The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Netflix loses 200,000 subscribers in Q1, 2 million more to be lost in Q2

But hey, diversity and inclusion. And that Netflix Rise of the TMNT movie that's coming soon. Surely it'll all turn around.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/net...js_EJSTRyHO5hw

Makes sense, though. I don't really watch Netflix like I used to. About the only things I plan to watch on it to come are Stranger Things season 4 and Cobra Kai season 5. I was going to do another watchthrough of all the old Star Treks (this time with daughter), at least, but they're gone now. Mad Men, too, but gone.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I mean, Cuties is the hill they want to die on, so be it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
mrmaczaps
Banned

Good for them.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I was going to do another watchthrough of all the old Star Treks (this time with daughter), at least, but they're gone now. Mad Men, too, but gone.
Makes me glad I actually "bought" that digital content on VUDU.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:30 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm sure I noticed some Star Trek still on there still over here (not Discovery) but we don't have Paramount + in the UK yet, when we do I guess that will change and Prime will be losing Picard also.

I guess there are varying reasons for people? some political from what I see, some are sick of them cancelling shows (or so I saw in a tweet somewhere yesterday), there's now more streaming competition too. I still watch it a lot so don't plan to drop my subscription at this point.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:45 AM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Animation department's been reportedly gutted as a result.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:40 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Did anyone actually subscribe to the service to watch its original works? I thought they were generally considered trash?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Did anyone actually subscribe to the service to watch its original works? I thought they were generally considered trash?
There's some pretty cool Netflix original movies and shows, sure. "Dark" is incredible. "The Rain" was cool. "Stranger Things," great. "Cobra Kai" is a Netflix exclusive show now... so of course that.

I notice that it seems to mostly only be the younger-aiming Netflix stuff that is rife with woke stuff. Stuff like "The Kissing Booth" and that sort of material. You could make it maybe 30-40 minutes or more and go, "Huh, I guess this one is agenda free, how refreshing" but sooner or later... BAM, a character becomes gay or a woman introduces the main character(s) to her wife, etc.. Without fail. It's very important to them.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

People pay for online streaming services?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:19 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
I notice that it seems to mostly only be the younger-aiming Netflix stuff that is rife with woke stuff. Stuff like "The Kissing Booth" and that sort of material. You could make it maybe 30-40 minutes or more and go, "Huh, I guess this one is agenda free, how refreshing" but sooner or later... BAM, a character becomes gay or a woman introduces the main character(s) to her wife, etc.. Without fail. It's very important to them.
They have good reason to target children. Whoever controls the youth, controls the future.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:09 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It's not about the money, it's about sending a message.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:39 AM   #12
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
People pay for online streaming services?
Says Mr Pirate here...?

We have Disney+, Amazon Prime (but that's a side effect bonus as the missus buys so much dog and child related supplies from there) and I think we had Netflix because she loves The Crown.
Old 04-22-2022, 01:52 AM   #13
newfan
Mad Scientist

I first got Netflix as I wanted to watch the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, also I wanted to check it out as it was so popular.
I still don't have Disney plus, being Stubborn about it but will likely check it out at some point.

With Netflix gutting the animation dept, I couldn't really find any info on that, is that totally doing away with it or just cutting it back? I saw a tweet that they were going to make 'Bone' (I think it's called that) but have now canned it, not sure if it's the same for other upcoming or current animated projects.

Last edited by newfan; 04-22-2022 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:53 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I first got Netflix as I wanted to watch the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, also I wanted to check it out as it was so popular.
I still don't have Disney plus, being Stubborn about it but will likely check it out at some point.

With Netflix gutting the animation dept, I couldn't really find any info on that, is that totally doing away with it or just cutting it back? I saw a tweet that they were going to make 'Bone' (I think it's called that) but have now canned it, not sure if it's the same for other upcoming or current animated projects.
Nobody knows, but probably just cutbacks on animated stuff not terribly far along that might fail.

And I greatly enjoyed Sabrina. The first season was... pretty intriguing. But it fell pretty quickly into woke stuff and then became super "safe." So many shows are becoming like this. Even Sabrina's "sister" show, Riverdale. I admit, it sucked me in. Great 2.5 seasons. Then just mired in wokeness and inclusivity and no more taking chances.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:54 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

double post
Old 04-22-2022, 03:18 AM   #16
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Nobody knows, but probably just cutbacks on animated stuff not terribly far along that might fail.

And I greatly enjoyed Sabrina. The first season was... pretty intriguing. But it fell pretty quickly into woke stuff and then became super "safe." So many shows are becoming like this. Even Sabrina's "sister" show, Riverdale. I admit, it sucked me in. Great 2.5 seasons. Then just mired in wokeness and inclusivity and no more taking chances.
That one was a late night bed time show for me (Sabrina) as in I just kept binging till late hours. I've actually never seen an eposide of Riverdale but it was reccomended to me as something I might like, I might check it out if the first few seasons are good.

I've watched a lot of the docuseries on Netflix, you know things like the unsolved murder stuff and then things like Haunting of Hill house. I also got into a series called You which I thought was well done to start, ahead of series 4 I think it's the type of story that just can't really go on forever but I'll still take a look at it.
Old 04-22-2022, 03:44 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Every once in a while Riverdale will have an episode that will blow me away, writing-wise. Like wow. And then it'll be 5-7 episodes of crap. Super, super uneven. The first season or two was way stronger. This seems to be consistent with all CW shows like Arrow, Flash, etc.. They fire strong on all cylinders early then... stop caring? Just go full on woke with 3rd rate writers because whatever, and the writers that made it a success are already onto the next show?
Old 04-22-2022, 04:02 AM   #18
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Every once in a while Riverdale will have an episode that will blow me away, writing-wise. Like wow. And then it'll be 5-7 episodes of crap. Super, super uneven. The first season or two was way stronger. This seems to be consistent with all CW shows like Arrow, Flash, etc.. They fire strong on all cylinders early then... stop caring? Just go full on woke with 3rd rate writers because whatever, and the writers that made it a success are already onto the next show?
Yeah Arrow took a dive for me too, I watched it to the end but it had started dragging before that, much preferred the earlier seasons. I didn't really watch the other shows so can't comment but I've seen complaints of fatigue with them.

I won't go into Riverdale with great expectations then, I'll just try a few eps and see if I can get into it.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:19 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I won't go into Riverdale with great expectations then, I'll just try a few eps and see if I can get into it.
You probably will. The early Riverdale stuff is super risqué and bold. In ways they chickened out on very soon after. You'll see what I mean.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:28 AM   #20
AquaParade
Banned

1. Competition has increased, as networks have taken their own shows back to their own streaming services.

2. Raising prices

3. Lockdown ending during last quarter.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote