The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 05-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Not everything must be Shakespeare.

It's just fan-wank, that's all it ever purported to be. That's fine. It was pretty much exactly what I expected and I'm fine with that.

I'm not expecting something made by a bunch of f*cking Japanese people to make much sense. As awful as that sounds. But "style over substance" is like their national motto. I knew what I was getting.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Japan does tend to do two things in the anime industry that annoys me:

1) Specials and OVAs. Like in Initial D, Iketani and Mako have a crush on each other but never ended up going anywhere. Then there's a special direct to video episode about them meeting again. Do they hook up? No. They meet near the end and talk for like 3 minutes "I guess we'll just remain friends then" and then never meet each other again. What a waste of 30 minutes

2) Reusing content frequently.

Why do a lot of anime series get a 90 minutes long "movie" that's just a recap of the whole season or series?! They just show the major events that happen but don't show any of the stuff that happened in between which is also important. Thus it ends up being a mess of a recap movie that doesn't flow naturally. You're not better off watching the recap movies of Initial D than the TV series. Trust me.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:57 AM   #23
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

In FF 8 I took a different path than I did in FF7. I read about a low level but stats like you are high level strategy. And plus a high level run means your enemies also level up with you but doesn’t mean squat when you face the PS Version of Omega Weapon who is level 100 whether you’re at level 20 or 100 but more on him later.

The music in this game, like FF7, was so good. It pumped me up during the battles. I think if there’s one thing that can be agreed upon by everyone who plays the FF games is that the music is enjoyable.

I beat Ultima Weapon fairly easy. Omega wasn’t easy but challenging because of his level 100 HP. I pretty much used Squall and Selphie’s Ultimate Weapons at 255 Strength as basic attacks while my 3rd party member was on stand by to reapply Holy Wars to keep us invincible to Omega’s deadly attacks….took about 30 minutes this way but I beat him. I never tried to trigger Selphie’s The End attack to end Omega in one blow. Afterwards, I got the message that congratulated me for beating Omega lol

Other notes….I did obtain all the GF even though I barely used them. I was more interested in the abilities you gained from them. I also got everyone’s Ultimate Weapons and every single Card. The card games were fun for the most part. Spent a lot of time with those to get a bunch to turn into magics and other stuff.

Overall, I haven’t played a lot of FF games….VII, VIII, X and X-2 so I would rank them for me….FFVII>FVIII>X>X-2
When I was younger, I went along with the hate for FF8. It wasn’t anyway near the greatness of FF7 but after playing it again last year after FF7….I came around to really liking FF 8 and putting it on a tier just below FF7. I think what separates both games for me is that the characters and story in FF7 are more lively than FF8 which isn’t to say that FF8 is a bore fest. Just that I would take Cloud, Tifa and Sephiroth over Squall, Riona and Ultimecia.

Oh and as far as the side quests stuff….I did most of it. The Chocobo stuff I did all of it. But there was one quest where you had to “talk to the rocks” to move in certain directions to find something…..screw that lol. I spent like an hour doing that and didn’t find the hidden item so I said enough and moved on. That was pretty annoying lol

Last edited by TMNTFanatic4Life; 05-10-2022 at 09:18 AM.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Chocobos...

I didn't like them in FFX. Disliked the Chocobo obstacle race or whatever massively.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:27 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
Overall, I haven’t played a lot of FF games….VII, VIII, X and X-2 so I would rank them for me….FFVII>FVIII>X>X-2
I'd rate them, personally, in order of best to least good...

FF IV
FF VI
FF VIII
FF IX
FF VII
FF V
FF II
FF XII
FF XV
FF XIII
FF X
FF III
FF XIII-2
FF XIII: Lightning Returns
FF X-2
FF I
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

Interesting, I've never seen II ranked so high! That's interesting. Most people say it's "the worst". I haven't played enough of the series to know or to rank them, personally. But that's a bit unusual to see. I have no problem with it, just saying, you don't see that too often. I liked it for what it was, myself, I had fun with it.

Any "Tales" series fans? I have a bunch of them but I've yet to play a single one.

I have "Secret of Mana" for SNES on my shelf and I'm contemplating trying it out when I get done with my Batman games run. Anyone have anything to say about that one? I'm aware it has a pretty great reputation.

How about action RPGs? Everyone knows I'm not a huge Marvel fan, but I sincerely loved both X-Men Legends games, as well as Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Those were great games, and I've always been sad that Justice League: Heroes didn't sell better so that a sequel could have gotten closer to being what those games were. It was clear that's what they were going for, but they didn't have the resources to get there right out of the gate and so the game ended up being a much more scaled-down thing, which was still enormously fun for what it was. A more fully-developed sequel with four party members per mission instead of two and a much longer game would have been epic. It's a real shame they never got that far. Every time I play X-Men Legends I start thinking of how awesome a game Exactly Like That but with DC characters would have been. I'm sure that's what JL:H2 would have been, if only.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 05-10-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:04 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

From my observation, VI and VII seem to be the most popular Final Fantasy games. And those who like VI the best often seem to consider VII overrated.

I wonder if it's similar to the A Link to the Past vs. Ocarina of Time debate?
Old 05-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #28
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I used to like rpgs a lot when I was younger. Pokémon, Paper Mario, Golden Sun, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Chronicles among others, though I never beat some of them.

I still love Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star IV and Tales of the Abyss.

I can’t count myself as a Tales series fan, as I’ve only played the previously mentioned games and Dawn of the New World, but I found Symphonia the most enjoyable of the three.

Last edited by Wesley; 05-11-2022 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added skies of arcadia.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Interesting, I've never seen II ranked so high! That's interesting. Most people say it's "the worst". I haven't played enough of the series to know or to rank them, personally. But that's a bit unusual to see. I have no problem with it, just saying, you don't see that too often. I liked it for what it was, myself, I had fun with it.
It's the most epic. The underworld, traveling to the moon? Traveling by chocobo, airship or spaceship? Marrying the girl and becoming king? It's awesome. There's a reason it's one of the few FFs to get its own direct sequel.

Quote:
I have "Secret of Mana" for SNES on my shelf and I'm contemplating trying it out when I get done with my Batman games run. Anyone have anything to say about that one? I'm aware it has a pretty great reputation.
It's the only one of that series worth playing. Part 1 (Final Fantasy Adventure) was pretty forgettable, and part 3 (Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana) was too nutty. Legend of Mana didn't even feel like the same series.

But man, that music. Epic. I feel 12 years old every time I hear it. I hold Secret of Mana in the same esteem as I do Crystalis (which is to say, very high). Also, I'm pretty sure Secret of Mana invented the "ring menu" that is adopted by many games even today.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-11-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I used to like rpgs a lot when I was younger. Pokémon, Paper Mario, Golden Sun, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Chronicles among others, though I never beat some of them.

I still love Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star IV and Tales of the Abyss.

I can’t count myself as a Tales series fan, as I’ve only played the previously mentioned games and Dawn of the New World, but I found Symphonia the most enjoyable of the three.
I played the first Shining Force on the Mega Dtiva Collection a couple of years ago. Good game. Similar concept to Fire Emblem.

I also played II, but kinda put it on hold sometime ago. Will need to go back to it sometime.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:17 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
How about action RPGs?
The Zelda games have basically become action RPGs. You could call a lot of the early ones "action/adventure" games, but you'd be hard-pressed not to say "Breath of the Wild" is such.

But back in the day? "Soul Blazer" from Enix. Badass.

As well as the aforementioned Secret of Mana. And Crystalis.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:35 PM   #32
neatoman
Emperor

Ah, are we talking music here? Allow me to introduce you to Terranigma.

And here we have one from OC remix:
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ah, Terranigma. It and Illusion of Gaia are supposedly pseudo sequels to Soul Blazer.