The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #3381
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
You’re just wrong-these are amazing.
Everyone looks at things differently. I’m glad you enjoy the Target 2-Pack figures. I will be waiting patiently for the next company that actually makes a show-accurate TMNT toyline.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #3382
LincolnHawk
Stone Warrior
 
LincolnHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Everyone looks at things differently. I’m glad you enjoy the Target 2-Pack figures. I will be waiting patiently for the next company that actually makes a show-accurate TMNT toyline.
*clapping*
__________________
Hey look...no gigantic signature that takes up 1/2 the page and is animated.
LincolnHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #3383
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
*clapping*
I prefer the 2017 Super Vinyl Bebop by Blackdots, DUNE, and Yamakichi to the NECA Target 2-Pack Bebop. As for Shredder, there has not been one yet. As a shellhead, I would probably collect the Original Animation Art cels from the early 90s and call it a day. I don’t know if we will ever get cartoon-accurate TMNT figures.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:33 PM   #3384
Dask
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Everyone looks at things differently. I’m glad you enjoy the Target 2-Pack figures. I will be waiting patiently for the next company that actually makes a show-accurate TMNT toyline.
Very unlikely that another company will make the toon turtle line and to such an extent within the next decade or so. I bet Tamashii Nations S.H.Figuarts is kicking themselves over the lost opportunity and runaway success of the NECA and Super 7 TMNT product lines. In theory, they were the only folks that could outdo NECA (unless something left field happens and Mafex/Medicom gets the license).

Your opinion is in the minority. B&R were the most coveted figures in the entire TMNT NECA line until the introduction of Rahzar and Tokka. Shredder is also a pretty good representation of the toon and I haven't seen anyone nitpicking on him.

However, you're right, the turtles themselves are not toon accurate. That's why I never purchased them. I am using the Bandai TMNT team as placeholders until I get my hands on NECA's turtles in disguise pack.

Your loss. I remember someone was complaining that they didn't appreciate the Mattel rendition of the Thundercats line-up (it was good while it lasted). They expected that Super 7 or some other company would make superior figures. That day never came. The Super 7 figures use the same Mattel molds with minor tweaks here and there (for better or for worse).
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:02 PM   #3385
lonewarrior20
Stone Warrior
 
lonewarrior20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: pekin,IL
Posts: 844
Was able to get the rock solgeirs today and get this the one I returned with a broken foot was on the shelves waiting to be sold again. There's one rock and 2 triceratons at east peoria.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #3386
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Shredder is also a pretty good representation of the toon and I haven't seen anyone nitpicking on him.
A while back, a user on here said that 2019 Shredder had too many blades on his metallic shoulder pads and metallic wrist guards. I agree with that poster. The 2019 Shredder isn’t the Shredder from any one of the series to me. I do not the helmet, mouth plate, shading used for his top, shading on the pads, and the black lines used to highlight his muscles.

This toyline just isn’t for me.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-23-2021 at 03:23 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #3387
Dask
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
A while back, a user on here said that 2019 Shredder had too many blades on his metallic shoulder pads and metallic wrist guards.


In the cartoon, there were 4 metallic blades on each shoulder pad. The NECA version has 6.

In the cartoon, there were 5 metallic blades on each forearm guard. The NECA version also has 5.

If this discrepancy and extreme level of minutiae is necessary to make "toon accurate" figures, I suppose you can just make your own. Each figure costs around $100,000 to produce (alternatively, you could just mod your Shredder and cut off any extra blades with some blades or give it a custom paint wash to your liking).

Like I said, it's your loss. These toys are generally regarded as hot commodity by causal and hardcore fans of the cartoon.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #3388
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,679
It’s not my loss. I am a TMNT fan, but I do not care for these. I do not think there will ever be a perfect 3D representation of the Fred Wolf characters, but that is why I will continue looking at the Original Animation Art cels from the 90s.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-23-2021 at 03:34 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #3389
Dask
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
It’s not my loss. I am a TMNT fan, but I do not care for these. I do not think there will never be a perfect 3D representation of the Fred Wolf characters, but that is why I will continue looking at the Original Animation Art cels from the 90s.
I suppose you could enjoy your Animation Art cels from the 90's and pretend that they were toys. No harm in that.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #3390
Dask
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Thank you, TMNTFanatic4Life.

No, I do not collect TMNT figures from any company. The original Playmates toyline is one of my favorite toylines, so I have been sticking with all things TMNT since the 80s. Like Pixel Dan, MOTU is ranked higher on my list than TMNT. Still, the original Playmates TMNT toyline was very unique with its wild colors, highly detailed sculpts, funny character names, weapon racks, artwork on the front of the cards, and overall wackiness. I hope more companies like Diamond Select get ahold of the TMNT license in the future. There should be more homages to the first TMNT action figure line.
I don't understand the logic here. The original Playmates toyline is the farthest thing from the FW designs. Heck, Napolean Bona Frog was transformed into a horned toad. I can't understand how one would be so lenient towards the Playmates toyline and be so hypercritical of the far more toon-accurate NECA figures. This type of compartmentalized thinking really hurts my head. I understand that some folks simply appreciate the Playmates toy designs, for whatever reason, and the Super 7 line would be aligned with their tastes. Unfortunately, there's very little correlation between the Playmates toys and the actual toon. However, having said, this, Playmates have done a much better job on the toys that were based on the 2003 series.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #3391
frank_one
Mad Scientist
 
frank_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Europe
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
In the cartoon, there were 4 metallic blades on each shoulder pad. The NECA version has 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
If this discrepancy and extreme level of minutiae is necessary to make "toon accurate" figures, I suppose you can just make your own.
I wouldn't call this "extreme level of minutiae". This figures are not cheap, there's nothing wrong to expect a character whose main feature is having blades on his body to have the right number of blades on his body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Each figure costs around $100,000 to produce
That's not our business.
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #3392
Dask
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I wouldn't call this "extreme level of minutiae". This figures are not cheap, there's nothing wrong to expect a character whose main feature is having blades on his body to have the right number of blades on his body.
That's not our business.

Probably not "extreme" but definitely not a deal breaker for the majority of turtle fans. Heck, I had to go through a number of cartoon screen caps and check out my NECA figure just to make sure.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:56 PM   #3393
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I don't understand the logic here. The original Playmates toyline is the farthest thing from the FW designs. Heck, Napolean Bona Frog was transformed into a horned toad. I can't understand how one would be so lenient towards the Playmates toyline and be so hypercritical of the far more toon-accurate NECA figures. This type of compartmentalized thinking really hurts my head. I understand that some folks simply appreciate the Playmates toy designs, for whatever reason, and the Super 7 line would be aligned with their tastes. Unfortunately, there's very little correlation between the Playmates toys and the actual toon. However, having said, this, Playmates have done a much better job on the toys that were based on the 2003 series.
Most (if not all) action figures and dolls from the 80s and 90s did not match their 30 minute toy advertisement counterparts. I’m one of the people that liked the original toyline for what it was, an action figure line designed by comic book artists. I understand the disappointment that children of the 80s and 90s had when they saw the toys, but I do not feel that the NECA Target 2-Pack line makes up for the lack of figures based on the miniseries, syndicated series, and both versions of the CBS Saturday morning cartoon. You said that the first wave turtles were not cartoon-accurate and Shredder had six blades on his shoulder pads in place of 4 blades.

I agree that the Disguise 4-Pack figures are little more of an improvement, but I do not like the black lines on these. My favorite NECA TMNT figures are from the movie series.

Most of all, I am over-critical of these because I am not a fan of 21st century action figures. The original four basic turtles are classic toys because they spark our imaginations and help people to recall when there were no other TMNT action figures in stores. The 2010s will not be remembered for the introduction of the Target 2-Pack, Arcade Game, and Movie figures by anyone other than adult toy collectors. That is where I am getting at. The original Playmates toyline is important to pop culture history, especially the early 90s.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-23-2021 at 07:19 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #3394
Dask
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Most (if not all) action figures and dolls from the 80s and 90s did not match their 30 minute toy advertisement counterparts. I’m one of the people that liked the original toyline for what it was, an action figure line designed by comic book artists. I understand the disappointment that children of the 80s and 90s had when they saw the toys, but I do not feel that the NECA Target 2-Pack line makes up for the lack of figures based on the miniseries, syndicated series, and both versions of the CBS Saturday morning cartoon. You said that the first wave turtles were not cartoon-accurate and Shredder had six blades on his shoulder pads in place of 4 blades.

I agree that the Disguise 4-Pack figures are little more of an improvement, but I do not like the black lines on these. My favorite NECA TMNT figures are from the movie series.
I wasn't a huge fan of the Playmates line. I collected sparingly and oftentimes begrudgingly knowing that the toys had very little resemblance to the cartoon (I did get more than two-thirds of the 2003 line because they didn't seem as random and there was some fidelity). There was a time that I got annoyed and spray painted my General Traag figure gold because it irritated me. It was just a sloppy, cluttered design. So, when I saw the NECA toon line I was thrilled (even more so because I really hoped that Bandai wouldn't cancel the Shredder and continue releasing turtles in waves). I agree the movie line is phenomenal and most toys these days don't even compare, especially at the price range. The Jim Henson level of detail is astonishing.

Do you have an issue with the core characters only? I mean...I'm looking at the Punk Frogs and Vernon and even Krang's Android Body and I can hardly picture any company doing anything better. The same for Traag and Granitor, and perhaps, Splinter. The Mondo Gecko even replicated the jawline and semi-smug grin....

Do you plan on getting the Disguise 4-Pack? It looks like a step up from the Bandai figures. I hope they have more than just the two expressions (similar to the frogs?) that they've showed (I've heard something about mixing and matching parts)...

Black lines? Are you referring to the brush strokes that give them a cel-shaded, quasi-cartoonish look? (most of the folks at Fwoosh's TMNT forum wants the NECA disguise figures to have the accentuated beak line). The bold lines look appears to be a decision that was made early on for the line by the NECA artists/sculptors themselves. I personally don't think it detracts from the overall look of the show that they were going for.

Last edited by Dask; 01-24-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:52 AM   #3395
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 21,825
This is just my own two cents, as I haven't found any of these things and don't plan to ever pay the outrageous eBay prices to jump in NOW.

But hypothetically-speaking, If I Did...

I don't need the Turtles to be 100% "FW Toon Accurate" on account of I don't especially want, like, or need "goofier" head/face sculpts. I get why some people would, as they're sticklers for "Perfect Fidelity", but I frankly much prefer the ones we already got from the first wave. They look "recognizable" as the FW Turtles without being a 1:1 recreation of the likeness, and they immediately make me think of the first five episodes, which were the altogether best material that show ever put out. Again, not perfectly accurate to that series but it's what those heads make me think of immediately.

And I'm fine with that. For me, this is one of those "It doesn't HAVE to be 1:1 accurate because it just plain looks better" kinda things. I'd want the TMNT figures on my shelf to look like they were about to go whip someone's ass, not handing out pitchers of soda at Chuck E. Cheese.

BUT, that's just how I feel about it. It also doesn't really matter, since, y'know... I don't own any and probably never will. But I DO think people are a BIT too hung up on the minutiae, just a tad. The awful April head notwithstanding, that really shouldn't have happened.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:14 AM   #3396
silverhick
New Recruit
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Android Krang and Splinter Baxter 2 Pack live on Target now.

https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mut...y/-/A-80339740

https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mut...k/-/A-80339748
silverhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #3397
lilmotto
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 750
Still available. Thanks!
__________________
I list items on ebay frequently:
http://shop.ebay.com/lilmotto/m.html...1&_from=&_ipg=
lilmotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #3398
lonewarrior20
Stone Warrior
 
lonewarrior20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: pekin,IL
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhick View Post
Android Krang and Splinter Baxter 2 Pack live on Target now.

https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mut...y/-/A-80339740
grabbed it and the pop april to boot. ironic that it was 34.99 but needed 35 for free shipping but they don't count tax toward it.
__________________
"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics


lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #3399
lilmotto
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
grabbed it and the pop april to boot. ironic that it was 34.99 but needed 35 for free shipping but they don't count tax toward it.
I don't know of any stores that have shipping thresholds that do include tax in the threshold.
__________________
I list items on ebay frequently:
http://shop.ebay.com/lilmotto/m.html...1&_from=&_ipg=
lilmotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #3400
lonewarrior20
Stone Warrior
 
lonewarrior20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: pekin,IL
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmotto View Post
I don't know of any stores that have shipping thresholds that do include tax in the threshold.
i was just tryin to make a joke on just being 1 cent short for free shipping.
__________________
"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics


lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.