The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #321
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Sources say that Flotsam and Jetsam won’t be appearing in the film.

https://thedisinsider.com/2022/05/26...ermaid-remake/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:07 PM   #322
Shark_Blade
Emperor

No biggie they’re not that crucial.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #323
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

This looks so visually stunning! I am really looking forward to it!

Old 09-09-2022, 06:38 PM   #324
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm really not interested in watching The Little Black Mermaid.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:50 PM   #325
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I love everything, the world, her looks, her VOICE. Blown away.

I’m just worried Melissa McCarthy as Ursula. I only ever seen her in the female Ghostbusters with the queef fart joke so…
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:25 AM   #326
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is it racist if you're not even really attracted to white chicks and you don't like them race-swapping Ariel?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:59 AM   #327
Sumac
Banned

Without a doubt!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #328
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Is it racist if you're not even really attracted to white chicks and you don't like them race-swapping Ariel?
In their infinite and worldly wisdom, the people of social media will say it's racist. And in return the people who don't like it will succumb to a shaming tactic because they are afraid to speak the truth about the situation.

Instead of making up phony arguments like "melanin wouldn't matter because she's under the water where there is no light", people are simply better off saying some version of the truth:

"I don't like the race swaps because these same people complain about appropriation of their culture yet want to infiltrate anything created by white people and I think it's ridiculous. On top of that, they are hiding behind a blanket of 'inclusion' when in fact these swaps are more about destabilizing and infiltrating anything middle-America considers to be traditional. And so, no I don't support race swapping characters of any story from their original content. And many of these are born of white cultures in the exact same way you wouldn't want Shaka Zulu or Don Quixote turned into a white male under the phony argument that it 'shouldn't matter'. The simple fact is that if it's racist that I don't like race swaps then by your own logic it is also racist to eliminate a white role in a race swap, although I don't expect nearly any of you to see the logic in that truth destroys your bull$#!( completely."

And then most importantly, don't pay for woke $#!(. Continue to not pay for woke $#!(.

Also remember that this $#!(fest of appropriation of Norwegian culture was announced all the way back in 2019 when the greedy masses of Hollywood were doing anything to jump onboard with the societal mania of woke $#!( for their cash grab. By the time this movie comes out in 2023 it will be 4 years out of spec for regular people's irritation with woke $#!(. It's a slow ship, but just keep bankrupting it as it sinks.

Last edited by IMJ; 09-10-2022 at 08:38 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #329
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Fans on social media are complaining that Flounder looks kind of bland, but maybe he just needs more work done before the film is released.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/di...r-live-action/
Old 09-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #330
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I love everything, the world, her looks, her VOICE. Blown away.

I’m just worried Melissa McCarthy as Ursula. I only ever seen her in the female Ghostbusters with the queef fart joke so…
If you're blown away by THAT....I dont know what else to tell you.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 05:50 PM   #331
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
If you're blown away by THAT....I dont know what else to tell you.
I think Aquaman set a new precedent for underwater flicks and how we view "undersea on camera" much the same way that The Abyss advanced underwater movies for it's time.

I imagine that agree or disagree with the casting, this movie will be a CGi eyecandy fest of cool underwater material for SJW's and manchild mermaid fans everywhere. Which is cool.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:11 PM   #332
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is writing new songs for the film, has a message to people being racist about Bailey’s casting.

https://variety.com/2022/film/column...ey-1235385039/
Old 09-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #333
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Lin-Manuel Miranda, who is writing new songs for the film, has a message to people being racist about Bailey’s casting.

What, specifically, qualifies racism in disliking the casting? Is it inherently racist if people feel that an anglo-redheaded character shouldn't be changed? Because if it is, then by that same logic it is racist to appropriate and then change character's race.

"Race shouldn't matter" only works logically in one direction, whether someone can compute that logic or not. If race doesn't matter, then it shouldn't matter to change it in the first place. Therefore it would be adding greater diversity by drawing upon a given race's fables and presenting those to the world, instead of infiltrating other race's fables simply because your culture has nothing of equal history on it's own merits.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:40 PM   #334
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I mean... She doesn't look a thing like Ariel but that's purposely the kind of outrage clicks Disney was banking on.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #335
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean... She doesn't look a thing like Ariel but that's purposely the kind of outrage clicks Disney was banking on.
And that actually shouldn't be the outrage. The outrage should be about the phony "representation" argument, the infiltration and the appropriation under the guise of "Equality".

The melting pot exists, but it exists by contributing your fables and culture instead of complaining that "nothing is for us", forcing your way in, or asking for sandwiches from an employee under assault while the hood tears up a store. That just separates the material in the melting pot.

You know what exemplified "the melting pot"? Sun-Man. Sun-Man is f'n awesome. You know why? Because a black mother saw a market need based on her kids. And sure, she was inspired by He-Man to do it, but she used her brains, the free market, and her sensibility and made a bold entrepreneurial move. And now, decades later it's grown and she contributed to society through it. That woman is awesome and amazing. That woman is stunning and brave.

But you know what she didn't do? She didn't bitch and moan about her own f'n shortcomings and she didn't start an infiltration campaign to make He-Man black. Instead she did the American thing and created something that worked along side other culture's mythology and items. The woman who created Sun-man is not only smart but she's a paragon example of an endeavoring American. "Black Ariel" and the virtue-signalers pimping her are not.

Last edited by IMJ; 09-30-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:04 PM   #336
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
And that actually shouldn't be the outrage. The outrage should be about the phony "representation" argument, the infiltration and the appropriation under the guise of "Equality".

The melting pot exists, but it exists by contributing your fables and culture instead of complaining that "nothing is for us", forcing your way in, or asking for sandwiches from an employee under assault while the hood tears up a store. That just separates the material in the melting pot.

You know what exemplified "the melting pot"? Sun-Man. Sun-Man is f'n awesome. You know why? Because a black mother saw a market need based on her kids. And sure, she was inspired by He-Man to do it, but she used her brains, the free market, and her sensibility and made a bold entrepreneurial move. And now, decades later it's grown and she contributed to society through it. That woman is awesome and amazing. That woman is stunning and brave.

But you know what she didn't do? She didn't bitch and moan about her own f'n shortcomings and she didn't start an infiltration campaign to make He-Man black. Instead she did the American thing and created something that worked along side other culture's mythology and items. The woman who created Sun-man is not only smart but she's a paragon example of an endeavoring American. "Black Ariel" and the virtue-signalers pimping her are not.
It could be both, but I do agree with your points.

Despite a lot of people saying 'only white people are complaining about black Ariel' but there are several black people on the interwebs saying that these companies need to stop blackwashing pre-existing 'white' stories and create more original characters based on lore, legends and myths from other cultures too.

I'm pretty sure there's a plethora of African legends just waiting to be used in movies, cartoons and books.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #337
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post

At this point no-one gives a ****.
Everyone knows why it was done, and no-one gives a **** about being called "racist" by some Hollywood nobody, who most likely more skeletons in the closet than most of the so called "racists".
Old 10-02-2022, 01:42 AM   #338
Leo656
The Franchise

I legit can't stand the "Why should anyone even CARE?" argument. Like yes, the world has bigger problems. Which means maybe it's never a good idea to antagonize on purpose with frivolous things like this, the world has enough discord already and they CREATE MORE because it's cheap advertising.

Race-flipping is never, ever, EVER done "to create more opportunities", and that's why I hate it on its face. That one positive is a SIDE EFFECT but it's NEVER the true reason. The one and only true reason it ever happens is, "It's gonna piss off all 'the right people', get us some quick and easy attention, AND make our project bulletproof from criticism, all in one fell swoop." To even imply that it's ever done for any other reason is the absolute peak of either naivete or disingenuousness.

If it "didn't matter", they wouldn't bother doing it and would leave well enough alone. If it "didn't matter", they wouldn't have spent the past DECADE replacing almost every single fictional redhead in movies or TV with a black or otherwise non-white person. And that right there illustrates how it's NOT just "finding the best person for the job" because if you pay attention, you inevitably notice the pattern of "Flip a ginger". I mean yes, they do it with other white characters, too, but most often it's the redheaded ones, and when anything anywhere in life happens with SUCH consistency, no matter what it is, it is NEVER happenstance and always a deliberate choice.

Even in cases where it worked out great, like Fishburne as Perry White, which I genuinely enjoyed... it's tainted, because I follow the Superman movie productions very closely a lot of times and "Tee-hee, we're gonna have 'Perry White' be a BLACK guy, ain't we clever!" has been something WB was trying to do since 1993 and just finally got a chance to work it in. But a lame play on words shouldn't be a reason to do something like that, and it illustrates just how dumb these peoples' priorities are. And again, I liked that specific casting, but it bothers me that it was 100% done for the dumbest possible reason, that being "A guy named 'White' is Black." Hah f*cking hah, are we 8? C'mon.

Or like the casting for Death in the Sandman show, which someone tried to give me sh*t about on this board recently. And once more, if a person can't see how casting a black actress to play a character who is canonically LITERALLY bone-white was a decision made purely out of spite, that person is beyond help or reason. It was a "F*ck You, Deal With It!" casting. They ALL are, 100% of the time. They claim "We just wanna get the right person for the role and be 'inclusive' in doing so," but that's a lie. It's cheap heat, that's all it ever was and all it ever will be.

"But why does it even matter?" Because it does. Because it doesn't work in reverse, and shouldn't. You will never see Chloe Grace Moretz play Storm in an X-Men movie. You wouldn't even see Meghan Markle ("She's 'technically' black!") play Storm in an X-Men movie. You wouldn't see Ryan Reynolds play Blade or Black Panther. And anything that doesn't work in both directions is called a "Double Standard", and back in my day we recognized and understood that double-standards are always rotten.

It's just stupid. It's just a dumb, silly, creatively-bankrupt thing to do that's only ever done for the worst possible reasons while they lie and pretend it's only done for the BEST reasons. I can't stand liars and I don't like double-standards, so this sh*t is for the goddamn birds, with me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:26 AM   #339
Sumac
Banned

In my book established character means their race and sexual orientation are part of the character as well. If you make character black or gay - it is automatically changes character though and thorough. Which is why I am against it.

If you want to promote diversity and whatnot - create a new character and make them whatever you want. Parasiting on pre-established characters and pretending that it "makes it easier", because, "it is hard to create new franchises - is retarded.

It is not hard and there are plenty of new franchises popping left and right here and now. Its just you are lazy, dumb, incapable ass, who can't create ****, which is why you forced to use other mythos to prop your "empowering fiction".
Old 10-02-2022, 03:42 AM   #340
Leo656
The Franchise

Right? They go so far as to completely contradict their own talking points.

Activists will go to great lengths - rightly - to try and educate straight, white males that being a non-white person, an LGBTQ+ person, or a woman, means that your entire life is different from the next class or race of people, that the lives most black people or gay people live with have countless fundamental differences from their white and straight counterparts. Race or religion or sexual identity isn't just a coat of paint or a jacket to be taken on and off, it is a fundamental part of an individual's entire life experience.

They will explain this, how "Even if all other factors are 1:1, my life as a black person will forever be fundamentally different in every way from your life as a white person." They're not lying, and they're correct in trying to spread awareness of these things so as to create a better understanding of how identity affects experience.

BUT. Then a movie will come out and a white character will now be black, or a straight character will now be gay, and those same people will say "It's just the skin color/sexual preference, everything else is the same!"

Bullsh*t, because you yourselves have spent a great deal of time and energy very thoughtfully explaining how if "just" a person's race, skin color or sexuality is different, their ENTIRE lived experience will also be different.

You can't have it both ways. I mean, I know since it's a fairy tale set "under the sea" it can technically be whatever. But let's take it back closer to "reality" for a second to explore this further. Let's go back to my Perry White example. Frank Langella played Perry White; so did Laurence Fishburne. They both did great with "their versions" of Perry, but anyone with any lived experience at all could tell you that despite both being "Perry White", White Perry and Black Perry 100% had to have lived entirely different lives, had totally different struggles, triumphs, obstacles and experiences, and most of that would be because of their race. You can only in the very loosest sense claim that "It's the exact same character". Superficially, yes. Realistically, no. They each would have gone to different schools, had different friends, lived in different neighborhoods, shopped at different stores, eaten at different restaurants, celebrated holidays differently, had different views on politics, religion, the police, social justice, etc. etc. etc. They would NOT be "the exact same person with different skin tone", I'm sorry, that isn't how things work.

Now, a person can - and many have - argued that all of this is "thinking way too hard about stuff that isn't a big deal", and I guess there's an inkling of truth to that. But as always, my counterpoint to that is, if you're asking someone to disregard simple Logic as a means to gain favor for your own opinion on a topic, you've already lost the argument. "It makes sense if you just stop thinking about it" should automatically be a forfeiture of any debate as a matter of course.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote