

I accept the fact that while I am a lifelong TMNT fan, the franchise peaked early and while it may have some spikes as time goes on it will produce something I can enjoy as much as the 1987 cartoon or concurrent iterations in New Line films and Archie Comics. I did really enjoy the 2003 cartoon, but it didn't hit the mark with me as a teenager as much as the 1987 cartoon. The chief things I harp on about are due to preferences that were established based on becoming invested in the 1987 cartoon first. It did fit more with my matured need for serialization and characterization, but it allowed me to realize preferences are often set in the formative years and hard to become invested in something completely new in an older age. If one does its because of pre-existing preferences from the formative years that either is directly tied to or at least remotely subconsciously reminding us of something we enjoyed.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:08 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think Frank Miller Batman is too "dark" at all. I think the "darkness" is just about right.

It's just that it's poorly written and far more pleased with itself, in spite of being poorly written, than it has any right to be.

And yes, I partially include "The Dark Knight Returns" in that. It is NOT anywhere near as good as people say it is. "Year One", however, is pretty much perfect. He did right with that one.

But it's not the tone that's the problem. It's that the writer is a narcissist who really, really wants you to agree with them that they're the first writer who ever had a good idea.