The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Packaging artist(s)?

Does anyone know the name(s) of the artist(s) responsible for the 1988-1993 TMNT action figure packaging art? It was so incredible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T2eC16JFIdQN2NbqBSTgzgWtMQ60_57_zpsdd27b03a.jpg (93.0 KB, 41 views)
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Wow, great thread..... On that note I wonder what has become of the cardback original art pages? That would be cool to see them pop up on the market....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #3
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

I don't know...
The only thing i know is turbopork is responsible for the cardbacks for super 7.

Last edited by Spidergreg; 01-23-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

Wasn't that old packaging art great? Pretty sure some Mirage artists were involved but I could be mistaken.

I always thought that art displayed a great mix of pop and grit. It almost captures the feel of 90's MTV, Beavis & Butthead, and indie comics thrown in a blender. I also thought it should be somewhat of a North Star for a "friendlier" TMNT animated series, as opposed to a neutered version of Mirage (which I'd love to see adapted under its own terms). I imagine an animated series based on this art could have, in theory, been what Adult Swim used to fill in a more action/adventure oriented void in their programming - still offbeat and whacky, like some of the best Mirage comics, but with a pinch more drama and serialization.

Dream over.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-23-2020 at 10:11 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Wasn't that old packaging art great? Pretty sure some Mirage artists were involved but I could be mistaken.

I always thought that art displayed a great mix of pop and grit. It almost captures the feel of 90's MTV, Beavis & Butthead, and indie comics thrown in a blender. I also thought it should be somewhat of a North Star for a "friendlier" TMNT animated series, as opposed to a neutered version of Mirage (which I'd love to see adapted under its own terms). I imagine an animated series based on this art could have, in theory, been what Adult Swim used to fill in a more action/adventure oriented void in their programming - still offbeat and whacky, like some of the best Mirage comics, but with a pinch more drama and serialization.

Dream over.
The classic Playmates Toys TMNT Universe is still my favorite (albeit largely hypothetical) corner of the TMNT Multiverse. I would love to see it synthesized and realized for a comic book or cartoon series.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
ToSte
Hench Mutant

I've always wanted to know more about this too. I could go for a poster book of all the card and box art.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post
I've always wanted to know more about this too. I could go for a poster book of all the card and box art.
As a kid, I saved just about all of my TMNT figure cards and boxes, but unfortunately most of the frontside artwork got ripped up since I didn't bother to ask my parents to carefully cut the plastic off each blister card.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post

Dream over.

Couldn't agree more - that's the exact vibe I get as well. I love it. I'd love to see a TMNT adult swim show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
The classic Playmates Toys TMNT Universe is still my favorite (albeit largely hypothetical) corner of the TMNT Multiverse. I would love to see it synthesized and realized for a comic book or cartoon series.

Agreed in full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSte View Post

Oh my god, yes!

--

We need to figure this out! I'll keep digging, but let me know if any of you come across any names!
Old 01-24-2020, 05:11 AM   #9
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

This art is really the first thing that ever drew me to tmnt back in the late '80s, when seeing it in stores. Once they changed the packaging in '93ish, it never felt the same. Such awesome package design. It would be great to find some of the OA.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
mikey0
Foot Elite

It was most likely the artists they had at Playmates Toys in 1987 that did the 1988 figure card art and Sewer Sports Balls artwork. I’m not sure who did the 1989 to 1992 card artwork. 1993 was the first year when the generic cards were used. The late 80s and early 90s (1990-1992) were the best years of the original Playmates toy line, but I prefer the 1988 to 1990 figures and card art over the 1991 to 1992 stuff.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #11
italianice388
Stone Warrior

i think you're right - i'm starting to wonder if the packaging was designed in house at playmates in hong kong.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #12
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i think you're right - i'm starting to wonder if the packaging was designed in house at playmates in hong kong.
It’s possible. I was hoping it would have came up who the artists were in The Toys That Made Us season 3, but nothing materialized.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #13
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
It’s possible. I was hoping it would have came up who the artists were in The Toys That Made Us season 3, but nothing materialized.
likewise! bummer.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #14
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

I've finally found some info on this.

Quote:
Staff artists at the Northampton, Massachusetts based Mirage Studios have provided conceptual designs for many of the figures, vehicles, and playsets and are credited on the packaging of the products they created.

Source
I don't have the packaging on hand right now but can anyone verify it's written on the packaging?
Old 03-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #15
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

I don't see the artist(s) name.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

That is definitely not the case as far as I know. It should be, though. I didn't learn until a month ago that Eric Talbot created Tattoo.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post

I don't have the packaging on hand right now but can anyone verify it's written on the packaging?

interesting! i wonder if anyone with a lot of packaged tmnt can verify. i wonder though if the concept artists who designed the figures are the same as the artists who create the art for the packaging.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:27 AM   #18
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post

I think it just credits the creators of characters. IE. Usagi Yojimbo ©Stan Sakai. I am pretty sure it doesn't credit the artists of the packaging.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #19
Poole
Random Punk

Does anyone have a scan of card art that is undamaged ? (No rips from the bubble etc) I'd like to print some put to stand behind the figures on my shelf
Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:57 AM   #20
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

I could be way off, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a very vague recollection that it was mentioned in the Turtle Power documentary that Mirage artists did the figure box artwork?

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote