The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #61
Powder
So tired of this place

Y'all should know better by now not to engage certain people.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:30 AM   #62
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I lurk, homie! I don’t be knowin’ these people!
Old 08-19-2019, 04:13 AM   #63
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Hopefully they can also fix Leo's swords to be a katana and a wakizashi, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
When did Leonardo ever wield a wakizashi? Paired ninjato... maybe katana in the cartoon, but never daisho.

Last edited by Otter; 08-19-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #64
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
When did Leonardo ever wield a wakizashi? Paired ninjato... maybe katana in the cartoon, but never daisho.
Ninjato as a straight bladed sword used by ninja is a completely fictional weapon created by the film industry the 1960's. And Twin Katana is as dumb as the concept of the Ninjato, no one with a sound mind and competence dual-wields 2 two-handed swords with equal length in a serious combat scenario. If Super7 can fix Raphael's sai to a actual sai instead of the weird dagger thing he was using in the vintage toy line (and cartoon) they can fix Leo's swords as well.

Plus, Leo did use a long and short sword in the 2012 show

Spoiler:

Where's the ninjato?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #65
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane E5R View Post
These are the model sheets for the original mini-series. You specified yourself the syndicated version- That ain’t what we’re talking about. These resemble the original model sheets down the silhouette.

Also, for real? Dismissing them due to having bottom teeth is ridiculously nitpicky.
The turtles in those model sheets do not have teeth at all.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #66
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Have you looked at the model sheets, yourself, before saying that about me?!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #67
TommyT
Banned

Matching the model sheet, and matching the look from the mini series are two different things. The animators are all over the place in the first episode, not to mention the wild variations between the first and fifth. They matched the model sheets well enough, but I wouldn’t say they are screen accurate.

So far, it looks like April is the one that’s the furthest from her cartoon counterpart. Neca seems to think she should be ugly.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #68
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Matching the model sheet, and matching the look from the mini series are two different things. The animators are all over the place in the first episode, not to mention the wild variations between the first and fifth. They matched the model sheets well enough, but I wouldn’t say they are screen accurate.

So far, it looks like April is the one that’s the furthest from her cartoon counterpart. Neca seems to think she should be ugly.
How can the NECA FW turtles match the model sheets well enough and not be screen accurate?

The NECA FW turtles from the 2 pack only matched the model sheets from the neck down. That’s it. FW turtle fans deserve better than a repaint of the arcade turtles as classic toon turtles. The villains in the first wave were on point for the most part from what I have seen at one of the Targets I have been to, but the turtles were not.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #69
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
How can the NECA FW turtles match the model sheets well enough and not be screen accurate?

The NECA FW turtles from the 2 pack only matched the model sheets from the neck down. That’s it. FW turtle fans deserve better than a repaint of the arcade turtles as classic toon turtles. The villains in the first wave were on point for the most part from what I have seen at one of the Targets I have been to, but the turtles were not.
I was agreeing with you.

They can’t be screen accurate if the model sheets/style guides were not accurately reproduced in the cartoon. Compare the first shot of the turtles in ep1, and the character sheet. The shape language is vastly different.

I’ll need to figure out how to post images here.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #70
AquaParade
Banned

I need that shadow line on the nose of the turtles. I need it!
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #71
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The scale between them looks nice

Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #72
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I was agreeing with you.

They can’t be screen accurate if the model sheets/style guides were not accurately reproduced in the cartoon. Compare the first shot of the turtles in ep1, and the character sheet. The shape language is vastly different.

I’ll need to figure out how to post images here.
The 2013 Classic Collection Michelangelo will most likely be the only screen accurate FW TMNT head sculpt of this century.

I could be wrong since this century isn’t over yet, but it seems like the head sculpt for the CC Michelangelo is as good as it gets for FW syndicated TMNT cartoon fans. Finding a head sculpt without a lazy eye should not be to difficult for FW fans to find online.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #73
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
It really does. Thanks for posting.

Damn, these figures came out of nowhere. Nostalgia must have me by the ear, because I'm surprisingly attracted to these figures. Part of me wants them all. I figured I was pretty much set with the Jim Henson movie figures, but these are so alluring.

I've always loved the old school Playmates box-art. Maybe that is what is appealing to me about these.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #74
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Can’t wait to see what a Casey Jones will look like in this line
Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #75
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Baxter Stockman is the best out of the whole Ultimate wave 1 set. A remodeled and repainted Retromutagen Ooze turtle [and Splinter] should have been included with Ultimate Splinter over the regular looking turtle with yellow eyes. The chase could have been a remodeled and repainted Retromutagen Ooze turtle that glowed in the dark (like the ‘89 original did). The Ultimate Foot Soldier is the strangest out of the set because the ape-like pose of the ‘88 original is gone along with the angry scruffed up part of the mask that the ‘88 wave 1 Soldier had.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #76
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
It really does. Thanks for posting.

Damn, these figures came out of nowhere. Nostalgia must have me by the ear, because I'm surprisingly attracted to these figures. Part of me wants them all. I figured I was pretty much set with the Jim Henson movie figures, but these are so alluring.

I've always loved the old school Playmates box-art. Maybe that is what is appealing to me about these.
Do you think the Super7 Ultimate TMNT figures with have the original 1988 to 1992 style Playmates cards or something like that for packaging? The ReAction figures will have a mashup of the original Kenner Star Wars cards and original Playmates card. So far, I’m liking the TMNT ReAction figures a little better than the Ultimates because I see that toy line going further than the Ultimates. Unfortunately for TMNT fan, the SDCC ‘19 exclusive ReAction turtles figures were fatter and less accurate [belt wise] than the 1988 Playmates originals. The average original Playmates collectors might purchase a few of the Ultimates and ReActions, but most of them are going to skip both of these toy lines.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #77
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Do you think the Super7 Ultimate TMNT figures with have the original 1988 to 1992 style Playmates cards or something like that for packaging? The ReAction figures will have a mashup of the original Kenner Star Wars cards and original Playmates card. So far, I’m liking the TMNT ReAction figures a little better than the Ultimates because I see that toy line going further than the Ultimates. Unfortunately for TMNT fan, the SDCC ‘19 exclusive ReAction turtles figures were fatter and less accurate [belt wise] than the 1988 Playmates originals. The average original Playmates collectors might purchase a few of the Ultimates and ReActions, but most of them are going to skip both of these toy lines.
I actually hadn't considered the packaging yet, but I guess I feel like the Playmates style they are going for generally resemble the original Playmates packaging. I don't know though. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #78
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I actually hadn't considered the packaging yet, but I guess I feel like the Playmates style they are going for generally resemble the original Playmates packaging. I don't know though. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
The packaging for Ultimate Toxie from Toxic Crusaders hasn’t been revealed yet. It seems like Super7 will go for the front reprints of the original packaging of Toxie and the Ultimate Turtles line. The back of the card will be different, but that’s it. The question now is, will there be Pizza Points?
Old 08-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #79
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
The 2013 Classic Collection Michelangelo will most likely be the only screen accurate FW TMNT head sculpt of this century.

I could be wrong since this century isn’t over yet, but it seems like the head sculpt for the CC Michelangelo is as good as it gets for FW syndicated TMNT cartoon fans. Finding a head sculpt without a lazy eye should not be to difficult for FW fans to find online.
Yeah, guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Not sure what makes you think only Mikey’s head is on model. The sculpts are almost identical.

And no, I don’t think it’s the last you’ll see of FW styled Turtles.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #80
Otter
Stone Warrior

Firstly, I love your posts so I hope you don't interpret any of my replies as personally antagonistic.

Secondly, I am by no means a Japanese sword expert, and can only really go on three odd decades of reading American comics based on Japanese traditions.

But...

Quote:
Ninjato as a straight bladed sword used by ninja is a completely fictional weapon created by the film industry the 1960's.
Given that every Ninja Turtle incarnation takes place in the 1980s or later, I don't see this as a problem. Given they are also fictional... again, seems perfectly fitting.

Quote:
And Twin Katana is as dumb as the concept of the Ninjato, no one with a sound mind and competence dual-wields 2 two-handed swords with equal length in a serious combat scenario.
Sure, but again... fictional characters.

Quote:
If Super7 can fix Raphael's sai to a actual sai instead of the weird dagger thing he was using in the vintage toy line (and cartoon) they can fix Leo's swords as well.
Ah... I see what you are saying here. The vintage toy did take some liberties, but in the comics Raph was always depicted with Sai, rather than a wierd bladed hybrid, so this change makes sense.

Quote:
Plus, Leo did use a long and short sword in the 2012 show
This may be true (given the final diagram you posted), and to be honest I never really noticed the size difference in the show... unlike the obvious difference between traditionally depicted daisho. Were the show runners attempting to retcon the (as you indicated) ridiculous concept of wielding twin katana?

Spoiler:
https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/v....w700.h700.jpg
Yep... referred to as a katana, and even depicted with a curved blade.

https://img2.looper.com/img/gallery/...1497558978.jpg
I'd figured this is where the cartoon had drawn inspiration, but later comics certainly depict Leo's blades as straight, i.e. ninjato.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/8c6cb7b7...bvtco1_540.png
While the RPG may refer to the twin blades (I would argue incorrectly) as daisho, the image presented does not depict them as such. Neither did the comics. Neither did the cartoon. They aren't worn on the hip as traditionally depicted, but always on the back, as per ninja in the movies... who wielded ninjato.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBzhBnvU8AAETXr.jpg
Yep, katana. Figure inspired by the cartoon... katana. But no wakizashi.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20161225222054
Says "katana" but depicts a straight blade. Katana are curve-bladed (like wakizashi). Ninjato are depicted as being straight-bladed.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3206/2...4c4b189741.jpg
Again... paired, straight-bladed, same-sized swords. No shorter, curved-blade sword (wakizashi). This is what I think of when I envisage Leo's weapons.

http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content...o-tmnt-bio.jpg
I'll be honest... I had to look up Niten-ryu. Best I can tell it describes a style of swordsmanship, rather than the blades themselves. And again, reference to paired katana... no mention of wakizashi.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...M4QWPqtHh_ZHR0
The swords depicted here are again, the same length. Unless they are paired wakizashi, of which I am not convinced, this does not depict wakizashi.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20170709035443

Okay... so this is the only picture which has two swords of different size, though the length of the tanto blade added to the shorter would make it longer than the daito, so the shoto is arguably only barely a shoto. But again, both swords are depicted as straight-bladed (in my eyes). Any suggestion of a curve is suggested by the fact that the tip is stylised in such a way that the tip is wider than the kissaki is wider than the habaki (had to look up those descriptions too).

Quote:
Where's the ninjato?
Depicted in the Mirage comic art (third picture you posted (the first two are an anomaly; by the second issue of the original comic Leo had straight-bladed swords)) and the 2003 series art (5th and 6th images), and arguably stylised versions in the 2012 series (7th, and 8th images) and the 9th (I don't know where that's from), though the words are depicted as different lengths in that image, you have to be looking for it to see it (and a wakizashi is obviously smaller than a katana).

I stand by my original comment, but maybe we just interpret "daisho" and "wakizashi" differently. All that said, if Super 7 give Leonardo curved swords, I would be disappointed. Though I doubt I'd be disappointed if he had a slightly shorter second sword.

Last edited by Otter; 08-19-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote