The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #41
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
It isn't just a lack of DVD release -- the 2k3 show doesn't get acknowledged hardly at all. It's really good, the fans love it, and yet Nick just kinda pretends it never happened.

What is up with that? It just feels so suspicious.
I'm sure they don't want it to compete with their own series, hence the rumour going round that they'll release it on DVD if their series and the new movie do well.
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #42
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I could buy that reasoning if they ignored the 87 series too. But they re-release that thing all the time, I see DVDs all over the place, and merch for it is everywhere too.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #43
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Everyone has their preference of what is their definitive version of a series. With Batman, most would say the Animated Series but does that make it fact just because everyone says that?

TMNT 2k3 is my favorite version not only because it's based off the Mirage comics but a lot of the stories that aren't off of the comics are very well done. I also think the 2k3 show has some of the most creative characters I have ever seen in the franchise (Angel, Hun, Quarry, Razorfist, Stonebitter, Bishop, Touch & Go, etc.). I love the characterizations and how the turtles manage to bond and meet people outside the sewers. Some of my favorite Raphael episodes are "Raph & The Lone Cub" (don't remember the title) where he stops searching for Splinter to help a lost boy find his mother who has been kidnapped and "Touch & Go" (which was also a Mike episode) where he befriends an old blind lady whose losing her house due to financial problems and uses the money that Mike and Splinter found and gives it to her to help her troubles. I feel that while Leo probably got the most character development, all of the other turtles had plenty of episodes that focused on them and helped develop their characters as well. This show also has my favorite version of April because I love her big sister role in this show such as believing in Mikey to pursue his superhero dream.

For me, the OT is still a classic but it hasn't aged well in recent years and while I find the 2012 storylines to be well done, they just aren't as strong and captivating as this show's stories for me. And I certainly would not pick 2012 over the Mirage series or first film. But I really do love this series and it shows what 4Kids can really do when they try.
Agree with the vast majority of that. I watched "Lone Raph and Cub" last night and it's still as lovely as ever. One of the better filler episodes from season 1.

I think the thing with this show is that it just has something special about it. Clearly most of us here are more interested in the Turtles than any other property/entertainment and that's why those of us who have seen the show in its entirety know many episodes off by heart. The pacing of the show throughout the first four seasons (and even NT) is nigh-on perfect and the main arc of the show is pretty coherent.

It's a shame that this show was overlooked when it was released (and still is) but there are many reasons for that. It came out at a time when the turtles franchise was in somewhat of a lull, and it's also a bit darker than many parents would have liked. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but 4kids isn't as big in the USA as the likes of Nickelodeon is it? I was always under the impression that it wasn't a household name, but not being American I could well be wrong about that. If true that would probably account for why it didn't get great ratings at the time.

All that matters in most cases is individual opinion. Those of us who remember this series fondly and rate it as the best of the three cartoons don't have to worry about its lack of popularity (other than when it comes to no DVD boxset releases). There's no correlation between popularity and quality.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but 4kids isn't as big in the USA as the likes of Nickelodeon is it? I was always under the impression that it wasn't a household name, but not being American I could well be wrong about that. If true that would probably account for why it didn't get great ratings at the time.
No, 4Kids is not a household name over here. In fact, back when 2k3 was airing, 4Kids had a very bad reputation, particularly among anime fans, for its butchered dubbing of One Piece and Sonic X [IIRC, both of which aired alongside TMNT] and its heavy editing to Yugioh and mediocre dubbing of anything else it got its hands on. The only thing people generally agree that 4Kids did right was Pokémon.

However, 2k3 came on Saturday mornings on Fox. That was a fairly popular channel, though not the best -- a few years prior to the Fox Box programming block, Fox Kids was around and aired stuff like Digimon and Monster Rancher. [Unfortunately Digimon is the only reason Fox Kids survived as long as it did since other networks honestly had better cartoons. The only reason why I even had an interest in the Fox Box is because of Fox Kids since I'm a huge fan of Digimon.]

SO ULTIMATELY the answer to your question is yes and no. Fox was not the best channel for the show to have been on, but if it hadn't been on it, we probably would have gotten a more watered-down show.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

The show ran for 156 episodes, 7 seasons and a movie. It's one of the longest running cartoons in history. Claiming it was overlooked or short changed is absurd.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #46
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
No, 4Kids is not a household name over here. In fact, back when 2k3 was airing, 4Kids had a very bad reputation, particularly among anime fans, for its butchered dubbing of One Piece and Sonic X [IIRC, both of which aired alongside TMNT] and its heavy editing to Yugioh and mediocre dubbing of anything else it got its hands on. The only thing people generally agree that 4Kids did right was Pokémon.

However, 2k3 came on Saturday mornings on Fox. That was a fairly popular channel, though not the best -- a few years prior to the Fox Box programming block, Fox Kids was around and aired stuff like Digimon and Monster Rancher. [Unfortunately Digimon is the only reason Fox Kids survived as long as it did since other networks honestly had better cartoons. The only reason why I even had an interest in the Fox Box is because of Fox Kids since I'm a huge fan of Digimon.]

SO ULTIMATELY the answer to your question is yes and no. Fox was not the best channel for the show to have been on, but if it hadn't been on it, we probably would have gotten a more watered-down show.
Ahh right, thanks for the info

I'm glad it wasn't on a more 'popular' channel then as I would never want to compromise quality or creative license (in terms of 'grittiness', yes there's that word again) for popularity.

When you really think about it this show gets away with a lot considering it is aimed primarily at kids. Although those of us who grew up in the eighties will have been a target as well. I'm just pleased that Laird was able to stick to his guns and hence the show was able to create some good adaptations of comic storylines.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #47
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The show ran for 156 episodes, 7 seasons and a movie. It's one of the longest running cartoons in history. Claiming it was overlooked or short changed is absurd.
People mean relatively speaking - it isn't as popular as the Nick or especially the FW shows. Obvious reasons for that, but in terms of quality it has a claim to being comfortably the best of the three.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #48
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Ahh right, thanks for the info

I'm glad it wasn't on a more 'popular' channel then as I would never want to compromise quality or creative license (in terms of 'grittiness', yes there's that word again) for popularity.

When you really think about it this show gets away with a lot considering it is aimed primarily at kids. Although those of us who grew up in the eighties will have been a target as well. I'm just pleased that Laird was able to stick to his guns and hence the show was able to create some good adaptations of comic storylines.
Heh, it wouldn't be the first time Fox aired a "kids" show that was rather questionable in content. But hey, TMNT got one episode rejected and another unaired, so I suppose the censors weren't completely asleep for this show.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #49
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Heh, it wouldn't be the first time Fox aired a "kids" show that was rather questionable in content. But hey, TMNT got one episode rejected and another unaired, so I suppose the censors weren't completely asleep for this show.
Ha, that looks pretty controversial. I've kept that show open in a window to learn more about it - thanks for alerting me to it. I do respect that Fox were trying to push the envelope though.

I have been meaning to watch more anime, actually. I've only seen Death Note and 90% of Monster, I'd like to start watching Code Geass, FMA:B, Darker than Black etc.

Yeah, Hun and Garbageman being conjoined twins was probably the most sensitive thing about the entire show. No surprise the ep wasn't aired. I'm not sure children would be able to handle an issue such as that. "Insane in the Membrane" was probably the darkest episode of the show. My little cousin still tells me it scares him, lol.

Like many on here, I read the Mirage comics AFTER I watched the 4kids show. So when Leo 'decapitated' Shredder, you can imagine that I was shocked. It all made sense after Shredder was revealed to be an utrom, but it was something which you'd imagine many kids may have struggled to understand (and struggled with even more when Shredder picked his severed head up).
Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #50
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Ha, that looks pretty controversial. I've kept that show open in a window to learn more about it - thanks for alerting me to it. I do respect that Fox were trying to push the envelope though.

I have been meaning to watch more anime, actually. I've only seen Death Note and 90% of Monster, I'd like to start watching Code Geass, FMA:B, Darker than Black etc.

Yeah, Hun and Garbageman being conjoined twins was probably the most sensitive thing about the entire show. No surprise the ep wasn't aired. I'm not sure children would be able to handle an issue such as that. "Insane in the Membrane" was probably the darkest episode of the show. My little cousin still tells me it scares him, lol.

Like many on here, I read the Mirage comics AFTER I watched the 4kids show. So when Leo 'decapitated' Shredder, you can imagine that I was shocked. It all made sense after Shredder was revealed to be an utrom, but it was something which you'd imagine many kids may have struggled to understand (and struggled with even more when Shredder picked his severed head up).
Heh, you're welcome! I love me some Digimon and Digimon Tamers [my favourite continuity] is slightly overlooked because it was darker than what came before it. If I'm allowed, I can [and have in the past] go on for HOURS about how Tamers and 2k3 are really similar, even down to fan reaction -- the two shows were produced at around the same time [2001-2002, and 2003, respectively], both of them were regarded as "they changed it now it sucks" at first but were later given a "it's the darker and edgier version and respect-worthy" label after they ended, both feature wham episodes that crank up the "emotionally traumatizing events happening to fictional characters" meter, and they even take similar approaches to character writing, especially in relation to series instalments prior. But I should probably shut my trap now and just end this with a mention that Tamers along with Digimon Adventure and its sequel Digimon Adventure 02 are on Netflix right now. I've been rewatching them :V

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if the conjoined twins thing was really that "out there" for me. I suppose in the 2000's my answer might have been different, but as it stands now, I feel Insane in the Membrane and Same as it Never Was were much less kid-friendly than that concept. I dunno, I just always had the feeling the idea was deemed so controversial just because it was Hun and Garbageman, the latter of which wasn't too popular a villain.

But yeah, I didn't start reading Mirage until after I watched most of 2k3 myself. I've seen some violence in cartoons and I've seen some real instances of getting **** past the radar, but nothing beats decapitating the Shredder. When I showed my mother that part of that episode, she even told me "if I had seen this on Saturday morning when you were 12, I probably wouldn't have let you keep watching this". [I have the feeling she was exaggerating though since I was watching Inuyasha at the same time as this, and she used to sit down and watch that one with me so she KNEW how bad it was].
Old 07-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #51
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Heh, you're welcome! I love me some Digimon and Digimon Tamers [my favourite continuity] is slightly overlooked because it was darker than what came before it. If I'm allowed, I can [and have in the past] go on for HOURS about how Tamers and 2k3 are really similar, even down to fan reaction -- the two shows were produced at around the same time [2001-2002, and 2003, respectively], both of them were regarded as "they changed it now it sucks" at first but were later given a "it's the darker and edgier version and respect-worthy" label after they ended, both feature wham episodes that crank up the "emotionally traumatizing events happening to fictional characters" meter, and they even take similar approaches to character writing, especially in relation to series instalments prior. But I should probably shut my trap now and just end this with a mention that Tamers along with Digimon Adventure and its sequel Digimon Adventure 02 are on Netflix right now. I've been rewatching them :V

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if the conjoined twins thing was really that "out there" for me. I suppose in the 2000's my answer might have been different, but as it stands now, I feel Insane in the Membrane and Same as it Never Was were much less kid-friendly than that concept. I dunno, I just always had the feeling the idea was deemed so controversial just because it was Hun and Garbageman, the latter of which wasn't too popular a villain.

But yeah, I didn't start reading Mirage until after I watched most of 2k3 myself. I've seen some violence in cartoons and I've seen some real instances of getting **** past the radar, but nothing beats decapitating the Shredder. When I showed my mother that part of that episode, she even told me "if I had seen this on Saturday morning when you were 12, I probably wouldn't have let you keep watching this". [I have the feeling she was exaggerating though since I was watching Inuyasha at the same time as this, and she used to sit down and watch that one with me so she KNEW how bad it was].
Well, it seems like a pretty interesting show. I'm glad you enjoy it. Is it on the UK Netflix too? There used to be lots of anime there but much of it was removed. Makes no difference anyway as I can access US Netflix

Yeah, the conjoined twins thing didn't bother me in the slightest, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking more in terms of the kids - many of them wouldn't understand what was going on. Garbageman wasn't popular - I didn't like him either. Perhaps you're right in saying that was a reason for it being canned.

SAINW is just brilliant, could rewatch that episode again and again. It's pretty similar to the Gargoyles ep involving time travel, as well as Days of Future Past.

What your mum said to you may only have been half-serious, but lots of parents would have genuinely meant it. I mean I was 21 at the time and even I found it pretty shocking - I can imagine it may have been upsetting for some kids - although you were 12 at the time the show came out, right? Did you watch the show years afterwards?

Either way, I love the show. I'm gonna log out in about half an hour and go watch some more of it, as well as some more Hannibal. This is my favourite cartoon of all time, even beating Justice League TAS and Batman TAS.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #52
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:

Yeah, the conjoined twins thing didn't bother me in the slightest, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm thinking more in terms of the kids - many of them wouldn't understand what was going on. Garbageman wasn't popular - I didn't like him either. Perhaps you're right in saying that was a reason for it being canned.

SAINW is just brilliant, could rewatch that episode again and again. It's pretty similar to the Gargoyles ep involving time travel, as well as Days of Future Past.

What your mum said to you may only have been half-serious, but lots of parents would have genuinely meant it. I mean I was 21 at the time and even I found it pretty shocking - I can imagine it may have been upsetting for some kids - although you were 12 at the time the show came out, right? Did you watch the show years afterwards?

Either way, I love the show. I'm gonna log out in about half an hour and go watch some more of it, as well as some more Hannibal. This is my favourite cartoon of all time, even beating Justice League TAS and Batman TAS.
No idea if it's on UK Netflix, since I don't have access to anything but US Netflix on my PS3, which is where I do most of my watching. :V

Yeah, Garbageman wasn't a popular character or episode [though I liked the episode and didn't feel strongly either way about the character] and given the, uh, gross-ness of his appearance, the conjoined twin thing was probably more grotesque than it needed to be. That'd be my guess as to why that never went through. It's a bit of a shame, though, since I would have liked some fleshing out of that particular villain [and more fleshing out of Hun is always good too].

And oh yeah I'm well aware. I was big on DBZ when it got popular too and so many kids I knew had parents that forbade them from watching it! When I started watching it, I actually tried to hide it from my parents for fear I wouldn't be allowed to watch it either.

My dad's a martial artist though so violent cartoons don't bother him in the slightest [and I myself had been taking karate classes since I was 8] and mom just knew I wouldn't try to beat people up ["never fight unless someone else starts" indeed] so as far as she was concerned there was no harm in me watching stuff like that. When I was a kid she'd even repeatedly ask me when the right time to fight was, just to make sure I knew always saying stuff like "I don't want to be called up to the school to take you home if you give some kid a bloody nose... UNLESS they hit you first."

Anyway, yeah, I actually didn't watch too much of 2k3 when it first aired. Something I kinda regret, haha. I actually didn't sit down and marathon it until muuuuuuch much later, so I was exposed to most of the series as an adult. It's definitely my favourite western animated show out there, barely beating ATLA.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #53
THGhost
Puppet Master

So, the new movie is making tons of money and is getting a sequel. Now how about some 2K3 DVDs, huh Nick?

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #54
darthwahl56
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
So, the new movie is making tons of money and is getting a sequel. Now how about some 2K3 DVDs, huh Nick?
Make that a battle shell case set holding the entire series like the Fred Wolf series had the Turtle van case.

"Party Wagon on the Move!"
darthwahl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 AM   #55
Turtle Park
Random Punk

Need help

Maybe the question belong to other thread, but I don't know where to post it.
I just saw the episode called "Secret origin part 2"(the 7th episode of season 2 I guess). There's a scene when shredder got the sword of tengu, and he said something like "Just as...undescended from goblins.
Anybody know what is he saying?

Last edited by Turtle Park; 02-06-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Turtle Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #56
ImmaAxolotl
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Park View Post
Maybe the question belong to other thread, but I don't know where to post it.
I just saw the episode called "Secret origin part 2"(the 7th episode of season 2 I guess). There's a scene when shredder got the sword of tengu, and he said something like "Just as...undescended from goblins.
Anybody know what is he saying?
He was saying, "Just as ninjas are said to have descended from goblins, so did this blade. Let us say that it... fell from the heavens." I'm paraphrasing, but that was what he basically said.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #57
Turtle Park
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaAxolotl View Post
He was saying, "Just as ninjas are said to have descended from goblins, so did this blade. Let us say that it... fell from the heavens." I'm paraphrasing, but that was what he basically said.
Thanks dude!
Everything make sense now
Turtle Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #58
ImmaAxolotl
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Park View Post
Thanks dude!
Everything make sense now
Glad to help!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #59
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Nick commemorates the 16th anniversary of the series' television debut:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtoYi2lBWIR/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:59 PM   #60
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Nick commemorates the 16th anniversary of the series' television debut:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtoYi2lBWIR/
That’s good. Thanks for sharing.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote