The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #1221
j3h
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 33
Here is the first problem NECA is going to face which just releasing heads: which paint color do people want? Half of the fandom like the brighter colors over the darker screen accurate ones. NECA distributed more of the brighter ones than the original darker ones since the refresh was ordered heavier by Target.
It also doesnít make business sense to release heads a year or so from now and not have Turtle figures on the market to put them on.
Since all the tooling cost is in the new heads and not the production of the bodies, it is far more cost effective with higher returns to release full figures with new heads than it is for an accessory pack, which would be considered very niche.
I very much get the ďvote with your dollarsĒ and get only what you want...Iím far from a completist collector, and have what I have opened and displayed. That said, I did get both color schemes of the turtles because I liked them both and could display them in two different set ups. I would get another set if they offer them with the new head sculpts, but Iím not sure I would bother with an accessory set since I would probably want another set of bodies to display them on.

So let me ask this, IF Target said that they are not interested in carrying an accessory set but wanted more basic turtles but refreshed, would you prefer
A) two two-packs of the turtles with the new head sculpt. Easily skipable if you donít want to buy.
Or
B) four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an army builder type figure (not more foot soldiers). This way you get something if you feel compelled to buy, but still could skip.
Or
C)four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an all new figure in each. Basically you would have to buy if you want all the new characters.

And as a bonus question, which color would you want the new headed turtle figures to be: bright or dark?
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #1222
IMJ
Mad Scientist
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3h View Post
Here is the first problem NECA is going to face which just releasing heads: which paint color do people want? Half of the fandom like the brighter colors over the darker screen accurate ones. NECA distributed more of the brighter ones than the original darker ones since the refresh was ordered heavier by Target.
It also doesn’t make business sense to release heads a year or so from now and not have Turtle figures on the market to put them on.
Since all the tooling cost is in the new heads and not the production of the bodies, it is far more cost effective with higher returns to release full figures with new heads than it is for an accessory pack, which would be considered very niche.
I very much get the “vote with your dollars” and get only what you want...I’m far from a completist collector, and have what I have opened and displayed. That said, I did get both color schemes of the turtles because I liked them both and could display them in two different set ups. I would get another set if they offer them with the new head sculpts, but I’m not sure I would bother with an accessory set since I would probably want another set of bodies to display them on.

So let me ask this, IF Target said that they are not interested in carrying an accessory set but wanted more basic turtles but refreshed, would you prefer
A) two two-packs of the turtles with the new head sculpt. Easily skipable if you don’t want to buy.
Or
B) four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an army builder type figure (not more foot soldiers). This way you get something if you feel compelled to buy, but still could skip.
Or
C)four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an all new figure in each. Basically you would have to buy if you want all the new characters.

And as a bonus question, which color would you want the new headed turtle figures to be: bright or dark?
Great post....

As for color - NECA should release both at the same time. This actually benefits them. It's a simple paint deco and it would allow them to double dip, increase volume to help their economies of scale and to cater to both buyers. It's basically a non-issue.

As for tooling costs - this term is coming up a lot. But consider this - the oversize Turtles clearly have the "animated head sculpts". Most figures start as a "two-up" - a larger figure. It's no issue for manufacturers to scale down an existing sculpt. In many ways it's part of the normal process anyway, given the 2-up method of design. Hell they don't even need to tool a mold. They could just 3-D print them, so again this should be a non-issue that has several fixes.

As for voting with your dollars - nice job, brother.

As for packing - I'd prefer a bubble pack with nothing but heads. Cheap, less plastic and no need to buy new bodies when the current ones are well done.

Honestly, this head thing would be unprecedented, but if NECA would simply do it they would be demonstrating some real market leadership and ingenuity. I'm sure buyers would get behind it. I'd be willing to construct the email to send to them and directing NECA to this convo, but a real contact other than their generic customer service would be the best option. I don't have any personal contacts at NECA neither through my occasional wave1collectibles efforts or from old industry writing days.
__________________
Collection Photos

IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #1223
nofuture4u
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 499
People have been asking if I'm back and I didn't really have an answer, but yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

Bruh, I just saw the cartoon April they showed at Toy Fair and it is amazing. I haven't really bought any TMNT merch for a grip, but this single figure has brought me back.
nofuture4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #1224
vexdar
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 22
Hey everyone!! Shredder is back on Target!!
vexdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:58 PM   #1225
IMJ
Mad Scientist
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofuture4u View Post
People have been asking if I'm back and I didn't really have an answer, but yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.

Bruh, I just saw the cartoon April they showed at Toy Fair and it is amazing. I haven't really bought any TMNT merch for a grip, but this single figure has brought me back.
What, are you a NECA shill or something?

We've just spent two pages here not only discussing that awful figure, but almost quantifiable and absolutely comparatively demonstrating how bad it is.
__________________
Collection Photos

IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:57 PM   #1226
NoPressApril
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: as far away from reality as possible
Posts: 306
I have a question. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Rocksteady and Bebop were going to be rereleased with the old proper logo on the box. Anyone know anything about that?
NoPressApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM   #1227
Trailbreaker77
Thug
 
Trailbreaker77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
What, are you a NECA shill or something?

We've just spent two pages here not only discussing that awful figure, but almost quantifiable and absolutely comparatively demonstrating how bad it is.
Well just because some members have issues with it doesn't mean that everyone has to hate it. Everyone has different tastes.
Trailbreaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #1228
Creedog
Thug
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbreaker77 View Post
Well just because some members have issues with it doesn't mean that everyone has to hate it. Everyone has different tastes.
Iím personally head over heels with everything NECA is doing with toon turtles. I love April (yes, that exact April), Casey, slash, leatherhead, Splinter, Baxter, Triceratron, and Krang Android Body. Amazing toys, and Iím willing to drive for hours to get them.
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM   #1229
mikey see
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPressApril View Post
I have a question. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Rocksteady and Bebop were going to be rereleased with the old proper logo on the box. Anyone know anything about that?
That's the rumor. I assumed they'd be hitting along with the Shredder/Krang 2-pack but I'm not sure if that's been the case. My store has the Shredder set but nothing else. That's not to say I didn't just miss B&R but I haven't seen any on ebay with the retro logo either.

As for the head thing, Mattel DID release accessory packs for MOTUC that included some alt heads. NECA could go that route, though I think I would maybe be more inclined to just buy the figures again. They'd probably stretch the four heads across two packs and I have very little use for more weapons and such.

And really, this is NECA we're talking about here. They're absolutely going to triple/quadruple/whatever-dip on those bodies and release them again with new heads. It makes sense from a business standpoint and it also keeps turtles on the shelves. I think the best scenario we can hope for is that they include trenchcoats and hats with the new releases. That way they're new enough to warrant a purchase but they can also serve the purpose of being the classic toon turtle that we don't have yet.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #1230
IMJ
Mad Scientist
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbreaker77 View Post
Well just because some members have issues with it doesn't mean that everyone has to hate it. Everyone has different tastes.
Fair enough, and you're right. But the post and the poster seemingly came out of nowhere and almost intentionally against the grain. But you're right.... I don't even really care to be honest. Sometimes this place cultivates a knee-jerk reaction. LOL!
__________________
Collection Photos

IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #1231
Trailbreaker77
Thug
 
Trailbreaker77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Fair enough, and you're right. But the post and the poster seemingly came out of nowhere and almost intentionally against the grain. But you're right.... I don't even really care to be honest. Sometimes this place cultivates a knee-jerk reaction. LOL!
Believe me it's not a exclusive to the TMNT forums here, this place is tame compared to the TF forums and they are nothing against the Star Wars group.

That place is full of hate, sorry Dark Side! Anyways when I'm not on the TF boards I do lurk here and on the Toyark site.

To be fair I've seen some fans of NECA praise their absolute **** because in their eyes NECA could do no wrong.
Trailbreaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #1232
LeoRaDoMic
Foot Soldier
 
LeoRaDoMic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3h View Post
Here is the first problem NECA is going to face which just releasing heads: which paint color do people want? Half of the fandom like the brighter colors over the darker screen accurate ones. NECA distributed more of the brighter ones than the original darker ones since the refresh was ordered heavier by Target.
It also doesn’t make business sense to release heads a year or so from now and not have Turtle figures on the market to put them on.
Since all the tooling cost is in the new heads and not the production of the bodies, it is far more cost effective with higher returns to release full figures with new heads than it is for an accessory pack, which would be considered very niche.
I very much get the “vote with your dollars” and get only what you want...I’m far from a completist collector, and have what I have opened and displayed. That said, I did get both color schemes of the turtles because I liked them both and could display them in two different set ups. I would get another set if they offer them with the new head sculpts, but I’m not sure I would bother with an accessory set since I would probably want another set of bodies to display them on.

So let me ask this, IF Target said that they are not interested in carrying an accessory set but wanted more basic turtles but refreshed, would you prefer
A) two two-packs of the turtles with the new head sculpt. Easily skipable if you don’t want to buy.
Or
B) four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an army builder type figure (not more foot soldiers). This way you get something if you feel compelled to buy, but still could skip.
Or
C)four two-packs with one new head turtle in each along with an all new figure in each. Basically you would have to buy if you want all the new characters.

And as a bonus question, which color would you want the new headed turtle figures to be: bright or dark?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Great post....

As for color - NECA should release both at the same time. This actually benefits them. It's a simple paint deco and it would allow them to double dip, increase volume to help their economies of scale and to cater to both buyers. It's basically a non-issue.

As for tooling costs - this term is coming up a lot. But consider this - the oversize Turtles clearly have the "animated head sculpts". Most figures start as a "two-up" - a larger figure. It's no issue for manufacturers to scale down an existing sculpt. In many ways it's part of the normal process anyway, given the 2-up method of design. Hell they don't even need to tool a mold. They could just 3-D print them, so again this should be a non-issue that has several fixes.

As for voting with your dollars - nice job, brother.

As for packing - I'd prefer a bubble pack with nothing but heads. Cheap, less plastic and no need to buy new bodies when the current ones are well done.

Honestly, this head thing would be unprecedented, but if NECA would simply do it they would be demonstrating some real market leadership and ingenuity. I'm sure buyers would get behind it. I'd be willing to construct the email to send to them and directing NECA to this convo, but a real contact other than their generic customer service would be the best option. I don't have any personal contacts at NECA neither through my occasional wave1collectibles efforts or from old industry writing days.
Jesus, speaking about overthinking stuff....

Neca just release 2 accessory packs each with 4 goofy show accurate heads. One pack for the first generation with the darker skin and one pack for the second generation with the lighter skin. Any addition with small figures like Shredder fly and stuff is an nice bonus. Problem solved.
__________________
LeoRaDoMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #1233
Spidergreg
Stone Warrior
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedog View Post
Iím personally head over heels with everything NECA is doing with toon turtles. I love April (yes, that exact April), Casey, slash, leatherhead, Splinter, Baxter, Triceratron, and Krang Android Body. Amazing toys, and Iím willing to drive for hours to get them.
You like skinny legs krang?
Seriosuly, he should stop skipping leg day.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #1234
Creedog
Thug
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
You like skinny legs krang?
Seriosuly, he should stop skipping leg day.
His legs are definitely slimmer than they were on the show, noticeably thinner. But yes, I still love him! And I canít wait to put him on my shelf!
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #1235
zelu1984
Thug
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
You like skinny legs krang?
Seriosuly, he should stop skipping leg day.
The legs are defo too skinny but this might still be fixed! (Fingers crossed)
zelu1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.