The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

2012 was a decade ago... What games were you playing at the time?

2012 was the time I returned to being a regular gamer. Between 2009-2012 I didn't play a lot of video games for the most part. But in late 2012 I joined Steam and was now back to gaming again.

I definitely started Deus EX Human Revolution sometime before Christmas. The game was only a year old at the time, but it was already going in sale for dirt cheap. I paid like 1.99 for it iirc. Ridiculous price for a rather new game that would have been worth the full price. Probably my best deal ever

Before that, I played some Donkey Kong Country on the Wii and A Link to the Past on the SNES during spring and summer. Which were both retro by then. So it's not like I was back to being up to date yet. But yes, slowly I was getting back into playing games regularly now.

What about you? What were you playing in 2012?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

2012 was the year Nintendo released the Nintendo Wii U in November.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Yikes, I'd have to either check post history or the dates on my Save files. Since I almost never played games when they were new, I can't go at all by what was coming out at the time, other than I know I was still playing WWE '12 from the previous Fall since I always wore those games out until the new one hit.

I wouldn't have been playing it exactly 10 years ago since I didn't buy it right away, but I do think I picked up Lollipop Chainsaw in Fall of that year and I had a ton of fun with that one, even though I didn't play it very long.

I think I saw Save files from 2012 for both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City when I replayed them recently.

I want to say that was the year I was messing with Elder Scrolls: Morrowind but if I'm being honest I really don't remember.

As I said, it gets really hard to remember because I do things so randomly. There was undoubtedly a bunch of stuff on SNES, N64, and Gamecube, too.

Not a bad question but I'm very poorly-equipped to answer it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yikes, I'd have to either check post history or the dates on my Save files. Since I almost never played games when they were new, I can't go at all by what was coming out at the time, other than I know I was still playing WWE '12 from the previous Fall since I always wore those games out until the new one hit.

I wouldn't have been playing it exactly 10 years ago since I didn't buy it right away, but I do think I picked up Lollipop Chainsaw in Fall of that year and I had a ton of fun with that one, even though I didn't play it very long.

I think I saw Save files from 2012 for both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City when I replayed them recently.

I want to say that was the year I was messing with Elder Scrolls: Morrowind but if I'm being honest I really don't remember.

As I said, it gets really hard to remember because I do things so randomly. There was undoubtedly a bunch of stuff on SNES, N64, and Gamecube, too.

Not a bad question but I'm very poorly-equipped to answer it.
That's OK. Between 2009 and 2012 is easy for me to remember what I mostly played since I didn't play games that much during that time. Now, after 2013... that's gonna be harder.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Skyward Sword I think. Beyond that, Bioshock and the Orange Box maybe? I don't know, I've never had that much money and always waited to buy games used or on sale, so I rarely ever end up playing the latest releases.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Icebot
Foot Elite

I didn’t play much in 2012 but I’m pretty sure I played Super Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. DS /Wii, Wave Race 64, Avatar The Burning Earth GBA, ninja turtles 2007 GBA, Sonic Heroes.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Funnily enough, the exact same games that I play today. Counter-Strike Condition Zero and Pokemon.

Other than that, the only major difference is that I have a Switch now but I didn't before. Back in 2012, ps3 was my console, and my favourite game on it was Call of Duty 4.

Nowadays, my ps3 still works like its brand new, but I haven't used it in almost a year as I either don't have time for gaming, or when I do, I'm either playing Smash Ultimate on Switch, Counter-Strike on laptop, or Pokemon on mobile. I've naturally always been a "one game per console" type of guy, picking up one game and mastering it from top to bottom as opposed to having a huge library.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Funnily enough, the exact same games that I play today. Counter-Strike Condition Zero and Pokemon.

Other than that, the only major difference is that I have a Switch now but I didn't before. Back in 2012, ps3 was my console, and my favourite game on it was Call of Duty 4.

Nowadays, my ps3 still works like its brand new, but I haven't used it in almost a year as I either don't have time for gaming, or when I do, I'm either playing Smash Ultimate on Switch, Counter-Strike on laptop, or Pokemon on mobile. I've naturally always been a "one game per console" type of guy, picking up one game and mastering it from top to bottom as opposed to having a huge library.
I've always found it both interesting and strange how some people just seem to play the same 3 or 4 games for most of their lives. Don't you ever get tired or burnt out of playing the same stuff over and over again?

I have known guys who only play Final Fantasy games and guys who only play Football Manager or Civilization games. And they sink hundreds, if not thousands, into those games. Like, there's people who buy Football Manager every year and sinks about 600 hours into each game. That's crazy.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

If it were like, WWF No Mercy or one of the other N64 wrestling games, maybe. I did pour literal years into those.

Otherwise, I'd go nuts. My collection is pretty huge and I have every intention of playing all of it eventually. I love games. All types of games. When I was a kid, it was mostly Mario, Zelda, and wrestling. But over the last 20 years I've gotten into Everything and now I feel like a f*cking moron for all the stuff I never played as a kid.

I guess it evened out because it keeps me plenty busy Now.

I have to thank my wife for a lot of it. When we met, she was into a ton of stuff like fighting and racing games that I'd only barely ever messed with, but some of them looked cool and then I got hooked. So now I play a little of Everything and I could never go back.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:47 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

I can relate to that. When I was a kid I had different tastes and was more close minded when it came to games so I mostly played it safe. That's also because I was only allowed 2 or maybe 3 new games per year because it was my mother who bought them. So it didn't seem like a good strategy for me to choose a game from a series and genre I was not familiar with. What if I ended up disliking it? Therefore I mostly kept to my favourite series and wrestling and football games . While EVERYONE was playing the GTA games, I was playing Here Comes the Pain, Smackdown vs. Raw 2006, Tekken 5 and Pro Evolution Soccer 5 on my PS2 slim.

Then I became an adult and was no longer reliant on my mother or older brother to buy me games. Therefore I had now complete freedom to play more different stuff. Plus, games have gotten much cheaper as an adult with all the online platform stores doing sales where they sell games with massive discounts. If I was a kid nowadays my mother would have to chain me to bed or something to avoid me buying 50 new games a year behind her back . Kids just have it easier nowadays. You can buy 3-4 different games for the full price of one good game from back in the day.

So yeah, I should have broadened my horizons more when I was younger, but I was rather limited by budget due to being a kid, so I had to play it safe and just buy games I knew I'd like.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:32 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

What annoys me is that we went to the rental places a lot, and yet I'd still mostly rent the same handful of games over and over, very rarely trying anything new. I guess because even though it was cheap, there was still money changing hands and it usually wasn't mine. So as you said, I'd mostly stick to what I knew rather than gamble.

When I went over friends and relatives' houses, that's when I spent the most time trying games I'd never played before. Just felt less risky, plus they could show me things I might not figure out otherwise.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

I never went to other kids houses, so I can't relate to that. I was never that social even as a kid. Sure I played with others and talked to them in school, but once I was off school, I wanted to go home to my toys and games. Never was interested in meeting people from school outside of school during weekends and holidays. Because they reminded me of school, which was a place I hated to go to every morning

So no, I wasn't exposed to other games and systems outside of my house besides the occasional game I played at a public arcade.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #13
Storm Eagle
Saved by

For me, it was Star Fox 64 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. I had The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the Wii and I should have been playing that, but I slacked off and didn't resume playing that until 2013. The Zelda Hyrule Historia book came out in early 2013, and I had to finish the game first before looking at the book so as to avoid getting spoiled.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:16 PM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

This isn't a Cybercubed thread? Huh.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
For me, it was Star Fox 64 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. I had The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the Wii and I should have been playing that, but I slacked off and didn't resume playing that until 2013. The Zelda Hyrule Historia book came out in early 2013, and I had to finish the game first before looking at the book so as to avoid getting spoiled.
I didn't get a 3DS until 2016. I got the New 3DS model that had come out recently at the time.

I don't think I got to play Ocarina and SF64 3D until 2017.

I haven't played Skyward Sword, but eventually I'll play the Switch version of it. That's probably the best way to play the game nowadays.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:13 PM   #16
Turo602
The King of Kings

I've literally been chronicling every game I've beaten since 2010. I don't know why, but I've been doing it, so I definitely know exactly what I was playing in 2012. Here's the list.

Saint's Row: The Third
Super Mario 3D Land
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil 4
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Red Dead Redemption
Dead Space (Impossible)
Max Payne 3
Halo 3
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Gears of War 3 (Insane)
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Mario Sunshine
Sonic Generations
GTA IV: The Lost and Damned
The Legend of Zelda
Luigi's Mansion
Batman: AC DLC (Harley Quinn's Revenge)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Resident Evil 2 (Leon A)
Resident Evil 2 (Claire B)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Resident Evil 6
Halo 4
New Super Mario Bros. U
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
Old 05-02-2022, 12:39 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

A quick glance at "games released in 2012" suggests just Final Fantasy XIII-2. Probably not much of anything else.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #18
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I didn't get a 3DS until 2016. I got the New 3DS model that had come out recently at the time.

I don't think I got to play Ocarina and SF64 3D until 2017.

I haven't played Skyward Sword, but eventually I'll play the Switch version of it. That's probably the best way to play the game nowadays.
I felt I just had to get a 3DS in late 2011 when Best Buy here was offering a $50 gift card for getting one, and there was an offer where if you bought two games, you'd get one free. I'd use the gift card towards the games. I knew I wanted Star Fox 64 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. So those were my two games. I chose Super Mario 3D Land as the free game, but I actually went and sold that. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword came out for the Wii the month before that, and I got a $10 gift card for getting it from Best Buy. I also used the $10 gift card on the games.

I got a New 3DS XL in 2017 since Best Buy had it on sale at the time I got it.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

I oddly never got into handheld games much. Most of the Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games I've played were on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player, and I've never played any handheld games that were released after the GBA era.

Part of it was that as a kid, money was tight, so I never really asked for a Game Boy; I instead asked my parents for more NES or SNES games instead. As an adult, a lot of it had to do with the fact that my wife prefers to watch me play whatever games I'm playing, and that's very hard with most handhelds. So again, I just chose to spend my money on consoles and console games rather than handhelds, with the exception of things I could play on the GB Player obviously.

I did have a Game Boy Advance briefly when they were new, and I really loved playing stuff like Fire Pro Wrestling Advance on it. But then, as it happens, someone stole it, and I just never bothered replacing it.

I do like the idea of handhelds and there's a ton of stuff on my To Buy list, for sure. It's just never been a main priority for me for various reasons.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:18 AM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I felt I just had to get a 3DS in late 2011 when Best Buy here was offering a $50 gift card for getting one, and there was an offer where if you bought two games, you'd get one free. I'd use the gift card towards the games. I knew I wanted Star Fox 64 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. So those were my two games. I chose Super Mario 3D Land as the free game, but I actually went and sold that. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword came out for the Wii the month before that, and I got a $10 gift card for getting it from Best Buy. I also used the $10 gift card on the games.

I got a New 3DS XL in 2017 since Best Buy had it on sale at the time I got it.
I had other priorities at the time. Plus, I never buy systems at launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I oddly never got into handheld games much. Most of the Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games I've played were on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player, and I've never played any handheld games that were released after the GBA era.

Part of it was that as a kid, money was tight, so I never really asked for a Game Boy; I instead asked my parents for more NES or SNES games instead. As an adult, a lot of it had to do with the fact that my wife prefers to watch me play whatever games I'm playing, and that's very hard with most handhelds. So again, I just chose to spend my money on consoles and console games rather than handhelds, with the exception of things I could play on the GB Player obviously.

I did have a Game Boy Advance briefly when they were new, and I really loved playing stuff like Fire Pro Wrestling Advance on it. But then, as it happens, someone stole it, and I just never bothered replacing it.

I do like the idea of handhelds and there's a ton of stuff on my To Buy list, for sure. It's just never been a main priority for me for various reasons.
Well, I did grow up with Game Boys and a Game Gear but I never saw handheld gaming as being in par with console gaming in the 90s. No way. The first handheld game to truly wow me was Pokémon Red. Tetris? I first played it on the NES, which still had my favourite version of the game and in colour. The original Game Boy couldn't compete with that.

I did like my Game Boys, but never had a lot of games for them. Domestic consoles were my priority.

It wasn't until the GBA that I began noticing handheld games could look rather impressive.

And when the original DS came out, my interest in handhelds increased a lot. Now I ended up not buying it, but once I got a 3DS I became a pretty big handheld guy.

Nowadays, with a Switch, I have the best of both worlds really. Well, I only played it in portable mode because my TV is 20+ years old, therefore it can't play the Switch. But I don't mind it. Playing a lot of 3D games anywhere I'm at is great.

Just like before I got my first smartphone, I never used my mobile phone much beyond the occasional phone call or text message or snake game.

Portable devices have come a long way in the last 20-30 years. It's kinda crazy.